Old
01-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Big Poppa Puck
HF's Villain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Gross logo...

Love child of the Dodgers and Lightning.

Spanos' grandson probably drew that on a napkin this morning.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:20 AM
six sigma
Congrats, E

That analogy misses in that PHX and Miami didn't already have an NHL team, while LA does have the Rams--whom the fans there do already support.

I work with some guys from SD and they've been dreading this news for a year. Feel bad for them.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Blitzkrug
Bae over Bay

Yo that new logo is a ****ing disgrace.

I always thought the Chargers had one of the nicest sets of uniforms in the league with the color scheme. Good to see they're ruining that too.

Blitzkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:23 AM
Just Win

That logo looks like the result of a one night stand between the Dogders and the Lightning logo.

+ =

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:28 AM
What the Faulk
Auggie

The Rams aren't getting great local television ratings. Their attendance is disappointing at best. To be fair, they are a boring team with virtually no star players outside of Donald (Gurley sure doesn't count outside of like a handful of games in his career), but what of the Chargers? Is Rivers going to want to make the move in the twilight of his career, playing in front of arena sized crowds? I don't see this being a remotely successful venture.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:30 AM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
That logo looks like the result of a one night stand between the Dogders and the Lightning logo.
The name of the team should be the L.A. Lightning Dodgers (similar to the original meaning of the name... Trolly Dodgers when they were in Brooklyn).

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Blitzkrug
Bae over Bay

I'd be curious to see if Rivers holds himself to the "*** you, i want out if we move" ultimatum he made last season.

Old
01-12-2017, 11:42 AM
Just Win

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Hockeyfan2390

Hockeyfan2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

LMAO the Lightning thinking the same as everyone else:

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:45 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
The Rams aren't getting great local television ratings. Their attendance is disappointing at best. To be fair, they are a boring team with virtually no star players outside of Donald (Gurley sure doesn't count outside of like a handful of games in his career), but what of the Chargers? Is Rivers going to want to make the move in the twilight of his career, playing in front of arena sized crowds? I don't see this being a remotely successful venture.

i think chargers have a lot better roster than rams and pretty solid base to build on. if they don't screw it up, i think they'll win more games than the rams and thus take over the marker.

bosa, henry, allen.. there's potential stars there.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:50 AM
kducks
Duck Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
First tier LA teams: Lakers, Kings, Dodgers, Rams

Second tier: Clippers, Ducks, Angels, Chargers
Except these aren't LA teams.

kducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:55 AM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
i think chargers have a lot better roster than rams and pretty solid base to build on. if they don't screw it up, i think they'll win more games than the rams and thus take over the marker.

bosa, henry, allen.. there's potential stars there.
Well, they're also fighting an uphill battle. I have a hard time seeing them overtake the Rams for LA's attention span. They seem like they're always going to be the second team in a market that already doesn't seem to care as much about the first as previously thought.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Blitzkrug
Bae over Bay

Given how craptacular the Rams are all it might take is one good season by the Chargers for them to grab the lion's share.

...Which again shows how stupid this whole thing is. Why put two teams in such a fickle market? Sure New York has two teams both they're both well established and have fanbases.

Old
01-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I understand the whole "well they'll make more money thing" but there's absolutely zero regard for tradition here, or treatment of the fans.

Kudos to the SD fans though for not caving in and giving the team all kinds of tax revenue to build a stadium. I'm hoping those days are coming to an end soon all over the country.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Look I wouldn't take the Rams back if I could. I've long since moved on.

That said, if the NFL had a chance to do it over, you can't tell me they wouldn't do it differently. Especially seeing as the Raiders are a pretty good team.

You even said it yourself: the Raiders are the more popular team. And no offense to the sports fans in LA, but if you're not winning, you're not going.

In hindsight (and quite frankly many saw this a year ago) the right team to move were the Raiders. If that meant getting Stan and Davis to swap teams, so be it.

It's too late now. The bridges are burned and the worst owner in sports (in terms of winning) is in a city that demands winning along with a team with no real fan base there. Meanwhile "the more popular team" is likely headed out of the state.

You're conveniently saying that now because the Rams suck. I'm pretty sure you'd take them back if they were a good playoff team.

As for having to win, that goes for any city in America... LA just gets that horrible rep because of the city's size. Every city demands winning.

The Raiders were the right team to move. And SO WERE THE RAMS. You're living in a fantasy where you think the Rams made the wrong decision to move (back) to LA. I'm not sure if you remember last year, but the move to LA got a lot support from this board. You can't say the same about the Chargers' move.

Old
01-12-2017, 12:09 PM
yoteshot
Lazy Habs fan

I honestly have no clue how LA can go from 0 to 2 teams in 2 years... why not wait a bit to see if the Rams work out there before doing that?

Anyways, Chargers have a very interesting roster, and young too.

Allen, Henry, Williams and Gordon on offense are all young and with a good young QB, could be quite the core if they can find an O-line.

On D, Bosa, Perryman, Ingram, Brown and Verrett are all solid, so there's value there, too.

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Blitzkrug
Bae over Bay

As for having to win, that goes for any city in America... LA just gets that horrible rep because of the city's size. Every city demands winning.

Sure, if you ignore cities like Green Bay, New York, Dallas, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland and a few others.

A city that demands winning is a lame excuse. If people give a ****, they'll draw regardless.

Old
01-12-2017, 12:16 PM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrug View Post

Sure, if you ignore cities like Green Bay, New York, Dallas, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland and a few others.

A city that demands winning is a lame excuse. If people give a ****, they'll draw regardless.

Those cities you mentioned have already had established fan bases for decades. Their teams are connected to their blood. With the Rams, you're talking about a 22-year divorce. And besides the Raiders and Rams, when was the last time an LA team left town because of attendance problems? Or left the town period? LA is a better sports town than most idiots give them credit for.

And 74K a game is hardly disappointing especially for a 4-12 team.

Old
01-12-2017, 12:36 PM
JRull86

That logo is laughably bad.

"Based on the quality of their new logo, the Chargers literally decided to move to L.A. last night.

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) January 12, 2017"

Lol.

JRull86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamos Rafa View Post
You're conveniently saying that now because the Rams suck. I'm pretty sure you'd take them back if they were a good playoff team.

The Raiders were the right team to move. And SO WERE THE RAMS. You're living in a fantasy where you think the Rams made the wrong decision to move (back) to LA. I'm not sure if you remember last year, but the move to LA got a lot support from this board. You can't say the same about the Chargers' move.
I really wouldn't. And I don't want anyone else's team either. The only way I'd want the NFL back is an expansion team.

And yes I do think it was a mistake. The Rams are a terrible team owned by a terrible owner. Not talking about him as a person, I'm solely talking him as an owner.

And no not every city demands winning, certainly not like LA. Otherwise the Cleveland Browns wouldn't still be a thing.

But regardless, if the fans are showing up in four years from now, you can say I was wrong. Because Kroenke has a history of losing, regardless of sport. The Rams don't look like a team that is close to turning it around either.

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Well, they're also fighting an uphill battle. I have a hard time seeing them overtake the Rams for LA's attention span. They seem like they're always going to be the second team in a market that already doesn't seem to care as much about the first as previously thought.
Raiders
Rams
Steelers/Pats/Cowboys/Packers/Niners/Broncos combined
Chargers

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I really wouldn't. And I don't want anyone else's team either. The only way I'd want the NFL back is an expansion team.

And yes I do think it was a mistake. The Rams are a terrible team owned by a terrible owner. Not talking about him as a person, I'm solely talking him as an owner.

And no not every city demands winning, certainly not like LA. Otherwise the Cleveland Browns wouldn't still be a thing.

But regardless, if the fans are showing up in four years from now, you can say I was wrong. Because Kroenke has a history of losing, regardless of sport. The Rams don't look like a team that is close to turning it around either.
Ziggler, I'm not sure what being a terrible team with a terrible owner has anything to do with the move. I mean, if they stayed in Stl, you'd still be the terrible team with the terrible owner. By your logic, staying in Stl would have been a mistake, right? The Rams are in a right place. Moving back to LA where they should not have left in the first place? What mistake?

The demand for win is mostly intangible. There will always be hardcore fans who will endure lean years. The goal is not "Hey, we're gonna purposely suck to show that we still have fan support even when we are a bad team!"

The Rams are gonna be fine in LA! You just hoping for their failure is just being salty. The firing of Fisher is a good start.