HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Torres Needs More Ice Time!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Scorpion88

vCash: 500
Torres Needs More Ice Time!!

Is it just me or do you think Torres should get a little bit of Powerplay time and maybe just maybe play more than 10 minutes a game. He has been one of the better Oilers to start the year and although he is (almost) a rookie, I think he deserves a bit bigger of a role with this team.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:42 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
nothing like hitting the ground running, welcome to the board...

on the topic, i can't really comment since i haven't seen 1 second of live hockey, only highlights, fromt the sounds of it however he might deserve a bit of time on the 2nd PP unit, especially if my boy Chimera is sucking like everyone says he is..

Old
10-21-2003, 07:53 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion88
Is it just me or do you think Torres should get a little bit of Powerplay time and maybe just maybe play more than 10 minutes a game. He has been one of the better Oilers to start the year and although he is (almost) a rookie, I think he deserves a bit bigger of a role with this team.
I totally agree here. He's looked fantastic in all of the games I've seen him in, but is only getting 3-7 minutes a night - even when he's supposedly on the first line.

He played almost ten tonight, but I'd say more than half of those came in the third period.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:09 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

No, please no. Raffi is simply not the offensive player needed for that amount of ice time. He proved that tonight.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:22 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Raffi's biggest problem is that he isn't 28. In order to get more time he'll have to score a goal every other shift and have three hits/shift. Then MacT will say - jeez.... my boyfriend, so-and-so isn't as good just cause he's older... I'll have to switch their roles!

Old
10-21-2003, 08:51 PM
riles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
No, please no. Raffi is simply not the offensive player needed for that amount of ice time. He proved that tonight.
I simply don't see where that comes from, he missed an open net when the puck was bouncing all over the place, not really his fault. IMO very few players on this team have a better goal scoring ability.

I guess Smyth has no hands now that he missed his one timer with a perfect pass.

Old
10-21-2003, 09:00 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles
I simply don't see where that comes from, he missed an open net when the puck was bouncing all over the place, not really his fault. IMO very few players on this team have a better goal scoring ability.

I guess Smyth has no hands now that he missed his one timer with a perfect pass.
The tonight comment was directed at alot more than that one chance. It was directed at the improper offensive positioning, the stickhandling mistakes, the lackluster passes and forechecking. Put Radek Dvorak on that line, especially the way he was playin tonight. Or even just bump York in there for a double-shift. That line is where this team misses MC.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Brock

Quote:
What on earth do you have against Torres? I'm just curious because you are always ragging on him. Even in the first games when he was the Oilers best player arguably, you still didn't have anything good to say about him. The kid has 2 goals and 2 assists in 6 games so far, I'd say thats pretty outstanding for a player thats only getting 8:53 of ice time each game.

Are you Mike Milbury or are you Janne Niinimaa's boyfriend, disapointed that he had to leave Edmonton for Torres?

Old
10-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I totally agree here. He's looked fantastic in all of the games I've seen him in, but is only getting 3-7 minutes a night - even when he's supposedly on the first line.

He played almost ten tonight, but I'd say more than half of those came in the third period.
Even strength ice time tonight:

Smyth - 11:53
Hemsky - 10:37
Torres - 9:56

PP ice time:

Smyth - 7:40
Hemsky - 6:39
Torres - 0:00

SH ice time:

Smyth - 0:36
Hemsky - 0:32

It's been like that pretty much the whole year thus far.

The only other players not to get any ice time on the PP were Pisani and Ferguson, but they at least got over a minute of SH time.

Torres was the only player on either team last night to not get a second of special teams ice time. Not sure what to make of that.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Master Lok

I know this may sound wierd but I'll say it anyways: I trust MacT. yes, believe it or not. Evidence? Hemsky. I remember last year everyone was getting on MacT's case for not putting Hemsky out there more often, but I like the lesser (hopefully less pressure) game minutes for rookies like Hemsky and Torres. I mean look at the pressure that Torres is already under: he's playing on the FIRST line now with SMyth and Hemsky AND he was traded for much beloved Oiler (Niiniimaa). Keep him with less minutes for now and slowly increase them as the season goes on regardless of how many points he's already gotten.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:57 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Even strength ice time tonight:

Smyth - 11:53
Hemsky - 10:37
Torres - 9:56

PP ice time:

Smyth - 7:40
Hemsky - 6:39

SH ice time:

Smyth - 0:36
Hemsky - 0:32

It's been like that pretty much the whole year thus far.

The only other players not to get any ice time on the PP were Pisani and Ferguson, but they at least got over a minute of SH time.

Torres was the only player on either team last night to not get a second of special teams ice time. Not sure what to make of that.
However, York was on the line with Smyth and Hemsky on the powerplay. I'd much rather have Yorkie up there than Torres, though. He probably does deserve some time on the pp but I wouldn't put him with Smyth and Hemsky. York has looked fine up there with them.

Old
10-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
However, York was on the line with Smyth and Hemsky on the powerplay. I'd much rather have Yorkie up there than Torres, though. He probably does deserve some time on the pp but I wouldn't put him with Smyth and Hemsky. York has looked fine up there with them.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't posting that in order to drum up support for Torres to get PP time...I was just surpised he hadn't gotten any at all.

I'm not sure if he deserves any or not at this level, but I know he was on the Bulldogs PP during the playoffs and he didn't look out of place.

Old
10-22-2003, 12:50 PM
OilBeDrillin'

Quote:
The tonight comment was directed at alot more than that one chance. It was directed at the improper offensive positioning, the stickhandling mistakes, the lackluster passes and forechecking. Put Radek Dvorak on that line, especially the way he was playin tonight. Or even just bump York in there for a double-shift. That line is where this team misses MC.
improper offensive positioning?
whenever the Oilers make their way past the opposing team's blueline, Torres plants himself right beside the goaltender. how that's not perfect offensive positioning for a solid lad such a Torres is beyond me.

Old
10-22-2003, 01:39 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBeDrillin'
improper offensive positioning?
whenever the Oilers make their way past the opposing team's blueline, Torres plants himself right beside the goaltender. how that's not perfect offensive positioning for a solid lad such a Torres is beyond me.
Don't see it, and even if that's what he is doing, I really don't think that should be his job. He should be mucking in corners and setting up for what seems to be a decent snapper.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:18 PM
OilBeDrillin'

Torres and Smyth have been cycling the puck down low since being combined to form 2/3s of the top line. suppose Hemsky was a sniper, this would be twice as effective. Smyth and Torres dig the puck out from the corners, and feed it to Hemsky who buries it, plain and simple.
it'd be easy to substitute Hemsky for Dvorak, but than Edmonton's 2nd line would be composed of two playmakers (two of York, Hemsky, or Reasoner) and no goalscorer to compliment them.

personally, i'm a supporter of line combinations that feature a powerfoward, a playmaker, and a goal scorer.

here's what i had in mind:

Isbister - Smyth - Hemsky
Torres - York - Dvorak

Old
10-22-2003, 03:54 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
I Think Torres sould go back to the forth line with Larauqe dont get me wrong i love the guy but he seems more effective on the forth line and for the people who say he has no skill and rags on him for missing a chance it all comes with the learning experiance and i remember Hemsky missing some easy goals last year.

Old
10-22-2003, 04:11 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
I Think Torres sould go back to the forth line with Larauqe dont get me wrong i love the guy but he seems more effective on the forth line and for the people who say he has no skill and rags on him for missing a chance it all comes with the learning experiance and i remember Hemsky missing some easy goals last year.
I agree with you, and said why on the Horcoff thread. I want salostyle's torque line back.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:25 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
I agree with you, and said why on the Horcoff thread. I want salostyle's torque line back.
I would agree, Isbister needs some sorta spark, and I don't think he's getting that playing with Laraque and Horcoff. I think for some reason or another Torres brings that spark when he's playing with Horcoff and Laraque. i also think Isbister who is a great skater for his size would play with more intesity playing on the Smyth-Hemsky line...He only has to wory about crashing the net and taking care of Hemsky if anyone tries anything.

GXL

Closed Thread