HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2016 Football Thread III: Cruuuuuuuz :( (Cruz cut)

Old
01-03-2017, 05:16 PM
MysticLeviathan

vCash: 500
Giants biggest issue is their O-line. While Eli hasn't been great, a huge part of it is he has happy feet. I have little confidence that the O-line can hold throughout the playoffs.

And, as was mentioned, the thing about Rodgers that makes him so good is his scrambling. Sure, we can get pressure on him, but he can just as easily escape and throw a pass 15 yards for a 1st down. Or if he doesn't throw, he can run the 8 yards needed for the 1st down. That's what makes him so scary. If our D can't contain, we're ****ed.

I have no confidence in our offense. So I have little confidence going into this game. The O-line sucks, Eli is scared, and Perkins is the best RB we have and he's okay at best. It's going to be a long, tough, ugly game.

MysticLeviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 05:23 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Oscar Limburger

With Odell on the team i feel certain the offense can at least put up 20 on a depleted Packers secondary. At least that's what i'm hoping. The defense will have to suffocate Godgers, and whoever else they might possibly play in the playoffs, so it'll certainly feel like a typical Giants playoff run.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 05:48 PM
NYR68

Just hopefully Eli plays a lot better than he did when these two teams met in Week 5.

NYR68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 05:54 PM
sbjnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjee View Post
I love Eli. I really do.
Psst...Eli believes +/- is the most important stat in hockey.

sbjnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Anthony5967

The Packer secondary is as beat up as could be and their d line is not great. Giants line must hold up, they must. Perkins is a huge x factor and oughta get 20 carries Sunday. More of a complete RB than Jennings who is just a bruiser and cannot hit the hole quickly. Manning needs to be on or you can forget it.

Anthony5967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 06:13 PM
CoryForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
With Odell on the team i feel certain the offense can at least put up 20 on a depleted Packers secondary. At least that's what i'm hoping. The defense will have to suffocate Godgers, and whoever else they might possibly play in the playoffs, so it'll certainly feel like a typical Giants playoff run.
Yea, but the Packers D was beat up the first go around as well...

CoryForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Hunter Gathers
Whiskey breath

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticLeviathan View Post
Giants biggest issue is their O-line. While Eli hasn't been great, a huge part of it is he has happy feet.
Nope.

The biggest issue, far and away, is Eli. He had happy feet for no reason. I could understand him having happy feet if he was getting hit. He has barely been touched all season.

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 10:03 PM
eyjee
the basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjnyc View Post
Psst...Eli believes +/- is the most important stat in hockey.
Fun story: I interviewed with a certain hockey league and trashed +/- as a stat, and the person interviewing me sat there deadpan and when I was done said: "+/- was my best stat in college"

It was hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Gathers View Post
Nope.

The biggest issue, far and away, is Eli. He had happy feet for no reason. I could understand him having happy feet if he was getting hit. He has barely been touched all season.
Has it been confirmed if he's not getting touched because the O-line doesn't suck or because he's releasing the ball quickly?

eyjee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 10:18 PM
Hunter Gathers
Whiskey breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyjee View Post
Has it been confirmed if he's not getting touched because the O-line doesn't suck or because he's releasing the ball quickly?
I'd say it's a combo of both but there's no way in hell he's getting rid of the ball vastly faster than other QBs in the league. There are plenty of guys around the two-second mark. That's the modern-day NFL.

Old
01-03-2017, 11:57 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
I guess it's going to ironically take a Jets fan to help you Gmen fans feel a bit more confident about Sunday's game vs Pack.

Since the 6 game mark of the season, the Giants are either 1st or 2nd in sacks,takeaways, points allowed, yardage giving up.

Since Eli came in the league in 2004, in 11 playoff game, his WL record is 8-3. Hits TD/INT ratio is 17-8. If you take out the 1st playoff game of his career in 2005 vs Carolina when the whole team blew chunks and when he tossed 3 picks, his TD/INT ratio looks even better...17-5. His QB rating is 89.5. Once again if you take out that first game vs the Panthers it's in the 101.0 territory.

When Eli gets to the playoffs, he morphs into a different and much better player. Combine that happenstance with the fact Gmen look like they found a RB in Perkins who looks dangerous, a WR corps that is the best Eli ever had coming into the playoffs and a defense which has been the best in the NFL for the past 2 and half months, even as good as Rodgers is, the Packers with their sieve like defense even at Lambeau are imminently beatable. I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I just put down $500 on the Gmen to cover the 4 point spread and have no doubt they will not only cover but win outright. Enjoy the game fellas...you guys will be moving on to play the Boys at Jerry World in what will be an epic matchup.

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 12:18 AM
Hunter Gathers
Whiskey breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I guess it's going to ironically take a Jets fan to help you Gmen fans feel a bit more confident about Sunday's game vs Pack.

Since the 6 game mark of the season, the Giants are either 1st or 2nd in sacks,takeaways, points allowed, yardage giving up.

Since Eli came in the league in 2004, in 11 playoff game, his WL record is 8-3. Hits TD/INT ratio is 17-8. If you take out the 1st playoff game of his career in 2005 vs Carolina when the whole team blew chunks and when he tossed 3 picks, his TD/INT ratio looks even better...17-5. His QB rating is 89.5. Once again if you take out that first game vs the Panthers it's in the 101.0 territory.

When Eli gets to the playoffs, he morphs into a different and much better player. Combine that happenstance with the fact Gmen look like they found a RB in Perkins who looks dangerous, a WR corps that is the best Eli ever had coming into the playoffs and a defense which has been the best in the NFL for the past 2 and half months, even as good as Rodgers is, the Packers with their sieve like defense even at Lambeau are imminently beatable. I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I just put down $500 on the Gmen to cover the 4 point spread and have no doubt they will not only cover but win outright. Enjoy the game fellas...you guys will be moving on to play the Boys at Jerry World in what will be an epic matchup.
This would hold water if he had been in the playoffs in any of the last four seasons and done any of that. Frankly, none of us know what he's going to be like on Sunday. We have no clue if it's old playoff Eli or some newer, crappier version.

Old
01-04-2017, 12:47 AM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
This would hold water if he had been in the playoffs in any of the last four seasons and done any of that. Frankly, none of us know what he's going to be like on Sunday. We have no clue if it's old playoff Eli or some newer, crappier version.
Dude of course we don't know for 100% sure but if history is our judge, Eli when he goes dancing is as good as it gets when it comes to the QB position. Gmen haven't been in the playoffs since they won the SB and so the only thing I can go by is what he's done when he's been in playoffs before. And it's been pretty dang good. And when Gmen have won SB, his regular season stats were either worse or just about what he's done this year:

2007 regular season Eli threw 23 TD's and 20 picks with a 73.9 QB rating
2007 playoffs Eli threw 6 TD's and 1 pick with a 95.7 QB rating

2011 regular season Eli threw 29 TD's and 16 picks with a 92.9 QB rating
2011 playoffs Eli threw 9 TD's and 1 pick with a 103.3 QB rating

So when I look at Eli's 2016 regular season of throwing 26 TD's with 16 picks with a 86.0 QB rating why when I look at what Eli has done in the past, wouldn't I think that Eli could very easily do what he's done in the past and amp up his performance? So that's why I think what Eli has done in the past does in fact hold water and why if I were a Gman fan or someone like me who is putting some fairly large dollars on the line, I'd be feeling pretty optimistic that Eli will up his game going forward and be a key reason why Giants will beat the Pack.

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 12:17 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
I agree with everything you've said in this thread. Yes, Eli is under duress and needs to get the ball out quickly, but so do alot of other QB's around the league and Eli is rushing throws when he doesn't need to. Maybe its feeling his age Monday mornings or having a family that he wants to be around mentally and physically past 60 but he definitely seems more hit shy this year and generally skittish. I feel like Eli used to have the similar pressure but would handle it differently. He'd stand in there until the absolute last moment if he saw a receiver and felt pressure (think SF in the playoffs) even if it meant getting laid out after the throw.

I also thought some semblance of a running game would help but Eli is still making just as many terrible decision throwing the ball as he was without one.

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 04:00 PM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5967 View Post
The Packer secondary is as beat up as could be and their d line is not great. Giants line must hold up, they must. Perkins is a huge x factor and oughta get 20 carries Sunday. More of a complete RB than Jennings who is just a bruiser and cannot hit the hole quickly. Manning needs to be on or you can forget it.
Perkins is going to be a huge asset. Guy was an animal in week 17.

TheTakedown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 04:09 PM
chosen

N.E. over G.B. in Super Bowl.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Hunter Gathers
Whiskey breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Dude of course we don't know for 100% sure but if history is our judge, Eli when he goes dancing is as good as it gets when it comes to the QB position. Gmen haven't been in the playoffs since they won the SB and so the only thing I can go by is what he's done when he's been in playoffs before. And it's been pretty dang good. And when Gmen have won SB, his regular season stats were either worse or just about what he's done this year:

2007 regular season Eli threw 23 TD's and 20 picks with a 73.9 QB rating
2007 playoffs Eli threw 6 TD's and 1 pick with a 95.7 QB rating

2011 regular season Eli threw 29 TD's and 16 picks with a 92.9 QB rating
2011 playoffs Eli threw 9 TD's and 1 pick with a 103.3 QB rating

So when I look at Eli's 2016 regular season of throwing 26 TD's with 16 picks with a 86.0 QB rating why when I look at what Eli has done in the past, wouldn't I think that Eli could very easily do what he's done in the past and amp up his performance? So that's why I think what Eli has done in the past does in fact hold water and why if I were a Gman fan or someone like me who is putting some fairly large dollars on the line, I'd be feeling pretty optimistic that Eli will up his game going forward and be a key reason why Giants will beat the Pack.
Sorry, but you're talking about half a decade ago. I don't see what it even really has to do with 2017, man.

Old
01-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I just hope Eli awakens his postseason ability because I have very little confidence in this offense. We do not score a lot of points.

Our defense is full of ballers though so if we have to grind out some ugly football to get the silver so be it.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Kahuna Nanu
top10 anime betrayal

Chiefs over Pack/Giants. probably Pack.

I('m a homer) believe

01-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Kahuna Nanu
top10 anime betrayal

imo whoever wins the giants/pack series goes to the SB

Kahuna Nanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Hunter Gathers
Whiskey breath

Randy Gregory suspended at least a year for Dallas. We sure avoided that one.

Old
01-05-2017, 06:55 PM
G F O P

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 08:28 PM
Hunter Gathers
Whiskey breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by G F O P View Post

Old
01-05-2017, 11:43 PM
nyrleetch

Jack Conklin highest rated RT in entire NFL per PFF. What a great story.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 11:47 PM
East Coast Bias

God I miss Snacks. He's the best.

East Coast Bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2017, 05:53 AM
NYR68

Snacks is awesome.