HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Rumor: Palffy to Join Demitra in LA

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2006, 02:36 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

vCash: 500
Rumor: Palffy to Join Demitra in LA

"Last thursday before the game against Edmonton, on the Kings pregame show called "Break the Ice", Marty McSorley was interviewing Pavol Demitra who was not playing in that game. Mcsorley asked Demitra if he has been talking to his friend Pallfy. Demitra says they have been chatting and would like the opportunity to play together. When asked if he thought Palffy would be available to play in LA next year, Demitra smiled, winked, and said he couldnt comment."

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/default.html (Final note of Jan 29 Rumors)

Old
01-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Yeah, most of us watched it. I don't think so.

Old
01-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Chuck Norris*

plz **** and go back to pittsburg... ugly

Old
01-29-2006, 03:49 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Yeah, most of us watched it. I don't think so.
and some of us didn't watch it, but do think it's within the realm of possibility.

Old
01-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Metallian*

Pittsburgh still retains Palffy's rights. You can't just "retire" to get out of a contract for half a season to sign with someone else the next year when you're in a multi-year deal...

Old
01-29-2006, 04:48 PM
hattrick74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallian
Pittsburgh still retains Palffy's rights. You can't just "retire" to get out of a contract for half a season to sign with someone else the next year when you're in a multi-year deal...

i dont believe pit has his rights anymore, but the league policy is when you file for retirement (thus voiding your contract) you are prohbited from signing with another team until the next season.

Old
01-29-2006, 04:56 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
believe me, Pittsburgh, if they do retain his rights, would certainly use them as a tradeable asset. Not that difficult to swing a deal.

Old
01-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick74
i dont believe pit has his rights anymore, but the league policy is when you file for retirement (thus voiding your contract) you are prohbited from signing with another team until the next season.
You can't just retire to get out of a contract and then come back. That would be absurd. If it were possible, Witt would've "retired" long ago to get out of Washington (which he's wanted to do for a long time).

Old
01-29-2006, 10:56 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
You can't just retire to get out of a contract and then come back. That would be absurd. If it were possible, Witt would've "retired" long ago to get out of Washington (which he's wanted to do for a long time).

To my knowledge he cant play the reminder of the season but he can play anywhere next season.

Old
01-29-2006, 10:59 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

yeah...i think its highly unlikely that Ziggy will return to the Kings....that's just way to shady...to abandon a terrible situation, only to jump ship

Old
01-30-2006, 02:27 AM
Mindcircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
yeah...i think its highly unlikely that Ziggy will return to the Kings....that's just way to shady...to abandon a terrible situation, only to jump ship
Are you talking about yourself in the third person?

Old
01-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkngs
To my knowledge he cant play the reminder of the season but he can play anywhere next season.
I'm sure that that's only if your contract would be up after the season, anyways. Let me use another example. Let's say that Frolov has a 120-point season next year, but the Kings are mathematically out of the playoffs. You're telling me that he could simply retire so that he could negotiate a new contract for the next year that pays him a whole lot more than the $2M that he's currently making? It'd be patently absurd if a player under contract could get away with this.

Old
01-30-2006, 05:15 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I'm sure that that's only if your contract would be up after the season, anyways. Let me use another example. Let's say that Frolov has a 120-point season next year, but the Kings are mathematically out of the playoffs. You're telling me that he could simply retire so that he could negotiate a new contract for the next year that pays him a whole lot more than the $2M that he's currently making? It'd be patently absurd if a player under contract could get away with this.
You're might be right that he couldn't just have his pick of teams. But as Tubby mentioned, Pittsburgh would probably view him as a tradeable asset.

At this point, it doesn't look like the Pens will be taking on nearly as much payroll next year as they are this year. So, knowing this probability, if Palffy were to come out of retirement and then offer his services to the Pens(pretty much knowing they'd decline) he could then go or be traded to the team of his choice. It may not be a very professional thing to do(if his reasons were based solely on jumping ship) but retirement doesn't come with any sort of ban from the possibility of return.

Old
01-30-2006, 09:48 AM
B-MEL

In the "Old" CBA. If a player SIGNS their retirement papers. They are done for 1 year. PERIOD.

If Palffy has not signed his "official" retirement papers, the Pens could trade him.

IF he has signed the papers. He must wait until next year AND all 30 teams must agree to let him play. as per the old CBA

B-MEL

Old
01-30-2006, 03:57 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcircus
Are you talking about yourself in the third person?
its obvious

Closed Thread