HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Trade Deadline

Old
01-16-2017, 08:50 AM
EspenK

vCash: 500
The issue in my mind is we need a veteran depth D man we can trust for the playoffs if Nuti poops the bed as a result of playoff pressure.

And we probably need a veteran C who win faceoffs in case Karlsson or Sedlak tighten up in the playoffs.

I don't think it is about changing the lineup immediately after the deadline its about having a couple of safety valves if needed for the playoffs.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 09:06 AM
major major

On D I want to see more starts for Prout, Harrington, and maybe even Ryan Stanton (an old Torts fave) or Kukan. I don't feel we know our D depth well enough to know what it needs.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 09:14 AM
major major

As far as Fs go, I bet if there is a vacancy at C, that they'd slide Foligno or Jenner over, and promote Hannikainen. They could also maybe promote Tynan at C? He might be even better than a lot of these journeymen like Fiddler. I'd want to try him out in the regular season first, of course, but it's hard to take Sedlak out of the lineup, he's been too good.

As far as acquisitions go, I'm sort of in the "go Hanzal or go home" crowd. He's the only upgrade on the market.

Old
01-16-2017, 09:23 AM
JacketsDavid

10 days ago (or so) I was ok to ride along with what we had and look for minor tweeks.
Now I think we should look to what could be available as an upgrade. Getting a 2C/3C seems to be a need. A backup goalie is important to get us to the playoffs and could be bigger need if something happens to Bob (again maybe one of the youngsters runs with it, but for now I think it needs to be considered). Also I think we can also look at upgrading D. Werenski is wearing down. He's great on the PP and maybe it's just a matter of limiting his minutes for awhile. Basically I wouldn't solely focus on finding a #6/7 d-man. If you can find a #4/5 guy we could use him.

Now again we likely can't fill all positions and I wouldn't mortgage the farm but we owe it to ourselves to try to upgrade to help with playoff positioning (Pittsburgh is on our tail, Washington is red hot) to try to get home ice for at least first round. Then solidifying the roster and having depth in case of injuries. Fun to actually be on buying end, but like most years won't be a ton of sellers.

JacketsDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

This is kind out of left field but Chris Tanev would do awesome here, he is a really solid d man and Torts loves him. It'd probably cost Jenner plus but I would do it. I agree that Zach is getting worn out and needs to be limited. Put Tanev with Jones and put Zach with Murray.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Kev22

I just can't help but think what a line of Saad-Duchene-Atkinson would be like. Holy speed Batman.

It seems like some holes have been exposed in the six games since the streak was broken. One thing I noticed is that Sam Gagner has cooled off a bit, actually been pretty unnoticeable.

I can't figure out if GMJK and JD try to make a splash or just make "adjustment" type moves. Logic tells me they will only do moves that result in the return of a young player with term and not rentals. That would be a splash that would require moving some young assets on our end. Duchene would be a huge splash, but I think there's a move out of left field (i.e. Gaborik) that we won't see coming.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
As far as Fs go, I bet if there is a vacancy at C, that they'd slide Foligno or Jenner over, and promote Hannikainen. They could also maybe promote Tynan at C? He might be even better than a lot of these journeymen like Fiddler. I'd want to try him out in the regular season first, of course, but it's hard to take Sedlak out of the lineup, he's been too good.

As far as acquisitions go, I'm sort of in the "go Hanzal or go home" crowd. He's the only upgrade on the market.
Couldn't dealing for Hanzal and Stone kill two birds with one stone?

Old
01-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I just can't help but think what a line of Saad-Duchene-Atkinson would be like. Holy speed Batman.

It seems like some holes have been exposed in the six games since the streak was broken. One thing I noticed is that Sam Gagner has cooled off a bit, actually been pretty unnoticeable.

I can't figure out if GMJK and JD try to make a splash or just make "adjustment" type moves. Logic tells me they will only do moves that result in the return of a young player with term and not rentals. That would be a splash that would require moving some young assets on our end. Duchene would be a huge splash, but I think there's a move out of left field (i.e. Gaborik) that we won't see coming.
Yea Im all for Duchene but it might take some ridiculous overpayment i.e Werenski which wouldnt be smart.

Old
01-16-2017, 11:02 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Yea Im all for Duchene but it might take some ridiculous overpayment i.e Werenski which wouldnt be smart.
Werenski is a non-starter. Other GM's can request him all they want but he's not going anywhere. I'm not necessarily advocating trading for Duchene, just saying it would look pretty damn good and blazing fast. Speed kills in this league now. I just don't think we have the depth to pull off that kind of deal without gutting our prospect pool. I don't really want to trade Bjorkstrand, but with his step backwards this year, I guess I could live with it.

I just think there's a deal out there that will come as a shock. Jarmo's done it before (Gaborik, Saad) and I wouldn't be shocked if he did it again. I just can't figure it out.

Old
01-16-2017, 11:39 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Quote:
I just think there's a deal out there that will come as a shock. Jarmo's done it before (Gaborik, Saad) and I wouldn't be shocked if he did it again. I just can't figure it out.
So.. Sedin(s) to Columbus?

WannabeFinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 11:49 AM
CBJFan827

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeFinn View Post
Please no.

CBJFan827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Tulipunaruusu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeFinn View Post
For Tortorella plus that would be a good deal. Sedins are the Swedes who have fought for puck control in Tre Kronor and Vancouver.

Tulipunaruusu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 11:53 AM
JoeyDangles19

I agree with the notion that we're bound to make a big splash by the trade deadline. Jarmo's known for making bold moves (Gaborik/Saad/Jones), so I'm eager to see what he has up his sleeve. Duchene would be a great add, for sure. An interesting idea that was tossed around on twitter was Jonathan Drouin, as the Bolts seem out of the playoff race (with their long term injuries) and have impending cap issues coming up (Drouin is an RFA). Similarly, Tyler Johnson would be a good target too, but I don't think Tampa would move one of their centers with Stamkos out long term.

JoeyDangles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 11:57 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDangles19 View Post
I agree with the notion that we're bound to make a big splash by the trade deadline. Jarmo's known for making bold moves (Gaborik/Saad/Jones), so I'm eager to see what he has up his sleeve. Duchene would be a great add, for sure. An interesting idea that was tossed around on twitter was Jonathan Drouin, as the Bolts seem out of the playoff race (with their long term injuries) and have impending cap issues coming up (Drouin is an RFA). Similarly, Tyler Johnson would be a good target too, but I don't think Tampa would move one of their centers with Stamkos out long term.
Adding TyJo would certainly be interesting. Definitely a better 2C option than Dubinsky and would be a fine 1C in case of injury to Wennberg. But I'd imagine he would cost an arm and a leg..

Old
01-16-2017, 12:14 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
They want a defenseman coming back who is better than Murray, so basically I feel our options there are "wait for them to change their minds" (either about the necessary return, or about whether or not Murray is sufficient for their needs) or "look elsewhere".

Got to admit, tho, that would indeed be very very nice.

Quote:
Drouin seems to be committed to as part of their core going forward; I imagine asking about him now because of past questions would be like someone asking us about Atkinson (read: horrified laughter at best).

And yeah, the whole "Stamkos is out" thing has made TJ a lot less movable than he seemed earlier. Which is unfortunate; would have loved to have him.

Finding a decent top-6 center that's 1) on the market, 2) an upgrade, and 3) available for something other than Werenski/Jones/Savard has been incredibly elusive. Been looking, because that's something both of my teams could use, but so far it looks like the options are Hanzal, Hanzal, and if you stretch the definition of #2C Hanzal might also work. That should change later on as more folks opt to be sellers rather than standing pat, but for now...

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Hardworker33

Habs fan coming in peace,

Are you guys down on Jenner?

Could a basis of Juulsen for him doable?

Keep rockin guys, I love your team (to be honest, I've put your team in playoffs last year, I was shocked to see the disaster it had become. Nice to see you back on top!)

Hardworker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 12:48 PM
JoeyDangles19

To further expand on the Drouin-idea, here is a capfriendly proposal

To CBJ: Drouin
To TBL: Murray+Milano

TBL is looking to add defense, so it could make sense

Following that up, we still have an issue in the expansion draft at forward and a bit of a whole at D.

To CBJ: Slavin
To CAR: Jenner+Carlsson

This could help both teams out, as Carolina has a plethora of young D, but a lack of scoring/forwards (not to mention that Slavin is exempt in the ED).

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/245074

Old
01-16-2017, 01:02 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Quote:

Following that up, we still have an issue in the expansion draft at forward and a bit of a whole at D.

This could help both teams out, as Carolina has a plethora of young D, but a lack of scoring/forwards (not to mention that Slavin is exempt in the ED).

Slavin is the most untouchable Carolina asset IMO. He's so good for them that their fans are willing to trade Faulk or Hanifin before trading him.

Old
01-16-2017, 01:07 PM
major major

Quote:

The second deal isn't half enough value for Slavin.

The first deal might be the right value for Drouin (or it would be if Murray was RHD), but I'm also tired of all the Murray proposals. I think we'd be selling very low on him - he's just getting it in gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardworker33 View Post

Keep rockin guys, I love your team (to be honest, I've put your team in playoffs last year, I was shocked to see the disaster it had become. Nice to see you back on top!)
We are down on him but do you really think we'd trade him mid-season for futures? That's for rebuilding teams. Should I ask you about Gallagher for Milano?

Old
01-16-2017, 01:33 PM
JoeyDangles19

I'd be ok with Pesce coming back instead of Slavin in my proposal. He's also exempt from expansion. Thoughts?

Old
01-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
I'd be ok with Pesce coming back instead of Slavin in my proposal. He's also exempt from expansion. Thoughts?
Carolina isnt trading either one.

Old
01-16-2017, 01:51 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardworker33 View Post

Jenner isn't working out at the moment, no. Juulsen would be semi-interesting, but not midseason.

Quote:
Slavin-Pesce is their top pairing. Take a wild guess.

Seriously, asking Carolina about Slavin is like asking us about Werenski. Just don't go there. It's bad.

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 01:58 PM
major major

Quote:
Did we suddenly run out of solid young D? What makes you think they'd value him less than we would?

Old
01-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

I'm gonna say the value on the Drouin deal is pretty poor...It was said on radio down here he was basically the only untouchable on their roster....

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 02:08 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
I'm gonna say the value on the Drouin deal is pretty poor...It was said on radio down here he was basically the only untouchable on their roster....
You think they might be undervaluing Kucherov then?