HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sillinger for Shishkanov

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

vCash: 500
Sillinger for Shishkanov

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=152917&hubname=nhl

Last edited by Joe T Choker: 01-29-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old
01-29-2006, 10:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I don't give a rat's *** about losing Shish, I think most of us expected him to be dealt...and was not likely to ever crack our lineup...but...

...I hope this isn't the "key player" Leipold talked about going after. Sillinger is having a good year, but he's still realistically a third liner on a playoff team, and we have third line centers in spades.

Old
01-29-2006, 10:30 PM
NBHABSFAN

Confirmed per TSN.ca

Old
01-29-2006, 10:43 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i feel like\hope there's a bigger trade on the way...

Old
01-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Sillinger isn't great, but thank GOD we got something out of Shishkanov. This is likely a rental, and I am okay with that.....IF we continue to pursue an upgrade to this team.

Here is what I posted in the other thread:

Well, as a Preds fan, I'm glad we dealt Shishkanov for something. The bottomline is, he was never going to crack the Predators lineup...Radulov had a better camp, Upshall is on the fast track, and Trotz favored Simon Gamache with the big club over Timofei. To be brutally honest, Trotz was not pleased with the 2 game call up in 03-04. That said, I've watched the kid and he has some amazing skills with a very very nice NHL frame. He is big, not really physical, but he doesn't play small. His hands are extremely soft, and he probably could become a 25-30 guy in the NHL if he truly desired it. The problem with Shishkanov is - he doesn't try. He hasn't for awhile now, but when he does....he can take over at times.

Bottomline: The Blues took a very good gamble on this trade. Shishkanov could be gold or a bust. You cannot fault them for this trade. However, it is good to see Poile finally do something about the Preds terrible center play over the past 2 months. Sillinger should slide in nicely on the third line when Leggy comes back, and until then.....we should be much more competitive than we have been even strength. Good bye Vernon Fiddler to top line playing time

01-29-2006, 11:04 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
could we in turn end up dealing sillinger for someone better?

Is this a safety trade in case we can't get someone better before the deadline?

Who do we now send down and risk losing them on waivers?

Surely there's more up Poile's sleeve. This is neither a good nor bad trade. shish had to future with us so at least got something for him.

Old
01-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
could we in turn end up dealing sillinger for someone better?

Is this a safety trade in case we can't get someone better before the deadline?

Who do we now send down and risk losing them on waivers?

Surely there's more up Poile's sleeve. This is neither a good nor bad trade. shish had to future with us so at least got something for him.
Analysis of our roster:

C: Legwand, Sillinger, Perrault, Fiddler, Smithson, Nichol, Johnson (7)
LW: Kariya, Sullivan, Hartnell, Hordichuk, Stevenson (5)
RW: Erat, Walker, Hall (3)

Obviously Nichol, Smithson, and Stevenson can all play right wing and have the last 4-5 games. This gives us 15 forwards when Legwand comes back, 14 without him. Upshall and Tootoo have both shown they are NHL ready and are biting at the chomp HARD to stay up...

Defense: Timonen, Hamhuis, Markov, Eaton, Suter, Zidlicky, Allison (7)

Weber and Klein are both NHL ready IMO. If we were to move a defensemen, I think Eaton is most likely. A lot of people think Zidlicky could be on the way out as he probably holds the most value and could be replaced by Klein or Weber. However, I think trading him would be quite a bit painful....Lets not forget that he is one of the few right-handed shots on the team..and his prescense changes our powerplay to extremely deadly. Not many teams have a right-handed and left-handed shot at the point of their powerplay from exceptional offensive defensemen. We do...its a luxury that Preds fans would sorely miss. Still, Klein is a righthanded shot and could probably fill that role as needed, but I'm guessing management would give Weber the nod before Klein because of his sorely needed phsyical play.

Goal: Vokoun and Mason (2)

With Legwand we are at 24, meaning somone has to go down or be traded. I think we will definitely see another trade OR Fiddler sent down in the next two weeks with Legwand's return.

Old
01-29-2006, 11:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

At the end of the day we're better down the middle now with Sillinger. It gives us two centers that can score, stronger two-way play and better face-offs. He's better in every way over Fiddler.

Shishkanov wasn't making this team.

Old
01-29-2006, 11:40 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I have to step in and highly disagree here. As an unbiased party, I think Sillinger is not only a top notch guy, but a great fit to a playoff-bound Preds team.

Grit, heart, toughness are some the many intangibles he carries, and I know we were after him on the Sabres board for a long time now.

I'm pretty upset to see him somewhere other than Buffalo, and I think you'll be pretty satisfied by season's end.

Old
01-29-2006, 11:51 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Before today Yanick Perreault was our best center. Sillinger is better than him, so we've upgraded, an upgrade we desperately needed.

Look at it this way. He's a more physical, fastere skating, harder working, better defensively version of perreault. It's not a bad thing at all. We also didn't have to sacrifice much to get him. There will be some really good UFA centers this year. Use Sillinger as a stop gap this year, pick up a top center in the off season and make a serious push next year.

Old
01-29-2006, 11:51 PM
crazydave

Don't forget he is doing quite well on the BLUES so it will be interesting to see what he can do with a much more well-rounded team

Old
01-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

An outstanding addition for the Preds...long overdue in my opinion. The Preds are now serious Cup contenders, if they weren't already before.

Old
01-30-2006, 12:01 AM
klaudius

Damn, you guys are almost set...

However, a playoff proven defenceman (albeit hard to get) is still needed...

Nevertheless...looking good...

k

Old
01-30-2006, 12:09 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
In the Playoffs puck posession is key; the Preds now have probably two of the best in the league with Sillinger and Perrault.

Old
01-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Stars-Preds

I really like this trade. No we didn't get a Richards or a Jokinen but Sillinger seems like a guy who will fit in with our club. He's having a great season, very good faceoff guy and has playoff experience. Plus we didn't give up any draft picks or any of our big trade pieces.

Old
01-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Osprey

This is an awesome acquisition. He was coveted all over the league and I'm so stoked that the Preds landed him. Sillinger won't necessarily amaze with anything (except, perhaps, faceoffs), but he's very solid in all aspects, can play in any situation and is exactly the kind of player that a playoff team needs. To get him this early instead of at the deadline will also help the team. I'm very happy.

Old
01-30-2006, 05:09 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

after sleeping on it, for some reason i like this move a lot more. we gave up almost nothing to get him, and he IS an upgrade to fiddler\smithson in that he can actually score goals.

Old
01-30-2006, 07:30 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
after sleeping on it, for some reason i like this move a lot more. we gave up almost nothing to get him, and he IS an upgrade to fiddler\smithson in that he can actually score goals.
funny you'd say that...I'm feeling the same way now. This isn't a bad trade at all. We converted an AHL player to an upgrade over fiddler/perreault.

Old
01-30-2006, 07:48 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
It is almost like we got him for nothing. I loved Shish at first but he does seemed to have stalled and Radulov's a much better prospect. Sillinger's having a career year, put him with PK for a while and see what happens. I've been watching Kariya closely of late and he just needs someone to carry the puck into the zone and get it back to him in scoring position. He'll finish, there's no doubt!

Old
01-30-2006, 08:00 AM
vopatsrash

i'm really looking forwad to seeing what the domino effect of this move ends up being...

Sillinger as center
-on one hand, I think this could be our center move. It's possible, in their minds, they got their top level center whether we think he is or not. His goal total would be second on the team, he did it for a last place team, he can play defense, he can win faceoffs, and he cost us pretty much nothing considering there is no way Shish was going to make a Trotz-coached team.

-if this is the case, I think this means one of Legwand or Johnson is gone after the olympics. Either Legwand is packaged with Zidlicky/Eaton for a big defenseman if they feel they can't trade the captain or Johnson is dumped for a 6th round pick if they feel that he can't cut it on the ice and want Sillinger-Legwand-Perreault.

-If there is another center move on the Jokinen/Richards (just an example) level, two of Johnson, Perreault, or Legwand could be gone and the Sillinger trade may have been made as an upgrade over Perreault after his future trade. I think they won't trade perreault b/c he has too much production for his cost to give up, but this scenario isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Sillinger as wing
-this could be a trade to eventually use Silinger on the wing, giving them more depth in case of injury in which they can move him to center. If this is the case, it might mean they package Erat for a center upgrade.

Ramifications of Sillinger at center/a trade for another center/the return of Legwand
-Who would make the best 4th line center between Johnson, Nichol, Smithson, and Fiddler? I predict they go with Nichol and keep Smithson as the healthy scratch since he's big and can also play wing, try to send Fiddler down, and either trade Johnson or use Johnson on the 3rd line if they trade Legwand.

-I think they'll try to send Fiddler down. As we saw with Gamache, if someone picks up Vern, we'll likely have another shot at him because I just don't see him sticking long term on another roster. After the season, he'll be easily attainable for a low draft pick or an AHLer.

Old
01-30-2006, 10:22 AM
jstreet
#VersteegDown

vCash: 50
[QUOTE=vopatsrash]Ramifications of Sillinger at center/a trade for another center/the return of Legwand
-Who would make the best 4th line center between Johnson, Nichol, Smithson, and Fiddler? I predict they go with Nichol and keep Smithson as the healthy scratch since he's big and can also play wing, try to send Fiddler down, and either trade Johnson or use Johnson on the 3rd line if they trade Legwand.QUOTE]

I think we must reunite the Hordi-Smithson-Toots 4th line. Since this line has been busted up, our 4th has shown us absolutely nothing except the uncanny ability to skate the puck up and down the wall behind the goal.

Old
01-30-2006, 10:29 AM
crossxcheck

personally, I'm tired of fiddler. send him down already. but keep smithson. he is a role player and is perfect for the 4th line.

Old
01-30-2006, 10:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
personally, I'm tired of fiddler. send him down already. but keep smithson. he is a role player and is perfect for the 4th line.
I agree.

Old
01-30-2006, 11:06 AM
braindead

Fiddler is done IMO. Smithson has been much better. Could we package Fiddler and Stevenson and get any draft pick(s)? It's time to reunite Tootoo and Hordy, although I would be happy with Nichols centering them and Smithson rotating in.

I still think we have a bit of a mess on our hands at center when Legwand returns. We now have three #2 centers (Leggy, YP, and Sillinger) and only Legwand is defensively responsible enough to slide down to #3-- which in turn is occupied by our captain and 6th best center. What do you do with him? You can't slide him to 4th b/c Nichols and Smithson are both better in that role.

I keep coming back to Capt'n Greg being the problem and suggest:

* Have Denny Lambert fly in and crack him in the knee ala the Tonya Harding affair.

* Offer him coaching position/ jersey retirement/ the works in exchange for retiring during the Olympics.

* Trade him.

If any of those happen, I would rotate Legwand and Sillinger as 1st and 3rd line centers until we figured out which combination seems to give us the best goal differential (GF vs. GA) for the two lines. I would guess Leggy on the 3rd even though I like his game much better than Sillinger's game, much the same way I wouldn't put Legwand on the 2nd line and move YP down to the 3rd line even though Legwand is the superior player.

I have no clue what to do if Capt. Greg is anchoring the 3rd line and everyone is healthy-- perhaps move Sillinger to wing?

Old
01-30-2006, 12:11 PM
handtrick

Poile views things longer term than many posters around here and most poster on the other board.....the short term prism of this year's Stanley Cup run is not Poile's prism....

I think a lot of what happens depends on Legwand's true status.....but my gut tells me that Sillinger IS our center acquisition for this year.....a safe single at relatively low cost of Shishkanov. I think the asking price of the Jokonens and Richards of this world were just too steep as far as mortgaging our future [Suter, Weber, Radulov, Parent] for Poile's taste. I think he sees that the next two years are OUR years and not THIS year. I think he sees us as a 2nd or at most 3rd round playoff team...not a Cup finalist.

I don't think he is done yet, but I think it will be acquiring on grit and size on the defensive side as a rental [Witt would be the logical one here] for a relatively cheap price such as Fiddler and a 2nd or 3rd round pick......who knows, but that is just my guess at reading the tea leaves.

Closed Thread