HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa Critics

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 05:09 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Hossa Critics

he has not put up numbers yet, but we are bashing this guy for nothing.
He works the corners on his line. He is far from a liability for this team.
No disrespect for our veterans but Juneau, Dackell, won`t be back with us. Sundstrom will have to take a huge paycut if wants to play with us.
We are finally getting better, our future depends on what Ryder, Markov,
Hossa, komi, hainsey and others do for us. What the hell is bouillion playing while hainsey sits? He is a 6th or filler dman in this league, never a top four potential. Bob Gainey has something up his sleaves as far as I`m concerned. I think he has a deal brewing possibly involving Ribs or don`t be surprised if KOIVU IS MOVED. He is a visionary Gm, something we haven`t had in moons. He built Dallas, and he will build us.
Back to Hossa , he`s young, cheap, and has an upside. This isn`t the leafs where you have a 6 mil Nolan on the books for 2 more years, and his best days are behind him. We are in a great situation to free up huge money after this season, we will have a solid core in a few years, depth
and solid prospects coming up. The future looks great

Old
10-21-2003, 06:37 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman
he has not put up numbers yet, but we are bashing this guy for nothing.
He works the corners on his line. He is far from a liability for this team.
Agreed, Hossa has played good. I think some fans got so hyped when he score 5 goals in 4 games, when he first came up last year, that they assume he would be a big goal scorer.

Quote:
What the hell is bouillion playing while hainsey sits? He is a 6th or filler dman in this league, never a top four potential.
Playing time for the youngsters must be earned with hard work, and kept with great play. Hainsey has played O.K. so far this young season, but I think if he wants to keep a regular spot he must improve and the coaching staff is sending him a signal with this.

Quote:
Bob Gainey has something up his sleaves as far as I`m concerned. I think he has a deal brewing possibly involving Ribs or don`t be surprised if KOIVU IS MOVED.
Honestly, I can't see Koivu moved. Because of injury proneness and health concerns, we would never get fair value for him in trade, and he means more to the habs and the fans than any other player by far. Gainey I assume knows this, and would only move him in a 'can't fail' type trade, and I can't see another team offering us that type of package.

Just my thoughts.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:17 AM
Capitano

In Bob I trust. And that includes if he trades Saku. I don't think it will happen but I'd be in Bob's corner come what may.

Cap

Old
10-21-2003, 07:40 AM
scosar

The Ribs Zednik Hossa line has been terrific. Every player on the line has his role. Hossa has crashed and banged to open space for Ribs who certainly doesn't have the size for that. Get off Hossa's back. So he doesn't bring in the points, he allows the other two to score. Geez we were all complaining last year about a lack of size now some people want to get rid of the few players we have with size.

As for Hainsey, unless there is a trade brewing, benching him is criminal. I don't care what anyone says about Boulion. He went through waivers when nobody wanted him. He is never going to be a No.1-4 defenceman. I personally like Hainsey and think he will be great. I don't think he will if we keep benching him.

We are'nt winning the Stanley Cup this year. Why play Boulion. Play Hainsey and see if he turns into the player we all hope. If he doesn't then at least you know and you can draft or trade for a No 1-2 Dman. Boulion will never be that guy.

Old
10-21-2003, 09:35 AM
Guriken

In my opinion, the Hossa - Ribeiro - Zednik line has only 2 players who are doing all the plays by themselves. I mean, Hossa misses all the passes, maybe he goes to the boards but he looses the puck and anyway, if he gain it he passes the puck to Zednik or Ribeiro. Don't tell me it requires a superb talent to do that.

So, I also would like to see Hossa's talent, he pass the puck too fast and it's the other players on his line who are doing all the work.

Old
10-21-2003, 09:44 AM
Habs4ever

Lets not Overblow this topic!!

From my understanding Hossa can be sent down without clearing waivers, and he's young and could be called up when we get injuries, but he won't get that top six spot when koivu comes back atleast for this year, next year real rebuilding plan starts as Perrault, Juneau and Quintal leave but until then we'll have to wait for their departure!!!

Old
10-21-2003, 09:48 AM
hockey_nut

he's done a solid job thus far... he might not be scoring, but it's only 6 games into the season... no worries from my end

Old
10-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Blackshad

Great hands, But lazy.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
I haven't seen any great hands yet this season from him, he looks average at best and i wanna see what he can do, if he can't bring his game up a notch send him down. =|
Well so much for the patience with the youth movement. 6 games into the season (where we're winning) and some are already talking about sending a rookie down. How will that help him?

Old
10-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Garnet

Hossa

So, I also would like to see Hossa's talent, he pass the puck too fast and it's the other players on his line who are doing all the work.

Im really not sure what game your watching??? If you put points up your working hard?? Hossa digs all the puck out on that line and if it wasn't for him the line wouldn't be what it is. I watched him many times last night go deeper into his own end to make sure the puck gets out. Helping Riberio and the defense. Has this been mentioned?? I haven't seen Zednik do this yet. Hossa does all the dirty work for that line. Its been 6 games and he's played well and has improved from last year. What good would sending him to the AHL do?? Build his confidence?? I doubt it. Could really damage the kid at this point. He has did nothing to hurt the club. Actually he's did everything well but put the puck in the net. A soon to be UFA should go it only makes sense. I think Sundstrom is the one going out personally.

The facts are most of you that say send him to the AHL will be saying move him up to Koivu's line if he scores a couple goals in the next game. Patience is everything in building a winner and after 6 games isn't showing enough patience in my opinion!
No enfence but some of you flip quicker than hands on a clock!!

Old
10-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Rahan

Great hands eh?

Did you see the perfect play he f'king missed yesterday, where he had a perfect pass in front of an empty net and completely screwed his shot?

Keep telling me he's a good along the boards.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Habsolument

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Great hands eh?

Did you see the perfect play he f'king missed yesterday, where he had a perfect pass in front of an empty net and completely screwed his shot?

Keep telling me he's a good along the boards.
Keep listening to 110%

Old
10-21-2003, 02:17 PM
Howie Morenz

Hossa is doing all Ribeiro's checking and creating open ice for his two linemates. It would be nice to get more offense out of him,but he is doing the small things that sometimes go unoticed.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:22 PM
tinyzombies

Hossa has good hands and he has been hustling from what I can tell. He works those boards pretty well and hustles on the cycle.

Zednik is blind when it comes to passing and Ribs needs help down low. This is the main problem with Hossa's output I think, the line is focused solely on Zednik.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Garnet

Hossa

Well Mike Komisarek it is clear that you dislike Hossa and you have your reasons. I respect that but your one of a very small number who dislike Hossa's play. Two or three threads I have been on today you put Hossa down so your opinion is clear and abundent!!

Out side of your Hossa posts your one of the posters I enjoy reading!!!

Old
10-21-2003, 02:42 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Well you can't judge a player based on one specific play, but Hossa's all around game i'd say he's not a top six foward, and im not bias or anything im being totally realistic here and i see Hossa as VERY average at best, so far hes been very dissapointing and being sent down wouldn't be that bad on his confidence considering he has none to begin with, Lol but seriously Hossa should be given a warning or something to wake him up, thus far i see NO indication of a top six or anything near top six caliber foward. Great hands? No way, atleast not yet.
How are you being realistic? Anyone who claims to be very disappointed after 6 games on the team's best line is plainly being unrealistic, given how much that line has produced so far.

He has been keeping his game simple on the advice of Julien, who delivered a few warnings in training camp. He has been forechecking, backchecking, and cycling the puck with authority. And he consistently makes good cross-ice passes from the wing, often springing Zednik on a rush.

As someone pointed out, he is concentrating on the little things that tend to go unnoticed by impatient fans. Last night, on the 2 on 0 rush with Zednik and Ribeiro, you should have noticed that Hossa helped create the turnover by backchecking. Zednik and Ribeiro had a 2 on 0 breakaway because they were floating.

There is no point in having him go back to the AHL, where he'll only pick up bad habits. He has to learn at the NHL level with skilled linemates and determined opposition. He's doing fine for a young player in his first full season.

Old
10-21-2003, 03:02 PM
Garnet

Mikey K

Miky'K You don't have to defend yourself. Your allowed your opinion even if some of us don't agree with it!!! Go Habs Go!!

Old
10-21-2003, 03:24 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Well you can't judge a player based on one specific play, but Hossa's all around game i'd say he's not a top six foward, and im not bias or anything im being totally realistic here and i see Hossa as VERY average at best, so far hes been very dissapointing and being sent down wouldn't be that bad on his confidence considering he has none to begin with, Lol but seriously Hossa should be given a warning or something to wake him up, thus far i see NO indication of a top six or anything near top six caliber foward. Great hands? No way, atleast not yet.
Imo I always had Hossa as a very good future 3rd line winger on a very good future Habs team. He is one of best 2-way forwards with Bulis with some more upside we should be expecting. I like the work he has been doing so far this season and maybe the coaching staff has told him to focus on his intensity and he is doing just that. I think the scoring will come as he gains more confidence and become more comfortable with his play...then who knows what his upside is...

Old
10-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Lol, i don't dislike Hossa per say, but it's been very dissapointing for me to watch him, probably because he's been overhyped from the start.

If people are happy watching him playing well on the boards(which he doesn't even do that well) and nothing else, thats a shame. And please don't say give him time, he's 21, i haven't seen any real 'flashes of brilliance' or anything to that extent to be impressed. If people are satisfied with him playing a physical role with this club(which by the way he isn't even doing really) and thats all, you probably haven't read the scouting reports. Or so is it that Marcel Hossa has been overhyped from the beginning and will never amount to what he was touted as, a top six foward in the habs organization, and the nhl?

We'll just have to wait and see and if he proves me wrong i will glady shut my mouth and show some respect. ;p
Of course he was hyped. Virtually every prospect is. Get over that part of things.

I can't see how you don't see Hossa's strong play along the boards. Guaranteed if you put virtually any other Hab on that left side (other than Ryder right now) and that Ribeiro line struggles. Hossa's been a huge strength on the boards. He has also generally been the defensive conscience on that line over the last few games.

I can see where you would be disappointed in Hossa. When he had his callups in the past, he was a real force offensively. Looked like a go-to-guy and could carry a scoring line on his own. Drove the net with authority, dominated the boards, averaged 5-6 shots a game. Excellent stuff. He hasn't shown a glimpse of that since. It's frustrating, but that's how prospects go. Let's hope he continues developing and starts showing more signs of playing with authority, because his game is all about power if he's going to fulfill his potential.

Give it time. Ryder at the same age was in the ECHL, whereas Hossa is a legit NHLer already.

Old
10-21-2003, 03:35 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ
Imo I always had Hossa as a very good future 3rd line winger on a very good future Habs team. He is one of best 2-way forwards with Bulis with some more upside we should be expecting. I like the work he has been doing so far this season and maybe the coaching staff has told him to focus on his intensity and he is doing just that. I think the scoring will come as he gains more confidence and become more comfortable with his play...then who knows what his upside is...
Exactly, and you don't play 2-way forwards on teh checking line. Bulis has yet to prove he is a 2-way player... he can't score or pass.

Old
10-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Of course he was hyped. Virtually every prospect is. Get over that part of things.

I can't see how you don't see Hossa's strong play along the boards. Guaranteed if you put virtually any other Hab on that left side (other than Ryder right now) and that Ribeiro line struggles. Hossa's been a huge strength on the boards. He has also generally been the defensive conscience on that line over the last few games.

I can see where you would be disappointed in Hossa. When he had his callups in the past, he was a real force offensively. Looked like a go-to-guy and could carry a scoring line on his own. Drove the net with authority, dominated the boards, averaged 5-6 shots a game. Excellent stuff. He hasn't shown a glimpse of that since. It's frustrating, but that's how prospects go. Let's hope he continues developing and starts showing more signs of playing with authority, because his game is all about power if he's going to fulfill his potential.

Give it time. Ryder at the same age was in the ECHL, whereas Hossa is a legit NHLer already.
I'll keep my answer to this post short and sweet by saying that there's not a single word in here I disagree with.

Old
10-21-2003, 04:40 PM
SpezNc

At that time, he was a hard worker.. He went on the corner, in front of the net, he paid the price....

Now.... He seems to be less than stellar worker.....

But he is yound.. he'll gain confidence.. But i need he need some extras time in Hamilton. and recall him, what his confidence will be boosted..

Old
10-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc
I'll like to see Hossa spend some time hamilton.. I like the rookie but dislike the "I don't care" players...

Hossa, so far, is that type of guy.

He think he deserve a spot a the first 2 line.. But he is playing like an AHLer....
I hate those type of comments. How do you know he doesn't care? Just because it looks like it (to you)? And how in hell do you know he thinks he deserves a 2nd line spot? Are you his confident? Or maybe his agent? Geez people take their assumptions for reality and there goes the snowballing effect. Soon you'll see people starting to post he's hated in the locker room, he's a cancer... Wait and ya shall see the madness...

Old
10-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Canadienne

Hossa Critics

I can't believe some of you guys! After all the hue and cry about our gnarled old vets and play the kids! Play the kids! You want to start sending the kids back to the farm? Six - count them! - 6 games into an 82 game season and already the youth movement proves no match for the lack of faith or patience of some fans. What were you expecting? That a team with four or five rookies on it and a bunch of primadonna vets - without their Captain no less - would be leading the league? Oh wait! They ARE doing that, aren't they? Sure it's a temporary aberration, but it sure feels good, doesn't it?

Give the kids a break! They're all doing their best. Don't you think they feel the pressure, of what fans in Montreal expect of them, not to mention what their GM, coach and team mates do? We have a winning record so far. Our SOG average is amazing. Theo has already had one solid shutout. We beat Detroit! The system may not be perfect but it's getting better little by little every game. Brisebois and Souray have been terrific and we're scoring alot more goals than anybody ever expected! Everybody is working - nobody has been floating. Truth be told, I don't see a heckuva lot to complain about!

We're not going to be Cup contenders any time soon but as long as we're competitive and entertaining along the way, it'll be a vast improvement over the past five years!

Instead of dissing the kids, we ought to be supporting them. They're a big reason we're doing as well right now as we are! Go team!!!

Old
10-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienne
I can't believe some of you guys! After all the hue and cry about our gnarled old vets and play the kids! Play the kids! You want to start sending the kids back to the farm? Six - count them! - 6 games into an 82 game season and already the youth movement proves no match for the lack of faith or patience of some fans. What were you expecting? That a team with four or five rookies on it and a bunch of primadonna vets - without their Captain no less - would be leading the league? Oh wait! They ARE doing that, aren't they? Sure it's a temporary aberration, but it sure feels good, doesn't it?

Give the kids a break! They're all doing their best. Don't you think they feel the pressure, of what fans in Montreal expect of them, not to mention what their GM, coach and team mates do? We have a winning record so far. Our SOG average is amazing. Theo has already had one solid shutout. We beat Detroit! The system may not be perfect but it's getting better little by little every game. Brisebois and Souray have been terrific and we're scoring alot more goals than anybody ever expected! Everybody is working - nobody has been floating. Truth be told, I don't see a heckuva lot to complain about!

We're not going to be Cup contenders any time soon but as long as we're competitive and entertaining along the way, it'll be a vast improvement over the past five years!

Instead of dissing the kids, we ought to be supporting them. They're a big reason we're doing as well right now as we are! Go team!!!
You've just become one of my favs.

Closed Thread