HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

2017-2018 STH pricing

Old
01-10-2017, 08:35 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
2017-2018 STH pricing

Sharks raise prices for next season. My seat is going up 19℅.

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/sharks365/renew
Expanding list of benefits too.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20170110-062708.png‎ (752.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_20170110-062726.png‎ (746.8 KB, 51 views)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2017, 02:29 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Sharks raise prices for next season. My seat is going up 19℅.

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/sharks365/renew
Expanding list of benefits too.
Already? Geez.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Ernie

Isn't the South Bay Area now the wealthiest region in the USA?

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Preds33

Seems early for pricing for next year to be released. What if the Sharks for some reason fail the rest of the year? Kinda risky on the team here.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Isn't the South Bay Area now the wealthiest region in the USA?
According to Bloomberg, yes. San Jose, Bridgeport, CT, San Fran, Seattle, Boston:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ies-in-america

This report provides different info, but the wealthiest cities are all in the Bay Area:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/fina...it-highest/#TK

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2017, 04:22 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Damn the Sharks have a lot of price levels

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 03:20 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 4481585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
According to Bloomberg, yes. San Jose, Bridgeport, CT, San Fran, Seattle, Boston:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ies-in-america

This report provides different info, but the wealthiest cities are all in the Bay Area:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/fina...it-highest/#TK
Bloomberg's figures are flawed.

Bridgeport is the largest city in Connecticut and the county seat of Fairfield County but Bridgeport itself is similar to Gary, Indiana. The real money is in adjacent Stamford.

Boston has now reached San Francisco prices - which for me has become a nestegg.

With the Bruins the STH's in the lower bowl seem content with price increases, The upper bowl not so much.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 07:56 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Seems early for pricing for next year to be released. What if the Sharks for some reason fail the rest of the year? Kinda risky on the team here.
Risky in what way? Commitments probably due before season ends and there could be other incentives.

For example with the Rangers since 2012, (except 2013) if you renewed by a certain date (around March 15thish) you received a 10% rebate on your play-off tickets. With runs to the Conference Finals in 2012, and 2015 and Cup Finals in 2014, that added up. Also, with the Rangers there is such a high renewal rate and people waiting that if you give up your seats (deadline usually in April) to see how they do in the play-offs, you are not going to get your seats back. I can't comment on the renewal rates for San Jose, but I can't imagine it is that risky for the team.

Old
01-11-2017, 08:01 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Risky in what way? Commitments probably due before season ends and there could be other incentives.

For example with the Rangers since 2012, (except 2013) if you renewed by a certain date (around March 15thish) you received a 10% rebate on your play-off tickets. With runs to the Conference Finals in 2012, and 2015 and Cup Finals in 2014, that added up. Also, with the Rangers there is such a high renewal rate and people waiting that if you give up your seats (deadline usually in April) to see how they do in the play-offs, you are not going to get your seats back. I can't comment on the renewal rates for San Jose, but I can't imagine it is that risky for the team.
I get the renewed by Mid March date (the Preds even do this), my point was since Sharks put out next year's prices at the end of week 1 of January, what if the next 5-6 weeks they just totally stink and end up missing the playoffs as a result. Those prices are not likely to get them a bump in STH's, if anything they will likely lose several. I don't think it is unrealistic to wait until a week or two into February to release finalized prices. This still give fans a month to renew by the early deadline, but allows the team to reduce the increase if needed.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 08:31 AM
MJF
No Sleep Till Elmont

The Islanders are lowering most STH prices for early renewals, which starts on 1/17. The price on my seats, end 100 level, went down 40%. One reason given was so that STH prices are more in line with the prices being listed on the secondary markets. Also, it's tough to ask your STHs to renew early when your team is in last place so there had to be some incentive for us.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 08:49 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I get the renewed by Mid March date (the Preds even do this), my point was since Sharks put out next year's prices at the end of week 1 of January, what if the next 5-6 weeks they just totally stink and end up missing the playoffs as a result. Those prices are not likely to get them a bump in STH's, if anything they will likely lose several. I don't think it is unrealistic to wait until a week or two into February to release finalized prices. This still give fans a month to renew by the early deadline, but allows the team to reduce the increase if needed.
I agree, it does seem very early. However, if their renewal rate is consistently high and they do not see year-to-year fluctuation based on a rough few months, it likely doesn't matter.

Old
01-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Spartachat

The Ottawa Senators start their renewal campaign in February. However, people who did automatic renewal "Fan for Life" got their bill already for the next season. My tickets cost a couple percentage points more. Considering that wage inflation is around 1-2% this makes it more experience for fans.

Spartachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 10:41 AM
TOGuy14

Wonder what the Leafs will do for next year.

A stud looking young core and team on the rise means people are going to be hit hard in the wallets I suspect.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2017, 12:50 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post

A stud looking young core and team on the rise means people are going to be hit hard in the wallets I suspect.
Don't think it will be anything more than an inflationary increase unless they make a playoff run.

Old
01-14-2017, 03:40 PM
jason2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post

A factor could be does the Trump agenda have a factor if major companys start to pull out of the Gta that might have a impact does Mlse increase tickets big time.

jason2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 09:25 PM
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Bloomberg's figures are flawed.

Bridgeport is the largest city in Connecticut and the county seat of Fairfield County but Bridgeport itself is similar to Gary, Indiana. The real money is in adjacent Stamford.

Boston has now reached San Francisco prices - which for me has become a nestegg.

With the Bruins the STH's in the lower bowl seem content with price increases, The upper bowl not so much.
I live in FFC, and I had to do a double take when I saw that. Do they include adjacent Fairfield and Trumbull as part of Bridgeport?

Stamford is not adjacent to Bridgeport, either. It's a good 12-15 miles down 95. It has Darien, Norwalk (another city), Westport and Fairfield between them and Bridgeport. Darien and Westport are loaded with old money.

Stamford has some very nice areas (North Stamford and the area bordering New Canaan) but there are a lot of bad areas, as well. Near the hospital and the south end are both pretty bad.

Randy Marsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2017, 07:38 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2020 View Post
A factor could be does the Trump agenda have a factor if major companys start to pull out of the Gta that might have a impact does Mlse increase tickets big time.
Why would companies pull out of the GTA?

Old
01-24-2017, 07:39 AM
patnyrnyg

Co-worker is in on an Isles package. Already received renewal info. Said his tickets were almost cut in half, price-wise.

Old
01-24-2017, 08:44 AM
jason2020

Quote:
Why would companies pull out of the GTA?
If Trump brings in a border tax Canadian company's would have to pay a tax on good they sell to Americans then you add in he wants to have cheap corp taxes that is not good for Canada and the Gta which has a ton of large company's that depend big time on selling to the States.

jason2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2017, 10:41 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Jets are increasing by 3% (they require multi year commitments, where 3% was the contractual maximum). Going forward, new contracts signed have a new maximum stipulation of 5% increase.

I assume they will increase 3% until all STH are on new contracts for 5%. There are staggered renewals.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2017, 01:08 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
If Trump brings in a border tax Canadian company's would have to pay a tax on good they sell to Americans then you add in he wants to have cheap corp taxes that is not good for Canada and the Gta which has a ton of large company's that depend big time on selling to the States.
The vast majority of Leaf season tickets are held by companies in service industries which would not be affected by any US policy changes.

Old
01-24-2017, 03:21 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Don't want to get political and I could be wrong, but I think the real issue is items being produced in 3rd world countries, not so much about companies that do business in both countries. TD Bank for example is likely not going to have an issue. Not sure if it would apply to say Ford having a manufacturing plant in Oshawa.

Old
01-24-2017, 03:28 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
Don't want to get political and I could be wrong, but I think the real issue is items being produced in 3rd world countries, not so much about companies that do business in both countries. TD Bank for example is likely not going to have an issue. Not sure if it would apply to say Ford having a manufacturing plant in Oshawa.
We're not going to get any more political, but as of today there is very little evidence that a border tax would be included for anything other than American companies going north to Canada for cost purposes to more "equalize" the costs of exporting those jobs in an attempt to "keep the businesses in the US and employing Americans." Status quo will likely apply for everyone that currently exists in Canada and exports to the US.

That's as of today and I'm sure it can change, but whatever happens in the coming months should have zero impact on season ticket prices at this point.

01-24-2017, 03:33 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
We're not going to get any more political, but as of today there is very little evidence that a border tax would be included for anything other than American companies going north to Canada for cost purposes to more "equalize" the costs of exporting those jobs in an attempt to "keep the businesses in the US and employing Americans." Status quo will likely apply for everyone that currently exists in Canada and exports to the US.

That's as of today and I'm sure it can change, but whatever happens in the coming months should have zero impact on season ticket prices at this point.
I would think so, and besides I seriously doubt labor in the Toronto area would be all that cheaper than most areas of the US. I'm sure there are parts of Canada where the cost of living is less than toronto, where it would help, but can't imagine there are too many.

Old
01-24-2017, 03:38 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
I would think so, and besides I seriously doubt labor in the Toronto area would be all that cheaper than most areas of the US. I'm sure there are parts of Canada where the cost of living is less than toronto, where it would help, but can't imagine there are too many.
When it comes to Canada/US manufacturing, every time I've taken a dive in to the issue it's usually got more to do with monetary differences and the value of paying people in Canadian dollars and exporting things to the US and selling them in US dollars. Essentially the opposite of what happens in Canadian NHL markets with player salaries being paid in US dollars and tickets/concessions being sold in Canadian dollars.

Either way, it's going to have very little impact on the subject of the thread in the short-mid term.

BattleBorn is offline   Reply With Quote