HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price - MVPrice is back

View Poll Results: What's Price's problem?
He's hurt 19 8.52%
He's having confidence problems 22 9.87%
His team D is letting him down 26 11.66%
He's bored 21 9.42%
He's sick of supporting the coaching staff 48 21.52%
He's beginning an inevitable physical decline 17 7.62%
It's a slump, chill out. 70 31.39%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C.G. 31 View Post
I just think he's fatigued. He missed 70 games last year and was thrust right into top competition. December/January hits and it goes to ****, likely because of workload (14 games in December which included the Christmas break) and now 7 games through the first 14 days of January.

I think it's strictly fatigue related which is to be expected after missing pretty much an entire season and being thrust right back into the thick of things and pacing 60+ starts.
Why would he be fatigued though if he had so much time off last year? Wouldn't he be more recharged?

01-15-2017, 12:48 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Why would he be fatigued though if he had so much time off last year? Wouldn't he be more recharged?
No.

If you take a year off doing something at the highest level, your body doesn't just go back to being able to handle that identical load at that level again.

If you take a year break from marathon running and all you can do is some mild jogging, and short distances.. eventually, when you're back to running marathons, your body will fatigue quicker because it lost a lot of endurance.

It happens a lot with injured players. They come back from an injury, a long lay off, they are on fire.. and then it dwindles, they lose themselves for awhile, then they adjust and come back to form.

Old
01-15-2017, 12:50 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
No.

If you take a year off doing something at the highest level, your body doesn't just go back to being able to handle that identical load at that level again.

If you take a year break from marathon running and all you can do is some mild jogging, and short distances.. eventually, when you're back to running marathons, your body will fatigue quicker because it lost a lot of endurance.

It happens a lot with injured players. They come back from an injury, a long lay off, they are on fire.. and then it dwindles, they lose themselves for awhile, then they adjust and come back to form.
Okay interesting. Hopefully that's the case here. Do you have some examples?

Old
01-15-2017, 12:52 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Okay interesting. Hopefully that's the case here. Do you have some examples?
I'm trying to think of some particular points in time. I remember it use to be common place with Higgins (lol).

It might be purely anecdotal on my part for that, but I do know that with a long lay-off, the body will run into a period where it will fatigue and performance will dip.

Price is used to being a work horse, but it was almost a calendar year until he got back into action and playing games is far more intensity than practice or goalie coach sessions.

I would say that if his play doesn't trend upward near the end of January, that would be cause for performance concern.

Edit: Current example could be Rinne. He's had some injury troubles with hip surgeries, etc. and has only recently started rounding back into form.

Old
01-15-2017, 01:02 PM
jjmathews202

Why Do People Believe Price Won't Re-Sign With Us?

What are people's reasoning behind this?

Old
01-15-2017, 01:03 PM
ProspectsFanatic
Artturi Lehkonen

Why are you generalizing some people opinion?

Old
01-15-2017, 01:04 PM
the

vCash: 50
Same here, never heard any rumor of him wanting to leave except for here...

Old
01-15-2017, 01:07 PM
KawaYui

Only the pessimist posters believe that.
There's really no reason as to why Price wouldn't want to resign here.

Old
01-15-2017, 01:09 PM
jjmathews202

Because it's a popular narrative and a nagging worry many posters here have, and I want to better understand. Wanted to open a dialogue....

Old
01-15-2017, 01:11 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Some people think we are pretenders and that if presented with an opportunity with a contender that Price would leave town.

I think that's the narrative.!

Old
01-15-2017, 01:17 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmathews202 View Post
Because it's a popular narrative ....
It is?

I'm a regular poster/reader here and I've never once heard this narrative.

Old
01-15-2017, 01:27 PM
CostaMtl

In a way, I hope he doesnt want to resign with us. His future salary will be a burden

Old
01-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Roadhouse
Lehkonen is a 350z

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaMtl View Post
In a way, I hope he doesnt want to resign with us. His future salary will be a burden
Does this mean you think Lindgren would be ready by the time Price needs to re-sign? Or are you calling for a trade involving Price and a goalie coming back our way?

Old
01-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Vincent Lecavalier

vCash: 659
You have to think that Price wants to win a cup and that Montreal (even with price) cannot win one in a reasonable amount of time.

From that we can assume Carey would not re-sign and go look to sign with a team that is contending or would be with Price.

If i was him and i wanted to do that, i would go on FA take a big discount to play for contender, win a cup and go sign a big contract with whoever and get traded to Vancouver to retire in my native land.

I don't believe Price will do any of this, i believe he's going to sign in Montreal the biggest contract the franchise ever offered or he's going to be a team guy and take a discount so the BergePlan can continue it's course towards that 25th.

Old
01-15-2017, 02:23 PM
Frank Drebin

I think he takes a discount here or becomes an albatross elsewhere. 0% chance he is traded.

I would hope for another 6 year contract as he'll be 31 by the time this contract is up and essentially on the tail end of his prime.

Old
01-15-2017, 02:34 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
Because a portion of this fanbase hates having, and keeping, elite players.

Old
01-15-2017, 02:37 PM
jfm133

It's Price who will decide, a bit like Subban in a way. If he asks for too much, that will force Bergevin to move him. If he agrees on a reasonable extension, he will stay. One way or the other, it needs to be done next summer. You cannot afford to lose him for nothing as a UFA.

Old
01-15-2017, 02:55 PM
TheAntiPrice

vCash: 1380
It's not so much if Price wants to re-sign, the question is if MB believes it's a good idea to spend 15% of the team's cap space on an aging, declining, injury prone goaltender. In my personal opinion, f he gets back to elite level with .930+ SV% and brings home a cup in the next 2 years, then sure he then deserves it at that point. Otherwise, if he maintains this season's erratic level of play, no thank you. Serviceable goaltenders for relatively cheap really aren't that hard to find in the NHL, it is also possibly our strongest position depth wise in the farm.

Old
01-15-2017, 05:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

My guess (assuming he continues his high level of play until contract time) is that he signs up for somewhere around 8.5. I think he could demand more than that and probably get it but something tells me he'll be alright with that number.

I also don't see him not re-signing here. There's nothing compelling that's made me think otherwise.

Old
01-15-2017, 06:01 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
My guess (assuming he continues his high level of play until contract time) is that he signs up for somewhere around 8.5. I think he could demand more than that and probably get it but something tells me he'll be alright with that number.

I also don't see him not re-signing here. There's nothing compelling that's made me think otherwise.
Depends on the cap. But certainly in the $8-$9M range.

Old
01-15-2017, 06:12 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:

People have been freaking out his next contract since he won the awards and exaggerating what it'll take. He'll get more then the $7 million Rask and Rinne got but given the age an 8 year deal would take him to, I have little doubt he'll get maybe abit more then Lundqvist. Even with the cap inflation.

Old
01-16-2017, 07:59 AM
Genesis76

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Because a portion of this fanbase hates having, and keeping, elite players.
Pretty sure 99% of the fan base loved Subban, he was the only true ELite and consistant player we ever had.

6 years with us 6 years of HOF hockey.

Old
01-16-2017, 09:16 AM
scrubadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
Pretty sure 99% of the fan base loved Subban, he was the only true ELite and consistant player we ever had.

The guy had one good year thats not even close tonwhat guysbloke Burns or Karlsson are doing. A little hyperbolic statement there no ?

Old
01-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post

You forgot to put a LOL or a at the end of that gem.

Old
01-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Captain Wolverine

Quote:
Maybe initially, but endurance is developed by increments, and a long layoff followed by a full dive in can mess you up.

And consider the high pressure, high intensity aspect of goaltending. There is a ton of mental fatigue that you can develop playing goal, the constant state of anticipation and awareness you need to maintain. Price has also been playing a lot of hockey starting with the World Cup. Its worth giving Montoya more starts now, especially with the level of competition, the offensive support and the points in the bank. Price needs to be physically and mentally fresh for the playoffs.

Closed Thread