HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Negativity-**Only** Thread (A Place to go to vent) III

Old
01-05-2017, 09:37 AM
FossilFndr

vCash: 500
The Negativity-**Only** Thread (A Place to go to vent) III

Continue, we were @ 1K

FossilFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Negativity threads suck.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
I'm convinced it's Lavy/coaching staff at this point. If it looks like **** and smells like ****, it's probably ****. Plus the writing is on the wall. His tenure in Nashville has mirrored his other stops and of course, here we are in year 3 and we're playing like a completely discombobulated team. It started last year but the addition of Joey gave us a little bit of an energy kick. It's really irritating, largely because nothing will be done about it.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 10:38 AM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

Josi sucks this year, discuss.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 10:43 AM
TitansVolsPreds615

This franchise can't afford to ditch Lavi and hire a replacement right now. We better hope we figure it out.

TitansVolsPreds615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 10:58 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansVolsPreds615 View Post
This franchise can't afford to ditch Lavi and hire a replacement right now. We better hope we figure it out.
yes, we can.

we better hope an owner has an awakening and tells poile to get it done.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 11:47 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
yes, we can.

we better hope an owner has an awakening and tells poile to get it done.
Even if we can afford it, are we gonna' do it right after giving the guy an extension? Better bet is McCarthy - he was Lavy's guy, and that clearly sends a message, I think.

Edit - and if we don't do better on this 3 game swing, we should just leave him in Chicago.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Even if we can afford it, are we gonna' do it right after giving the guy an extension? Better bet is McCarthy - he was Lavy's guy, and that clearly sends a message, I think.

Edit - and if we don't do better on this 3 game swing, we should just leave him in Chicago.
except the McCarthy coaches the offense so not sure why him. Really it is Vanderklok and Housley's responsibilities that have failed us.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'm convinced it's Lavy/coaching staff at this point. If it looks like **** and smells like ****, it's probably ****. Plus the writing is on the wall. His tenure in Nashville has mirrored his other stops and of course, here we are in year 3 and we're playing like a completely discombobulated team. It started last year but the addition of Joey gave us a little bit of an energy kick. It's really irritating, largely because nothing will be done about it.
I'm generally very hesitant to fire folks when things aren't going well, but I honestly can't see much in the way of alternatives at this point.

Now, that said... I'd probably support it, mostly because of how this team is playing in OT. It is... decidedly suboptimal.

actually, no, this is the negativity thread. **** calm and reasonable. Rant time.

G-d Aimighty, who in the hell came up with that **** excuse for OT strategy? We have skilled players who can put pressure on the puck carrier; use them to do that in OT, for ****'s sake! But no, we play OT as though every time we touch the puck it might be our last and so we're constantly moving scared, away from anyone who gives any pressure whatsoever, and insisting on having everyone in the O-zone before we even take a shot. Never mind that transition is easier 'cause there's less opposition on the ice; Puck Possession Is Everything and so we don't dare chance taking a damn shot on net. We have the puck and we do NOTHING USEFUL WITH IT. The point of having the puck is so you can USE IT TO SCORE, not play keepaway and hope that the shootout will solve all your problems!

Seriously. This team's OT right now is the only 3-on-3 OT that I would actually call boring. It's frustrating and sickening and I hate it and whoever thinks that's a good idea needs to be dragged out into the street and have some sense beaten into them. UGH.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 12:48 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 50
Well, we can all take solace that as Lavy continues to not have a plan, and the players tune him out, Poile saved us from more time under that awful former coach.... he's barely got his current team hanging onto a PO spot with a lousy 51 pts.....

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 12:52 PM
thecloser

We seem to do things very differently from other organizations. Not that that is a bad thing. I mostly like it. I think it's contributed to some of our success.

But look at the Florida Panthers for instance. Probably a playoff team when you look at them on paper and them in recent years, but they saw their team trending in the wrong direction and fired their coach to make a change because their expectations are playoffs and nothing less now that they've gotten to that echelon of teams. We are in that same category. We expect playoffs. Hell we expect WCF and a very strong push to the SCF. Anything less is unacceptable.

I'm not sure you do it now or you wait until the end of the season. But if this team misses the playoffs this year, count me in with the one's that see it time for Lavy to be fired. I somewhat believe it needs to happen now.

I also believe the Subban/Weber trade has killed us this year. Just in terms of camaraderie. There's no continuity with the defensive pairings. Ellis and Ekholm should have never been split up. They are a perfect pair. But Lavy changes it up. I get the argument of Josi and Subban being somewhat similar playing styles but don't mess up a good thing. I was all for the Subban trade and still back it but I would be lying if I said I don't think it has effected things on the back end this year. I also believe we need to add another 3rd pairing guy. Weber and Irwin have been nice but I'd rather have a more suitable 5th and then see who wins out the position for #6 between Weber and Irwin.

And finally, I think Saros needs to split the load the rest of the way or start about 3-5 games in a row as if he's the starter and see how we do. Outside of the month of December Rinne has been as porous as swiss cheese with the exceptional Rinne performance seldomly.

I'm beginning to wonder if after this year it's time to move away from some of the old bodies. Wilson or Smith gone to Vegas, Let Ribeiro walk, Fisher I'm okay with staying, and Rinne moving to a backup who plays 25-30 games and letting Saros start to get going as a starter.

This year has been total crap after the type of team we knew last season and playoffs. And on top of all that, please for God's sake add another scoring, yes actually scoring winger. Pull the ****ing trigger. Very close to blow it up time.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Scoresberg
No more Willy :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Clearly the player who's suffered the most about Weber departure. He'll adapt. I'm sure.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 06:07 PM
predfan98

I have no idea for alternative coaches. I don't know who the coach is in Milwaukee. Is he a possibility for a half season? And what happened to the guy from about 5 years ago that was an assistant here, poile let him take a head coach job, did he go to Carolina? I don t think he did well, what about him?

Old
01-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Quote:
I have no idea for alternative coaches. I don't know who the coach is in Milwaukee. Is he a possibility for a half season? And what happened to the guy from about 5 years ago that was an assistant here, poile let him take a head coach job, did he go to Carolina? I don t think he did well, what about him?
Dean Evason is Milwaukee's coach but I don't know anything about him.

I think the other coach was Horacheck. I don't know where he went directly after us but I'm almost positive he was on Florida's staff at some point after, possibly as head coach.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2017, 07:33 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
Quote:

I think the other coach was Horacheck. I don't know where he went directly after us but I'm almost positive he was on Florida's staff at some point after, possibly as head coach.
We actually fired Horacek to make a spot for Housley. He then got picked up as an assistant in Florida and then got a shot as head coach for a bit...

01-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Preds33

Quote:

He was the HC in Florida for the 2013-2014 season, then went to Toronto as an assistant and took over as HC when Carlyle was fired.

Old
01-06-2017, 12:18 AM
sparkle twin
Love you, Nashville

Quote:
Kirk Muller was the head coach in Milwaukee. He started coaching as an assistant coach in Montreal for a few years then came to Milwaukee. He left after all of 17 games to be the head coach in Carolina. He coached there for a few years, went to St.Louis as an assistant head coach. Now this year he is back in Montreal as an associate coach.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2017, 01:52 AM
Vali Maki Sushi
Tuna Vali Maki Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
It better not be because I gave him a Buddhist good luck charm (Then again I gave Jarnkrok one and he was better than Forsberg earlier on this year).

Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2017, 06:04 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Kirk Muller was the head coach in Milwaukee. He started coaching as an assistant coach in Montreal for a few years then came to Milwaukee. He left after all of 17 games to be the head coach in Carolina. He coached there for a few years, went to St.Louis as an assistant head coach. Now this year he is back in Montreal as an associate coach.
Thank you, this is exactly who I was thinking of.....for some reason I thought he was here for a couple of games.

I don't want horachek back.

Old
01-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Scoresberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
except the McCarthy coaches the offense so not sure why him. Really it is Vanderklok and Housley's responsibilities that have failed us.
For all the **** Housley is getting on this board (including from me) I think he needs to credit for developing our defensemen. Look at guys like Josi, Ekholm, Ellis I think Housley has made them who they are. Add Irwin and Bitetto to that list, too. And Jones, FWIW.

For his lack of skill in coaching, he is still very good at developing players.

Last edited by Scoresberg: 01-06-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old
01-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
For all the **** Housley is getting on this board (including from me) I think he needs to credit for our developing our defensemen. Look at guys like Josi, Ekholm, Ellis I think Housley has made them who they are. Add Irwin and Bitetto to that list, too. And Jones, FWIW.

For his lack of skill in coaching, he is still very good at developing players.
Then move him to player development not coaching. And Josi was already progressing before Housley. Weber had alot more to do with that than Housley.

Old
01-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Scoresberg

Quote:
Then move him to player development not coaching. And Josi was already progressing before Housley. Weber had alot more to do with that than Housley.
If he's on board then absolutely. He probably wants to coach, though.

Old
01-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
If he's on board then absolutely. He probably wants to coach, though.
It shouldn't matter. For the sake of the team, the GM/HC should make this decision. Tell him that it isn't working out as defensive coach but he can stay in some player development capacity if he wants.

Old
01-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Scoresberg

Quote:
It shouldn't matter. For the sake of the team, the GM/HC should make this decision. Tell him that it isn't working out as defensive coach but he can stay in some player development capacity if he wants.
But then you risk at losing a great player developer. Agreeing with you, though.

Old
01-07-2017, 05:14 PM
LeafingTheWay

I don't like the pairings when Subban was healthy. Josi-Subban, Ekholm-Ellis is the best pairing you can get and Nashville didn't use them together when their Forwards decided to show for the season (I.e after October).

I think this team will be fine once Subban comes back and that D-pairing I said above gets put together.

LeafingTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote