HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports aka Home of the worst offenses in their respective leagues Thread XXX

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2017, 10:36 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
There's the tiniest part of me that wants to see the Patriots win because I'm genuinely curious as to what Chet's reaction would be...

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
Old
01-24-2017, 10:37 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Man I hope the Falcons can win this one. The team is hot at exactly the right time. It's likely our last hope at a major championship for a while. It's now or never.
Your team is in good shape going forward. Top 5 QB, best receiver in football, a plethora of targets for the QB, up and coming defense that will most likely improve and you play in a manageable division. The future is bright.

Old
01-24-2017, 11:03 AM
tucker3434

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Your team is in good shape going forward. Top 5 QB, best receiver in football, a plethora of targets for the QB, up and coming defense that will most likely improve and you play in a manageable division. The future is bright.
I'd like to believe that but there's just so much up and down by everyone not named the Packers or Patriots, even over the course of just this year. If the Falcons ended the season playing like the week 8 Falcons, they aren't headed to Houston. It just seems like if they're going to do it, it's got to be now.

I think they've got a good shot. They're definitely playing as well as the Patriots right now. They just need to keep it up and not freeze under pressure.

Old
01-24-2017, 01:09 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
There's the tiniest part of me that wants to see the Patriots win because I'm genuinely curious as to what Chet's reaction would be...
Honestly, at this point I'm over it.

Yes I'm rooting for the Falcons, but Pats win so be it. There are still doubts in my mind as to how valid any of their victories are. But if they win, they win. There is nothing I can do about it. No sense in wasting my time *****ing about it.

I still feel some of their wins in the past should come with asterisks by them, but that will never happen. Just like there will never be any asterisks by Barry Bonds name in the MLB record books.

I also feel at some point Belichick, Brady and McDaniels will get what they deserve, as I'm a firm believer in karma.

Old
01-24-2017, 02:31 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Honestly, at this point I'm over it.

Yes I'm rooting for the Falcons, but Pats win so be it. There are still doubts in my mind as to how valid any of their victories are. But if they win, they win. There is nothing I can do about it. No sense in wasting my time *****ing about it.

I still feel some of their wins in the past should come with asterisks by them, but that will never happen. Just like there will never be any asterisks by Barry Bonds name in the MLB record books.

I also feel at some point Belichick, Brady and McDaniels will get what they deserve, as I'm a firm believer in karma.
Now I am curious. What prior conduct would earn them an asterisk? You surely can't be talking about Spygate or Deflategate, right?

Old
01-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Now I am curious. What prior conduct would earn them an asterisk? You surely can't be talking about Spygate or Deflategate, right?
The funny thing is the team he supports has had it's fair share of transgressions but those don't seem to bother him.

Old
01-24-2017, 02:38 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
The funny thing is the team he supports has had it's fair share of transgressions but those don't seem to bother him.
Hey now...when it comes to the Patriots (since I know you're a fan), there's only 3 things that we'll likely agree on:

1) Tom Brady is in the conversation for all-time greatest QB

2) Spygate was widely overblown and most NFL fans don't understand what it really was about

3) Deflategate was ridiculous

Other than that, you're on your own buddy!

Old
01-24-2017, 02:45 PM
chet1926

Quote:
The McDaniels crap that he brought to Denver bothered me because I thought the Broncos were better than that. But at least he was fired soon after that incident.

I'm not sure what other stuff you could be referring to, as the Broncos are a well run organization that hasn't been under NFL investigation consistently the past 10+ years.

Sure there are off field incidents involving players, but that happens with every team in the league so you surely can't be referring to those transgressions.

Old
01-24-2017, 02:47 PM
chet1926

Quote:
I'm not going to waste my time talking about the Patriots. I clearly have my opinions about the team, their coach, and their owner. I'm sure you know where I stand on those issues.

Old
01-24-2017, 02:53 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
I'm not going to waste my time talking about the Patriots. I clearly have my opinions about the team, their coach, and their owner. I'm sure you know where I stand on those issues.
It doesn't get under my skin that you dislike the Patriots, as they're not my favorite NFL team. But when you are trying to equate them to Bonds, who knowingly took banned substances in order to effect the outcomes of the games he played in, to the wrongdoings ANY NFL organization (New England or otherwise), then you should be prepared to "show your work".

Quite clearly I asked if you were referring to Spygate and Deflategate, since those are the two primary grievances most non-Patriot NFL fans hold against them. Neither of those instances compare in any way/shape/form to Barry Bonds taking steroids. Defategate COULD have been similar...if the NFL didn't botch its handling of the investigation, which included Goodell lying about Brady's testimony (not to mention the referee admitting that he didn't record the pre-game PSI numbers, nor could he recall which of the two gauges he used to record it...and those two gauges gave out vastly different readings).

Old
01-24-2017, 03:13 PM
chet1926

Quote:
It doesn't get under my skin that you dislike the Patriots, as they're not my favorite NFL team. But when you are trying to equate them to Bonds, who knowingly took banned substances in order to effect the outcomes of the games he played in, to ANY NFL organization (New England or otherwise), then you should be prepared to "show your work".

Quite clearly I asked if you were referring to Spygate and Deflategate, since those are the two primary grievances most non-Patriot NFL fans hold against them. Neither of those instances compare in any way/shape/form to Barry Bonds taking steroids. Defategate COULD have been similar...if the NFL didn't botch its handling of the investigation, which included Goodell lying about Brady's testimony (not to mention the referee admitting that he didn't record the pre-game PSI numbers, nor could he recall which of the two gauges he used to record it...and those two gauges gave out vastly different readings).
Spygate as it is referred to, involved them videotaping signals from an illegal spot on the field. While not the biggest issue of all-time, still was a violation and clear attempt by the Patriots to do something that was not legal. Questions of their videotaping practices date as far back as the 2001 super bowl, where it is possible that they video-taped the Rams walkthrough. Though never confirmed, rumors have surfaced with former employees willing to testify to this. It's pretty clear that the Patriots like to use somewhat questionable videotaping as part of their repertoire, in an attempt to gain an advantage on their opponents.

Deflategate, like you said was botched. But if you get down the nitty gritty of what happened, it was most likely an attempt to gain an advantage over an opponent. Questions about under-inflated footballs used by the Patriots date back as far as the 2014 season. While not the worst thing a team can do, still pretty deliberate attempt to bend the rules in their favor. I do find it ironic that the Pats have the lowest fumble percentage in the league by quite a fair margin dating to that point in time. Seems to me that under-inflated footballs might be easier to hang on to. I don't know just a hunch.

I relate these two things to Barry Bonds and his HGH issue because all are attempts to bend the rules in your favor to gain an advantage on an opponent. While Bonds steroid use is much worse in my opinion, all are attempts to bend the rules/cheat, whatever you want to call it, to gain an advantage.

Old
01-24-2017, 03:37 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

Quote:
Spygate as it is referred to, involved them videotaping signals from an illegal spot on the field. While not the biggest issue of all-time, still was a violation and clear attempt by the Patriots to do something that was not legal. Questions of their videotaping practices date as far back as the 2001 super bowl, where it is possible that they video-taped the Rams walkthrough. Though never confirmed, rumors have surfaced with former employees willing to testify to this. It's pretty clear that the Patriots like to use somewhat questionable videotaping as part of their repertoire, in an attempt to gain an advantage on their opponents.

Deflategate, like you said was botched. But if you get down the nitty gritty of what happened, it was most likely an attempt to gain an advantage over an opponent. Questions about under-inflated footballs used by the Patriots date back as far as the 2014 season. While not the worst thing a team can do, still pretty deliberate attempt to bend the rules in their favor. I do find it ironic that the Pats have the lowest fumble percentage in the league by quite a fair margin dating to that point in time. Seems to me that under-inflated footballs might be easier to hang on to. I don't know just a hunch.

I relate these two things to Barry Bonds and his HGH issue because all are attempts to bend the rules in your favor to gain an advantage on an opponent. While Bonds steroid use is much worse in my opinion, all are attempts to bend the rules/cheat, whatever you want to call it, to gain an advantage.
Ok, but with Spygate, the actual act of taping signals isn't illegal (as you noted). What Belichick did, and got properly penalized for, was doing it in a non-sanctioned zone (which was previously a sanctioned zone). I don't look at that as being the same as taking steroids. Because their action was fine, just not the location.

The whole "taping the Rams walkthrough" is an actual myth that the reporter who claimed it had to walkback. There's literally 0 evidence of this. So the "talk of it" is all from people who don't like the team. You can choose to believe that talk if you want, that's all fine, but it's not grounded in any sense of evidence as we know it today.

As far as Deflategate...yeah, there's been rumors of underinflated balls, but again, nothing concrete until that AFC Championship game. And that whole thing was messed up from the start. You can't have an NFL employee going to a member of the Patriots organization and saying "We caught you now, you ****ed up!" (or however he said it) You can't have the NFL intentionally leaking incorrect information as it relates to the PSI, and then never taking the steps to correct that information. We learned from the released testimony that Goodell lied about what Brady said in his testimony, and that the Referee for the game, Walt Anderson, never recorded the pre-game PSI readings for either team's footballs, and couldn't remember which of the two gauges he used to perform the tests.

As far as the fumble percentage...I think that's a ghost that non-Patriot fans hold on to. It's widely known how much of a hard-ass Bill Belichick is when it comes to fumbles...unless you're Tom Brady, you're getting your ass benched if you put the ball on the ground (and given the carousel of RB's in NE, he clearly has no problem benching a player for a long stretch of time).

Here's where I stand: If the Brady/Belichick tandem had been in Denver, you'd be praising them right now. You'd be doing everything New England fans do when someone bashes them. Hell, I WISH Belichick coached Peyton (either in Indy or Denver), because I think Peyton would have had more rings at the end of his career. It's pretty hard to have dynastic tendencies in any sport these days, so on a certain level you have to give Brady and Belichick a modicum of respect...they've dominated that Division (and the NFL) for 10+ years now, that's pretty hard to do. I'm sure once Brady retires that team will have trouble doing anything, it's not going to be as easy as NE fans believe (in my opinion) with just plugging in another QB.

Oh well, I've said my piece (and you yours), hope you have a good rest of your day.

Old
01-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
You'll never win, Chet.

Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels are Gods of Boston who can do no wrong.

Just get on your knees and praise them for being prepared for every instance of everything that could possibly happen in an NFL game.

Old
01-24-2017, 08:23 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

Meh...whatever. I'm not a huge fan of the Pats, Brady, or Belichick but there's no denying Brady is one of the best of all time.

But really I just kinda checked out of football the minute the Broncos started plummeting down the standings. I hope the Falcons win just so we can see someone new win it, but otherwise I won't be that mad if the Pats do it once again.

Old
01-24-2017, 08:29 PM
Foppberg

Would be nice to see Atlanta win, **** the Patriots. Plus at least we lost to the eventual SB champs.

Old
01-24-2017, 08:29 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

.....anyways, 69 days until opening day in baseball, jump on the Rockies bandwagon now!!!

Old
01-24-2017, 11:46 PM
ASmileyFace
Perfect Ding Dong

Hmmmmm

Old
01-25-2017, 12:54 AM
GrahamCracker

vCash: 618
I'm all for grabbing Romo, but only if we completely overhaul our o-line. Dude would die with our current o-line. He regularly gets injured with the best o-line in football.

Old
01-25-2017, 09:08 AM
ASmileyFace
Perfect Ding Dong

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamCracker View Post
I'm all for grabbing Romo, but only if we completely overhaul our o-line. Dude would die with our current o-line. He regularly gets injured with the best o-line in football.
Agreed. Romo is paper thin and would be torn to shreds behind our line. But I can't help but be excited for how much better he is than a combination of Lynch/Siemian.

Old
01-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
I'm torn on who I want to win. I hate the Patriots far more than the Falcons. I hate Pats fans far more than I hate Falcons fans. Sounds like I should root for the Falcons but here's the thing.... How much more irritating can Pats fan get? They cant possible get worse. If the Patriots win I really don't even care when their fans brag because they do that anyway. The Falcons on the other hand have a few fans that I don't know if i'll be able to tolerate if they win.

Old
01-25-2017, 09:56 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamCracker View Post
I used to think the exact same as you but I've come around on this for a few reasons -

1) I'm not sure Dallas was the "best o-line" in prior seasons with Romo. They were still pretty young. Yeah one freak injury this year and Dallas O-Line has been terrific this year but I'm not convinced they were so great in years prior when Romo played.

2) I look at Siemien and Lynch and they didn't get absolutely crushed. Some injuries - yeah for sure. But what if Romo did actually hold up?

3) We were saying the same things about Peyton Manning when he came in as we are with Romo. Remember when we used to wince every time Peyton got hit? It turned out ok. Sure it was risky and chancy with Peyton but it worked out. This would be a similar risk - for sure.

4) Call me a little crazy but I'm also hoping that the O-Line today isn't what it will be in 2017/2018. It needs overhauling and you can't make QB decisions for next year based on what your O-Line did last year. What if both units got injections of free agents? What if you traded for Thomas and acquired Romo both? All of a sudden you're pretty formidable. What I'm saying I guess is that you can't base the Romo decision on the 5 guys you had on 2016/2017 especially if you're looking to change out some of the line in 17/18.

Old
01-25-2017, 10:49 AM
Alex Jones
BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!

Quote:
I'm cheering for the Patriots just so I can see people flip out on facebook.

Old
01-25-2017, 11:00 AM
ABasin
The good old days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokecheque View Post
Meh...whatever. I'm not a huge fan of the Pats, Brady, or Belichick but there's no denying Brady is one of the best of all time.

But really I just kinda checked out of football the minute the Broncos started plummeting down the standings. I hope the Falcons win just so we can see someone new win it, but otherwise I won't be that mad if the Pats do it once again.
I just want a competitive game through 3 quarters - score within 7 points. Don't care who wins in the end.

Old
01-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

I can't wait to see fans of 31 NFL teams call the hotel of the patriots the night before the super bowl with all kinds of threats so that these CHEATERS will get evacuated hourly.

Scouting the NHL Draft
www.thehockeyprospector.com
Old
01-25-2017, 11:58 AM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
I'm torn on who I want to win. I hate the Patriots far more than the Falcons. I hate Pats fans far more than I hate Falcons fans. Sounds like I should root for the Falcons but here's the thing.... How much more irritating can Pats fan get? They cant possible get worse. If the Patriots win I really don't even care when their fans brag because they do that anyway. The Falcons on the other hand have a few fans that I don't know if i'll be able to tolerate if they win.
It can and it will.

Closed Thread