HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports aka Home of the worst offenses in their respective leagues Thread XXX

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2017, 02:03 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 50
Other Sports aka Home of the worst offenses in their respective leagues Thread XXX

Talk about Vance Joseph here
Talk about how awesome Arenado is here
Talk about Kroenke moving the Nuggets to London here
Talk about any other sports outside hockey in this beautiful state or any other state here except for soccer

Last edited by JWK: 06-08-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old
01-13-2017, 02:04 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethro109 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
Damn, things are moving quick. McCoy has been hired, Joe D and Dennison are gone.
Quote:
I was hoping we'd find a way to keep Wade too. But this such a overreacting statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
I get the idea of being a bit scared moving forward, and I agree that Wade being gone is the biggest reason for trepidation - but the sky is falling attitude is just too much.

Who is to say that Joe Woods doesn't surprise everyone. Dennison HAD TO GO and McCoy could be a great thing for sure. It's possible we take a minor step back on defense and one forward on offense. I doubt we remain out of contention for long. This isn't the Avalanche, and it isn't Sakic. In Elway I trust, he's never given me a reason not to and I am not going to start now despite the season even starting yet.

Everyone around here couldn't step over themselves fast enough to praise Sakic on the Bednar hire and look how that's worked out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I'm still optimistic.

A lot of leading is the talent that you have. And Von Miller is arguably one of the top 5 players at any position in the entire league. I'm sure the defense will be fine.

Joseph used to work under Wade and I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot of the defensive staff retained.

I'm more curious now if Knapp makes it through this as the QB coach. That's the position to really keep an eye on. Second position to keep an eye on is the DL coach who has worked with both Wade and Joseph. We need to retain him but if we lose him to LA that would be a pretty big loss.
Quote:
All the defensive assistants are still under contract so if the Broncos want to keep them, they will still be here next year. Either Schefter or Klis tweeted that the Rams asked for permission to talk to some of them but the Broncos denied them.

TE coach now gone as well. Looks like VJ isn't wasting time cleaning house on offense. I'd like to see Knapp retained as well. But they might be eyeballing Musgrave as QB coach if they hire McCoy. Musgrave could also step in for the 18-19 season if McCoy gets another HC gig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Abusement Park View Post
The Rams D could be really really good next year. Well granted the offense can get them off the field at some point of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
Put me in the group that thinks losing Wade is seriously bad.

I think the guy won us a Super Bowl with that amazing playoff run last year. Jospeh is going be a step down from having any other HC and Wade.

Prove me wrong again Elway. Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Some massive overreaction to the Wade Phillips departure, IMO.

The Broncos' defense is now in its inevitable decline - regardless of Wade. They were terrific for 3 years, likely will still be quite good next season, but these sorts of things don't typically last very long in the NFL.

They lost two good starters last offseason, they'll lose at least one more this offseason, a couple of guys are getting close to 30 (when they'll start to decline), and the team really has to focus on the OL early in the draft (I would think, given the state of the OL). Throw in a moderate injury or two, and they're going to likely move down from an elite defense to just a good one.

A lot of fans will be screaming "Wade! Wade!" when this happens, but that won't be the real reason.

Besides, Joe Woods has a very good reputation coaching the defensive backfield - one that has been really good for Denver. If he were promoted, it would provide continuity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsrule2002 View Post
When I watch the Broncos defense, I don't see anything incredibly genius in scheme or play calling. Its Von Miller and a stud secondary. It sucks that Wade is leaving, but if Woods is the new DC, I don't really see anything changing much on defense. No worries here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
watch all-22 from last years AFCCG.
Quote:
...and great speed at LB/SS.

The defense's big problem this upcoming season is going to be run defense by the DL. Williams is likely gone, and while he wasn't great, he was solid. Wolfe is the only DL out there who looks above average against the run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
What
Quote:
They play man to man coverage a lot, and get after the QB. Don't need to scheme much with that personnel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
It's not that simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArWKo View Post
Woods did run one of the best secondaries in the NFL, so I've got confidence that he won't be completely lost as a DC, plus he'll have Vance's help as well obviously.

I do think losing Wade is pretty unfortunate though, all things equal I much would have preferred him back in the fold.
Quote:
It's also not that difficult with the players we have on defense. I guess I'm just trying to say that losing Wade will not destroy this defense, especially if Woods is the new DC. He will run pretty much the same defense as Wade, which was pretty much puting players in position to suceed, and then letteing them do their thing.
As long as we shore up the run defense, I don't think losing Wade will hurt nearly as much as people think it will.
Quote:
Totally agree on this!
Ending from the last thread

Old
01-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Bubba Thudd
Hubba Hubba

vCash: 6200
Team archery is great.

Old
01-13-2017, 02:33 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Fire McDaniels!

Old
01-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Musgrave QB coach
McCoy OC

How can you guys be down in the dumps on this team?

Old
01-13-2017, 03:15 PM
ASmileyFace
Perfect Ding Dong

Quote:
Musgrave QB coach
McCoy OC

In Elway we trust. Two great hires.

Old
01-13-2017, 03:45 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Musgrave QB coach
McCoy OC

Fantastic work by Elway!

Old
01-13-2017, 04:00 PM
ABasin
The good old days...

Quote:
Musgrave QB coach
McCoy OC

Yes, there's seems to be an inordinate amount of doom-and-gloom in regards to the defensive coordinator.

That said, there are major positional concerns on this team. Namely, QB, OL, and DL. Possibly TE as well, though I think that they'll give Green and Heuerman one more shot.

Old
01-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Bonzai12

QB should improve but OL has got to go hand in hand with it.

The middle of the DL will be a concern with Sly hitting FA but at the same time he's Sly Williams - I can't imagine it's going to be earth shattering to find a replacement for him.

OL is going to be the worst. There's just not a lot out there. Whoever they bring in as OL coach is just going to have to dig in and try and get as much out of these dudes as possible.

I think the 3rd WR spot is also crucial. They've given multiple guys lots of opportunities there and none have grabbed it. Taylor I think is the best bet there but wow could we really use a 3rd WR/PR. I would make Booker full time KR.

Old
01-13-2017, 04:30 PM
ABasin
The good old days...

Quote:
QB should improve but OL has got to go hand in hand with it.

The middle of the DL will be a concern with Sly hitting FA but at the same time he's Sly Williams - I can't imagine it's going to be earth shattering to find a replacement for him.

OL is going to be the worst. There's just not a lot out there. Whoever they bring in as OL coach is just going to have to dig in and try and get as much out of these dudes as possible.

I think the 3rd WR spot is also crucial. They've given multiple guys lots of opportunities there and none have grabbed it. Taylor I think is the best bet there but wow could we really use a 3rd WR/PR. I would make Booker full time KR.
Yeah, the Latimer miss has been a bummer. Not sure why they can't find a veteran FA to fill the 3rd WR spot.

NT/DE is going to have to be addressed, IMO. Williams is likely gone, and while he wasn't a world beater, he is a decent player. And the other thing about Williams: he's never hurt and missing games. Wolfe is a good player, but he gets dinged a lot. If he's out for a period of time and Williams is taken away, that DL is quite underwhelming. They not only need a Williams replacement, but Gotsis has to become a player next season. They're going to have to use a 2nd/3rd round pick here, I think.

OL? They're going to have to use a couple of picks (1st/3rd, is my guess) on players who will need to be able to play. The good news is that really quality guards can be found in the 2nd/3rd rounds. The tackle position is going to be the problem. They tend to go quickly in the draft, and cost bucks in FA.

Old
01-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Bonzai12

Yeah OT is going to be the issue. They've missed on too many OTs now and stuffed them into the G spot. Eventually someone's gotta play out there.

Old
01-13-2017, 10:09 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Big Al and Dmac dropped the idea of the Broncos trading for Phillip Rivers...and it didn't sound crazy. It will never happen. But it's not too crazy.

Old
01-14-2017, 09:41 AM
ABasin
The good old days...

Quote:
Yeah OT is going to be the issue. They've missed on too many OTs now and stuffed them into the G spot. Eventually someone's gotta play out there.
I think it all depends on what happens early in the draft, and what FAs are out there. Right here and now (prior to underclassmen declaring), it looks like a relatively weak year for OTs, but a strong one for OGs. Putting the FA thing aside for now:

My guess is they'll go for a OT with the 20th pick in the first round. They certainly won't get Robinson or Ramczyk at that pick, but they could still get the 3rd-5th best OT in the draft at #20. Perhaps Bisnowaty or someone like that.

In round 2, my guess is they could either go NT/DT, or they could go OG. I'm guessing a lot of DTs will go in round 1, but very few OGs will. So, they could get the 6th-10th best DT at that spot, or get the 1st/2nd best OG in the whole draft. It'll really depend on who's gone by the time that 51st pick comes around. If they go OG, they could get a really good one, like Feeney/Crowder/Johnson/Banner/etc. If they go DT, they're going to be down that list quite aways - Jarron Jones perhaps. Something like that.

In round 3 (with their regular pick), I think they'll do whichever of those two positions they didn't do in round 2. They'll be at the 15th-ish best DT at that point (at best), but still could be in 4th-6th best OG territory.

For the two round 3 compensatory picks, my guess is CB and WR. Webster could be gone in a few months, Roby is in the last year of his contract, and Talib will be 31 after next season. And they need someone besides Thomas and Sanders to catch the damn ball.

My best guess:

Round 1: OT
Round 2: DT
Round 3: OG
Round 3: WR
Round 3: CB

Thoughts?

Old
01-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Bonzai12

I like it a lot AB. The only 2 I'd flip flop might be DT/OG

The cap numbers for 3-4 NT are just so much drastically lower than your typical 4-3 DT. They don't get paid the same. Out of all the positions where we need help, I believe the 3rd WR and NT spots are where we could plug holes in FA. I doubt KC will let him go, but what about Dontari Poe at that NT position? He's a FA.

On OL, there's some guys I would take fliers on. Whitworth would be a fantastic signing, although he is 35 and probably going to decline in coming years. They'd probably still take a OT if they signed him. Ricky Wagner is a solid RT from Baltimore and only 27. Remmers will be a FA - please please don't let that happen! Lots of young/part-time starters in Menelik Watson (28), Cameron Fleming (24), Cris Hubbard (26, but more of a G) that could provide some strong competition.

Old
01-14-2017, 01:46 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
poe is gonna get paid. he's shown some pass rushing ability in the past when not used almost exclusively at NT. snacks got 8.5 on avg and though he's the better run stuffer of the two, he offers no pass rush. harrison had as many sacks in his career when he signed that deal as poe has this season (1.5). would be very surpised to see that deal come under 10M per. probably close to 15M per.

i think there's a chance they let him go or have to. eric berry has to be priority. kansas would riot if they let him walk.

Old
01-14-2017, 03:59 PM
ABasin
The good old days...

Quote:
I like it a lot AB. The only 2 I'd flip flop might be DT/OG

The cap numbers for 3-4 NT are just so much drastically lower than your typical 4-3 DT. They don't get paid the same. Out of all the positions where we need help, I believe the 3rd WR and NT spots are where we could plug holes in FA. I doubt KC will let him go, but what about Dontari Poe at that NT position? He's a FA.

On OL, there's some guys I would take fliers on. Whitworth would be a fantastic signing, although he is 35 and probably going to decline in coming years. They'd probably still take a OT if they signed him. Ricky Wagner is a solid RT from Baltimore and only 27. Remmers will be a FA - please please don't let that happen! Lots of young/part-time starters in Menelik Watson (28), Cameron Fleming (24), Cris Hubbard (26, but more of a G) that could provide some strong competition.
Sure, Poe would be great. But someone is going to pay that guy big. Don't know that Denver can afford him.

As for FAs on the OL, the Broncos are probably going to have to take one there. I believe they need 3 new starters on the line. They might be able to push one of the current starters to a backup role, but only if the contract is correct.

Old
01-14-2017, 04:46 PM
famicommander

going to the Mammoth game again tonight. Hopefully they do better than their home opener.

They're 1-1 on the year, playing the New England Black Wolves tonight.

Old
01-14-2017, 05:05 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
I'm a big fan of the Seahawks being down at halftime...can't stand the team.

Go Falcons (just for this week, then it's back to me not really caring about you).

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
Old
01-14-2017, 05:16 PM
Bonzai12

Kyle Shanahan is destroying Atlanta

Old
01-14-2017, 06:53 PM
Foppberg

Didn't expect to make it far, but still sucks.

Old
01-14-2017, 07:11 PM
dahrougem2

Love seeing the Seahawks lose

Old
01-14-2017, 07:14 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Love seeing the Seahawks lose

Old
01-14-2017, 07:17 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post

Old
01-14-2017, 11:30 PM
dahrougem2

A playoff game where Brady throws 2 INT's and the Patriots lose a fumble, and he Texans can only put up 16 points.

A shame that it came down to a bad Houston team and a Raiders team with no QB for the Patriots to play.

Old
01-15-2017, 03:22 AM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

Quote:
Sure, Poe would be great. But someone is going to pay that guy big. Don't know that Denver can afford him.

As for FAs on the OL, the Broncos are probably going to have to take one there. I believe they need 3 new starters on the line. They might be able to push one of the current starters to a backup role, but only if the contract is correct.
I'm still on the Calais Campbell train, then try Peko, Kilgo and Gotsis in the middle.