HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Topic Thread - Winter IS ovah.. Officially, anyway

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2017, 11:34 AM
  #101
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 22,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Well I maintained my record of flowers for the Bride on January 14.
The anniversary of our first date.

39 years and I havent missed one yet with a bouquet.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
attention all partners and spouses...

Kovi is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 11:49 AM
  #102
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson
 
BMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeastern CT
Country: United States
Posts: 29,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Well I maintained my record of flowers for the Bride on January 14.
The anniversary of our first date.

39 years and I havent missed one yet with a bouquet.

Definitely a keeper

BMC is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 01:09 PM
  #103
Glove Malfunction
Ference is my binky
 
Glove Malfunction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Far NortheasternMass
Country: United States
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Well I maintained my record of flowers for the Bride on January 14.
The anniversary of our first date.

39 years and I havent missed one yet with a bouquet.

You're just an old softie.

Glove Malfunction is online now  
Old
01-14-2017, 02:01 PM
  #104
Rocko604
Playoffs?
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,825
vCash: 500
Great day for sports. Bruins game, followed by watching a bit of the Niagra/Hamilton OHL game before football starts. If only I wasn't sick. Concerned I'm developing Bronchitis. The Buckley's cough syrup didn't work (liars!) so I'm onto Benylin.

Rocko604 is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 03:59 PM
  #105
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee
 
eightspokedb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: cave of caerbannog
Posts: 5,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Well I maintained my record of flowers for the Bride on January 14.
The anniversary of our first date.

39 years and I havent missed one yet with a bouquet.

Wuv, tuw wuv....forevwah
😍😘😍😘😍😘😍😘

eightspokedb is offline  
Old
01-15-2017, 01:02 AM
  #106
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,730
vCash: 4000000
Ringling Brothers Circus is folding which to me graphically represents on how life has changed in the past couple of decades.

Ringling Bros. Circus, ‘The Greatest Show on Earth,’ to Close After 146 Years

Quote:
Ringling Bros. has two touring circuses this season and will perform 30 shows between now and May. Major stops include Atlanta, Washington, Philadelphia, Boston and Brooklyn. The final shows will be in Providence, Rhode Island, on May 7 and in Uniondale, New York, at the Nassau County Coliseum on May 21.
When I was a kid the circus would hit the Garden in May long after hockey and basketball were done and it was a family outing. By the mid 70's having the circus at the Garden in May just didn't work as the Bruins would play playoff games while the Garden had the full menagerie in the East Lobby and the arena stunk.

Jacobs then moved the circus to early October which meant for many years the Bruins would do their west coast trip right off the bat.

My son turns 25 today and I took him to the circus when he was 5 or 6 and he was bored out of his mind.

This is the same son who today needles his father by saying "Dad, all the Boston teams waited for me to be born before they won."

I can't disagree

Live moves on.


Last edited by Fenway; 01-15-2017 at 01:09 AM..
Fenway is online now  
Old
01-15-2017, 02:29 PM
  #107
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,730
vCash: 4000000
This is a three hanky story

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...c:article:stub

Fenway is online now  
Old
01-15-2017, 03:08 PM
  #108
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 22,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
He advised the students in the room “not to react so quickly when someone says something you may not agree with ... think before you ‘send.’ ”

Richard ended with a quote from Martin Luther King Jr.: “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’ ”




Proceed with compassion if something triggers you. Ask yourself, "where are my choosing from?" before you reply.

Always look for moments in which you can be kind.


Kovi is offline  
Old
01-15-2017, 03:27 PM
  #109
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,925
vCash: 500
Ok fans, the travel thread is locked. Mrs Odaat and I typically stay outside of your great city when visiting but we`d like to treat ourselves during our trip in July to see Tom Petty and stay downtown

We understand this is peak season so we`ll pay and that`s ok, but your recommendations for a nice hotel would be greatly appreciated. I get were looking at $300 minimum for a good hotel. Looking for something within walking distances of the TD/Downtown shopping

Thanks in advance

ODAAT is offline  
Old
01-15-2017, 03:33 PM
  #110
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,730
vCash: 4000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Ok fans, the travel thread is locked. Mrs Odaat and I typically stay outside of your great city when visiting but we`d like to treat ourselves during our trip in July to see Tom Petty and stay downtown

We understand this is peak season so we`ll pay and that`s ok, but your recommendations for a nice hotel would be greatly appreciated. I get were looking at $300 minimum for a good hotel. Looking for something within walking distances of the TD/Downtown shopping

Thanks in advance
It isn't locked

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=980489

Fenway is online now  
Old
01-16-2017, 06:22 AM
  #111
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
smithformeragent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 15,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I think the time has come to cut my father out of my life completely.

He's struggled with mental illness, substance abuse and has a history of domestic violence.
He was not invited to our wedding three years ago. He briefly went homeless and bottomed out about a year and a half ago. He got back on his medication.

He has slowly been slipping back and I noticed warning signs that nobody else was willing to acknowledge. This included family and his care team. Due to the legal aspect, he cannot be forced to take his prescribed medication. This hasn't stopped him from "Self medicating".

Things came to a head over the weekend. He's started with stalker like behavior including showing up at my in laws' unannounced as well as at church. He also obsesses over my work webpage.

My sister revealed that she has PTSD as a result of all of the things that transpired in our childhood.

__________________
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
smithformeragent is online now  
Old
01-16-2017, 06:51 AM
  #112
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Today would have been Dad's 81st birthday.
Sorry to hear, it`s tough for sure. I`ve lost both parents over the last 19 months. Spending some final time with Mum at Christmas of 2015 she told me to have some fun with what she and Dad left us, take that "woman of yours on a vacation to show those curves", even sick, she had a great sense of humor and it`s those things I remember about both when times like Birthday`s/Christmas have arrived.

So I took Mum`s advice, splurged big time and Mrs Odaat and I are off on a Sandals vacation staying at Sandals Ochi, Jamaica in March. Butler and all that fun stuff, over the top, never do it again but even with Mum gone, no way was I going to ignore her demands

ODAAT is offline  
Old
01-16-2017, 06:53 AM
  #113
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
thx Fenway and sorry for posting that stuff here, I was on my phone and it wouldn`t allow me in so I assumed it was locked

Sorry again

ODAAT is offline  
Old
01-16-2017, 06:55 AM
  #114
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I think the time has come to cut my father out of my life completely.

He's struggled with mental illness, substance abuse and has a history of domestic violence.
He was not invited to our wedding three years ago. He briefly went homeless and bottomed out about a year and a half ago. He got back on his medication.

He has slowly been slipping back and I noticed warning signs that nobody else was willing to acknowledge. This included family and his care team. Due to the legal aspect, he cannot be forced to take his prescribed medication. This hasn't stopped him from "Self medicating".

Things came to a head over the weekend. He's started with stalker like behavior including showing up at my in laws' unannounced as well as at church. He also obsesses over my work webpage.

My sister revealed that she has PTSD as a result of all of the things that transpired in our childhood.
All the best to you. I`ve been the one who needed to be "cut out", that was only by those whom I hadn`t already abandoned.

My personal issues have been expressed here before so no need to go into it again but since getting somewhat "healthy" over the last almost 12 years, I`ve had to separate myself from those who aren`t a positive impact on my life and it`s tough.

I`m no psychologist/psychiatrist but PM me if you need to vent or just to bend the ear of someone

ODAAT is offline  
Old
01-16-2017, 07:46 AM
  #115
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 22,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I think the time has come to cut my father out of my life completely.

He's struggled with mental illness, substance abuse and has a history of domestic violence.
He was not invited to our wedding three years ago. He briefly went homeless and bottomed out about a year and a half ago. He got back on his medication.

He has slowly been slipping back and I noticed warning signs that nobody else was willing to acknowledge. This included family and his care team. Due to the legal aspect, he cannot be forced to take his prescribed medication. This hasn't stopped him from "Self medicating".

Things came to a head over the weekend. He's started with stalker like behavior including showing up at my in laws' unannounced as well as at church. He also obsesses over my work webpage.

My sister revealed that she has PTSD as a result of all of the things that transpired in our childhood.

Honoring your courageous decision. While it's important to be kind and help others, you cant own other people's "stuff". They have to do that on their own.
People fall off and on our journey at different times. If a relationship isnt serving you, it's ok to step away.
Safety is always #1 and your ability to see what is best for you (and family)
Sending your dad compassion an strength.

Kovi is offline  
Old
01-16-2017, 09:27 AM
  #116
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: next to the bench
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,393
vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Well I maintained my record of flowers for the Bride on January 14.
The anniversary of our first date.

39 years and I havent missed one yet with a bouquet.

You are a good one

__________________
Winter is coming so the snowflakes will win!
Ladyfan is online now  
Old
01-16-2017, 09:43 AM
  #117
Alicat
City of Champions!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Titletown
Country: United States
Posts: 28,126
vCash: 500
Why do people think it is ok to ask not once but twice when a person is going to find someone and get married at another person's bridal shower?

As soon as I saw my aunt yesterday at my sister's shower, she asked me and then asked again when she was leaving.

I told her to go screw.

__________________
Do you believe in miracles?!

I am Boston Strong
6/15/11
4/15/13
10/30/13 | 2/1/15 | 2/5/17

Alicat is offline  
Old
01-16-2017, 09:49 AM
  #118
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
smithformeragent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 15,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
Why do people think it is ok to ask not once but twice when a person is going to find someone and get married at another person's bridal shower?

As soon as I saw my aunt yesterday at my sister's shower, she asked me and then asked again when she was leaving.

I told her to go screw.
I flat out said it was nobody else's business except my wife and mine when asked repeatedly by her grandmother and aunt when we were going to have kids.

I'm done caving to the pressure of others and I'm also done being polite as not to rock the boat.

smithformeragent is online now  
Old
01-16-2017, 11:02 AM
  #119
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson
 
BMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeastern CT
Country: United States
Posts: 29,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Sorry to hear, it`s tough for sure. I`ve lost both parents over the last 19 months. Spending some final time with Mum at Christmas of 2015 she told me to have some fun with what she and Dad left us, take that "woman of yours on a vacation to show those curves", even sick, she had a great sense of humor and it`s those things I remember about both when times like Birthday`s/Christmas have arrived.

So I took Mum`s advice, splurged big time and Mrs Odaat and I are off on a Sandals vacation staying at Sandals Ochi, Jamaica in March. Butler and all that fun stuff, over the top, never do it again but even with Mum gone, no way was I going to ignore her demands
Always listen to your mom

And have a wonderful time

BMC is offline  
Old
01-16-2017, 11:28 AM
  #120
Kovi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 22,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
Why do people think it is ok to ask not once but twice when a person is going to find someone and get married at another person's bridal shower?

As soon as I saw my aunt yesterday at my sister's shower, she asked me and then asked again when she was leaving.

I told her to go screw.
sorry that happened

but good for you--dont cave to pressure. that ended in divorce for me.

just be you

Kovi is offline  
Old
01-17-2017, 05:44 AM
  #121
Terrier
Registered User
 
Terrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Eugene Cernan, commander of Apollo 17, has passed away at 82.


http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/16/us/eug...ies/index.html

Terrier is offline  
Old
01-17-2017, 06:42 AM
  #122
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Grumpville USA
Country: United States
Posts: 47,800
vCash: 500
Awards:
Bruins are the least of my worries.

If you haven't noticed I've been sporadic the last couple of days. Our oil fired boiler 'collapsed' in on itself (google it) Sunday night, the house damn near burned down. We were lucky it happened while I was still awake.

Anyway we are currently living with space heaters and no hot water while awaiting replacement. Hopefully it gets done by Thursday night as projected.. $10,000.

I may be a bit a cranky.

__________________



You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
01-17-2017, 07:41 AM
  #123
Glove Malfunction
Ference is my binky
 
Glove Malfunction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Far NortheasternMass
Country: United States
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Bruins are the least of my worries.

If you haven't noticed I've been sporadic the last couple of days. Our oil fired boiler 'collapsed' in on itself (google it) Sunday night, the house damn near burned down. We were lucky it happened while I was still awake.

Anyway we are currently living with space heaters and no hot water while awaiting replacement. Hopefully it gets done by Thursday night as projected.. $10,000.

I may be a bit a cranky.
Dang Wally, sorry to hear that. That'll make me think twice about complaining about getting yelled at by some crazy hockey parents over the weekend.

Glove Malfunction is online now  
Old
01-17-2017, 08:40 AM
  #124
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson
 
BMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northeastern CT
Country: United States
Posts: 29,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Bruins are the least of my worries.

If you haven't noticed I've been sporadic the last couple of days. Our oil fired boiler 'collapsed' in on itself (google it) Sunday night, the house damn near burned down. We were lucky it happened while I was still awake.

Anyway we are currently living with space heaters and no hot water while awaiting replacement. Hopefully it gets done by Thursday night as projected.. $10,000.

I may be a bit a cranky.
I don't blame you. Unfortunately something like this isn't covered by homeowners insurance (although it would respond if your house had caught on fire). How old was it? Maybe it is still under warranty? Grabbing at straws but when you're going to be out $10,000 you grab at anything that might help!!!!

BMC is offline  
Old
01-17-2017, 10:15 AM
  #125
DarrenBanks56
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Bruins are the least of my worries.

If you haven't noticed I've been sporadic the last couple of days. Our oil fired boiler 'collapsed' in on itself (google it) Sunday night, the house damn near burned down. We were lucky it happened while I was still awake.

Anyway we are currently living with space heaters and no hot water while awaiting replacement. Hopefully it gets done by Thursday night as projected.. $10,000.

I may be a bit a cranky.
i feel this will happen to ours soon too.
its 30 yrs old.

DarrenBanks56 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.