HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Trade Deadline

Old
01-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Capfriendly.com has the CBJ at $12.5 million in cap space (including LTIR) at the deadline. It's probably pretty hard for a GM to have that much room and not do anything, so I'd expect Jarmo to get someone.

Maybe Jeff Carter would be amenable to coming back if LA is out of it by then
I approve of this only if we get to stuff him in Cleveland and never call him up until he's prepared to actually play like a professional.

Yes, I'm still bitter.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 08:50 PM
punk_o_holic

Would anyone want a 3rd goalie? CMAC is great as a back up but I don't trust him if he has to play in consecutive games(Bob gets injured). I also wouldn't trust Korpisalo/Forsberg yet to take over in the playoffs(but then again Matt Murray did and he won the Cup so I guess maybe those 2 can as well?) Or making a trade for a 3rd goalie is a waste of assets.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 08:56 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Would anyone want a 3rd goalie? CMAC is great as a back up but I don't trust him if he has to play in consecutive games(Bob gets injured). I also wouldn't trust Korpisalo/Forsberg yet to take over in the playoffs(but then again Matt Murray did and he won the Cup so I guess maybe those 2 can as well?) Or making a trade for a 3rd goalie is a waste of assets.
Replacing CMac that late in the season wouldn't help team morale. He's been apart of the success and failure of the team for a few years now. I think we're likely to stick with him unless he gets hurt or his game takes an absolute nosedive in the games he plays.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 09:04 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

vCash: 50
Quote:
No thanks, I'm good with what we have.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 09:15 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Not sure who'd you pick up that would be worth it in the last year of his contract. Maybe one of the Calgary goalies.

I'll wait until closer to the deadline to think about what we'd want/need; especially if we have injuries. I'm really not looking to add anyone (any position) that has anything more than being the final year of a deal.

Looking over the pending UFA list, I just don't see much. Looking at maybe a depth D. Maybe a Seidenberg. I think people have mentioned a center.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 10:19 PM
db2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Who is this player we can get for a 3rd, 4th, or 5th round pick who is better than the guys we have? There aren't any. I'd rather play Milano, Bjorkstrand, Kukan, etc.... than give up an asset for someone who isn't that good.

This is why you build up depth. So you don't have to overpay in assets (players, picks, and/or money) to get a player you need.
Milano, bjorkstrand and kukan are not depth in the playoffs. Come now

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 10:31 PM
db2011

I can't get over the conservatism in this thread. You wanna win a Cup or not?? Sheesh. Milano is absolutely someone you trade at the deadline to upgrade the roster

Old
01-03-2017, 10:49 PM
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

Kind of hard to tell right now who might be our trade partners because only two teams look to be selling so far: Avs and Coyotes. The Metro bottom-feeders will probably open up around February but I don't know how willing they'd be to trade within the division.

Either way, we've been fortunate with injuries so far and it's inevitable some of our guys will go down as we get closed to April. We need a few veterans who can still play, but not tie down salary for the long haul. Though you have to give guys like Sedlak, Nutty and Gagner props, it'd be nice to have some playoff warriors filling in for them instead. Maybe target someone like Stajan as extra depth, or Hanzal as a more luxury asset.

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2011 View Post
I can't get over the conservatism in this thread. You wanna win a Cup or not?? Sheesh. Milano is absolutely someone you trade at the deadline to upgrade the roster
The conservatism comes from how this team is totally rolling along right now and the fear of disrupting the chemistry. I'm going to stay out of this thread now until February. If injuries occur or some of our rookies start to wear down, I'll revisit then.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2017, 10:58 PM
db2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
The conservatism comes from how this team is totally rolling along right now and the fear of disrupting the chemistry. I'm going to stay out of this thread now until February. If injuries occur or some of our rookies start to wear down, I'll revisit then.
But that fear will bind us up. Safe is death. We won't be rolling like this from now on

Old
01-03-2017, 11:01 PM
JoeyDangles19

I'm really enjoying watching Nutivaara grow into an NHL defenseman every single night, but I can't help but think that we should look to add a third-pairing RHD by the deadline. I'm not sure what Arizona would be looking for in return, but Michael Stone is a guy I would target. He is an upcoming UFA, so $$ is not a concern considering we have 12MM in deadline cap space. Paul Bittner and/or Sonny Milano would be more than expendable in this case (imo).

D-pairings of Werenski-Jones/Johnson-Savard/Murray-Stone would be among the best units in the league heading into the playoffs, and could prove to be extremely favorable for all matchups.

JoeyDangles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 12:06 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg10 View Post
Replacing CMac that late in the season wouldn't help team morale. He's been apart of the success and failure of the team for a few years now. I think we're likely to stick with him unless he gets hurt or his game takes an absolute nosedive in the games he plays.
True and I guess management loves him since he knows his role(reasons why they kept on extending him) so I guess they won't screw him over and look for a new goalie. I guess they will ride and die with the goaltending tandem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not sure who'd you pick up that would be worth it in the last year of his contract. Maybe one of the Calgary goalies.
I wouldn't mind Elliot but if the Flames are in a playoff race I expect them to keep him. I've looked at the UFA list and you were right. Not great options. Goalies that will be kept for the other teams playoff race or goalies that aren't any better/playoff proven over CMAC or Korpisalo/Forsberg.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 12:13 AM
db2011

We're at this point buyers, and I think we ought to buy if we remain in this position. But I like CMac as a backup in the playoffs. I think he's got moxie

Old
01-04-2017, 02:44 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I don't think the sensible posters in this thread are advocating trading any of our player or top prospects for deadline help. And I don't think they are advocating bringing in guys to replace guys currently in the lineup.

Trading a couple of draft picks and a secondary prospect to add a C and a D who could step in in case of injury or a case of being overwhelmed by the playoffs is smart business. This team appears to be a legitimate contender. To not add a bit of insurance at the deadline seems silly to me.

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 11:00 AM
CBJsoldier
Winging it

Unless they regress a lot I wouldn't mess with the team.

CBJsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I don't think the sensible posters in this thread are advocating trading any of our player or top prospects for deadline help. And I don't think they are advocating bringing in guys to replace guys currently in the lineup.

Trading a couple of draft picks and a secondary prospect to add a C and a D who could step in in case of injury or a case of being overwhelmed by the playoffs is smart business. This team appears to be a legitimate contender. To not add a bit of insurance at the deadline seems silly to me.
I agree, and I think it all depends who you can add for a 3rd round pick.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Johansen2Foligno

We need a heady, veteran player on a good contract who is locked up for many years. He will play defense, and he is currently carrying the sorry play of Ryan McDonagh. I think the Rangers are really selling low on him, I can't imagine it would take much to get him.

Johansen2Foligno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 05:56 PM
leesmith
Still in.

I say, for once, we sit this one out.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Jovavic
Blood Legion

Vermette as 4th line center/faceoff guy

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 06:15 PM
CBJFan827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johansen2Foligno View Post
We need a heady, veteran player on a good contract who is locked up for many years. He will play defense, and he is currently carrying the sorry play of Ryan McDonagh. I think the Rangers are really selling low on him, I can't imagine it would take much to get him.
I think I forgot to laugh.

CBJFan827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 06:51 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovavic View Post
Vermette as 4th line center/faceoff guy
Hed Be a good pickup. What's his contract?

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Lumbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg10 View Post
Hed Be a good pickup. What's his contract?
One more year at $1.75M. NMC this year becomes a modified NTC for 2017-2018 season.

I'll pass due to the contract. Agree with a Vermette-type acquisition though.

Lumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 07:36 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post

I think this captures the matter well. As I look at the D, Nuti has played well and there's a gap between him and whoever at the moment are our 7/8 guys (please, no Prout!). A versatile 3/4 line veteran C who can play wing would be a nice addition. Some have mentioned a Letestu-type which is spot on. He provides D, can PK, and his ability to play up would be valuable. While using him as the example, I would love it to specifically be him as his added intangible is we know he's a good chemistry guy and respected by those who played with him.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 07:54 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

vCash: 400
I think some additions at C and D are inevitable at the deadline. I generally agree with OP with his thought process. The point here is to add veteran presence, grit and playoff experience to the room. None of this will be done to disrupt the room. You add a guy or guys who get it, and understand their role is to add depth for injury or maybe if the pressure of playoffs is a bit rich for the young guys. Character.

I think looking back at last few SC Champs you'll see that every team added some of these players at the deadline. And yes, if we are still on target for the Presidents Trophy at the deadline, we have a shot at it.

As far as what assets you give up, I agree we don't want to overpay. No 1st rounders, but holding onto 4th or 5th round picks to not bolster a team that has a shot at the Cup makes no sense to me. Late round picks are 3-4 years away from being impactful (even for Jarmo). You can't build for that future, when the time is NOW.

At the end of the day, it will come down to Jarmo making the judgement about whether the team really has a chance to go for it all, and how much he believes in his farm system and drafting to replenish what he may have to give up.

And note, my opinion is predicated on us being positioned for a Presidents Cup at the deadline, and us feeling we have a chance to win now.

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2017, 08:19 PM
Cyclones Rock

Boll for some playoff grit.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote