HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2016-17 Rangers Prospects Thread #3 (Stats/Info/Links in Post #1; Updated 3.12.17)

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2017, 07:43 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Haha, sick goal

Old
01-18-2017, 10:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revel View Post
I know that's not gonna happen in the NHL and is very much a junior-type of hockey goal...but that was insaaaaaane! Wow, lol
You never know. We've seen Rick Nash go end to end undressing the opposition. Goals like that do happen from time to time in the NHL.

It's just pain.
Old
01-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
His hands and feet never stop moving, that is called having a motor, doesn't matter if a goal like that can be scored in the NHL, kids got skill and a motor to go with it, thats what you take away from that video.

Old
01-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Better view of the goal here...

(via: @HockeyWebCast)

Old
01-18-2017, 02:40 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Old
01-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Better view of the goal here...

(via: @HockeyWebCast)

That's what Leetch used to do.

Old
01-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Rangers_23

That Fontaine goal was pure sex.

Old
01-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Graves has 1 fewer point in half a season this year than full season last year. Needs to get his shot wind up a little faster and reduce occasional brain farts on defense that will be exposed at the NHL level. Not an NHLer this year, but a strong competitor in preseason. Either way, will play in the NHL next season, likely in 2017 at least for a cup of coffee.

If I were the GM, buy-out Girardi, trade Staal (someone will be desperate for a defenseman, particularly with the expansion draft loses), sign Shatty, sign/trade for a 3RD, then let Holden and Graves fight it out for 3LD in September. [Yes, it works under the cap.]

Old
01-18-2017, 07:20 PM
cwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
...buy-out Girardi, trade Staal, sign Shatty, sign/trade for a 3RD, then let Holden and Graves fight it out for 3LD in September. [Yes, it works under the cap.]
just to be in synch with your vision, what of the other existing Righty D?
Klein returns for final contract year? Claimed by NV? traded?
Clendening is qualified? claimed by NV? non-Q and walks?
If they both return, i guess Graves goes down, Holden stays,

[ FYI yes NV can claim some RFAs,
NV (a) don't have to claim from only the guys who meet the required games played and contract status for each team to expose,
and (b) while NV must draft 26(14F,9D,3G) players, only 20 must be under contract for '18 ]

Old
01-18-2017, 07:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwede View Post
just to be in synch with your vision, what of the other existing Righty D?
Klein returns for final contract year? Claimed by NV? traded?
Clendening is qualified? claimed by NV? non-Q and walks?
If they both return, i guess Graves goes down, Holden stays,

[ FYI yes NV can claim some RFAs,
NV (a) don't have to claim from only the guys who meet the required games played and contract status for each team to expose,
and (b) while NV must draft 26(14F,9D,3G) players, only 20 must be under contract for '18 ]

So my thinking is McDonagh, Skjei and Graves/Holden on the left, then Shatty, Klein and a 3D that we sign or trade for. Clendo as the 7D. If we lose Klein, then we'd keep Girardi. The saving on losing Klein or buying out G is identical $2.9. Girardi can't play on the first pairing, but if he gets easier opposition on the second pair, he could still get the job done. He just gets exposed too often if he's playing against the other teams' top players. Actually, if G is bought out, we can protect Klein, McDonagh and Staal. Holden won't get picked (or a replacement can be brought in for another 4th rounder); Skjei and Graves are protected.

Old
01-18-2017, 07:54 PM
ManUtdTobbe

I say trade Klein AND buy out Girardi, sign Shattenkirk then sign a couple guys to fight with Graves and Clendening for the last 2 spots.

Old
01-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Zil

Quote:
Graves has 1 fewer point in half a season this year than full season last year. Needs to get his shot wind up a little faster and reduce occasional brain farts on defense that will be exposed at the NHL level. Not an NHLer this year, but a strong competitor in preseason. Either way, will play in the NHL next season, likely in 2017 at least for a cup of coffee.

If I were the GM, buy-out Girardi, trade Staal (someone will be desperate for a defenseman, particularly with the expansion draft loses), sign Shatty, sign/trade for a 3RD, then let Holden and Graves fight it out for 3LD in September. [Yes, it works under the cap.]
Gorton deserves a statue if they get someone to take the Staal contract without having to eat some of the money, give up additional assets, or take a bad contract back.

Old
01-18-2017, 08:18 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:

I think it's time he gets a cup of coffee now before the All Star break. Play a game, learn, go back down, work some more, and come back up. This D needs a kick in the rear. We've seen guys like Corey Potter, Ivan Baranka, Maxim Kondratiev, Ilka Helkinnen, Bobby Sanguinetti, David Lifiton, and Connor Allen gets cups of coffee. I think Graves would be better or equal to all those guys now.

Remember what a boost it was when Girardi and Cally came up in 07 to help for the playoff run? Or Hagelin and Mitchell in 11?

Old
01-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Ori

Brad Morrison a very promising Canadian center 20 years old.
Will he replace Stepan eventually?

2015 round 4 #113 overall by New York Rangers

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/ran...ne/c-285860172

Old
01-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Rangers_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori View Post
Brad Morrison a very promising Canadian center 20 years old.
Will he replace Stepan eventually?
Uhhh highly doubtful. I'll give it a 0.5% chance.

Old
01-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Ranger Ric

Corey Pronman recently posted two stories on ESPN Insider. The first listed the top 50 skating prospects and the top the goalie prospects. No Rangers in the skating prospects but Igor Shestorkin listed as the 4th best goalie prospect behind Samsonov, Sarokin and Carter Hart, all from Metro division teams. In a post Pronman said the average save percentage in the KHL is .930 so he cautioned everyone about relying on just save percentages from the KHL.

In the second story Pronman discusses the prospect who has made the most progress this year and the prospect closest to the NHL. Most progress goes to Sean Day who has made real strides in consistency. Boo Nieves is the prospect closest to the NHL. He quotes Chris Drury as saying that he plays in all situations and is an all around player.

I think someone else reported on this already but in another tweet responding to a question about Ryan Graves, Pronman sys the following:

"I think he's been great. He's no Erik Karlsson but he's sound defensively, moves the puck well. He could be up in NY soon. "

Old
01-19-2017, 01:57 PM
Overcast

vCash: 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ric View Post
Corey Pronman recently posted two stories on ESPN Insider. The first listed the top 50 skating prospects and the top the goalie prospects. No Rangers in the skating prospects but Igor Shestorkin listed as the 4th best goalie prospect behind Samsonov, Sarokin and Carter Hart, all from Metro division teams. In a post Pronman said the average save percentage in the KHL is .930 so he cautioned everyone about relying on just save percentages from the KHL.

In the second story Pronman discusses the prospect who has made the most progress this year and the prospect closest to the NHL. Most progress goes to Sean Day who has made real strides in consistency. Boo Nieves is the prospect closest to the NHL. He quotes Chris Drury as saying that he plays in all situations and is an all around player.

I think someone else reported on this already but in another tweet responding to a question about Ryan Graves, Pronman sys the following:

"I think he's been great. He's no Erik Karlsson but he's sound defensively, moves the puck well. He could be up in NY soon. "
This is pretty insane. The top 20 goalies in the KHL have a SV% of .930 or higher (although a few of that top 20 have only played a handful of games, but excluding those guys only cuts it down to like 16-17). You have to go 60 goalies deep to get to the guys who are in the .900 range. A 36 y/o goalie has a .952 SV% and 1.24 GAA on a middle-of-the-pack team.

Shesty's stats are still nice though. Hovering around top10/15 in most stuff. Doesn't look like he's faced a ton of shots though, 879 through 35 games, averages out to 25/game.

Last edited by Overcast: 01-19-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old
01-19-2017, 02:06 PM
hockeyhelmut

Morrison with a goal and 2 assists last night. I Just watch the WHL picks and seems he has the best potential. He has the best stats as opposed to his counterparts. It's all a crap shoot.

Old
01-19-2017, 02:33 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhelmut View Post
Morrison with a goal and 2 assists last night. I Just watch the WHL picks and seems he has the best potential. He has the best stats as opposed to his counterparts. It's all a crap shoot.
If you're just looking at his stats, you'll notice that they're nearly the same as they were last year. He hasn't shown a lot of progress. They only gave him one game in Traverse and also pretty much immediately sent him back to the Dub once camp began.

I wouldn't be very optimistic about him.

Old
01-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Matz03

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If you're just looking at his stats, you'll notice that they're nearly the same as they were last year. He hasn't shown a lot of progress. They only gave him one game in Traverse and also pretty much immediately sent him back to the Dub once camp began.

I wouldn't be very optimistic about him.
I had hopes Morrison would be our Tyler Johnson one day, but he's just not putting up the numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers do not offer him an NHL deal. Now if he can turns it on and finishes with 80+ points, then he could be a relevant prospect again.

Old
01-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

Morrison is the type of underachieving junior player you do give a deal. He has tools, he could be really good, he's just not yet. He's a project, maybe he figures things out, maybe not, but his upside is very high for a player drafted where he was in the draft.

Old
01-19-2017, 09:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Day was scoreless tonight. In his last six games he's without a point and minus three.

Old
01-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Revel
DXer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Buchnevich View Post
Morrison is the type of underachieving junior player you do give a deal. He has tools, he could be really good, he's just not yet. He's a project, maybe he figures things out, maybe not, but his upside is very high for a player drafted where he was in the draft.
I agree with this. I hear many people say that he plays a "junior" style game that would never work in the NHL...but the fact is, he has tools. Great hands and is a shifty, evasive skater. Has to learn to be more of a team player if he is gong to make it to (and stick in) the AHL...but that can be learned to an extent. Of course, he needs to tack on quite a few more pounds, too. He's a bit fragile for the pro game. That can also be taken care of. The book is definitely not closed on this guy. Hope he gets a contract.

Old
01-20-2017, 12:12 AM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revel View Post
I agree with this. I hear many people say that he plays a "junior" style game that would never work in the NHL...but the fact is, he has tools. Great hands and is a shifty, evasive skater. Has to learn to be more of a team player if he is gong to make it to (and stick in) the AHL...but that can be learned to an extent. Of course, he needs to tack on quite a few more pounds, too. He's a bit fragile for the pro game. That can also be taken care of. The book is definitely not closed on this guy. Hope he gets a contract.
Yeah, if I'm choosing whether I gave Morrison or Ronning a contract, I give Morrison one. Nothing against Ronning, he tries very hard, but he's not a dynamic player. For someone that size, you kind of have to be very dynamic. Meanwhile, Morrison has a very dynamic skill-set, and he's not as short as Ronning.

Old
01-20-2017, 02:08 AM
Revel
DXer

Been a while since I've posted any CHL highlight vids. Here is a vid containing Morrison's Goal & 2 Assists on Wednesday night.

Closed Thread