HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2016-17 Rangers Prospects Thread #3 (Stats/Info/Links in Post #1; Updated 3.12.17)

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2017, 02:13 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23 View Post
Uhhh highly doubtful. I'll give it a 0.5% chance.
If Nieves can be our top-line center, Morrison can definitely make the team

- Vince Pedrie
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqAEM4DVoE/
Old
01-20-2017, 02:19 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Well they have to trade Stepan first because he's old.

Old
01-20-2017, 02:26 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Are we talking about Hartford in 2 years? Because neither Boo becomes 1C in the NHL nor Morrison becomes an NHLer.

Old
01-20-2017, 02:26 AM
Revel
DXer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Well they have to trade Stepan first because he's old.
Must get younger

Old
01-20-2017, 02:27 AM
Revel
DXer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Are we talking about Hartford in 2 years? Because neither Boo becomes 1C in the NHL nor Morrison becomes an NHLer.
I think he's picking on Bern, lol

Old
01-20-2017, 03:37 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revel View Post
Must get younger
To be fair, he's an old looking 26 year old. I would kill to be 26 and have people call me old. lol
Quote:
I think he's picking on Bern, lol
For sure.

Old
01-20-2017, 03:48 AM
Ori

Quote:
Been a while since I've posted any CHL highlight vids. Here is a vid containing Morrison's Goal & 2 Assists on Wednesday night.

I like Morrison for his rebound goal and his beautiful assists - it reminds me of young Crosby, no pressure, lol. He need to work on his physical attributes though, but he is only 20. I`m really excited by his talents, but I can`t put accurate words on it since I am no scout, but Brad is very promising indeed!

And some stats of Brad: https://www.nhl.com/player/brad-morrison-8478849

Last edited by Ori: 01-20-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old
01-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Revel
DXer

Some more Morrison highlights. These highlights are from the game on 1.17.17. I've always like Morrison highlights. He's very active and always buzzing around the net. A pretty fearless guy for his size. Anyway, enjoy the vid. He scores the game winner at the end.

Old
01-20-2017, 08:36 AM
Matz03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Buchnevich View Post
Yeah, if I'm choosing whether I gave Morrison or Ronning a contract, I give Morrison one. Nothing against Ronning, he tries very hard, but he's not a dynamic player. For someone that size, you kind of have to be very dynamic. Meanwhile, Morrison has a very dynamic skill-set, and he's not as short as Ronning.
But that shouldn't be the debate, they're drafted one year apart. Someone correct me but they'll have to make a decision on Morrison this summer. They don't have to think about Ronning yet.

I'm not saying don't give Morrison a contract, just that I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. They don't have that many contract slots opening up and I can see them going after Euro or College UFA's that might be less risky, Hartford needs to be better. They have less room to give out contracts on guys they are taking a chance on.

Old
01-20-2017, 10:56 AM
cwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matz03 View Post
.. They don't have that many contract slots opening up and I can see them going after Euro or College UFA's that might be less risky, Hartford needs to be better. They have less room to give out contracts on guys they are taking a chance on.
i see these as the likely contracts going away of minor leaguers:
UFA: Glass, Kampfer, Summers, Bodie, Fontaine
RFA but not likely to get NHL deal: Donnay, Brown, Hughes

ZBoro and Gropp already signed for next years
Day is likely to be signed, and BTW Fontaine was drafted at 19
Ronning turns 20 in '97 but only became draft eligible in 2016

Last edited by cwede: 01-20-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: edit
Old
01-20-2017, 11:40 AM
Matz03

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwede View Post
i see these as the likely contracts going away of minor leaguers:
UFA: Glass, Kampfer, Summers, Bodie, Fontaine
RFA but not likely to get NHL deal: Donnay, Brown, Hughes

ZBoro and Gropp already signed for next years
Day is likely to be signed, and BTW Fontaine was drafted at 19
Ronning turns 20 in '97 but only became draft eliginle in 2016
Yea I get that, some of the UFA vets will leave, some will be resigned or new UFA's for Hartford added. If they decide to add "good" AHL players they usually get two-way deals. You can't have a Hartford team full of rookies. So again there aren't really that many contract slots there, maybe 3-4 freed up from your list. They need to be careful who they give ELC's to so they have space for college or euro UFA's etc. The prospect pool desperately needs new players with potential added.

Old
01-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matz03 View Post
But that shouldn't be the debate, they're drafted one year apart. Someone correct me but they'll have to make a decision on Morrison this summer. They don't have to think about Ronning yet.

I'm not saying don't give Morrison a contract, just that I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. They don't have that many contract slots opening up and I can see them going after Euro or College UFA's that might be less risky, Hartford needs to be better. They have less room to give out contracts on guys they are taking a chance on.
Both are eligible to play in the AHL/ECHL next year. I don't know when they have to give a prospect a contract, otherwise they go back in the draft.

Old
01-20-2017, 12:12 PM
Revel
DXer

Quote:
Both are eligible to play in the AHL/ECHL next year. I don't know when they have to give a prospect a contract, otherwise they go back in the draft.
I don't know if rules have changed, but I think it's 2 years for CHL players. Morrison has to be signed by July 1st of this year.

Old
01-20-2017, 12:20 PM
ManUtdTobbe

It's 2 years for CHL players, so no rush with Ronning and Fontaine, they'll likely go back to juniors next season.

Old
01-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Revel
DXer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtdTobbe View Post
It's 2 years for CHL players, so no rush with Ronning and Fontaine, they'll likely go back to juniors next season.
Yeah, so I think if it comes down to Morrison OR Ronning OR Fontaine...you go with Morrison. You can always sign Ronning and/or Fontaine the following year. I know Morrison was sent home early from Traverse, but I hope they will gamble a contract on him. Though he is just a smidge below PPG (45p in 46g), he's still on pace to beat last season by a good 8 to 10 points. His +/- is 20 points better than last year and should even increase more before the season ends. He also has 9 more penalty minutes so far this year than he did all of last year. While this could show a lack of discipline...it might also show he is developing an edge or a bit of a nasty streak. Could be a good thing. Bottom line is that he is improving. Maybe not by a ton, but he is making strides.

Old
01-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

There really can't be many CHL overagers who made it to the NHL. If the team doesn't think they are AHL or ECHL ready, that likely bodes very poorly for their ability to reach the NHL.

Old
01-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
There really can't be many CHL overagers who made it to the NHL. If the team doesn't think they are AHL or ECHL ready, that likely bodes very poorly for their ability to reach the NHL.
i think callahan and staal both got sent back as overagers

Old
01-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch3 View Post
Staal was in the NHL in what would've been his OHL overager year. Callahan played an overager year, but he was also not even drafted in his first draft. He was a longshot. Girardi and Holden both also played an overager year, but neither was drafted.

Some players do play an overager year, but I would think the majority of NHL players that played in the CHL did not play an overager year.

Old
01-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Raspewtin
Fire Clowneault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch3 View Post
Callahan did

Staal didn't

01-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
This isn't true at all. If you're taking about percentages that's another story but in absolute terms they're have been plenty of overagers.

Girardi was also an overager.

Old
01-20-2017, 05:05 PM
ManUtdTobbe

I don't think Ronning technically would be an overager next season either, right? Please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not 100% sure on the CHL 'rules'.

Also don't really think it's a big deal, players develop at different paces and these are late rounds picks we're talking about, they all have a very low percentage chance of being NHL players. If the best thing for their development is for them to play their overage year in the CHL then do that.

This is probably what i dislike most with these threads, people just put labels on players and make broad statements about them as if it's black or white, it's not.

Old
01-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Ranger Ric

In figuring out what the Rangers might do with Morrision let's analyze where the Rangers will be with their contracts and specifically let's focus on their contracts for forwards.

Historically the Rangers have had roughly 5 goalies, 15-16 defensemen and 25-27 forwards under contract assuming they leave two or so contracts open for trade deadline deals. This is not written in stone and this year they only have 45 contracts with the Gropp and Ziborovsky contracts sliding.

They have 16 forwards under contracts for 2017-2018: Nash, Stepan, Kreider, Zuke, Miller, Hayes Grabner, Buch, Vesey, Gropp Kovacs, Tambo, Chapie, Nieves, Fogarty, Stronwell.

They have 8 RFAs who I believe they will resign: Zibanajed, Pirri, Fast, Puempel, Lindberg, Hrivik, Jensen and Brown.

Assuming they lose a forward in the expansion draft they likely will have 23 forwards with contracts. And of course there could be trades. I don't see them resigning Glass or Fontaine but they may use those slots for veterans to help with the kids.

The bottom line is that the Rangers have about 1-5 possible open contracts for younger free agent forwards with a best estimate of 3. The only forward they have to make a decision on by June 1 is Morrison. But by June 1 most of the college and junior free agents will have been signed. And they also are likely to know if another team is not going to sign one of its junior free agents or a drafted NCAA player announces he is going to free agency on August 15 as 3 players did last year, including Vesey. So unless Morrison was a slam dunk, the Rangers probably first will take a look at available free agents before making a decision on Morrison, assuming they even consider signing him.

Old
01-20-2017, 07:29 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
This isn't true at all. If you're taking about percentages that's another story but in absolute terms they're have been plenty of overagers.

Girardi was also an overager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtdTobbe View Post
I don't think Ronning technically would be an overager next season either, right? Please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not 100% sure on the CHL 'rules'.

Also don't really think it's a big deal, players develop at different paces and these are late rounds picks we're talking about, they all have a very low percentage chance of being NHL players. If the best thing for their development is for them to play their overage year in the CHL then do that.

This is probably what i dislike most with these threads, people just put labels on players and make broad statements about them as if it's black or white, it's not.
I think it goes without saying that some players that play overager seasons turn into NHL players, and saying that it doesn't bode well for their NHL future if they do is just a pure statistical evaluation that more NHL players are playing in the NHL, AHL or ECHL either a season after they are drafted if they are late birthdays or two seasons after they are drafted if they are early birthdays.

Lets just remember that people started souring on Gropp as a prospect once he was sent back to Seattle. He wasn't good at Traverse City, but that isn't reason enough to sour on him after what was a good season last season. Where players play can certainly color the perception of that player.

So few players make the NHL, yet so many players put up decent point totals in junior hockey. Adam Tambellini had 39 points in 31 games in the WHL in his last season before being AHL or ECHL eligible. The team then sent him back to junior, he did play well with 47 goals in 71 games the next season, but now he's stalled in Hartford. He was a third round pick. He's a 22 year old who only averages .5PPG in the AHL, he's probably at best going to be a 13th forward, and might not even be that. So many of these players will not make the NHL. Its hard to figure out which will, so you look for indicators, and a few of them I think are PPG or GPG average in juniors depending on if we are talking about a pure sniper or just any other defenseman or forward, where you play the season you are AHL or ECHL eligible, whether you are NHL ready after two seasons in the AHL or ECHL, how you play in prospect camps, whether you make WJC teams.

Last edited by Pavel Buchnevich: 01-20-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old
01-20-2017, 08:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Fontaine with 2+1 tonight, mid-third. Including tonight he has 9 goals, 3 assists and a +9 in his past six games.

Old
01-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Revel
DXer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Fontaine with 2+1 tonight, mid-third. Including tonight he has 9 goals, 3 assists and a +9 in his past six games.
Another big night. Nice. He should finally have caught up with PPG pace for the season now. Very nice indeed!

Closed Thread