HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why is Horcoff Still Playing??

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 07:06 PM
Scorpion88

vCash: 500
Why is Horcoff Still Playing??

First Post Ever!!

Can anyone tell me why Shawn Horcoff is still in the Oilers Lineup, let alone giving him the amount of ice time / power play time he gets. He is brutal IMO.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:08 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion88
First Post Ever!!

Can anyone tell me why Shawn Horcoff is still in the Oilers Lineup, let alone giving him the amount of ice time / power play time he gets. He is brutal IMO.
I wouldn't call him brutal, but he's nothing to write home about!

Old
10-21-2003, 07:12 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion88
First Post Ever!!

What sit Horcoff and Pisani still gets to dress? Let alone Jason (cleary-clone) Chimera?

Yeah that's it.......sit one of our centermen down. We have a truck-load of them to fill the void.

I know it's your 1st post and all.......but hey, you had it coming.

Welcome to the board.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:14 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

He has done plenty to write about...unfortuantly 99% bad...he CONSTANTLY chokes up the puck which is why LMHF#1 and I came up with the nick name "Professional Puck Loser"...he should definatly NOT be on the PP...

Old
10-21-2003, 07:14 PM
Scorpion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
What sit Horcoff and Pisani still gets to dress? Let alone Jason (cleary-clone) Chimera?

Yeah that's it.......sit one of our centermen down. We have a truck-load of them to fill the void.

I know it's your 1st post and all.......but hey, you had it coming.

Welcome to the board.
I would rather see Stoll than Horcoff!!

Old
10-21-2003, 07:17 PM
OilBeDrillin'

nah, Scorpion88's right. Horcoff's brutal.

who recalls my suggesting that the Oilers should dispose of Horcoff in mid April, when the rest of the league believes Horcoff is a decent hockey player?

Old
10-21-2003, 07:21 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
OMG wheres the band wagon??? cause everybody is jumping on it (#2 I exclude you from this as he could have a three goal game and your opinion would be consistent). Horcoff isn't as bad as all you people are trying to pass him off as. And if there IS *****ing to be done it's about Chimera and Pisani - both have done NOTHING. ZERO physical play, defensive play, offensive play, special teams play (they make apperances but don't do anything).

Old
10-21-2003, 07:24 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBeDrillin'
nah, Scorpion88's right. Horcoff's brutal.

who recalls my suggesting that the Oilers should dispose of Horcoff in mid April, when the rest of the league believes Horcoff is a decent hockey player?
i was thinking the same thing... for some reason people got it in their head that a good shot in a single game against dallas and a decent world championship (playing against teams like denmark) made him a superstar.

fact is, he has talent and no brains. just like cleary. chimera is starting to live up to that rep as well... but at least pisani has an excuse - ha has no talent.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:24 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
(#2 I exclude you from this as he could have a three goal game and your opinion would be consistent.
Ahem......please read ALL the posts.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:26 PM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

why is it that everyone is suddenly all over Horcoff after a loss?
If we had won this game, no one would have an opinion.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:26 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
OMG wheres the band wagon??? cause everybody is jumping on it (#2 I exclude you from this as he could have a three goal game and your opinion would be consistent). Horcoff isn't as bad as all you people are trying to pass him off as. And if there IS *****ing to be done it's about Chimera and Pisani - both have done NOTHING. ZERO physical play, defensive play, offensive play, special teams play (they make apperances but don't do anything).
Totally agree I am starting to wish I wasn't an Oiler fan this is embarrassing. Horcoff does not have top-shelf skills or anything that would make him a star but he is an extremely smart hockey player for reading plays and proper positioning both of which are extremely important. He misses one check tonight and all of a sudden he sucks? Pisani deserves to go up to the PB and Chimera should follow shortly if he does not pick up his game.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:27 PM
Lowetide

PP minutes for the centermen:

Smyth 7:40
Reasoner 4:29
York 5:33
Horcoff 3:56

Old
10-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Interesting...

Over the summer on this board, I seem to remember a really long, drawn-out debate on Horcoff. Damn near everyone here said Horcoff would be able to fill the 2nd line C, and they were looking forward to seeing him get PP minutes. In fact, I even remember a bet on this board about how many points Horcoff could get. My how fast opinions change Same goes for all fan bases though...players go from studs to duds all too quickly (not that I am implying this in any way about Horcoff).

Old
10-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Scorpion88

Just for the record, he has been brutal IMO for the past two seasons, not just because he missed a check tonight or can't seem to figure out that we should keep the puck in the oppositions zone when we have the powerplay.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:33 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Interesting...

Over the summer on this board, I seem to remember a really long, drawn-out debate on Horcoff. Damn near everyone here said Horcoff would be able to fill the 2nd line C, and they were looking forward to seeing him get PP minutes. In fact, I even remember a bet on this board about how many points Horcoff could get. My how fast opinions change Same goes for all fan bases though...players go from studs to duds all too quickly (not that I am implying this in any way about Horcoff).
Not me I was one of the dissenters. I didn't think Horcoff had the talent to be a second line centre.

Haven't changed my opinion on that either.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Lowetide

I have no problem defending Horcoff waveburner. Horcoff's line had some fine moments tonight, and I believe he collected a point. He looked to miss his check on the Danton goal, but it was hard to tell who his mark was on the back check on television (Isbister was in the area).

Horcoff has cut down on his crazy passes, is and has been a quality player 5x5, and can play lw or C. I don't have his faceoff numbers, but I think theyre at least decent.

I do agree that he shouldn't be a mainstay on the powerplay, but respectfully disagree with the posters here. Especially LD's item about "no brains."

Having said that, we all see the game differently, so I could be completely wrong.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:40 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
so I could be completely wrong.
but ur not wrong.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:41 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

This was a bad loss. I've already vented on the game post and don't want to overstate by disappointment. However like many posters on this thread, I continue to look for the Horcoff that was supposed to break out this year. I was hopeful with reports of his off season training regime but have yet to see this payoff with improved physical play.

Horcoff continues to avoid physical contact, lose faceoffs, and loses physical battles. He has okay abilities but doesn't look like a second line centreman to me. Reasoner is clearly emerging as a better talent.

And who the heck is wearing Jason Chimera's jersey. I love his potential with physical play, skating, and driving to the net. Unfortunately, I have not see any of this yet this regular season. I think JC will come around but right now he just seems to be out of it.

On the positive, I'd like to see Laraque rewarded with some PP time. He has been quite consistent thus and in my eyes deserving.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:42 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I have no problem defending Horcoff waveburner. Horcoff's line had some fine moments tonight, and I believe he collected a point. He looked to miss his check on the Danton goal, but it was hard to tell who his mark was on the back check on television (Isbister was in the area).

Horcoff has cut down on his crazy passes, is and has been a quality player 5x5, and can play lw or C. I don't have his faceoff numbers, but I think theyre at least decent.

I do agree that he shouldn't be a mainstay on the powerplay, but respectfully disagree with the posters here. Especially LD's item about "no brains."

Having said that, we all see the game differently, so I could be completely wrong.
I like Horcoff myself, just found it rather ironic that the shine seems to be off him only 6 games in.

I'd take the PP comment further and say he really has no business whatsoever being on the PP, but that's just me. I like his 5-on-5 game though

Old
10-21-2003, 08:02 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

PLEASE keep him of the PP...our PP was amazingly lackluster when his line were on the ice..PPL (aka Horcoff, aka Professional Puck Loser)coughed up the puck about as much as Ron Rimmer annoys the crown at skyreach...he has a bad game and is no where near the second line center alot of you were trying to make him out to be...Remember this is just my OPINION...so dont tear me apart for it

Old
10-21-2003, 08:04 PM
elphy101

I strongly disagree with the opinions of a bunch of others poster in regards to Horcoff.I'm was actually quite surprised by this thread. I have been quite satisfied with Horcoff's play this season. Yeah, he did blow an assignment on one goal today, but that happens.

I think he's been pretty solid and steady. His 4th line has been by far the best line on the team so far in the season.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I think Horcoff's wingers have made him look good. Laraque and Torres have played well and quite consistent hockey. Isbister has looked okay but just isn't finishing. Horcoff shows flashes of inspired play but not near enough to earn second line status. Very much like Rem Murray with less grit.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:22 PM
OYLer

Smyth was -3 and Horcoff was -1. My wife thought, like I did, Ryan Smyth should be playing left wing, Stoll playing center and Semi banging bodies with Brewer enjoying some pressbox perspective. Double give-away and a momentum killing 4 minute penalty? Horcoff played better than Smyth IMO!

Old
10-21-2003, 09:01 PM
coyote

Quote:
You might want to include your boy Izzy in the done Nothing, Zero physical play, defensive play, offensive play, special teams play (they make appearance but don't do anything quote.) 2 million - 6 games - no points. If you are going to point fingers, then point them in the right direction.

Old
10-21-2003, 09:27 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Not me I was one of the dissenters. I didn't think Horcoff had the talent to be a second line centre.

Haven't changed my opinion on that either.

Three cheers for Clearcoff.... now to find swansani!

Closed Thread