Notices

John Lammers

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
John Lammers

This guy is like 13th in the whl in scoring and seems to be the only offensive winger in the system other than Polak. Why is this guy never talked about? Is he just too soft to have achance

Old
01-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Dr GLU

Because he's doing it in his final junior season.

Bararuk had the same kind of performance at the end of his junior career and hasn't made any impact as a pro outside of the ECHL.

Old
02-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Kevin Wey

I would say that Loui Eriksson has offensive potential. In fact, it's not just potential, he's been one of the I-Stars most dangerous offensive threats this past month. His confidence is up, he's getting used to the game in North America. Loui has real second line potential. (And he doesn't ignore defense either.)

David Bararuk: Thoroughly outplayed by Jamie Johnson and Krys Barch. Johnson has improved so much as this season has gone on. I think Dallas might consider signing him to a two-way. Krys Barch is the reason why Crombeen and Vas just got assigned to Idaho.

Old
02-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Starsdude

I take it GLU that you think Lammers has no chance?

Old
02-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Dr GLU

I think he's got to prove he can do it in the pros first.

Offensive potential in junior is not the same as pro offensive potential.

Old
02-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Starsdude

Curious your thoughts GLU on drafting philosophy since I consider you one of the best posters around. If you discount scorers against JR comp, how can we get more scorers in the system unless they are all Euros. I think you and I agree we have enough or even too many guys like Clune, Sawada Hagos in retrospect probably taken too high. Even Neal is now being taked about in the same way. Unless we start to take chances on guys like Schremp, Hudler, O'Sully,Somalenak Hensick guys clearly that have great offensive talent, I guess we will be forced to fill the top lines in FA . Just a bit frustrated about drafting guys in early rounds whose upside is lower line guys worth a 4/5 rounder at the deadline. There philosophy of seemingly being smarter than everyone and reaching for these guys is like the cowboys of the late 90's.

Old
02-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Dr GLU

You don't discount junior scoring altogether. You just can't take junior scoring in their final season as a barometer of their pro potential. When you're 20, you're just more developed than the younger competition, and you're expected to have a good season (unless you're a pure role player like Wathier).

Now when guys are staying near the scoring lead in their draft seasons or before (or immediately after depending on their age at draft time), then you have to consider them as possible offensive prospects in my book until they show otherwise (see Steve Ott).

I don't know why the Stars continue to draft two-way guys who *may* develop offensively early. Eriksson's and Morrow's progress seem to be the exception rather than the rule with these picks. Now, more than ever, with a lot of the Stars top players on the backside of their careers, they need to take a gamble on a high-risk, high-reward guy. I still don't see a true first line player in the system, no disrespect to Eriksson, Jokinen, or Polak. The defense has been addressed for the most part. Goaltending is in good shape if you consider that they won't be in a position to need a new starter for a while after the Turco extension.

I don't think Hagos was not taken too high, BTW. He's a very solid third round pick. Agree on Sawada and Crombeen, but the jury's still out on Clune. Neal, I think will develop more offense once he's physically mature. At this point, he doesn't seem to have the stamina or muscle to hold up over the course of a season (not surprising at 6-3, 190).

Old
02-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Starsdude

Thanks I think we generally agree. Trying to keep Crombeen out of my mind, I guess since that is three years in arow passing up offensive prospects for grinders. I also agree that Hagos is acut above but he may still only be AHL fodder. Is there reason for optimism on Clune? Defense should be basically ignored this year. I am cool to taking a goalie or 2 otherwise offense and talent. The schremp thing was ridiculous. Hell could have had Zagic or Wolski in order to take a defensive d-man despite the fact there were aton left(Rogers, Schultz, Green)and then you take another one Grossman one round later. I agree that there is no top line talent and that is sad.

Old
02-01-2006, 05:35 PM
brewstarz03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
Defense should be basically ignored this year. I am cool to taking a goalie or 2 otherwise offense and talent. The schremp thing was ridiculous. Hell could have had Zagic or Wolski in order to take a defensive d-man despite the fact there were aton left(Rogers, Schultz, Green)and then you take another one Grossman one round later. I agree that there is no top line talent and that is sad.
Amen.

Dallas has got to concentrate on some offense. I know we can't expect much with a late first rounder, but come on, take a chance on some offense. Especially since we gave up our 2nd rounder.

Closed Thread