HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Bruins Playoffs Odds - Currently 75.2% chance of qualifying

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2017, 09:50 PM
  #26
Mathews28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,854
vCash: 500
So if 97 pts does it, then they need to get 47 in the next 35 games.

That means playing at a 107 point/season clip.

To date they are playing at an 89 point clip. The level of improvement required is immense.

Mathews28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 10:06 PM
  #27
TheBigBadB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: North Andover
Country: United States
Posts: 9,286
vCash: 500
They had a better record at this point last year and still missed. Until they are firmly in the playoffs I don't trust they have the mental toughness when they need to win

TheBigBadB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 07:26 AM
  #28
caz16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 96
The last two seasons, the Bruins were in great shape according to this "playoff chances" site. I don't know what will happen but at this point it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped down and then got a winning streak going at the end of the season. Probably miss by a point again or worse, tied like last season and still not make it.

What could possibly be worse than the last two seasons in that regard? I hope they either crash and burn with no chance of making it or push and earn a spot rather than seeing other teams blow by at the end.

caz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 07:52 AM
  #29
ODAAT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,280
vCash: 500
This team, with so many chasers having games in hand will need a run like the Sens had a few years back where they took NO nights/days off, anyone here confident this team has that in them?

Not this fan

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 08:02 AM
  #30
remer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,171
vCash: 500
No, I think the writing is on the wall.

Toronto has 6 games in hand and are 3 points behind
Ottawa has 6 game in hand and are 3 points behind
Florida has 2 games in hand and are 3 points behind
Tampa has 2 games in hand and are 5 points behind ( finally getting healthy)

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 08:08 AM
  #31
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathews28 View Post
So if 97 pts does it, then they need to get 47 in the next 35 games.

That means playing at a 107 point/season clip.

To date they are playing at an 89 point clip. The level of improvement required is immense.
hard to imagine 97 points will be the threshold this year... with 4 powerhouse teams in the conference theres going to be a lot of loses...

montreal now seems safe even with price showing hes human... but after these 5 teams you can make a case everyone else is a potential 500 team

I mean philly did have a 10 game win streak... and Toronto is now 8-1-1... so these 2 franchises have strung together one single stretch of decent hockey... but other than that both teams are extremely flawed and just 500 hockey

Carolina has probably played as good as us... they were hurt by that 6 game start to the season... but honestly does their lineup scare anyone? ill tentatively give them the second wildcard spot

but that still leaves 2 teams necessary to knock us out of the playoffs... 2 teams that have to get to 97 points if 97 points is going to be the knockout point

if you happen to like tampa... they would require even a better record than us to get to 97 points... don't see that happening

Toronto? no back up goalie... Anderson has never shown he can play more than 50 games without becoming inconsistent. wouldn't surprise me with the Toronto crammed second half if we don't see some massive burnout here.

Ottawa? I mean even if you think Ottawa can keep it together... that's only 1 team

I cant begin to imagine we are going to have 3 teams at 97 points coming out of our division.

I see Ottawa already coming back to earth... Toronto soon to join them... tampa possibly catching fire... but we are ahead of tampa

its not the ringing endorsement to say we are a super power... its just everyone else is in worst shape than we are

Ottawa has their self imposed budget... we cant see them making much of an improvement in the trade market.

Toronto is still rebuilding... they wont be trading prospects for improvements

we got a surplus of prospects that have no room to play for us... we have cap room... it seems obvious we will be trying to improve

since we are 500 with these over achieving teams to begin with... once we make improvements its hard to imagine we wont have the edge

and remember Toronto has had NO injuries yet... all their key players are having career best seasons... it can be argued that Bergeron, krecji, backes are all well below expectations for us and krug had half a season where he was invisible

someone might argue rask has played well... and id tell them hes pretty close to his career norm outside of his last season where he was way below career norm

it sucks maybe for some to admit it... but rask is only playing the way we expect him to play every year... yes he is that damn good

outside of pastrnak and carlo for the first 20 games... I'm not sure we have had anyone playing above expectations for us. I don't see any reason to expect a fall off in the play of anyone the second half outside of possibly pastrnak and carlo

we aren't great... we aren't the favorite to take the cup... we might not even be favorite to win a series... so I don't feel I'm an apologist for this team, but it will shock me if we aren't in the playoffs...

might only have 88-89 points... but that's all its going to take

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 08:33 AM
  #32
BruinDust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
its not the ringing endorsement to say we are a super power... its just everyone else is in worst shape than we are
Yeah but this is incorrect.

Your not giving the Bruins competition for those spots enough credit. Not even close.

BruinDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 08:35 AM
  #33
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I'm going to refer to this as the C3PO thread.

By the end of the season, 3PO, played by Jack Edwards will explain to Han Solo (Clode) that the Bruins' playoff odds are 720:1.

"Never tell me the odds!"

__________________
"It's definitely exciting any time you get a chance to get back behind a bench. I couldn't ask for more."
smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 08:42 AM
  #34
Orrfourever
Bruinaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 133
vCash: 450
Well of course they make the playoffs.
I refuse to think otherwise.

Go Bruins!!!

Orrfourever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 08:57 AM
  #35
Glove Malfunction
Ference is my binky
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Far NortheasternMass
Country: United States
Posts: 8,560
vCash: 500
This keeps up much longer and I think I'd rather them just tank the season and get a higher draft pick. I'm not sure I see this squad doing well enough down the stretch to make the playoffs. The one thing I DON'T want is to pick 14th AGAIN.

Glove Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 08:57 AM
  #36
Spanky185
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Between BOS and NYC
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I'm going to refer to this as the C3PO thread.

By the end of the season, 3PO, played by Jack Edwards will explain to Han Solo (Clode) that the Bruins' playoff odds are 720:1.

"Never tell me the odds!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jel6...youtu.be&t=120

(don't know why I couldn't get it to embed correctly)

Spanky185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 09:10 AM
  #37
Over the volcano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Watertown
Posts: 22,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
No, I think the writing is on the wall.

Toronto has 6 games in hand and are 3 points behind
Ottawa has 6 game in hand and are 3 points behind
Florida has 2 games in hand and are 3 points behind
Tampa has 2 games in hand and are 5 points behind ( finally getting healthy)
The writing says that they need to be a better team than they have been. That's on everyone.

Over the volcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 09:35 AM
  #38
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: With the smurfs
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
No, I think the writing is on the wall.

Toronto has 6 games in hand and are 3 points behind
Ottawa has 6 game in hand and are 3 points behind
Florida has 2 games in hand and are 3 points behind
Tampa has 2 games in hand and are 5 points behind ( finally getting healthy)
Factoring games played, Bruins are in 10-11th place in the conference right now, slighttly ahead of TB and Flo and all others (NJ, Buf, Det, NYI) could catch them if they win out their games in hands. Not that far from 16th...

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 09:43 AM
  #39
Number8
Jacobs Must Go
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
No, I think the writing is on the wall.

Toronto has 6 games in hand and are 3 points behind
Ottawa has 6 game in hand and are 3 points behind
Florida has 2 games in hand and are 3 points behind
Tampa has 2 games in hand and are 5 points behind ( finally getting healthy)
It's ugly.

Currently
2nd in Division - IN
6th in Conference
11th in League
WildCard -- doesn't apply, we are in.

However, if those teams (many) that have games in hand go:

.250 Winning %
4th in Division - OUT
9th in Conference
15th in League
WildCard -- OUT

.500 Winning %
4th in Division - OUT
10th in Conference
18th in League
WildCard -- OUT

.750 Winning %
4th in Division -- OUT
11th in Conference
19th in League
WildCard -- OUT

Obviously I didn't do tiebreakers and listed worst possible slot in case of ties. The real point it that unless Boston goes on a significant run, playoffs are a diminishing possibility.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 09:51 AM
  #40
TP
Global Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 7th Circle of Hell
Country: United States
Posts: 29,660
vCash: 500
Awards:

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 10:31 AM
  #41
talkinaway
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,432
vCash: 50
Statistically, giving "games in hand" a record of 0.55, or about 1.1 point per game in hand, is the right thing to do. Doesn't matter if the next games in hand for the teams are the Hawks or the Canucks - with a little under half the season to go, the schedule is probably still homogenized enough that there's not a real difference in strength of schedule. The 1.1 PPG comes from assuming average teams get about 10 loser points over 80 games...but really, since games in hand typically don't go over 6 with bye weeks, the 0.1 is irrelevant.

That said, we're definitely screwed in the standings right now. We weren't even in great shape before yesterday, which is probably why they started Rask instead of McIntyre. But that leaves a huge problem going forward: Rask has started the last 4 games now. We're nervous enough about the standings that I can see Julien being reluctant to pull the trigger on McIntyre in Detroit tomorrow, so Rask might start against Detroit. CHI and PIT are no-go for backups unless you want to schedule a loss. If McIntyre doesn't start tomorrow, that's 7 starts in a row for Rask in a schedule where you're playing every other day.

Granted, that 7-in-a-row counts the 10+ minutes he played in Nashville, but it would still be a brutal schedule. I wanted McIntyre in yesterday, and from a standings standpoint, I still think I was right.

talkinaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 10:45 AM
  #42
northeastern
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 6,746
vCash: 500
They are capable of making it, we've all seen them shut down and dominate other teams. But we've also seen them not show up a few times. If they decide to play at a high level consistently they have a very good chance.

This is on the coaches and players, management would try to help and plan for injuries but the roster as it sits is capable in my opinion.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 10:58 AM
  #43
Bmessy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 2,053
vCash: 500
The B's haven't won more than 3 games in a row this year. Their best run was 7-2 in November. They will need a big win streak to help their playoff chances.

Bmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 11:02 AM
  #44
beaverjc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,951
vCash: 500
This team pisses me off more than words can express. They have no identity and no heart (sounds familiar). I am so tired of players and coaches saying "We didnt give enough effort", etc. I am tired of playing $95 a seat for lackluster effort and crappy play. Hey you put in 50% effort that game - I should pay 50% of my ticket price. Just getting sick of it. Team is treading water again for the third year in a row. Welcome to mediocrity.

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 11:42 AM
  #45
Bruinfanatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Country: Canada
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Can't see the Bruins making playoffs,with Leafs and Ottawa both having 6 games in hand,Wings have 3 games in hand If they loose to them tommorow ,the Wings will be in the race also.I also still think Tampa will get back into the thick of it also.Rask is also starting to look pretty normal again .

Bruinfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 12:07 PM
  #46
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,000
vCash: 500
These numbers mean squat to me because anyone who watches this team knows that even if they got into the playoffs by the grace of fluke luck they would be one and done.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 12:17 PM
  #47
whatsbruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
The bye week takes some of the sting away from the Disney Death March but then after playing Poutinville on February 12th they resume a week later in California.

One thing seems certain that come deadline day they know what the situation is.

Cam on 98.5 today was answering questions with answers like 'I don't know and I can't explain it'.

I am haunted by a question a respected member of the Bruins media asked me a couple of weeks ago. He asked 'Who do you think will host a playoff game first, Vegas or the Bruins?'

I don't have a clue how to answer that.
here is what i think will happen.

I don't think they make the playoffs this year. the sad part is that they will be close like last year, and rather than sell and speed up the turn around they will be minor buyers like last year.

Next year will see more youth, 3 or 4 more players, but also a drop of skill from some vets : Chara and Krecji would be two. Same type of year next year as this year, perhaps worse. This barring major moves from ds.

Then in 2018 to 2019 the uptick starts, but they will still need to add ufa's to fill out the top 6.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 12:27 PM
  #48
whatsbruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
hard to imagine 97 points will be the threshold this year... with 4 powerhouse teams in the conference theres going to be a lot of loses...

montreal now seems safe even with price showing hes human... but after these 5 teams you can make a case everyone else is a potential 500 team

I mean philly did have a 10 game win streak... and Toronto is now 8-1-1... so these 2 franchises have strung together one single stretch of decent hockey... but other than that both teams are extremely flawed and just 500 hockey

Carolina has probably played as good as us... they were hurt by that 6 game start to the season... but honestly does their lineup scare anyone? ill tentatively give them the second wildcard spot

but that still leaves 2 teams necessary to knock us out of the playoffs... 2 teams that have to get to 97 points if 97 points is going to be the knockout point

if you happen to like tampa... they would require even a better record than us to get to 97 points... don't see that happening

Toronto? no back up goalie... Anderson has never shown he can play more than 50 games without becoming inconsistent. wouldn't surprise me with the Toronto crammed second half if we don't see some massive burnout here.

Ottawa? I mean even if you think Ottawa can keep it together... that's only 1 team

I cant begin to imagine we are going to have 3 teams at 97 points coming out of our division.

I see Ottawa already coming back to earth... Toronto soon to join them... tampa possibly catching fire... but we are ahead of tampa

its not the ringing endorsement to say we are a super power... its just everyone else is in worst shape than we are

Ottawa has their self imposed budget... we cant see them making much of an improvement in the trade market.

Toronto is still rebuilding... they wont be trading prospects for improvements

we got a surplus of prospects that have no room to play for us... we have cap room... it seems obvious we will be trying to improve

since we are 500 with these over achieving teams to begin with... once we make improvements its hard to imagine we wont have the edge

and remember Toronto has had NO injuries yet... all their key players are having career best seasons... it can be argued that Bergeron, krecji, backes are all well below expectations for us and krug had half a season where he was invisible

someone might argue rask has played well... and id tell them hes pretty close to his career norm outside of his last season where he was way below career norm

it sucks maybe for some to admit it... but rask is only playing the way we expect him to play every year... yes he is that damn good

outside of pastrnak and carlo for the first 20 games... I'm not sure we have had anyone playing above expectations for us. I don't see any reason to expect a fall off in the play of anyone the second half outside of possibly pastrnak and carlo

we aren't great... we aren't the favorite to take the cup... we might not even be favorite to win a series... so I don't feel I'm an apologist for this team, but it will shock me if we aren't in the playoffs...

might only have 88-89 points... but that's all its going to take
You give these reasons why others teams aren't likely to make the playoff: too young, goaltender won't hold up, win streak won't last, etc but opposing fans are dissing the B's because : no back up has won a game (ok 1), current losses to the bottom of the nhl (isles 2 times, colorado), and they can't score.

I don't know what the strength of the b's remaining schedule is, but if it includes top teams and bottom teams I don't like there chances. Seems they can only beat the middle of the pack teams.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 12:30 PM
  #49
SPLBRUIN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,105
vCash: 500
After yesterday's game and the past 2 years late season collapses I have little faith that this team makes the playoffs. Considering that we have the same coach, core players and home ice woes, it doesn't look good, I can always hope though.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 12:56 PM
  #50
Strafer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: da Hub
Country: United States
Posts: 7,022
vCash: 500
It comes down to this: IF they aren't going to fire Julien (which I think would be a mistake) they need to trade an untouchable to send shock waves thru the team.
That untouchable would be Krejci. He's inconsistent, disinterested much of the time and he smells of being an entitled and way too comfortable IMO.
If they don't do it NOW they NEED to do it ASAP right as soon as the season ends. I would attempt to do it now. Someone previously said that if he doesn't want to give a list of teams to go to, put him on the third line (or with third line players). Sit him out and make him uncomfortable. If they don't do it now then they will continue on in this state of play. Shake up the core, get what you can for DK and make a stand!

Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.