HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Chargers move to Los Angeles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2017, 11:19 AM
  #76
Chip Chipperson
Registered User
 
Chip Chipperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,011
vCash: 500

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:19 AM
  #77
Big Poppa Puck
HF's Villain
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: D-Boss' Dungeon
Country: United States
Posts: 17,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Gross logo...

Love child of the Dodgers and Lightning.

Spanos' grandson probably drew that on a napkin this morning.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:20 AM
  #78
six sigma
Congrats, E
 
six sigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 3,742
vCash: 500
That analogy misses in that PHX and Miami didn't already have an NHL team, while LA does have the Rams--whom the fans there do already support.

I work with some guys from SD and they've been dreading this news for a year. Feel bad for them.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:20 AM
  #79
Blitzkrug
Bae over Bay
 
Blitzkrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Yo that new logo is a ****ing disgrace.

I always thought the Chargers had one of the nicest sets of uniforms in the league with the color scheme. Good to see they're ruining that too.

Blitzkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:23 AM
  #80
Just Win
Registered User
 
Just Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 12,152
vCash: 500
That logo looks like the result of a one night stand between the Dogders and the Lightning logo.

+ =

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:24 AM
  #81
Vamos Rafa
Registered User
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Armenia, California
Country: Spain
Posts: 15,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:28 AM
  #82
What the Faulk
Auggie
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 41,450
vCash: 500
The Rams aren't getting great local television ratings. Their attendance is disappointing at best. To be fair, they are a boring team with virtually no star players outside of Donald (Gurley sure doesn't count outside of like a handful of games in his career), but what of the Chargers? Is Rivers going to want to make the move in the twilight of his career, playing in front of arena sized crowds? I don't see this being a remotely successful venture.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:30 AM
  #83
berklon
Registered User
 
berklon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
That logo looks like the result of a one night stand between the Dogders and the Lightning logo.
The name of the team should be the L.A. Lightning Dodgers (similar to the original meaning of the name... Trolly Dodgers when they were in Brooklyn).

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:35 AM
  #84
Blitzkrug
Bae over Bay
 
Blitzkrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
I'd be curious to see if Rivers holds himself to the "*** you, i want out if we move" ultimatum he made last season.

Blitzkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:42 AM
  #85
Just Win
Registered User
 
Just Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Germany
Posts: 12,152
vCash: 500

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:43 AM
  #86
Hockeyfan2390
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 5,594
vCash: 500

Hockeyfan2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:44 AM
  #87
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler
 
Falco Lombardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 16,091
vCash: 500
LMAO the Lightning thinking the same as everyone else:


Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:45 AM
  #88
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 30,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
The Rams aren't getting great local television ratings. Their attendance is disappointing at best. To be fair, they are a boring team with virtually no star players outside of Donald (Gurley sure doesn't count outside of like a handful of games in his career), but what of the Chargers? Is Rivers going to want to make the move in the twilight of his career, playing in front of arena sized crowds? I don't see this being a remotely successful venture.

i think chargers have a lot better roster than rams and pretty solid base to build on. if they don't screw it up, i think they'll win more games than the rams and thus take over the marker.

bosa, henry, allen.. there's potential stars there.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:50 AM
  #89
kducks
Duck Off
 
kducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
First tier LA teams: Lakers, Kings, Dodgers, Rams

Second tier: Clippers, Ducks, Angels, Chargers
Except these aren't LA teams.

kducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:55 AM
  #90
What the Faulk
Auggie
 
What the Faulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 41,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
i think chargers have a lot better roster than rams and pretty solid base to build on. if they don't screw it up, i think they'll win more games than the rams and thus take over the marker.

bosa, henry, allen.. there's potential stars there.
Well, they're also fighting an uphill battle. I have a hard time seeing them overtake the Rams for LA's attention span. They seem like they're always going to be the second team in a market that already doesn't seem to care as much about the first as previously thought.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:57 AM
  #91
Blitzkrug
Bae over Bay
 
Blitzkrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Given how craptacular the Rams are all it might take is one good season by the Chargers for them to grab the lion's share.

...Which again shows how stupid this whole thing is. Why put two teams in such a fickle market? Sure New York has two teams both they're both well established and have fanbases.

Blitzkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:03 PM
  #92
Bonzai12
Registered User
 
Bonzai12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver CO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,272
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I understand the whole "well they'll make more money thing" but there's absolutely zero regard for tradition here, or treatment of the fans.

Kudos to the SD fans though for not caving in and giving the team all kinds of tax revenue to build a stadium. I'm hoping those days are coming to an end soon all over the country.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:05 PM
  #93
Vamos Rafa
Registered User
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Armenia, California
Country: Spain
Posts: 15,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Look I wouldn't take the Rams back if I could. I've long since moved on.

That said, if the NFL had a chance to do it over, you can't tell me they wouldn't do it differently. Especially seeing as the Raiders are a pretty good team.

You even said it yourself: the Raiders are the more popular team. And no offense to the sports fans in LA, but if you're not winning, you're not going.

In hindsight (and quite frankly many saw this a year ago) the right team to move were the Raiders. If that meant getting Stan and Davis to swap teams, so be it.

It's too late now. The bridges are burned and the worst owner in sports (in terms of winning) is in a city that demands winning along with a team with no real fan base there. Meanwhile "the more popular team" is likely headed out of the state.

You're conveniently saying that now because the Rams suck. I'm pretty sure you'd take them back if they were a good playoff team.

As for having to win, that goes for any city in America... LA just gets that horrible rep because of the city's size. Every city demands winning.

The Raiders were the right team to move. And SO WERE THE RAMS. You're living in a fantasy where you think the Rams made the wrong decision to move (back) to LA. I'm not sure if you remember last year, but the move to LA got a lot support from this board. You can't say the same about the Chargers' move.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:09 PM
  #94
yoteshot
Lazy Habs fan
 
yoteshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gatineau / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
I honestly have no clue how LA can go from 0 to 2 teams in 2 years... why not wait a bit to see if the Rams work out there before doing that?

Anyways, Chargers have a very interesting roster, and young too.

Allen, Henry, Williams and Gordon on offense are all young and with a good young QB, could be quite the core if they can find an O-line.

On D, Bosa, Perryman, Ingram, Brown and Verrett are all solid, so there's value there, too.

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:11 PM
  #95
Blitzkrug
Bae over Bay
 
Blitzkrug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
As for having to win, that goes for any city in America... LA just gets that horrible rep because of the city's size. Every city demands winning.

Sure, if you ignore cities like Green Bay, New York, Dallas, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland and a few others.

A city that demands winning is a lame excuse. If people give a ****, they'll draw regardless.

Blitzkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:16 PM
  #96
Vamos Rafa
Registered User
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Armenia, California
Country: Spain
Posts: 15,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrug View Post
As for having to win, that goes for any city in America... LA just gets that horrible rep because of the city's size. Every city demands winning.

Sure, if you ignore cities like Green Bay, New York, Dallas, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland and a few others.

A city that demands winning is a lame excuse. If people give a ****, they'll draw regardless.


Those cities you mentioned have already had established fan bases for decades. Their teams are connected to their blood. With the Rams, you're talking about a 22-year divorce. And besides the Raiders and Rams, when was the last time an LA team left town because of attendance problems? Or left the town period? LA is a better sports town than most idiots give them credit for.

And 74K a game is hardly disappointing especially for a 4-12 team.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:36 PM
  #97
JRull86
Registered User
 
JRull86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abington
Country: United States
Posts: 15,419
vCash: 500
That logo is laughably bad.

"Based on the quality of their new logo, the Chargers literally decided to move to L.A. last night.

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) January 12, 2017"


Lol.

JRull86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:43 PM
  #98
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler
 
Falco Lombardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 16,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamos Rafa View Post
You're conveniently saying that now because the Rams suck. I'm pretty sure you'd take them back if they were a good playoff team.

As for having to win, that goes for any city in America... LA just gets that horrible rep because of the city's size. Every city demands winning.

The Raiders were the right team to move. And SO WERE THE RAMS. You're living in a fantasy where you think the Rams made the wrong decision to move (back) to LA. I'm not sure if you remember last year, but the move to LA got a lot support from this board. You can't say the same about the Chargers' move.
I really wouldn't. And I don't want anyone else's team either. The only way I'd want the NFL back is an expansion team.

And yes I do think it was a mistake. The Rams are a terrible team owned by a terrible owner. Not talking about him as a person, I'm solely talking him as an owner.

And no not every city demands winning, certainly not like LA. Otherwise the Cleveland Browns wouldn't still be a thing.

But regardless, if the fans are showing up in four years from now, you can say I was wrong. Because Kroenke has a history of losing, regardless of sport. The Rams don't look like a team that is close to turning it around either.

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:44 PM
  #99
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 39,006
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Well, they're also fighting an uphill battle. I have a hard time seeing them overtake the Rams for LA's attention span. They seem like they're always going to be the second team in a market that already doesn't seem to care as much about the first as previously thought.
Raiders
Rams
Steelers/Pats/Cowboys/Packers/Niners/Broncos combined
Chargers

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:58 PM
  #100
Vamos Rafa
Registered User
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Armenia, California
Country: Spain
Posts: 15,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I really wouldn't. And I don't want anyone else's team either. The only way I'd want the NFL back is an expansion team.

And yes I do think it was a mistake. The Rams are a terrible team owned by a terrible owner. Not talking about him as a person, I'm solely talking him as an owner.

And no not every city demands winning, certainly not like LA. Otherwise the Cleveland Browns wouldn't still be a thing.

But regardless, if the fans are showing up in four years from now, you can say I was wrong. Because Kroenke has a history of losing, regardless of sport. The Rams don't look like a team that is close to turning it around either.
Ziggler, I'm not sure what being a terrible team with a terrible owner has anything to do with the move. I mean, if they stayed in Stl, you'd still be the terrible team with the terrible owner. By your logic, staying in Stl would have been a mistake, right? The Rams are in a right place. Moving back to LA where they should not have left in the first place? What mistake?

The demand for win is mostly intangible. There will always be hardcore fans who will endure lean years. The goal is not "Hey, we're gonna purposely suck to show that we still have fan support even when we are a bad team!"

The Rams are gonna be fine in LA! You just hoping for their failure is just being salty. The firing of Fisher is a good start.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.