HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Theo, D or O?

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Pats Habs

vCash: 500
Theo, D or O?

Everybody seems to think the Habs NEED a bigger, better defenceman to solve our problems. I disagree. Would it help? Of course. But I think if Theo can regain his form, our defense is solved - to a point of being respectable at least.

I believe a lack of offense is (and has been for a number of years) the Habs' #1 problem. When your leading scorer is getting in the 60 - 70 point range (like the Habs), it is unlikely the team will advance too far (unless you have a Martin Brodeur behind you). Or if you have 4 or 5 guys EACH scoring in the 70 point range, but this too is not happening.

This team should (I won't say 'must' as I fear it won't happen) try to head towards an offence-oriented game and start to relive the glory days of 100 point men, Stanley Cup appearances, and maybe even averaging more than 20 shots per game!

Old
01-30-2006, 11:55 AM
klaudius

It depends how well you want the Habs to be...

I, for one, am fed-up of fighting for 7-8th spot...

For sure that if Theodore regains his form, we would be a better devensive team...however we do need a top 2 defenceman...(among many other things) in order to be in the top 4 of the Conference...

k

Old
01-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Russeltown

... And why do you think the leading scorers of this team are on pace for 70 points? We have a lot of offensive talent on this team!
IMO, this is because there is no transition from defence to the offence on this team. The only defenceman who is able to do it well is Markov.

Old
01-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Next Best Thing*

Now people must realize CJ wasn't a defense first type of coach, but I think I'd rather win games and shoot 20 times on goal than lose. Also I think Gainey's taking a very conservative approach rigth now because our D is in turmoil so he's running a tight ship.

In response to your post though I'd still say that a solid defenseman, someone like Rivet who plays with intensity and won't cost a leg, is the main priority. Maybe then things will open up and we will spend more time in the offensive zone. Our "scoring slump" can also be attributed to our forwards being scared to turn the puck over and spend the rest of your shift running after the puck in your own zone. How can you score like that?

We still have Kovalev, Koivu, Ryder (who also took Zednik's job), Bulis, Plekanec, Ribeiro (not lately) that can put the puck in the net. Add to that Perez and Kostitsyn who are salivating for an other shot at the big club (maybe Latendresse too next year) I don't think we need anyone else.

Exception: IF we are to make the playoffs, someone like Weight can be good.

edit: forget him

Old
01-30-2006, 12:13 PM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn
... And why do you think the leading scorers of this team are on pace for 70 points? We have a lot of offensive talent on this team!
IMO, this is because there is no transition from defence to the offence on this team. The only defenceman who is able to do it well is Markov.

I agree. Our transition game is quite poor so far. Other than Markov, I don't have much confidence in any of our defencemen carrying the puck. Streit is #2 on my list so that should give you an idea of how poor I believe the rest are. This isn't to say that our defencemen suck but just that we could really use another puck carrying defenceman (Brisebois was our 2nd best defenseman for this role until he was traded due to his defensive mishaps and for signing a contract bigger than his contributions). Tarnstrom would have fit this role nicely if we could have landed him. Hopefully a few more will be made available as playoff and non-playoff teams start making their decisions on where they want to be at the trade deadline.

Old
01-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn
Exacty. The transition game has been the problem in Montreal for years. At least we now have Markov who can do this. Getting another D that can relaunch the attack will increase the offensive output.

Old
01-30-2006, 12:32 PM
psychonaut

How much time before Markov comes back, does anybuddy have any news? I guess after the Olympics but im not sure.

Old
01-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut
How much time before Markov comes back, does anybuddy have any news? I guess after the Olympics but im not sure.
I think he's supposed to be back right before the Olympics.

Old
01-30-2006, 01:10 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
As good as Franky plays for his size, his size is an issue. I would dearly love to see an upgrade to our defensive defencemen. If there was a way to package one of our existing defencemen with a forward to get another strong puck mover, of at least Markov's ability, I'd go for that too.

Old
01-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Pats Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn
Yeah, I'll give you the transition point as being a BIG problem. So the question is: If we had a couple more D-men who were good at the transition game, is our current offence enough to take advantage of that? I think an experienced, offensively minded Centreman and/or winger is needed as well to take advantage of this.

How much (if any) change will we see in the lineup in this regards? Hard to say. Would mean giving up young potential, which I'm not sure i'd be willing to part with either.

Old
01-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 3500
Date of the injury : Jan 16 .
Will be out at least : 3 weeks .

Hopefully he will be back to the back-to-back series VS Buffalo and the tight game Vs Atlanta .

http://www.nhl.com/teams/mtl/schedule.html

Then Kovalev , Markov , Koivu , Bulis , Zednik and Streit are goin to the Olympics.

Old
01-30-2006, 04:13 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK!
Everybody seems to think the Habs NEED a bigger, better defenceman to solve our problems. I disagree. Would it help? Of course. But I think if Theo can regain his form, our defense is solved - to a point of being respectable at least.

I believe a lack of offense is (and has been for a number of years) the Habs' #1 problem. When your leading scorer is getting in the 60 - 70 point range (like the Habs), it is unlikely the team will advance too far (unless you have a Martin Brodeur behind you). Or if you have 4 or 5 guys EACH scoring in the 70 point range, but this too is not happening.

This team should (I won't say 'must' as I fear it won't happen) try to head towards an offence-oriented game and start to relive the glory days of 100 point men, Stanley Cup appearances, and maybe even averaging more than 20 shots per game!
I disagree totally. Look at the Ottawa for instance, all their offense comes from their great transition game and awsome play in their zone. Same goes for Calgary and Vancouver. You can have a great offense like Atlanta but we that without a defense, it doesnt worth much. Look at Buffalo, they missed Miller,Dumont, Briere and now Connolly but their defense is the reason why they kept winning. We need defense more than Offense right now.

Closed Thread