HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you were MacT or Kevin Lowe.. . . .

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 10:47 PM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
If you were MacT or Kevin Lowe.. . . .

Were 6 games into the new season, at a record of 3-3. Lost some games we had no business in losing, and maybe vice-versa in the win column. Certain players are performing well, others are under-performing, and others still havent even played a game yet .

And to top it off, we get to face a pissed off Colorado All Star team this thursday in Denver, hoping to wash away the bad taste that the St.Louis fiasco left us with.

What changes, if any, would you suggest for the Oilers Right Now?

(hurried or uneven trade suggestions welcome)

Old
10-22-2003, 02:09 AM
Yanner39

I think we can't disregard the good things they have done but can't forget the bad as well. The way the offense played against Buffalo, the Avs and St-Louis, I have trouble remembering how come they were shut out against Cgy and Vcr. I think you wait a little. The defense is making better passes to the forwards. As much as I want the Comrie situation rectified, I think you wait.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:32 AM
Lowetide

Ideally, Comrie would have been dealt for a C by now. However, the moment that someone calls with fair value, in the form of prospects, picks or whatever, then Comrie should be dealt.

As for the team, there's nothing so far that's been a big surprise. They lost two games because they were outplayed (the shutouts).

They lost last night's game because they are young, and forgot how they got up 3-0. It happened last year, it'll happen again.

The worst thing we can say about Salo is that he hasn't stolen a game for this team in almost 2 years.

The worst thing we can say about Horcoff is that he had a bad night.

The worst thing we can say about Eric Brewer is that the team might be asking him to do too much based on his experience and ability.

The rest is just venting, imo.

I would probably dress Semenov and Stoll over Ferguson and Pisani.

Old
10-22-2003, 07:17 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
oh Lord...yes please.

Old
10-22-2003, 07:42 AM
LawnDemon

vhanges...

pisani - here's a ticket to toronto
horcoff - here's a seat in the press box
cross - here's a ticket to hell
comrie - here's a class schedule: might as well learn how the real people have to live while you're hanging out (pouting) at the U of A.

stoll - here's horcoff's spot on the 4th line
semenov - here's cross' spot on the blueline
rita - here's a ticket to play wing with mike york and ethan moreau

edit: line changes
torres - smyth - hemsky
isbister - reasoner - dvorak
moreau - york - rita
chimera - stoll - laraque

Old
10-22-2003, 08:21 AM
jadeddog

i sit pisani for SURE... but the problem with that is that stoll aint a RW... reasoner is a jack of all trades though and could prolly move over to RW

i also sit cross and play semenov instead

and (most importantly) i sit salo for the avs game.... he has to be shown that there is some accountability for his play.... now im not saying that you sit salo long or that conklin should now be the starter (3 games does not make you a NHL starter) but i think salo needs a wakeup call ...... though i had hoped his wakeup call was last years playoffs, apparently having your GM tell you that you didnt play well enough isnt a wakeup call, but that begs the question...... what *does* it take to get this guys attention?

Old
10-22-2003, 08:28 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i sit pisani for SURE... but the problem with that is that stoll aint a RW... reasoner is a jack of all trades though and could prolly move over to RW

i also sit cross and play semenov instead

?
Stoll played RW in Kootney with Comrie as the C.

Cross should play over Ferguson - he has simply played better.

Semi should get in, but at the expense of Ferg, not Cross.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Mizral

Overall, I am pretty pleased with the Oilers play. I feel they have just been so inconsistant. To me, the Oilers ought to be 4 - 2 right now, or maybe 3 - 2 - 1. I think the win against Colorado showed the fire the team can play with. The loss against St.Louis showed how terrible the Oilers are defensivly. So a happy medium should be found, soon hopefully.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:52 AM
OYLer

When a poll was conducted of who could/would have the biggest impact as a rookie I chose Conklin. Tommy will give you 7 out 10 good solid games but if rested more he will be able to steal more games. As well I will say this again and again. Play Horcoff, Reasoner, York, and Stoll at center. Put Smytty back where he is the most comfortable and dangerous. Maybe Isbister should move to the right side to get him out of the comfort of his dead zone. At least Dvo looked a little more alive if slightly out of sync.

Big missed opportunity losing to St. Louis last night. How Pronger (I hate this guy) wasn't name 1st star with 3 assists, most minutes played, and that sweet pass to Senja befuddles me. But truthfully Tommy plays a little better could have been a tie even a win. Brewer out and Semi in for the Colorada game. Tommy out and Ty in. Stoll in and Pisani out. MacT out ... oops can't do that yet but too many more blown three (3) goal leads and the natives will get restless.

I think a AHL call-up to the roster might add a little fire to some flat feet. Heck it will only be a few bucks spent which the Heritage Classic cash-in should cover. Right side has got to pick up the pace. Once again the sage has spiced, perhaps somewhat too aromatically for some. After this little rant I might make it to a few more Ignore Lists but posting here is kinda' of like anger management therapy anyway. As always I appreciate the measured approaches of lowetide and most other posters.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Brewer out and Semi in for the Colorada game.
You know, I would LOVE to see that, just for the shock effect around here. It'd be quite the spectacle.

It will never happen though. Ah well...

Old
10-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
bergy is out tomorrow against Colorado...

He sure can't make any mistakes!!

Old
10-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Hemmer

Yeah, I don't agree with that decision at all.

Take out Ferguson and put Semenov in.

Take out Pisani and replace him with Stoll.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:06 AM
momentai

Quote:
Ideally, Comrie would have been dealt for a C by now. However, the moment that someone calls with fair value, in the form of prospects, picks or whatever, then Comrie should be dealt.

I'd go for Comrie for a good young dman but in either case, I'd want this all decided and over with sooner rather than later.

I'm not sure why everyone is so down on Pisani. Sure, I don't see the same player from last year but he hasn't been *that* bad considering the role he is in.

I'd see about sending a message to either Chimera or Isbister if I had to take a forward out of the lineup. They look like they need a wakeup call.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
Is this prediction or fact?

Old
10-22-2003, 11:15 AM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
Is this prediction or fact?
Fact

Old
10-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I dont think Colorado is the right team to tinker your lineup against, maybe Conks gets the nod, and Semi gets in, but thats it. We got Calgary and Columbus up after Colorado, so I think that those 2 games might be a good chance to ice the Stollinian one, and maybe call up another body from the T.O. (Rita, Salmo, Sarno)

guys who should have to watch a game from the pressbox before weeks end...

F.Pisani
B.Isbister
J.Chimera

Old
10-22-2003, 11:31 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63

He sure can't make any mistakes!!
well, at least hes learned to handle adversity, so this cant come as a big shock to him.

MAB plays good, tough hockey, giving us a new offensive dimension from the D which Brewer was suppose to for the past 3 years, and gets a pressbox ticket. And Fergie and Cross............well, i just cant understand Mact's reasoning sometimes.

ANd if you want a proper wakeup call after the St.Louis debacle, Conklin starts, and so does Rita and Stoll.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Master Lok

Give Simpson a small raise. The PP actually looks dangerous and confident. Amazing considering how bad we were last year.

Old
10-22-2003, 01:25 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Were 6 games into the new season, at a record of 3-3. Lost some games we had no business in losing, and maybe vice-versa in the win column. Certain players are performing well, others are under-performing, and others still havent even played a game yet .

And to top it off, we get to face a pissed off Colorado All Star team this thursday in Denver, hoping to wash away the bad taste that the St.Louis fiasco left us with.

What changes, if any, would you suggest for the Oilers Right Now?

(hurried or uneven trade suggestions welcome)
If it's possible of course, I sign Mike Comrie.

I then ship Shawn Horcoff, Jani Rita or Pisani or other and whatever is needed to finish the trade, to Washington for Peter Bondra. If you can't get him, you trade a little less to Tampa for Freddy Modin.

I then trade Jason Smith+ for a younger, less expensive defenceman. And re-sign Steve Staios long-term.

Bondra-Comrie-Hemsky
Smyth-York-Dvorak
Isbister-Reasoner-Chimera
Torres-Stoll-Laraque

now tell me those forwards aren't good...

And if Salo doesn't get his act together, I have a talk with Buffalo about any of the three young guns there, with Marty being first on my list, and give Ty alot of starts (relatively) until the meantime.

This isn't even me gettin mad yet either....

Old
10-22-2003, 01:34 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
The worst thing we can say about Salo is that he hasn't stolen a game for this team in almost 2 years.
You must have missed the couple stretches in the season where he would go for two weeks with a .960 save%. He HAS stole the Oilers some games in the last couple years! Two years ago he was fine before the olympics.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:00 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
If it's possible of course, I sign Mike Comrie.

I then ship Shawn Horcoff, Jani Rita or Pisani or other and whatever is needed to finish the trade, to Washington for Peter Bondra. If you can't get him, you trade a little less to Tampa for Freddy Modin.

I then trade Jason Smith+ for a younger, less expensive defenceman. And re-sign Steve Staios long-term.

Bondra-Comrie-Hemsky
Smyth-York-Dvorak
Isbister-Reasoner-Chimera
Torres-Stoll-Laraque

now tell me those forwards aren't good...

And if Salo doesn't get his act together, I have a talk with Buffalo about any of the three young guns there, with Marty being first on my list, and give Ty alot of starts (relatively) until the meantime.

This isn't even me gettin mad yet either....
LMAO! you go from trading for Bondra to trading for MODIN???!!!??!!? Freddy is decent, but come on - he scored 50 points ONCE and that was over two years ago. He's not young, so it's not like he will potentially break out! But anyways, don't mind you plans... here are mine:

saying that Comrie CAN'T be used to get the upgrade to first overall next year, I would:
Trade Comrie, Smith, Chimera, Pisani(I'd love to give him away)
for
Kozlov, first, Mezei

Kozlov completely solves our problem for size up the middle - and could thrive in a fast paced Oilers system. Mezei and Semenov would be the scariest up and coming Dpair in the NHL, and we - of course - get me a first.

FLA Get's Comrie who seems to be getting interest there. Smith would be Keenans favorite defensman I'm sure. Chimera would fit in good on their second or third line and would also be much liked by Keenan. Pisani would be an adequate third/fourth liner for FLA who lacks decent depth players.

Our lineup after deal:
Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky
Rita-Kozlov-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-York
Torres-Horcoff-Laraque

That would give us three EXCELLENT lines that could score. Rita needs to be up here, and this way room is made for him. If he blows his chance, then he's out, Horcoff goes to third line RW, York to second line LW and Stoll in fourth line Center. Our blue line would look like:
Brewer-Cross
Staios-Mezei/Semenov (split time, who ever plays best)
Ferguson-Bergeron

If Mezei and Semi both play excellent the Fergys time is up and one of the two big boys slide in beside Bergy. A simple little rotation could actually be made out of the two spots for the three youngster. Mezei, Semi, and Bergy all play two out of three games and then sit one untill they prove who should be in and who shouldn't be and if all three should be then again, Fergy is out.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
You must have missed the couple stretches in the season where he would go for two weeks with a .960 save%. He HAS stole the Oilers some games in the last couple years! Two years ago he was fine before the olympics.

Yes, I agree. He certainly stole games previous to the Olympics. I'll amend it to 18 months.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:12 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yes, I agree. He certainly stole games previous to the Olympics. I'll amend it to 18 months.
he stole games last year too! He was incosistent, yes - but when he was hot he was as good as any goalie in the NHL. Only problem is that he was only hot for about 1/4 of the year. for about 1/2 the year he was average and for the other 1/4 he was below average.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:14 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

You could get Kozlov for alot less than that I'm betting.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
he stole games last year too! He was incosistent, yes - but when he was hot he was as good as any goalie in the NHL. Only problem is that he was only hot for about 1/4 of the year. for about 1/2 the year he was average and for the other 1/4 he was below average.

I love Tommy, and I've defended him on this board since it started. But he was poor for the Oilers last season, and even though the team went through hot streaks and his Save Pct had highs and lows, he wasn't an impact player.

And the goal 11 seconds into Game 6 of the Dallas series was a bullet through the heart. Not just because it was 11 seconds in (or whatever it was), but because it was such a wretched goal.

This season, he's let is some poor goals (the one from the silly angle, against Colorado? I don't recall), but I don't blame him for last night. The Weight goal looked tipped by Tkachuk to me, the Danton/Jefferson goal was his fault and the Mayers goal was not his fault. He had more holes than Bonnie and Clyde on the breakaway, and that was the game.

I don't blame Tommy for last night, but I don't credit him much for last year.

Closed Thread