HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers report card

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2003, 08:08 PM
  #1
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Oilers report card

Not a great effort.

Bergeron - As most of the defence were not great, made some bad plays early and didn't really contribute offensively and that is why he is in the lineup. On the PP he had a few passes that just hopped over his stick

Brewer - Yech, he was simply awful on both ends of the ice. Terrible game.

Chimera - Another game where I didn't notice him. Why is he still in the lineup? Yeah he got an assist but not a great game.

Conklin - Really didn't face any rubber but did his job after relieving Salo.

Cross - Actually wasn't bad considering. Not that any of the defence was great.

Dvorak - made same good plays but needs to contribute more.

Ferguson - Again not bad, but not great.

Hemsky - Did his job offensively.

Horcoff - Average game, nothing bad, nothing great.

Isbister - Made one good rush but he has got to start contributing.

Laraque - Played fairly well, took the puck to the net.

Moreau - I thought he was ok, nothing spectaclor though. Was robbed by Osgood in the third.

Pisani - Again ok, but nothing to write home about.

Reasoner - He was one of the better Oilers, but like most of the Oilers didn't play well enough.

Salo - I am not one to get on goalies but this was probably his worst game as an Oiler. First goal went straight in and I don't think he was screened. Second goal was a bad rebound. He was terrible and I am not going to sugar coat it!!

Smith - Been very consistent, had some nice checks. But like most of the Oilers would have to receive a failing grade. Couple of giveaways.

Smyth - Created some nice chances.

Staios - Did a nice job offensively again but like most of the Oilers got outworked in his own zone.

Torres - Had a great opportunity to tie the game after the shot hit the post but otherwise really didn't notice him.

York - Played a good game in a losing cause.

Obviously defensively most of the Oilers would receive a failing grade. Oilers as a hole thought they had the game won and stopped skating and stopped working until about 9 min to play in the third.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-21-2003, 09:25 PM
  #2
27theROCK
Registered User
 
27theROCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 954
vCash: 500
Bergeron - Played well enough. he has shown some hustle and has made some good offensive plays. love him on the powerplay but a couple pucks jumped over his stick.

Brewer - Can you say tom poti? I think he is a top young defence man but man when are we gonna see him step it up? I cant stand watching him turn the puck over so much. i loved the play where he shot at the a blues back and when he got it back he passed it t a diffrent blues player. I mean come on maybe he isnt ready to be a number one guy.

Chimera - He isnt playing like he was last year i mean come on i wanna see some you use your size and speed. poor game.

Conklin - He always looks sharp when he comes in and i love his puck handling abillities.

Cross - Not tobad a game for the big guy. he played like you would like to see him play. dont know if i want him on the pp but he is decent.

Dvorak - Some people are ragging on him for not scoring but i think he is playing awsome. i mean come on he hit like he is a power forward and he plays smart two way hockey(other than one bad pass). the goals will come.

Ferguson - Didnt notice himso i guess its a good thing.

Hemsky - This kid is a special talent. played great and is showing some grit that i like. he needs to shoot more but he is awsome.

Horcoff - Some people said this guy could be our second line center. wtf? he has played poorly. he looks like a decent ahler to and i think stoll could do anything he does and more.

Isbister - He and Laraque need to play more. everytime they are outthere they take the body and create chances. I want them to play with a more skilled centerman and i think they could be something special.

Laraque - Refer to isbister. Why when we have a power play dont we let this guy stand in front of the net imean it worked nicely in the playoffs last year.

Moreau - He was good. didnt like him on the pp but he is awsome on the pk.

Pisani - I dont think he brings alot to the team. he plays decent def. ut i dont think we will see the offence we saw last year. would rather let rita have a chance.

Reasoner - I must say i wrote him off last year but he has won me over. the more i see the more i like what he does.

Salo - Ouch he look terrible. i am not going to beak him but he has to step it up.

Smith - Couple of giveaways but he has shown some strong play.

Smyth - A real leader and is always playing good.

Staios - I think he is our best d man followed by MAB. He is always playing tough.

Torres - He is playing decent but i think he could give marchant a run for hands of stone. i thought he was a sparkplug? i have yet to see him lay out any one. I think he has played good just still waiting for the hits to come. i know the refs have besn less than kid to him so i will lay off fo now

York - He was great tonight. he and dvorak were the best players tonight imo.

27theROCK is offline  
Old
10-21-2003, 09:44 PM
  #3
Hairball
Registered User
 
Hairball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oiler Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
No it wasn't a great game except for the last ten minutes. I thought Moreau played well tonight. He played hard and had some good chances.

Bergeron played pretty decent defensively in the first I thought. I don't know what his +/- was tonight but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't bad at all.

THe biggest thing I noticed is that Salo and the skaters don't communicate effectively when he is out of his net playing the puck. I realize that he is not good at it or not comfortable with it but they need to either make better decisions or talk more or make some set plays regarding this. Something.

Hemsky just amazes me every time he touches the puck. He knows what he's doing out there. I'm all for changing our game plan to get the puck to him and then get ready to score.

Hairball is offline  
Old
10-21-2003, 10:26 PM
  #4
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
No it wasn't a great game except for the last ten minutes. I thought Moreau played well tonight. He played hard and had some good chances.

Bergeron played pretty decent defensively in the first I thought. I don't know what his +/- was tonight but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't bad at all.

THe biggest thing I noticed is that Salo and the skaters don't communicate effectively when he is out of his net playing the puck. I realize that he is not good at it or not comfortable with it but they need to either make better decisions or talk more or make some set plays regarding this. Something.

Hemsky just amazes me every time he touches the puck. He knows what he's doing out there. I'm all for changing our game plan to get the puck to him and then get ready to score.
I have no problem with Bergerons defensive play. I painted the whole team bad defensively, but I thought offensively he struggled a little.

But he tries to create and you know he will it is just a matter of time.

Moreau has been good since the beginning of the season.

Yes you gotta love Hemsky, he is now the leading point producer on the Oil.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-22-2003, 05:20 AM
  #5
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I have no problem with Bergerons defensive play. I painted the whole team bad defensively, but I thought offensively he struggled a little.

But he tries to create and you know he will it is just a matter of time.

Moreau has been good since the beginning of the season.

Yes you gotta love Hemsky, he is now the leading point producer on the Oil.
Can you imagine Peter Bondra on the receiving end of a Hemsky pass? 50 goals would be the minimum.

 
Old
10-22-2003, 06:21 AM
  #6
xauxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Should we include MacT in your report card? and what grade?

xauxi is offline  
Old
10-22-2003, 06:28 AM
  #7
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Not a great effort.

Bergeron - As most of the defence were not great, made some bad plays early and didn't really contribute offensively and that is why he is in the lineup. On the PP he had a few passes that just hopped over his stick

Brewer - Yech, he was simply awful on both ends of the ice. Terrible game.

Chimera - Another game where I didn't notice him. Why is he still in the lineup? Yeah he got an assist but not a great game.

Conklin - Really didn't face any rubber but did his job after relieving Salo.

Cross - Actually wasn't bad considering. Not that any of the defence was great.

Dvorak - made same good plays but needs to contribute more.

Ferguson - Again not bad, but not great.

Hemsky - Did his job offensively.

Horcoff - Average game, nothing bad, nothing great.

Isbister - Made one good rush but he has got to start contributing.

Laraque - Played fairly well, took the puck to the net.

Moreau - I thought he was ok, nothing spectaclor though. Was robbed by Osgood in the third.

Pisani - Again ok, but nothing to write home about.

Reasoner - He was one of the better Oilers, but like most of the Oilers didn't play well enough.

Salo - I am not one to get on goalies but this was probably his worst game as an Oiler. First goal went straight in and I don't think he was screened. Second goal was a bad rebound. He was terrible and I am not going to sugar coat it!!

Smith - Been very consistent, had some nice checks. But like most of the Oilers would have to receive a failing grade. Couple of giveaways.

Smyth - Created some nice chances.

Staios - Did a nice job offensively again but like most of the Oilers got outworked in his own zone.

Torres - Had a great opportunity to tie the game after the shot hit the post but otherwise really didn't notice him.

York - Played a good game in a losing cause.

Obviously defensively most of the Oilers would receive a failing grade. Oilers as a hole thought they had the game won and stopped skating and stopped working until about 9 min to play in the third.
I agree with pretty all of this spaz. The only thing is I thought our defense played well (yeah I know 6 goals were scored )

For the first time this season, I saw a got transistion game between our forwards and defenseman. The D's first past our of the zone was good. I like to see our defensemen pinching in as well. This IMO, is the difference between the St-louis, Colorado and Buffalo game and the 2 shut out games (Cgy and Vcr).

Soft goals will kill you everytime, pure and simple. The fact that they couldn't score on the PP didn't help as well.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
10-22-2003, 07:14 AM
  #8
Spearing47
Registered User
 
Spearing47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin

Soft goals will kill you everytime, pure and simple. The fact that they couldn't score on the PP didn't help as well.
I really don't like how Simpson is handling the PP srategy. (scoring 50 goals doesn't mean that you can teach how to do it....it's not given to everybody)

the first problem is the break in. Simpson asks D's to carry the puck over the neutral zone and then rim the puck around the board. If the process is done correctly (BTW it's the hardest way to set in the zone) the opposing winger should be able to take control of the puck. Since the beginning of the season this strategy simply doesn't work and they are still stuck on it. The winger never takes the puck and there's no setting possible.

The oilers are maybe the only team to do it this way. Colorado for exemple, are entering the zone with total control of the puck in 98 % of the case.

I see 2 options that are working better. (or at least can't be worst)

1) let the D-men carry the puck in the offensive zone and wait for the set-up.

2) the d-man skates with the puck out of his end and carries it in the neutral zone, instead of dumping it , he makes a cross ice pass to the opposing winger who's on the fly. Bergy did it a few times with York and it worked. But Simpson doesn't like it.

So the key would be to adopt a new break in...because this one doesn't work and it's proven!!

After that, on the blue line we must get brewer out of there. The reasons are :

1) He doesn't see the ice very well ( on his right specially). He rarely passes the puck to his partner he's always passing it to the winger on his side or ships it down low.

2) he can't make a good one-timer pass. I saw him several times sending a bullet to his partner....a 95 mph one timer pass it's not easy...

I would like to see hemsky there but we seem to see the game differently from the coaching staff.

To sum up it takes :

1) new breakout
2) good passer on the point ( i.e. hemsky , smyth, york...)
3) good one timer from the point ( i.e. Bergy, staios)


It'S my opinion....what do you think

Spearing47 is offline  
Old
10-22-2003, 07:20 AM
  #9
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I agree with pretty all of this spaz. The only thing is I thought our defense played well (yeah I know 6 goals were scored )

For the first time this season, I saw a got transistion game between our forwards and defenseman. The D's first past our of the zone was good. I like to see our defensemen pinching in as well. This IMO, is the difference between the St-louis, Colorado and Buffalo game and the 2 shut out games (Cgy and Vcr).

Soft goals will kill you everytime, pure and simple. The fact that they couldn't score on the PP didn't help as well.
My problem is the work in their own zone, and that wasn't just the defence. They really had trouble moving it out and seemed to be running around.

There were three different games last night. The first ten minutes, the middle forty and the last 10. It was the middle forty that killed them.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-22-2003, 07:23 AM
  #10
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xauxi
Should we include MacT in your report card? and what grade?
I don't think MacT asked them to stop skating and watch St. Louis for forty minutes. I would have taken Salo out sooner but that is my only criticism of Mact.

I find fans far too quick to blame the coaches when things go bad and never give the coaches any credit when teams play well.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-22-2003, 07:31 AM
  #11
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I agree with pretty all of this spaz. The only thing is I thought our defense played well (yeah I know 6 goals were scored )
The defense played well?
I know I was particularly impressed by Brewer as he rushed up ice. lost the puck and then took a 4 min. high sticking penalty. Seems to me we were on the PP at the time.
Bergeron made a spectacular play as well, almost scoring on his own net from the corner.
I do like the way the defense is going to the opposing net. CRedit Staios, bergeron and Cory (the scoring machibe) Cross for this improvement over last year. Nice goal by Smith.

 
Old
10-22-2003, 08:02 AM
  #12
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,868
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
I really don't like how Simpson is handling the PP srategy. (scoring 50 goals doesn't mean that you can teach how to do it....it's not given to everybody)

the first problem is the break in. Simpson asks D's to carry the puck over the neutral zone and then rim the puck around the board. If the process is done correctly (BTW it's the hardest way to set in the zone) the opposing winger should be able to take control of the puck. Since the beginning of the season this strategy simply doesn't work and they are still stuck on it. The winger never takes the puck and there's no setting possible.

The oilers are maybe the only team to do it this way. Colorado for exemple, are entering the zone with total control of the puck in 98 % of the case.

I see 2 options that are working better. (or at least can't be worst)

1) let the D-men carry the puck in the offensive zone and wait for the set-up.

2) the d-man skates with the puck out of his end and carries it in the neutral zone, instead of dumping it , he makes a cross ice pass to the opposing winger who's on the fly. Bergy did it a few times with York and it worked. But Simpson doesn't like it.

So the key would be to adopt a new break in...because this one doesn't work and it's proven!!

After that, on the blue line we must get brewer out of there. The reasons are :

1) He doesn't see the ice very well ( on his right specially). He rarely passes the puck to his partner he's always passing it to the winger on his side or ships it down low.

2) he can't make a good one-timer pass. I saw him several times sending a bullet to his partner....a 95 mph one timer pass it's not easy...

I would like to see hemsky there but we seem to see the game differently from the coaching staff.

To sum up it takes :

1) new breakout
2) good passer on the point ( i.e. hemsky , smyth, york...)
3) good one timer from the point ( i.e. Bergy, staios)


It'S my opinion....what do you think
How do you know if Simpson does or doesn't like a certain type of entry into the offensive zone. To look at the Avs powerplay and say "they are entering with the puck" is comical, as they have the most skilled team the league has seen since OUR glory days. The thing that works the worst IMO is when the defensman skates up and in between his blueline and th red line will give the puck to a still forward who is only a foot away from a PKer - that forces the winger to use a weak little flip into the zone which is easily handled and played out of the PKers zone. I do agree though that Simpson hasn't shown anything yet.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-22-2003, 08:19 AM
  #13
Spearing47
Registered User
 
Spearing47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
How do you know if Simpson does or doesn't like a certain type of entry into the offensive zone. To look at the Avs powerplay and say "they are entering with the puck" is comical, as they have the most skilled team the league has seen since OUR glory days. The thing that works the worst IMO is when the defensman skates up and in between his blueline and th red line will give the puck to a still forward who is only a foot away from a PKer - that forces the winger to use a weak little flip into the zone which is easily handled and played out of the PKers zone. I do agree though that Simpson hasn't shown anything yet.
If he would like it he would use it as their break in instead of this crappy puck dumping

Spearing47 is offline  
Old
10-22-2003, 09:22 AM
  #14
Tendencyman
Registered User
 
Tendencyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 617
vCash: 300
Quote:
Brewer - Yech, he was simply awful on both ends of the ice. Terrible game.

Brewer is not a two way defensiveman. He can become a solid player like Adam Foot who has not offensive upside. During his first year as oilers, he was very solid and tough in the defensive zone. After Mact decides to reward him by allowing him to carry the puck, he has been horrible ever since. He turns the puck over and over again. Let's Bergeron worrying about offense and Brewer focus on defense

Tendencyman is offline  
Old
10-22-2003, 09:36 AM
  #15
Ryno
BEHOLD!!
 
Ryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: G.P
Country: Canada
Posts: 529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
I really don't like how Simpson is handling the PP srategy. (scoring 50 goals doesn't mean that you can teach how to do it....it's not given to everybody)

the first problem is the break in. Simpson asks D's to carry the puck over the neutral zone and then rim the puck around the board. If the process is done correctly (BTW it's the hardest way to set in the zone) the opposing winger should be able to take control of the puck. Since the beginning of the season this strategy simply doesn't work and they are still stuck on it. The winger never takes the puck and there's no setting possible.

The oilers are maybe the only team to do it this way. Colorado for exemple, are entering the zone with total control of the puck in 98 % of the case.

I see 2 options that are working better. (or at least can't be worst)

1) let the D-men carry the puck in the offensive zone and wait for the set-up.

2) the d-man skates with the puck out of his end and carries it in the neutral zone, instead of dumping it , he makes a cross ice pass to the opposing winger who's on the fly. Bergy did it a few times with York and it worked. But Simpson doesn't like it.

So the key would be to adopt a new break in...because this one doesn't work and it's proven!!

After that, on the blue line we must get brewer out of there. The reasons are :

1) He doesn't see the ice very well ( on his right specially). He rarely passes the puck to his partner he's always passing it to the winger on his side or ships it down low.

2) he can't make a good one-timer pass. I saw him several times sending a bullet to his partner....a 95 mph one timer pass it's not easy...

I would like to see hemsky there but we seem to see the game differently from the coaching staff.

To sum up it takes :

1) new breakout
2) good passer on the point ( i.e. hemsky , smyth, york...)
3) good one timer from the point ( i.e. Bergy, staios)


It'S my opinion....what do you think
Here lies the problem with that. No Oilers defenceman has the skills to carry the puck across the blue line effectively. Bergy MAY develop that, but nobody can yet. Teams figured out pretty quickly that the way to stop the Oilers from gaining the zone is to line them up at the blueline. This is what they tried so often last year, and we all know how successful the PP was

The dump in can be successful if the forwards don't stop their speed. The defencemen need to hit the red line and fire it HIGH on the glass. The centremen acts as a rover to help the winger double team the opposing defencemen in the corner. With our fast wingers, we should be able to win races to the puck and get set up more effeciently that way, not to mention level a d men or 2 along the way

IMO, the key is to mix it up... the element of surprise. If you dump it in every time, it doesn't take the defence long to develop a strategy to defend against it. The same goes for carrying it across the blueline. I would like to think our forwards are smart enough to be able to adapt to more than one break in. I like your idea of the cross-ice pass, but it has to be used sparingly, because if the opposing centremen reads the play coming and picks the pass off, he's got a breakaway.

I agree with you that Hemsky (eventually, not now) on the point would be a benefit, but I certainly wouldn't want to put that kind of pressure on him now. I think MacT might be grooming him for that role but putting him on the PK.

Ryno is offline  
Old
10-22-2003, 10:53 AM
  #16
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno

I agree with you that Hemsky (eventually, not now) on the point would be a benefit, but I certainly wouldn't want to put that kind of pressure on him now. I think MacT might be grooming him for that role but putting him on the PK.
I disagree with hemsky on the point. His biggest asset at the moment is his vision and the resulting pass to the open player. From the point he is limited to passing forward only whereas on the half boards he has better angles.

 
Old
10-22-2003, 11:01 AM
  #17
Ryno
BEHOLD!!
 
Ryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: G.P
Country: Canada
Posts: 529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
I disagree with hemsky on the point. His biggest asset at the moment is his vision and the resulting pass to the open player. From the point he is limited to passing forward only whereas on the half boards he has better angles.
I agree with that too, however, Hemsky on the point could give our powerplay a better set up, thus creating more oppurtunities to score.

We'll never score if we can't get set up.

Maybe they'll design a PP whereby Hemsky carries the puck in and then play the halfboards.

Best of both worlds.

Ryno is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.