Not a game thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 11:23 PM
lux_interior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269
Interesting note on the recap of the game on espn.com.

Game notes
Flyers general manager Bobby Clarke finds it weird to see Fedorov in a Ducks uniform after 13 seasons with Detroit. "I would never be able to understand Fedorov leaving Detroit for Anaheim," Clarke said. "I'm just talking about the pressure that comes from playing in Detroit, Philadelphia, Montreal or Toronto. That is a good atmosphere to be a hockey player in, and the type of atmosphere you want to be in.."
Yeah, well consider the source.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:52 AM
soya_sauce_chicken

i think the first line looked like chemistry is starting to flow..
Andy--Feds-Sykora
prospal--rucchin--neids looked good as well.. it appears that they are starting to complement each other which is a good thing..
i think the ducks needs to do what the Wild does.. switch goalies.. see how Gerber plays vs Buff... if he does well, again vs chicago...
Booger is right, jiggy doesn't appear to be seeing the puck.. even if they were deflections, he should have gotten those last 2...

Old
10-23-2003, 10:16 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Jiggy overcommitted on the first two Flyers goals, in that he went too far over to the left on the first and too far over to the right on the second. I will recheck the video but it looked like he 'overcovered' the short side. But you know what, what I think doesn't matter because the Ducks won. When a team finds ways to win like this, it's a good thing.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:12 AM
soya_sauce_chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior
That hit he threw on Lapointe just inside the Ducks blue line was the best hit of the game.

I'm starting to get a little tired of Burnett.

Prospal is starting to show signs of life.
i like burnett.. :p
also, i liked how Ward came back for his first game and within minutes he gets a penalty.. lol.. that was cool

Old
10-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken
i like burnett..
Burnett is an absolute waste of space, 30 seconds of ice time against Philly says it all.

In comparison Smirnov got 6:30, Krog 10:30, and Johnson 11:00.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:47 PM
cheesymc

Send a message via AIM to cheesymc
Thats the reason why i think we need a more playable enforcer, one that can check and play d as well as stand in front of the net.

Guys we could of had were like Peat, Parker, etc. Burnett is not the best of fighers and isnt that great of a player from what i see. Id prefer to have 2 middleweights who can play over one heavyweights who you dont even put out on the ice.

Old
10-23-2003, 02:50 PM
caliamad

Personally I think you guys are way off with Jiggy and Vish... Jiggy didn't look great, but he didn't look horrible, he's not the reason why we're losing leads. Our team look exhausted down the stretch, and the lack of Carney was really obvious there. If he's on the ice, no way does Amonte get such a clean look at the net.

I also think Vish has looked really strong this season, and I'd rather have him in the lineup than Simpson. Raw talent in Vish is beginning to emerge, and to me Simpson is a slow bum... He still has to learn those things that Carney does so well, but I like what I see, and I hope they give him more playing time.

And although I think the Federov, Sykora, and McDonald is beginning to show promise, I think they need more size, and more drive to get in front of the net. With Sykora and Feds, a lot of juicy rebounds will be out there, and we don't have anyone who will fight through big defensema.

I'd like to see Niedermayer, Leclerc out there, but I truly covet a forward like Bertuzzi. Someone just nasty and hard to play against.

Old
10-23-2003, 04:13 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad
Personally I think you guys are way off with Jiggy and Vish... Jiggy didn't look great, but he didn't look horrible, he's not the reason why we're losing leads. Our team look exhausted down the stretch, and the lack of Carney was really obvious there. If he's on the ice, no way does Amonte get such a clean look at the net.

I also think Vish has looked really strong this season, and I'd rather have him in the lineup than Simpson. Raw talent in Vish is beginning to emerge, and to me Simpson is a slow bum... He still has to learn those things that Carney does so well, but I like what I see, and I hope they give him more playing time.

And although I think the Federov, Sykora, and McDonald is beginning to show promise, I think they need more size, and more drive to get in front of the net. With Sykora and Feds, a lot of juicy rebounds will be out there, and we don't have anyone who will fight through big defensema.

I'd like to see Niedermayer, Leclerc out there, but I truly covet a forward like Bertuzzi. Someone just nasty and hard to play against.
Vish is scared of handling the puck, he always will be. He definetly hasnt had a strong season...I don't know what you have been seeing him do, but he gives the puck away too much and is not hitting like he should be.

The first line is perfect the way it is...McDonald will get more of those loose pucks than the average 6'0+ player...so far he has been great for Sykora and Federov...

Niedermayer was our Bertuzzi in the playoffs. He works well with other big players like Rucchin. Personally i like the Niedermayer-Rucchin-Prospal line.

Our lines are cool.
1st line-speed/skill line
2nd line-defense/physical
3rd line-Kid Line
4th line-PK guys and goon

Old
10-24-2003, 12:13 AM
HockeyNight

Quote:

Our lines are cool.
1st line-speed/skill line
2nd line-defense/physical
3rd line-Kid Line
4th line-PK guys and goon

i like the lines aswell.. but i still want to see the result if Prospal centers Chistov and Lupul..

place Pahlsson on the Ruchin line.. Pretty much the shutdown/defense physical line..

its cuz Pahlsson had some great chances but he could never bury those passes by Chistov.. just think if Prospal was in there instead..

the only thing that worries me with a Chistov Prospal Lupul line is that, all three are not well known for their defensive liability.

Just some thoughts

Old
10-24-2003, 07:42 AM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
How can you blame Burnett for playing only 0.30?? So far he hasn't show any signs of being a defensive liability but still coach gives him only seconds of icetime.
I didn't see anyone "blame" Burnett, its a simple fact that Babcock will not play the guy and I'm sure he has his reasons. A guy sitting on the bench for 59:30 is a waste of a roster spot plain and simple. You have to feel for a guy like Severson who got shipped to Cincy instead of Burnett.

Or Ward who's been sitting in the pressbox while Burnett keeps the bench warm. It was great to see Lance finally get a game... responsible with the puck, willing to drop the gloves, and a HUGE hit. I just hope Carney coming back means the end of Burnett with Ward moved up to forward on the 4th line.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:10 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD
i like the lines aswell.. but i still want to see the result if Prospal centers Chistov and Lupul..

place Pahlsson on the Ruchin line.. Pretty much the shutdown/defense physical line..

its cuz Pahlsson had some great chances but he could never bury those passes by Chistov.. just think if Prospal was in there instead..

the only thing that worries me with a Chistov Prospal Lupul line is that, all three are not well known for their defensive liability.

Just some thoughts
I think a line with Prospal and Chistov on it would be a disaster. No one would ever shoot.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:35 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
I think a line with Prospal and Chistov on it would be a disaster. No one would ever shoot.
Chistov hits more pipe than Rick James

Old
10-24-2003, 08:52 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.16.1974
Chistov hits more pipe than Rick James
Yes, but is he super-freaky?

Old
10-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

He passes when he should shoot, and shoots when he should pass.

He's getting better, but while he's learning he's not effective.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:25 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
He passes when he should shoot, and shoots when he should pass.

He's getting better, but while he's learning he's not effective.
I think he's shooting when he's supposed to this year (and it looks like he's got a little more zip on the shot, too). But I think sometimes he keeps stickhandling when he should pass.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt
I think he's shooting when he's supposed to this year (and it looks like he's got a little more zip on the shot, too). But I think sometimes he keeps stickhandling when he should pass.
A few times. I think he's interpreting the "shoot more" message from the coaches a little too literally. I can remember 3 different times either on power plays or off the cycle where he was the high man on a 3-on-1 down low, and he simply shot, where quick pass should have been a goal.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
What I meant was that Babcock SHOULD play Burnett more, if he's only going to give him 30 secs of icetime he is a waste of rosterspace indeed.

I don't think Ward or Severson are able to do the job Burnett has, Ward and Severson are ok fighters but they can't handle heavyweights of the league.

See what happens when Peters, Boulton & co. start running Ducks skill players, Burnett is the only one who can answer the bell.

My ideal lineup would have Burnett, Simpson, Severson and Ward in it.

Burnett and Severson as 4th liners with Krog or Johnson and Ward as 7th d-man with Simpson having his normal 2nd/3rd pairing spot.
If Peters of Boulton want to take a run, they'll take it. Burnett's not going to scare them off, you can't trust him enough to match him up against the Sabre's top lines so he could return the favor, and either one of those two Sabres would destroy Burnett.

Let them take their runs, get their penalties, and we can score on the powerplay.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Hank

Quote:
If Peters of Boulton want to take a run, they'll take it. Burnett's not going to scare them off, you can't trust him enough to match him up against the Sabre's top lines so he could return the favor, and either one of those two Sabres would destroy Burnett.

Let them take their runs, get their penalties, and we can score on the powerplay.
Salei's hit on Thornton is a perfect example of that, the cheap shots happen regardless. The Bruin that jumped in to "protect" his star did nothing but cost them a PP.

If you are really interested in eliminating cheap shots, lobby for refs that actually call penalties and enforce the rules as well as league officals that hand out more than token suspensions.

I've got nothing against a good fight between goons in the name of "setting the tone" or getting the crowd into a game, but be realistic, that's ALL it does. Any notion that it protects anybody is idiotic.

Old
10-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Hank

Quote:
Remember the season Kariya got whacked by Suter? What did Ducks do? NOTHING.
Retaliation against Suter changes nothing about Kariya's concussion. He is still injured. I will never agree that the cross check would not have happened if the Ducks had a goon. You disagree on that, I know.

Quote:
Players want to police the game themselves, back in time before the instigator penalty there were nowhere near the amount of cheapshots you see today. Players make ****loads of money, even a 10-game suspension only means an extra vacation in the middle of grueling season.
Comparing different eras of hockey doesn't work. Not for scoring or for cheapshots or anything else. The game was different. Remove the instigator in todays hockey and I don't think you change anything in terms of the player policing themselves. I could be wrong, but the league will never change the rule so we'll never find out for sure.

Suspensions and penalties costs teams wins. That is the motivating factor, not the little cash that you'd take away from one player. You can't tell me Dallas as a team wouldn't suffer if Hatcher had been out 10-15 games every time he deserved it (for example).

Quote:
btw, when did you start watching hockey (genuine question, not trying to insult you or anything)?
I started going to North Stars games as a kid a little over 20 years ago but as teenager I was more into baseball than hockey. The Twins winning the Series in 87 and 91 had a lot to do with that. But the Stars trip to the finals in 91 got me back into hockey and that's pretty much the only sport I've followed seriously since then.

Old
10-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

after the Suter hit, I think the team was more worried about Paul Kariya then trying to beat up Gary Suter....

Old
10-24-2003, 02:58 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
You claiming that it doesn't protect anybody is pure ignorance, the players THEMSELVES have said that they like playing when they know that there's someone who can take care if it gets rough.
I think it's purely psychological for the team with the enforcer, because if a team knows they have to run the other team's stars to win, they're going to do it regardless unless they have absolutely no heart or courage whatsoever. Two goons fighting each other won't stop a Scott Stevens from hitting somebody.

Quote:
Hell, how do you think Gretzky managed to stay healthy? You don't think McClelland, Semenko, Brown, McSorley had anything to do with it?
Maybe a little something, but it had more to do with, 1) Gretzky was very shifty and knew how to avoid hits, 2) he was such a good passer that you couldn't overcommit to chasing him around, you had to play off him or else give up a ton of great chances to his teammates, and 3) his teams were so dominating offensively that opponents were peeing their pants at the mere thought of putting Gretzky on the power play.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Yah. Gretzky didn't always skate like he did when he was 39. He used to be able to move.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:40 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
No, the no.1 reason why Gretzky wasn't cheapshotted was the fact that Semenko would break your skull either immediately after or in the next game. You just knew it.
I don't think so. You think when the Isles were going for a Cup and knew they had to run Gretz, they'd stop because of Semenko? Only if they didn't really want the Cup that badly. Hockey players will take all sorts of abuse to help their teams win, they're not going to back off for anything.

Besides, you could see that as time went on, Gretz got run more and more, even when McSorely or someone similar was around. How do you explain that?

The idea that Gretz wasn't cheapshotted is a myth. There was no unwritten rule you don't hit him, there was nobody scared of being beat up ... the problem was most of the time you just couldn't catch him. But on the few occasions I've seen someone line him up, I've never seen that person pass up a hit.

If enforcers were all it took, Bobby Clarke never would have been cheapshotted in his entire career.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:02 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Semenko with his crazy look in his eyes.....

"How about you and I go for a canoe ride?"

Old
10-25-2003, 07:04 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Ahem, what are these cheapshots that Clarke got from opponents? He was the one doing the cheapshotting with Hammer Schultz covering his back and fighting his fights.
Clarke took his share of abuse. Okay, he didn't have to fight after dishing out, but that didn't mean he wasn't getting run. Just take one look at his teeth, or ask him how his knees are.

Closed Thread