HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Trade Deadline

Old
01-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Caps8112

vCash: 500
White Flag. Come in peace.

Take it from a caps fan, dont sit around at deadline when you have a team capable of winning the cup. Nothing has been more frustrating then watching first MCphee and now GMBM **** away the couple opportunities we had. Rich getting richer is never a bad thing in hockey. Look at the caps now. When we dont win the cup this year are cap and roster are screwed. Luckily your team is young but why waste an opportunity that doesnt come around all that often

Caps8112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2017, 09:07 PM
EdwardG
Let's Dance!

I've said before that the Jackets don't have any wasted roster spots on their 4 lines. Jenner hasn't been playing well, but he still is tolerable. Mac is easily the weakest link on the team. If they aren't comfortable bringing up one of the Cleveland guys, they have to get a backup goalie, if nothing else to protect the event of a Bob injury. I was shocked the Jackets went into this season with Mac... there's really no one better available? Now that you're playing well and in a playoff race... you need a quality backup goalie.

I saw all I needed to see last year and couldn't believe it when Mac started the year as backup goalie. Is there anyone who isn't nervous every time he is in net?

Last edited by EdwardG: 01-07-2017 at 09:26 PM.
EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2017, 09:11 PM
BLBow3r03

A reliable backup goalie is a must.. two guys on my radar.. Anders Nilsson and Jacob Markstrom

BLBow3r03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2017, 09:49 PM
JoeyDangles19

I want to trade for Thomas Greiss. Pending UFA with playoff experience. Plus, moving him would solve the Islanders' idiotic goaltending situation.

JoeyDangles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Lumbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDangles19 View Post
I want to trade for Thomas Greiss. Pending UFA with playoff experience. Plus, moving him would solve the Islanders' idiotic goaltending situation.
I really like this idea. Greiss is a career .918, with a .924 save percentage this season. Better numbers than CMac. Could be relatively affordable - 3rd round pick maybe?

Lumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2017, 01:15 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbus View Post
I really like this idea. Greiss is a career .918, with a .924 save percentage this season. Better numbers than CMac. Could be relatively affordable - 3rd round pick maybe?
He's the Isles starting goalie.

major major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2017, 03:59 AM
JoeyDangles19

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
He's the Isles starting goalie.
Mainly because they can't find a trading partner for Halak, and they'd lose either Griess or Berube on waivers. So Greiss is the de facto starter since Halak was sent down due to contracts.

JoeyDangles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 04:57 AM
vertigo1061

I suppose I should add back goalie to the list of possible needs at the deadline. I'd also like to point out again why adding depth is so crucial. A couple injuries/illnesses and things can slide really easily. Everything's groovy when we're on a big win streak, but throw some adversity in there and it exposes where your weaknesses are. We need to address them instead of covering our eyes and ears and going "nah nah nah nah nah".

vertigo1061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 05:59 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDangles19 View Post
Mainly because they can't find a trading partner for Halak, and they'd lose either Griess or Berube on waivers. So Greiss is the de facto starter since Halak was sent down due to contracts.
No, he's their starting goaltender, a guy the Isles might go with long term as their starter. Greiss played 41 for them last year, and then 11 playoff games. They gave Halak a chance to reclaim the job this year and he couldn't take it back from Greiss.

I'm not opposed to acquiring him, BTW, just pointing out Greiss would cost more than a backup if the Isles have him signed. If they can't come to terms then he should be our #1 trade deadline target.

Old
01-11-2017, 07:58 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

I'd like to see Forsberg and Korpisalo get some more games in before we decide that Greiss is worth spending assets on. Not saying Greiss would be a poor addition, but I'm still on that Hanzal bus and we can't afford to spend assets on both of those guys.

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 01:11 AM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

What from the Flames that is reasonable do you want for William Karlsson? I'd like him to be our 3rd C, so we can either move Bennett or Monahan to wing, or trade one of our prized centers for a good RW.

RainierBeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 02:25 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
What from the Flames that is reasonable do you want for William Karlsson? I'd like him to be our 3rd C, so we can either move Bennett or Monahan to wing, or trade one of our prized centers for a good RW.
Its not going to happen. Jackets are adding at center.

Old
01-12-2017, 03:21 AM
mikeyp24

Quote:
People have discussed not protecting Jenner to keep Karlson which shows you how much we like him here and need him because our weak depth down the middle. You can try and propose a trade but its going to cost you something likely you don't want to because the only thing we need to upgrade is C.

mikeyp24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 05:08 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Quote:
CBJ can't afford to move Karlsson without a center of equal or greater value coming back. Sorry, not a good fit.

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBow3r03 View Post
A reliable backup goalie is a must.. two guys on my radar.. Anders Nilsson and Jacob Markstrom
When is Jonathan Quick due back for the Kings? If he makes it back before the deadline, Peter Budaj might make a little bit of sense.

Kev22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Kev22

As for a deadline deal for rentals, the pool is pretty shallow. Looking through who is going to be a UFA, I found a couple of teams that have multiple players that might help.

Anaheim - Jonathan Bernier and Korbinian Holzer
Arizona - Martin Hanzal and Michael Stone
Calgary - Chad Johnson and Dennis Wideman
Chicago - Andrew Desjardins, Scott Darling and Brian Campbell
Buffalo - Anders Nilsson and Cody Franson
Los Angeles - Peter Budaj and Tom Gilbert
Dallas - Patrick Sharp and Johnny Oduya
Ottawa - Chris Kelly and Mike Condon
New Jersey - Keith Kinkaid and Kyle Quincey

Hanzal and Stone might be what is needed (other than a backup goalie). I'd love to get Sharp and Oduya, but that's probably far fetched. That would add skill and Cup winning veterans.

Kev22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Saad Panda

Quote:
So would we

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 07:44 PM
RainierBeat
Foster the People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
As for a deadline deal for rentals, the pool is pretty shallow. Looking through who is going to be a UFA, I found a couple of teams that have multiple players that might help.

Hanzal and Stone might be what is needed (other than a backup goalie). I'd love to get Sharp and Oduya, but that's probably far fetched. That would add skill and Cup winning veterans.
You can have Wideman retained at 50% for a 2nd or 3rd. Johnson? Hell no, we're not trading our starting goalie unless you give us a great deal, which you'll say no, Elliott on the other hand can be had for a 3rd.

RainierBeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Saad Panda

I wouldn't mind Elliot. He's a guy that has always done very well with a team who plays good team defense.

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2017, 07:10 AM
mikeyp24

Wouldn't mind Darling but I don't see the Hawks trading him he's always been great for them and honestly I want to see long term Korpisalo before deciding a trade imo our issue with backup wasn't that it was needed but that we had.one we had to move that wasn't going to be worthy.

mikeyp24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2017, 01:18 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post

The guys I like are bolded. Hanzal would be perfect but I bet the price is very steep. Sharp could add another lethal shot on the squad, and being a righty helps, and could always use more leadership. Could boost the 2nd PP unit too.

Franson I would love to get as depth. Not sure if Buffalo would trade him for a small price though. The rest of the defenseman aren't worth mentioning IMO.

Quote:
You can have Wideman retained at 50% for a 2nd or 3rd. Johnson? Hell no, we're not trading our starting goalie unless you give us a great deal, which you'll say no, Elliott on the other hand can be had for a 3rd.
Hmm..That's a deal to consider (for Elliott). Salary might have to be retained though, not that it matters since he's a UFA after this year.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2017, 01:52 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg10 View Post
The guys I like are bolded. Hanzal would be perfect but I bet the price is very steep. Sharp could add another lethal shot on the squad, and being a righty helps, and could always use more leadership. Could boost the 2nd PP unit too.

Franson I would love to get as depth. Not sure if Buffalo would trade him for a small price though. The rest of the defenseman aren't worth mentioning IMO.

Hmm..That's a deal to consider (for Elliott). Salary might have to be retained though, not that it matters since he's a UFA after this year.
Besides Hanzal or maybe Stone, not of that really sounds appetizing. Getting a rental/vet isnt something I envision Jarmo doing. Either go after a stud like Duchene or a player of similar calibre or ride this team out and use Bjork or Milano to chip in on the scoring.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg10 View Post
Franson I would love to get as depth.
Please believe me when I say that acquiring Franson for pretty much anything would be about the dumbest possible move we could ever do. The guy is essentially an artillery piece on wheels; while he's "mobile" in the sense that he can move from place to place, he can't operate while moving. He's got a very accurate shot (frighteningly so) and can pass the puck well so long as he's standing still... but in our 1-3-1 PP he'd be just about hopeless because he has virtually no mobility, so folks blow past him like he's not there all the time and he has zero chance of catching up. And he's incredibly mistake-prone in his own end (and again, can't move fast enough to make up for mistakes like, say, a JJ can), and while he's a big guy you'd never know it from his play style.

In short - he can pass (if he's standing still) and he can shoot (ditto), but he can't move and he can't defend - which makes him almost worse than useless in our system. There's teams that can use a guy like him, but we absolutely aren't one of them. If we acquire Franson, all that goodwill JK has built up with me with recent moves goes right out the window.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 07:08 AM
major major

I think Franson would do well on our PP, but that's a place where we don't need help. And he's useless everywhere else.

Old
01-16-2017, 07:54 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I think Franson would do well on our PP, but that's a place where we don't need help. And he's useless everywhere else.
Maybe in an ideal world where we never ever have any problems getting set up in the offensive zone, or in a world where the point guy doesn't have to move about to keep options open for pressured wingers. The 1-3-1 IMO requires a lot more mobility and awareness at the point than Franson has.

OTOH, once we're set up and all he has to do is stay in the middle and take shots... yeah, that's why he still has an NHL career. But I'd rather have Jones or Savard or even Nutivaara there.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote