Notices

2017 Bruins Playoffs Odds - Currently 75.2% chance of qualifying

Old
01-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Oates2Neely

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathews28 View Post
Sell what, for what? I keep hearin this, and while I agree they're going nowhere, I've struggled to identify who should go.
One of KMiller/ McQuaid: a team with playoff aspirations will be looking to add serviceable dmen. Could net a 2nd/ 3rd.

Colin Miller: Obvious Clode not a fan of his. And with Carlo & McAvoy looking like the future on the right side, I see a defensive McQuaid or KMiller taking the 3rd line RD spot. Miller could net a 2nd.

Beleskey: I like his game but that 3.8 could be used elsewhere. I wasn't a fan of that signing. Debrusk should be able to take his spot soon.

Liles: move for a 3rd or 4th

Morrow: move for a 3rd or 4th

Hayes: Unfortunately not movable unless packaged with a pick.

Spooner: the team is obviously not enammored with this kid. He oozes natural talent but can't play the 200' responsible game. He could perhaps net a 2nd, possibly a late 1st. He could add some firepower to an offense looking for additional scoring. Certainly an asset on the PP.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Bruinfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seidenbergy View Post
Actually, yes it is.

33 games remaining = 66 potential points. They currently have 52, meaning there are a potential 118 pts for them if they win out. Will they? No. But, mathematically speaking, they have not been eliminated yet so they technically still control their own destiny. It doesn't matter what those other teams do with those games in hand.

Now, realistically speaking, they're not going to make it. But mathematically is a different story.
If Ottawa is two points up with 6 games in hand not sure how Bruins control there own destiny.Only way Bruins get in is if Toronto and Ottawa both fall apart,and Bruns go on a tear,and they haven't really showed us that there capable of doing that.

Bruinfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 11:46 AM
bolt thrower
drunken sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathews28 View Post
Sell what, for what? I keep hearin this, and while I agree they're going nowhere, I've struggled to identify who should go.
Well, I can give you plenty of names I would offer: McQuaid, K. Miller, Liles, Spooner, Moore, Beleskey, Nash, Schaller, Czarnik, Hayes and Morrow. I even would consider trading Chara if the price was right, although I still would like him to mentor our young guys like Carlo and McAvoy next year.

bolt thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 04:14 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 3158416
The Bruins are still very much alive for a wild card spot which means 2 home playoff games at home.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 05:57 AM
caz16

vCash: 96
The Bruins are still in the race and Toronto is still a mess. They can't keep leads once again. While the B's have issues, so do other teams in the mix.

caz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 06:08 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
The Bruins are still very much alive for a wild card spot which means 2 home playoff games at home.

What kind of revenue does the club take in from a 2 game "one and done" first round loss?

01-22-2017, 06:26 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 3158416
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
What kind of revenue does the club take in from a 2 game "one and done" first round loss?
Even as a Wild Card it is best of 7.

That would mean 2 home games minimum at at least $2 million a game in tickets - PLUS concessions.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 11:22 AM
talkinaway

vCash: 50
Quote:
The secondary market is heavily dependent on who the opponent is. I don't think the NHL has the same level of control over prices for playoff games as the MLB does, but I could be wrong.

According to the sports club stats site, Ottawa (10.5%) is our most likely first round matchup, followed by Toronto (8.8%) and Washington (5.8%). The killer matchup of those would be Toronto vs Boston. The Leafs made the playoffs once since the lockout. No, not the mini-lockout - the BIG one. And we all know how the Leafs got knocked out the last time they did make the playoffs.

[email protected] games probably attract a lot of Canadians crossing the border - they're hockey hungry, and they're used to being gouged at the box office in Toronto. Not so much gouging for Ottawa AFAIK. Washington might attract Ovi watchers, but despite what NBCSN might tell you, it's not really a rivalry. The best matchup would, of course, be the Habs, but that's only 2.8% likely to happen.

As far as revenue...if you take into account that they have 41 home games per season, plus 3 preseason games that might be combined be worth 1 game total, adding 2 extra playoff games bumps your box office from 42 games to at least 44.5 or 45 games if two home playoff games happen. That's about an extra 7% of revenue for the entire year that they wouldn't get if they don't make the playoffs. And if they make the second round, that's (at least) two more games that get progressively more valuable. If you estimate playoff games as being worth 1.5x, 2x, 3x, and 4x of a regular season game in rounds 1, 2, 3, and 4, then at MINIMUM you get an extra 20 "regular season" games from getting to the SCF, or a bonus of about 50% of your guaranteed yearly revenue. Granted, it's not 20 games of popcorn and beer, but people paying $250 for a balcony seat to a SCF game might not balk at paying $11 for a Bud Light, and you only have to pay to staff/heat/light the arena for 8 games.

And the other thing is the Bruins get your money early. I think in March they make STHs decide if they want to buy a 16 game strip. They get full use of that money from March to whenever they refund unplayed games. Multiply a $2000 balcony STH playoff strip by however many strips they sell in advance, and they can use that money to get interest for 2-3 months.

talkinaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Kate08

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkinaway View Post
The secondary market is heavily dependent on who the opponent is. I don't think the NHL has the same level of control over prices for playoff games as the MLB does, but I could be wrong.

According to the sports club stats site, Ottawa (10.5%) is our most likely first round matchup, followed by Toronto (8.8%) and Washington (5.8%). The killer matchup of those would be Toronto vs Boston. The Leafs made the playoffs once since the lockout. No, not the mini-lockout - the BIG one. And we all know how the Leafs got knocked out the last time they did make the playoffs.

[email protected] games probably attract a lot of Canadians crossing the border - they're hockey hungry, and they're used to being gouged at the box office in Toronto. Not so much gouging for Ottawa AFAIK. Washington might attract Ovi watchers, but despite what NBCSN might tell you, it's not really a rivalry. The best matchup would, of course, be the Habs, but that's only 2.8% likely to happen.

As far as revenue...if you take into account that they have 41 home games per season, plus 3 preseason games that might be combined be worth 1 game total, adding 2 extra playoff games bumps your box office from 42 games to at least 44.5 or 45 games if two home playoff games happen. That's about an extra 7% of revenue for the entire year that they wouldn't get if they don't make the playoffs. And if they make the second round, that's (at least) two more games that get progressively more valuable. If you estimate playoff games as being worth 1.5x, 2x, 3x, and 4x of a regular season game in rounds 1, 2, 3, and 4, then at MINIMUM you get an extra 20 "regular season" games from getting to the SCF, or a bonus of about 50% of your guaranteed yearly revenue. Granted, it's not 20 games of popcorn and beer, but people paying $250 for a balcony seat to a SCF game might not balk at paying $11 for a Bud Light, and you only have to pay to staff/heat/light the arena for 8 games.

And the other thing is the Bruins get your money early. I think in March they make STHs decide if they want to buy a 16 game strip. They get full use of that money from March to whenever they refund unplayed games. Multiply a $2000 balcony STH playoff strip by however many strips they sell in advance, and they can use that money to get interest for 2-3 months.
Most playoff strips are pay as you play, so you're paying per round. If the team is the lower seed in round 1, you're charged for 2 games and refunded any unused ticket costs.

Last edited by Kate08: 01-22-2017 at 08:10 PM.
Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Hamilton Brian

So we have to be nearing 30% after this afternoon. Less than that? 25%

Hamilton Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 07:55 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Why are the Bruins the only team in the League that have played 50 games, while there are teams that have only played 44 games?

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 08:02 PM
Bruinfanatic

I think they would have to win a game to get in .Unless other teams loose every game also.��

Bruinfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 08:09 PM
Kate08

well that was weird my phone just posted something

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 08:17 PM
DarrenBanks56

i still think tampa and boston are both getting in.
plenty of games left.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 08:20 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 View Post
i still think tampa and boston are both getting in.
plenty of games left.
If there's any EC team less likely to make the Playoffs than the Bruins, it's Tampa.

Old
01-22-2017, 08:27 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
The Atlantic Division is an abomination.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Hali33

Swear to god it's harder to get out of a playoff spot than get in with the Atlantic Divison. How bad do you have to be? We are trying so hard here.

Hali33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 09:11 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali33 View Post
Swear to god it's harder to get out of a playoff spot than get in with the Atlantic Divison. How bad do you have to be? We are trying so hard here.
All those games in hand that virtually every other team has will eventually fix that.

Old
01-22-2017, 09:13 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
The Atlantic Division is an abomination.
Which is why this is even more embarrassing frankly. And that's 2 years in a row we can't cut it in the worst division in hockey.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 09:15 PM
JAD

Well with all those games in hand and lot of teams should be pretty tired come the playoffs.
The Bruins should be better rested ... perhaps too well rested.

JAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 09:26 PM
CharasLazyWrister
GrumpyMilton

If anyone thinks this team is going to make the playoffs, please choose an amount of money you want to bet and PM me.

CharasLazyWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 09:37 PM
BruinsFanMike82

Now 26.4%.

BruinsFanMike82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 09:57 PM
BB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFanMike82 View Post
Now 26.4%.
Good, keep going down. I want the management to open their eyes and do something.

If they crawl into playoffs or close while looking abysmal they'll find a way to do absolutely nothing.

BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 10:00 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Last edited by Fenway: 01-23-2017 at 02:06 AM. Reason: fixed code
RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 07:35 AM
remer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
Good, keep going down. I want the management to open their eyes and do something.

If they crawl into playoffs or close while looking abysmal they'll find a way to do absolutely nothing.
12 games left until the NHL trade deadline. Only a few games with teams that have less points than the Bruins. Can't see this team getting more than 5 points in that stretch. 57 points which should put them about 20th in the league. Simple decision for Donny and that is sell at the deadline.

remer is offline   Reply With Quote