HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NOW I'm officially worried....

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
NOW I'm officially worried....

Unbelievable...

I thought the Avs would come out fighting mad after their humiliation at the hands of the Oilers. Tonight they were coming up against a Bruins team with nowhere near the talent on paper the Avs had, especially on defense.

Nope.

The Avs played lazy, sloppy hockey. Coasting to the corners, getting beat to loose pucks, bad passes, and no hint of anyone out there playing their position properly. How is it that Paul Kariya is beating Morris and Skoula to the puck in the defensive zone corners and having to scoop it out while they float at the hashmarks?

I've already stated my feelings on Skoula. I won't go any further on that...at least for now. But now I want to ask the lot of you...who is that man wearing #19? Because that is most certainly NOT Joe Sakic lazily cruising to the corner while Thornton beats him to the corner and sets up Grosek for the goal. That isn't Super Joe making a bad pass up the middle and turning it over, setting up the 4th goal. Who is that?

A players-only meeting was held tonight, but I'm pointing my finger at the COACHES as well. Granato just seems like a tackle dummy behind the bench. While he showed some signs of knowing what to do last season, he just seems unable to motivate his players or implement a puck possession system that utilizes the SPEED he has at his disposal. Instead we're seeing a team that dumps the puck and then doesn't forecheck. A team that stays on the perimeter on the power play and won't get dirty in front of the net. EVER. A defense that is playing prissy, no-contact hockey.

Don't give me any BS that it's early. I am SICK and TIRED of these weak starts. There is no excuse. The only excuse they could have possibly hung their helmets on is their goalie. Well, he hasn't faltered, so that's no excuse.

Inexcusable!

Old
10-21-2003, 08:25 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Yay, some one justified my anger (which spawned from jsut reading the box score).

I was in my World War 1 class getting increasingly angry as it went from 2-1 to 4-1 in a span of 20 minutes or so--as per my phone's espn capabilities.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Zodiac

Defence is absolutely brutal. Skoula can't get all the blame on this either ...none of them looked good. Just sick.

Coaching = lame

A line of Cummins, Battaglia, and McAllister ....uh, sorry but your retarded Tony. Not only is it bad enough that those three make up the 4th line ...but Tony decides to put them out against the Bruins 1st line. Ah ...hello??

Why is McCormick scratched again in favor of skating that slow moving vehicle McAllister as a forward? In my book ...you either play McCormick or let the guy develop in Hershey.

Tony and Ricky must have been into the glue tonight.

It just seems like confusion out there. Like they have no idea whats going on. No system.

It's time for Tony to actually coach a game and not just let these guys do what they want. They need a system. You just can't go all out thinking you can outscore the other teams just because of who's in the line up.

It's mostly the coaching staffs fault. It's their responsibility to get these guys motivated and ready to play. They look like ***** out there.

I bet the Hershey Bears could have beat them tonight.

Floyd is gettin upset!

Old
10-21-2003, 08:32 PM
nathan

You're not giving enough credit to the Bruins. They post THREE come from behind victories in a row so I'd say they're as close to being on fire as the Thrashers.

But you make good points. I saw way too much laziness. Right off the bat...Skoula turns the puck over in the neutral zone ON the PP...nearly giving up a breakaway. Later on another PP, he takes an incredibly risky cross-ice pass to Blake, almost leading to another breakaway.

Enough about him. Forsberg lazily attempts to stickhandle a loose puck ONE-HANDED in their own zone...misses it completely...leading to a Rolston goal. At the same time, Tanguay is floating around the crease WITH Foote standing like 2 feet away from him (did you guys see Footer cross-checking Tanguay? Like get the ***** outta the way!). Crap, can't you be doing something at the very least?

The final seconds of the 2nd period was the lowest point of the game. Final 10 seconds...Avs already threw in the towel for intermission...too bad the Bruins were still going and guess what? Grosek, who just comes out the sin bin is wide open in between the circles and fires a clean wrister past Aebi.

That was all I needed to see. I was just surprised how the Avs came out runnin' and gunnin' then give up ONE tying goal and totally deflate. I mean, halfway through the 2nd period, the Avs were OUTSHOT 19-9. Um, shouldn't it be the other way around?

Keep in mind, this is pretty much the reason Hartley was fired in the 1st place. Unable to motivate his players, constantly mixing lineups hoping to find some twinkle of light...questionable line combos (Battaglia-Cummins-McAllister? WTF?)

Well, at least Worrell will be back next game...hopefully if he plays rough and hard, maybe that'll set a good example for the Avs.

Fine, some people may think we're jumping the gun here...Naturally, we would all expect the Avs to be all over the place after being humiliated by the Oilers. But after watching similar performances two games in a row...you have to wonder what's going on really?

Old
10-21-2003, 10:12 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydianSlip
Defence is absolutely brutal. Skoula can't get all the blame on this either ...none of them looked good. Just sick.

Coaching = lame

A line of Cummins, Battaglia, and McAllister ....uh, sorry but your retarded Tony. Not only is it bad enough that those three make up the 4th line ...but Tony decides to put them out against the Bruins 1st line. Ah ...hello??

Why is McCormick scratched again in favor of skating that slow moving vehicle McAllister as a forward? In my book ...you either play McCormick or let the guy develop in Hershey.
Not to stick up for Granato, because I think he is making mistakes as well. But McCormick was out and McAllister was in because Boston has a big team, and with Worrell out, we sorely needed a guy with size, and that leaves only Mac to fill that void.

Old
10-21-2003, 10:30 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca13
Any team with Jim Cummins on it is a joke. It's great the Avs have two allstar lines even if one of them can't play defense. But when your other two lines and bottom two defensemen are guys that should be playing in the minors you have a problem. The Swiss Miss in net isn't helping things either.
It's quite obvious you have little idea of what's going on with the Avs. They're backchecking fine...it's their play in the OTHER direction that's causing our grief. They aren't being irresponsible in their end, they're being sloppy. If you watched tonight's game (which I doubt you did) you would have seen Kariya diggin it out of the corner in the defensive end to send it up ice. Problem with that is SKOULA should have been the one doing that while Paul was busy hustling up ice receiving a pass. Can't set up an attack if you don't have a transition game.

And that "Swiss Miss" you so lovingly referred to was the only reason we were in the game at all in the first two periods. Read my words, buddy, Aebischer is the LEAST of our worries.

Not meaning this as a personal attack, you've said quite clearly in the past that you're not an Avs fan. That's fine, but if you want to discuss hockey, get a little more information before you make uninformed remarks that just make you look foolish.

Old
10-21-2003, 10:35 PM
hoserthehorrible

Quote:
Any team with Jim Cummins on it is a joke. It's great the Avs have two allstar lines even if one of them can't play defense. But when your other two lines and bottom two defensemen are guys that should be playing in the minors you have a problem. The Swiss Miss in net isn't helping things either.
Who exactly do you think should be in the minors? Karlis Skrastins? Martin Skoula? Battaglia? Nikolishin? Hinote? Worrell? They all could be considered the bottom 2 defensemen or on the bottom 2 lines.

If you're going to bash at least use some credible information. Blake played terrible tonight. Sakic turned the puck over numerous times and got caught dogging it on a couple goals. Kariya made a number of limp wristed soft passes that got picked off. Selanne got demoted to the 4th line for a while. Forsberg tried to stick handle one handed in his own end and turned the puck over.

Don't be a hater. And even more important, don't be an uninformed, ignorant hater.

Old
10-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Sorry but I've watched the Avs past three games. Sakic, Kariya, and Battaglia or whatever Granato was throwing out there tonight, simply couldn't keep up with the bigger Bruins lineup. If Aesbischer is the least of your worries then you're gonna have a helluva long season in front of you.
Well, can't argue that right now. They look terrible, but if you DID watch the games, then I fail to understand why you think Aebischer looked bad. He's looked stellar so far this season, especially considering the sloppiness the Avs have committed in their own zone.

The Avs went out of their way to make the Bruins look bigger, tougher, and faster. Give credit to the B's, they're playing some good hockey right now, but they're a relatively slow team when compared with what the Avs should be. Right now, it's a matter of whether or not the Avs want to outwork the opposition. So far they haven't done that, except for two teams depleted of talent.

Talk is cheap, so I'll stop. I certainly hope for all our sakes you're wrong.

Old
10-21-2003, 10:46 PM
Foppa2118

I'm guessing Footer's voice is going to be sore tommorow because I have a feeling he was doing some yelling after the game. I can't believe that after all that talk of the Avs having a poor effort on Saturday, they come out and play the same lazy game. Poor, ill advised passes, huge gap between Fowards and D, lackluster power play, and more crapy penalty killing which we were lucky didn't bun us again. Did you see how spread out the box was on the PK? Boston was passing all the way through the middle of it almost everytime, which should never happen. Last year we're too passive, now were running around with our heads cut off. The power play is only working when Forsberg's line is out there, which by the way is also the only line playing decent. The Sakic line is just not clicking right now, hopefully they can turn it around. It's a shame we could let a team that played 3 games in 4 days, out work, out hustle, and basically make us look like a minor league team, with the amount of talent we have.

Forsberg is the only one trying out there it seems like, with Tanguay possibly being the only other name to add to that list. Where is the emotion? Where is the physical play when were down by 2 and then 3 goals to try and get some energy? Where is Joe Sakic? Besides a couple of good wristers early, he was invisible the rest of the game. Something needs to be done here, and like everybody has already mentioned, no it is not to early to say this.

Now Svatos is getting shoulder surgery and could be lost for the year, which hurts us really bad, because he is what made our depth lines respectable with his skill. We need a character guy badly. For god's sake, I would welcome either Granato or Tochet as fowards at this point, because, they are the type of player the Avs need right now. Somebody to mix it up when the boys are down. We obviously need somebody down there with Svatos out, I would vote for Stumpy Thomas, he proved last year he can still score, he will add leadership, is always loved in the locker room, and will prove to be that grind it out kind of guy the Avs will need in the playoffs. Plus he comes cheap, and we don't have to give anybody up off our roster(which is thin as it is) to get him.

Fortunatley every team goes through this type of thing at some point during the season. Hopefully this is the type of kick in the ass the Avs need to remind them that talent alone doesn't win hockey games. If the Avs can't get motivated to beat Emonton who humiliated them on Saturday, then there will be heads to roll. Here's hoping Pete can get his 200th goal in a winning effort.

Sorry about this rant here, it was unstructured and was basically just all the thoughts going on in my head at the time, that I needed to express.

Old
10-21-2003, 11:02 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

I was channel surfing but i'll tell you this. Putting coaches with little coaching experience into must win situations can be a recipe for disaster. I am a firm believer in a coaching apprenticeship. As a fan of a team with a coach i have never respected{ quinn}, i can tell you that coaching makes a huge difference in a teams ability to win on any given night. preparation/advance scouting/ are the first keys and the ability to shift systems mid stream are big factors too. I tuned in in time to see Granato, with last change, having his fourth line against Boston's first line. That is enough right there to make me think that the wheels are not turning properly. This team is mainly built for run and gun finesse but they must find a way to alter the forecheck from time to time and to correct what can be the most damaging problem of all teams- poor gap control. if the gaps between the first forecheckers the second wave and then the D , are too large , then you will always be easy to play against. Time and space may be overused but it is a truism- you must take it away. Not an Avs fan but a fan who has lived thru alot of bad coaching and realizes how tough coaching can be.

Old
10-22-2003, 12:00 AM
Zodiac

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this as a 3rd line?
Battaglia/Nikolishin/McCormick ...I don't see anything wrong with that. Why the hell can't Tony stick with that?

4th line = Cummins/Hahl/Hinote ...Not terrible either ...until Worrell is ready ...then scratch Cummins.

I have NO idea why Granato went with McAllister/Battaglia/Cummins as a line.

McCormick isn't exactly small @ around 6'2 and 215lbs ...so it's not like Granato can use his size as an excuse for the scratch. Either Cummins or McAllister should have been scratched.

Old
10-22-2003, 01:55 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Not to engage in any form of personal attack, but I do find humorous
the criticisms of David Aebischer from a Canuck fan.

If you want to level criticism at Aebischer, I think some may be warranted. But how exactly can a fan of a team with Cloutier and Hedberg in net genuinely criticize the goaltending of another team?

At this point, any argument that the likes of Cloutier or Hedberg in net gives the Canucks a superior goaltending advantage over Aebischer and Sauve is not grounded in reality. This is particularly the case after Cloutier went out and posted one of the all-time worst save percentages through two rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

It is the pot calling the kettle....

and it severely lessens whatever credibility you may have to come on this board five games into the season with your "sky is falling" rhetoric.

Old
10-22-2003, 03:09 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
I think what the Avs (and wings/sens/canucks/stars/devils) have to realize, is that the teams with less skill (not Bruins) have gotten better and better at using their assets against more skilled teams. If you meet the Canadiens, Islanders, Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Thrashers, Kings, Oilers etc and come out flat, they will beat you badly. Talent takes you less and less for each passing season. Only when you combine it with as much effort as your opponent will you get anywhere.

We have seen it all over the league in the first few weeks, supposedly much more talented teams getting hammered and hammered badly by less talented teams that have understood what tactic to use and at what intensity level they have to play to win.

The Avs are in for a long long season if they expect talent only will get them anywhere.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:21 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserthehorrible
Don't be a hater. And even more important, don't be an uninformed, ignorant hater.
I don't know; I think mecca's doing a good job of making me look good around here.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:22 AM
DarioinDenver

I was particularly impressed with putting McAllister on the 2nd powerplay unit, giving Cummins ice time against the 1st line in the 3rd period, oh, and sitting Selanne for the 3rd was just peachy. I have more comments later.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:49 AM
Laperriere22*

Regarding Granato, it's rather a tough sell considering how much the team talked him up as a player's coach and how much they enjoyed playing for him before the season started.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:53 AM
dempsey_k*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Regarding Granato, it's rather a tough sell considering how much the team talked him up as a player's coach and how much they enjoyed playing for him before the season started.
Well the team rather loved Drury and Deadmarsh and central core players with enormous leadership potential ... Lacroix is only loyal to the players who sell the most joiseys. And coaches don't have joiseys, at least the last time I checked, I haven't had television since they launched sputnik.

Old
10-22-2003, 07:48 AM
Gumballhead

The worst part about watching last night's game was listening to Pierre McGuire's constant negativity about the Avs. It would have been okay if he'd started after the Avs started loafing and looking horrible, and Granato started whiffing on his line matchups, but he started way before that, and it just proved him right. I don't think I've ever been as disgusted with the Avs as I was last night. feh.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:33 AM
hoserthehorrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
I don't know; I think mecca's doing a good job of making me look good around here.
That he is. That he is.

I may not always agree with you Lappy, or like what you say, but at least you usually have logic behind what you're saying and try to back it up with facts. Mecca is a hater who loses credibility the first time he makes a post because of ignorance and stupidity.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:01 AM
avfan#21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
The worst part about watching last night's game was listening to Pierre McGuire's constant negativity about the Avs. It would have been okay if he'd started after the Avs started loafing and looking horrible, and Granato started whiffing on his line matchups, but he started way before that, and it just proved him right. I don't think I've ever been as disgusted with the Avs as I was last night. feh.
haha! That's no ****, McGuire was pissin on the Avs heads from the get go. I did agree with him and have said from since the offseason they don't have Cup calibre depth. This is the same third and fourth line shell game we've been been exposed to since they dealt off Podein. Worrell isn't going to change that by being in the lineup. Lacroix's being exposed here and good. Hopefully he'll fix it.

As I said in the other thread, Granato is a joke. He proved it last nite with his three period circus.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfan#21
haha! That's no ****, McGuire was pissin on the Avs heads from the get go. I did agree with him and have said from since the offseason they don't have Cup calibre depth. This is the same third and fourth line shell game we've been been exposed to since they dealt off Podein. Worrell isn't going to change that by being in the lineup. Lacroix's being exposed here and good. Hopefully he'll fix it.

As I said in the other thread, Granato is a joke. He proved it last nite with his three period circus.

If you want Podein, he is out playing in Europe somewhere. Maybe its just me, but I didn't see his trade as a big deal. Sure he provided a bit more offensive punch than Keane, but he too was starting to slow down. Keane was a bust, but its not like Podes would have been the savior.

They changed the entire structure of the third and fourth lines over the summer in case Mr. McGuire didn't notice. Messier, Shantz, Keane, and Parker were all dumped. Aubin was taken in the expansion draft. Lacroix made a crafty move in acquiring Nikolishin and Battaglia is dumped on the third line where it belongs. The Avs don't have to have the best 3rd and 4th lines in the league, they just have to be better than last year. I like the additions of Svatos (despite his most likely season ending injury) and McCormick to go along with the youngster in Hahl. Granato's infatuation with McAllister and Cummins is sickening but hey the problem isn't necessarily the personnel, but the man behind the bench.

Old
10-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

The problems are not the 3rd and 4th lines, though they haven't been playing up to potential either. This team's stars HAVE to step up. If they play this overly fancy, drop-pass instead of shoot brand of hockey where NO ONE crashes the net then it doesn't matter what our 3rd and 4th lines do.

I don't care what anyone says, this team should be undefeated. They've played a depleted Chicago and Minnesota team, a banged-up St. Louis Squad, an Edmonton team still weak up the middle, and a slow-footed Bruins team. The fans of those teams can diss me all they want, but facts are facts, if they had a coach who truly knew what to do with the talent and speed arrayed before him and leadership that was towing the line, they'd be the best in the NHL right now. Hands down.

Old
10-22-2003, 12:04 PM
avfan#21

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say Jori, my point was, we had a solid third line when Podein was here, since he left it went down hill, various players shifted in and out on it and no one has stuck. Battaglia has had one good game vs Minnesota, so he's not wowing anyone yet. Nikolishin looks like a good start. It's hard to say anything about McCormick since he hasn't really gotten to play any stretch of games to formulate an opinion. Who can blame McGuire for crapping on Cummins and big Mac? It's embarrassing that a supposed Cup contender would even have them suited up to play. And to top it off having the same teams coach try to match them up against Thornton. I couldn't tell if he was disrespecting Murray and Thornton's ability or if he was actually stupid enough to believe Cummins and Mac could actually contain them. Yet that kind of thing wouldn't be a problem if they had decent defensive forward depth. They don't and haven't for sometime now. What I felt Granato was implying was that his third line wasn't big enough to do the job that typically the Avs third line is supposed to do. If so, that speaks volumes about the Avs lack of depth and the coach all but admitted it on the ice last nite.

Old
10-22-2003, 12:52 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
They changed the entire structure of the third and fourth lines over the summer in case Mr. McGuire didn't notice. Messier, Shantz, Keane, and Parker were all dumped. Aubin was taken in the expansion draft. Lacroix made a crafty move in acquiring Nikolishin and Battaglia is dumped on the third line where it belongs. The Avs don't have to have the best 3rd and 4th lines in the league, they just have to be better than last year. I like the additions of Svatos (despite his most likely season ending injury) and McCormick to go along with the youngster in Hahl. Granato's infatuation with McAllister and Cummins is sickening but hey the problem isn't necessarily the personnel, but the man behind the bench.
Well, another thing McGuire kept harping on was the lack of "foot soldiers" the Avs have now, citing the departures of Keane and Aubin. While it's true that Keane is a leader and locker room guy, he certainly looked like a shell of his former self last year, and I doubt he would have helped much last night. For him to bring Aubin up is kind of funny, because that's one loss I haven't heard any informed people bemoaning. What sucks is that the Avs played so poorly that he probably looked like a genius to some people. They also constantly said Aebi looked awkward and/or nervous, but I didn't really see that. Maybe he looked like a deer in the headlights because of the chances his team in front of him gave up, but he made some killer saves, especially on one low glove save. And when Potvin made some funky looking stops, they didn't say anything about him being awkward. Pretty aggravating game to watch for an Avs fan.

Cummins was pretty brutal, that's true. But I love the Quest For Fire look.

Old
10-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
Cummins was pretty brutal, that's true. But I love the Quest For Fire look.
Thanks for cheering me up...

Closed Thread