HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price - MVPrice is back

View Poll Results: What's Price's problem?
He's hurt 19 8.52%
He's having confidence problems 22 9.87%
His team D is letting him down 26 11.66%
He's bored 21 9.42%
He's sick of supporting the coaching staff 48 21.52%
He's beginning an inevitable physical decline 17 7.62%
It's a slump, chill out. 70 31.39%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2017, 10:32 AM
  #26
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 7,046
vCash: 500
Good or not , you don't built a team around a goalie in 2017.Pittsburg won the cup with rookie goalie who started the year in the AHL and this season best goaltender is devan freaking Dubnyk .

And if MB is archair enough to built around price , MT is not a good fit. You need a run and gun system where both team are getting alot of scoring chance and you expect price to outplay the opposite goalie.If your best player is a goalie , the optimal way to use him its when both team gets 35+ shots on goal not 15.

Bieber fever is online now  
Old
01-14-2017, 10:51 AM
  #27
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,193
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Good or not , you don't built a team around a goalie in 2017.Pittsburg won the cup with rookie goalie who started the year in the AHL and this season best goaltender is devan freaking Dubnyk .

And if MB is archair enough to built around price , MT is not a good fit. You need a run and gun system where both team are getting alot of scoring chance and you expect price to outplay the opposite goalie.If your best player is a goalie , the optimal way to use him its when both team gets 35+ shots on goal not 15.
On that same token, you don't get rid of a goalie just because he's too good.

It's possible to have a great goalie and a team that isn't built around him. See Chicago.

Frank Drebin is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 11:12 AM
  #28
CostaMtl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
On that same token, you don't get rid of a goalie just because he's too good.

It's possible to have a great goalie and a team that isn't built around him. See Chicago.
You dont get rid of Price. But before making him the highest salary on the team you might want to think about the option of trading him.

CostaMtl is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 11:12 AM
  #29
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
On that same token, you don't get rid of a goalie just because he's too good.

It's possible to have a great goalie and a team that isn't built around him. See Chicago.
the one problem is if you are paying Price 9 or 10 Million. Then it makes things difficult.

So no you don't get rid of Price because his the habs best player until someone takes that title away from him. But you think about extending him. If Price was on his way to his second Vezna and leading the team to a cup final MB would be salivating at signing Price this summer to a blank check.

But I think all judgement in the end needs to be reserved till after the playoffs. Price just needs to go back to giving the team a chance to win each game he starts. Having a game like the TOR game is fine because he was good enough to be part of the team victory. Vezna's and stats don't matter as much as W's.

scrubadam is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 11:14 AM
  #30
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaMtl View Post
You dont get rid of Price. But before making him the highest salary on the team you might want to think about the option of trading him.
Thats what no one gets. You bring up Price's numbers this year an automatically you are jumped on for wanting to trade Price.

Contract is up in 1.5 years and he is going to want big money. You have to think about that bridge before you cross it.

Good think there is still time. Its not a rush for MB to go and sign Price or trade Price today. Yzerman had lots of resolve and patience with Stamkos/Hedman/Drouin and it paid off for him on all 3.

scrubadam is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 11:40 AM
  #31
Alexsin
Registered User
 
Alexsin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Some say he isn't himself right now.

Looks like many used a small sample size (one, two years at best) to believe he will be incredible for the rest of his career.

Not saying he is bad or even average, just that maybe the 2014-15 Price wasn't the real Price either...

Alexsin is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 11:49 AM
  #32
CostaMtl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsin View Post
Some say he isn't himself right now.

Looks like many used a small sample size (one, two years at best) to believe he will be incredible for the rest of his career.

Not saying he is bad or even average, just that maybe the 2014-15 Price wasn't the real Price either...

Pretty much this. Price has /is pretty much average since the beginning of his career except one season and half where he was on fire. Back to normal Carey. The best hockey player in the world. LOL

CostaMtl is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 11:58 AM
  #33
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,193
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
Thats what no one gets. You bring up Price's numbers this year an automatically you are jumped on for wanting to trade Price.

Contract is up in 1.5 years and he is going to want big money. You have to think about that bridge before you cross it.

Good think there is still time. Its not a rush for MB to go and sign Price or trade Price today. Yzerman had lots of resolve and patience with Stamkos/Hedman/Drouin and it paid off for him on all 3.
8.5 or more is a mistake. 7.5 or less is an insult. IMO.

Frank Drebin is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 12:02 PM
  #34
TheAntiPrice
Registered User
 
TheAntiPrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,453
vCash: 1380
If he doesn't get back up to .930 this season and then remains in the low .920s next season, 7.5M would be a mistake as well. Low .920s is just slightly above average for starters in the league and slightly above average starters in the NHL don't make 7.5M. You especially don't give that to someone on the wrong side of 30 with extensive injury history.

TheAntiPrice is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 12:02 PM
  #35
CostaMtl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
8.5 or more is a mistake. 7.5 or less is an insult. IMO.
In between those numbers , Im fine keeping Price. But Im affraid we are kidding our self if we think Price wont ask for 10+ .

CostaMtl is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 12:09 PM
  #36
CostaMtl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
If he doesn't get back up to .930 this season and then remains in the low .920s next season, 7.5M would be a mistake as well. Low .920s is just slightly above average for starters in the league and slightly above average starters in the NHL don't make 7.5M. You especially don't give that to someone on the wrong side of 30 with extensive injury history.
How can you stay calm and bring some true facts when you talk about Price? Its like all the brainwashing from the media (CH shills) hasnt affect you?

CostaMtl is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 12:28 PM
  #37
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
What's the point of that post?
The reason I quoted you on your last post because it made no sense. Couldn't tell what your point was at all.

nhlfan9191 is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 12:36 PM
  #38
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
8.5 or more is a mistake. 7.5 or less is an insult. IMO.
I agree. If Price can fall into that range its all good. But if he want 9 or 10 thats a huge decision.

scrubadam is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 01:06 PM
  #39
Chili
Registered User
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: la Belle Province
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,101
vCash: 500
Jacques Plante won the Vezina and Hart in 1961-62.

He was traded at the end of the following season

Jose Theodore won the Vezina and Hart in 2001-02.

Habs missed the playoffs the following year and 2 1/2 seasons after his MVP year he was gone.

Does Price still have some of his best hockey ahead? Quite possibly but I don't know if he can ever have a season to equal 2014-15.

Chili is online now  
Old
01-14-2017, 01:09 PM
  #40
Victorius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Jacques Plante won the Vezina and Hart in 1961-62.

He was traded at the end of the following season

Jose Theodore won the Vezina and Hart in 2001-02.

Habs missed the playoffs the following year and 2 1/2 seasons after his MVP year he was gone.

Does Price still have some of his best hockey ahead? Quite possibly but I don't know if he can ever have a season to equal 2014-15.
I don't think his knee-leg is 100%. And will never be again. That is sad. I don't think he can play more than 55-60 games per year, from now on. He let lots of energy in the last Wold Cup whre he had to outplay Halak to win it.

Victorius is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 01:40 PM
  #41
Chili
Registered User
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: la Belle Province
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorius View Post
I don't think his knee-leg is 100%. And will never be again. That is sad. I don't think he can play more than 55-60 games per year, from now on. He let lots of energy in the last Wold Cup whre he had to outplay Halak to win it.
Price will be judged on the playoffs this year.

Plante actually had surgery on his knee in 1961 and ended up playing for many years but he always played a standup style.

Fuhr was never the same after tearing his knee.

Schneider has not been the same this season after injuring his knee last March.

Time will tell.

Chili is online now  
Old
01-14-2017, 01:54 PM
  #42
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,474
vCash: 500
Interesting take... it's in french, but it mainly blame that useless world cup and the difficulties some players from Team Canada are having this season, espacially with that idiotic condensed schedule.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...l-a-seffondrer

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 01:58 PM
  #43
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?
 
Carey Commit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: All over Canada
Posts: 1,836
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Carey Commit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Jacques Plante won the Vezina and Hart in 1961-62.

He was traded at the end of the following season

Jose Theodore won the Vezina and Hart in 2001-02.

Habs missed the playoffs the following year and 2 1/2 seasons after his MVP year he was gone.

Does Price still have some of his best hockey ahead? Quite possibly but I don't know if he can ever have a season to equal 2014-15.
Probably not, no but it was obviously a career peak at the time, logically he was in his physical prime but also he basically didn't slump at all for the entire season until he started to at the VERY end of the reg season. It's like a 40 goal scorer who shoots 20% one season and scores 55. Even when his numbers normalize and he's a 40 goal guy again the next year, he's still great. I think 13-14 is a good bar of what I'd expect from Carey, .927 SV%, a little bit of struggles in the middle part of the year but overall an elite goalie who's also a leader and great at little things like puck play.

Right now, I'm not loving what's going on. It's frustrating to see his numbers take a hit and I just don't want it to snowball like it did during the lockout season but big picture, there's no reason to believe it's anything to worry about long term.

Carey Commit is online now  
Old
01-14-2017, 02:21 PM
  #44
M.C.G. 31
Moderator
BE HUMBLE
 
M.C.G. 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country:
Posts: 72,655
vCash: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimStone64 View Post
Why does he need a break? He's played 30 games in last 14 months. I seen a lot of goalies, from Worsley, Dryden, Roy play 60 games a year a lengthy playoff run, never be mental fatigue.
He himself has said this year's schedule is getting taxing on him.

__________________
M.C.G. 31 is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 03:46 PM
  #45
Hackett
BAKAMAN
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,184
vCash: 500
I think the habs are using him appropriately. He has only played one back to back. I would have him at zero, but that's okay.

So if this has something to do with fatigue, it was probably unavoidable. If it's something personal, hopefully it gets resolved sooner than later.

Whatever the case, I maintain that I'm not worried about price and I expect him to be in form when it counts the most.

Hackett is online now  
Old
01-14-2017, 03:52 PM
  #46
Victorius
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Interesting take... it's in french, but it mainly blame that useless world cup and the difficulties some players from Team Canada are having this season, espacially with that idiotic condensed schedule.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...l-a-seffondrer
Bergeron and Toews have suffered from it. But Price and Weber were really good for a couple of months. They seem exhausted now.

Crosby... ? Well. he is Crosby.

Victorius is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 04:35 PM
  #47
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,379
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
The reason I quoted you on your last post because it made no sense. Couldn't tell what your point was at all.
I am in the camp of Price doesn't do enough right now. And I disagree with the people who keep giving up these excuses about the team, the deflections, and so on. People talk about him as if he's just another goalie. That he can't do ****, puck was deflected. Yet, when we ALL acknowledge how incredible he was, that was because he was stopping all those deflections. He was moving from post to post stopping unstoppable pucks. Now, people who loves to bash posters who just have the opinion that Price struggles, comes out with "but that shot was great" "but that was unstoppable".

And I'm against that. Pretty clear for me. In the end, the ones who are dissapointed by Price performance right now seem to be the one who thinks the world out of him. We're dissapointed 'cause we're expecting him to be what he used to be. While the ones who "defend" him talk about him as if he's just a fine goalie. That's not what he's suppose to be. Suppose to be so much more than that. A top goalie makes the difference. And yet, not only was he seen as a top goalie, he was now seen as a top player all positions included. Imagine how great the difference he's suppose to make. The guy, while not perfect, has to be better. We should just all acknowledge this, don't give excuses, and move on.

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
01-14-2017, 04:45 PM
  #48
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I am in the camp of Price doesn't do enough right now. And I disagree with the people who keep giving up these excuses about the team, the deflections, and so on. People talk about him as if he's just another goalie. That he can't do ****, puck was deflected. Yet, when we ALL acknowledge how incredible he was, that was because he was stopping all those deflections. He was moving from post to post stopping unstoppable pucks. Now, people who loves to bash posters who just have the opinion that Price struggles, comes out with "but that shot was great" "but that was unstoppable".

And I'm against that. Pretty clear for me. In the end, the ones who are dissapointed by Price performance right now seem to be the one who thinks the world out of him. We're dissapointed 'cause we're expecting him to be what he used to be. While the ones who "defend" him talk about him as if he's just a fine goalie. That's not what he's suppose to be. Suppose to be so much more than that. A top goalie makes the difference. And yet, not only was he seen as a top goalie, he was now seen as a top player all positions included. Imagine how great the difference he's suppose to make. The guy, while not perfect, has to be better. We should just all acknowledge this, don't give excuses, and move on.
I think its hard to acknowledge because there is so much invested in the "The team is nothing without Price" narrative that has been built up these past 5 years. Admitting that maybe Price isn't always the best player in the world and sometimes his teammates have to bail him out goes against that narrative. It goes against all the things said about the other players and managers in the organization.

scrubadam is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 04:47 PM
  #49
Genesis76
Registered User
 
Genesis76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Greece
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 50
We traded Subban, I dont see why we cant trade him and Pacioretty for some quality young players.

Or all the grinders in the NHL because we are a grinding team after all we do not need skill.

Genesis76 is offline  
Old
01-14-2017, 04:50 PM
  #50
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
We traded Subban, I dont see why we cant trade him and Pacioretty for some quality young players.

Or all the grinders in the NHL because we are a grinding team after all we do not need skill.
I dont see what this false saying has to do with Price?

Rads/Max/AG/Byron/Plek/DD/Mitchel/Markov/Beau/Petry these guys are grinders with no skill?

Habs probably have one of the least amount of "grinders" in the NHL.

scrubadam is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.