HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2018

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2017, 08:09 AM
  #1
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
Russia U20 National Team - WJC-2018

I guess we can start a new thread already, since the 1998 born generation has been considered as a special one.

According to fhr.ru, next event will be the 4 Nations tournament in Czech Republic starting on the 1-st of April. Not like all the best would be gathered there, as it is play-off time in all the leagues, but last year guys like Kaprizov and Vorobyov were already there, iirc.

On 25-th of May the Black Sea Cup is scheduled to start in Sochi and usually everyone is gathered there, except for the NHL draft combine invitees.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 06:54 PM
  #2
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
Had some time to think about the depth chart, written it down like it would be somekind of roster lines, but it's mostly for visualization purposes.

GK
Sukhachyov
Berdin
Tarasov
Zhukov
Korepanov
Kalyayev

D (assuming Sergachyov is not available)
Dronov-Makeyev
Y.Zaitsev-Minulin
Alexeyev-Karpukhin
Kurashov-D.Zaitsev

FW
Kayumov-Rubtsov-Kostin
Ivanov-Maltsev-Abramov
Veryayev-Shvyryov-Sokolov
Popugaev-Rasseikin-Popugaev
Kosorenkov-Sholokhov-Altybarmakyan
Chekhovich-Lipanov-Svechnikov

So yeah, so far it looks like as usual: we are fine at GK, weak at D and having a lot of FW depth, which will force Bragin to make a lot of unpopular decisions and that obviously will generate a lot of fuss here.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2017, 11:26 PM
  #3
Fantomas
Registered User
 
Fantomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,168
vCash: 500
Have you seen Kayumov this year?

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 06:43 AM
  #4
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Have you seen Kayumov this year?
Yes, but only in MHL - he didn't look good or bad there to me, he just played as good/bad as his line played (and mostly his line with Ivanov and Slepets didn't click, imo). He just debuted in VHL with two assists, so it might be that it is better with line chemistry there. Anyway, I have an impression of him being a good complimentary player and since he often played together with Rubtsov in the U18 NT, I've put him on his line here, as I had an impression that Bragin tries to reuse those kind of connections. Although back in the U18 days I actually liked Ivanov-Maltsev-Kayumov line even more.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 10:48 AM
  #5
MaxV
Registered User
 
MaxV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,050
vCash: 500
Why little Popugayev?

Might as well go with Manukyan, if you want a tiny, skilled wing.

My attempt:

Svechnikov-Rubtsov-Kostin
Popugayev-Shvyryov-Abramov
Lipanov-Maltsev-Sholokhov
Kayumov-Mizyurin-Sokolov/Kosorenkov

Dronov-Minulin
Y.Zaytsev-Karpukhin
D.Zaytsev-Lavrinenko
Radionichev-Samorukov

Sukhachyov
Berdin
Zhukov

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 12:16 PM
  #6
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Why little Popugayev?

Might as well go with Manukyan, if you want a tiny, skilled wing.

My attempt:

Svechnikov-Rubtsov-Kostin
Popugayev-Shvyryov-Abramov
Lipanov-Maltsev-Sholokhov
Kayumov-Mizyurin-Sokolov/Kosorenkov

Dronov-Minulin
Y.Zaytsev-Karpukhin
D.Zaytsev-Lavrinenko
Radionichev-Samorukov

Sukhachyov
Berdin
Zhukov
Just it would be twice less fun for me putting it all together without two Popugaevs on the same line.

About your line-up, I really have doubts about both Sholokhov and Lipanov at wings, not like they wouldn't have experience there, but I think they are significantly worse when playing out of their natural position.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 01:11 PM
  #7
Fantomas
Registered User
 
Fantomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,168
vCash: 500
Until Rubtsov learns faceoffs I'd keep him on wing and add Koltygin for the draws.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 03:08 PM
  #8
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Until Rubtsov learns faceoffs I'd keep him on wing and add Koltygin for the draws.
Rubtsov will likely play wing the rest of this year. I doubt the team starts giving Zhukenov 3rd line minutes just for Rubtsov's sake.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 03:50 PM
  #9
Fantomas
Registered User
 
Fantomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,168
vCash: 500
Assuming that Svechnikov and Khovanov are as special as they are supposed to me (and they might be), I don't see why they can't both be on the roster.

They'll be 17, but we all remember the Finns winning gold with a bunch of 17-year olds leading the way. If they are exceptional then they have to be there.

Dronov on the first pairing is giving me chest pains. Although a likely returning player there is no way he's that good.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 07:09 PM
  #10
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
Since face-offs were mentioned, some percentages from the current season:

Rubtsov: 31.8% in KHL, 47% in MHL
Maltsev: 59.1% in VHL, 63.3% in MHL
Rasseikin: 41.8% in KHL, 53.6% in MHL
Sholokhov: 44.6% in VHL
Ivanov: 58.6% in MHL
Shvyryov: 56.4% in MHL
Shevchenko: 56% in MHL
Koltygin: 53.5% in QMJHL
Lipanov: 47.5% in VHL
Bitsadze: 43.5% in VHL
Khovanov: 54.6% in MHL
Meshcheryakov: 56.4% in MHL

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 07:35 PM
  #11
MaxV
Registered User
 
MaxV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,050
vCash: 500
Ideally, Rubtsov is still a Center. He needs to improve on FO, but the defensive value he brings is highly valuable.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 07:53 PM
  #12
MaxV
Registered User
 
MaxV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Dronov on the first pairing is giving me chest pains. Although a likely returning player there is no way he's that good.
Hopefully someone else steps up. Venyamin Baranov looked pretty good in a recent tournament.

If 2016 group struggled with all of their talent, this one might get lit up.

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 07:29 AM
  #13
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
About Zhukov, he has been rated rather high in the current pre-draft rankings, so it is very likely that he will get an invite to the draft combine, which means that he will miss the Sochi tournament. Since he doesn't play in the CHL, not sure that he will be there at the Canada/Russia Series, so it might be that Bragin just won't have a proper chance to look at him.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2017, 03:39 PM
  #14
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,167
vCash: 500
Sukhachyov's season ended due to the injury he got at the WJC, so sounds like there will be plenty of opportunities for other goalies in the Sochi tournament. Btw, Berdin's KHL rights have been traded to CSKA recently, so it might be that there is a possibility of him returning to Russia, especially since new restrictions will be there in the USHL for import goalies starting from the next season.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2017, 06:15 PM
  #15
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,160
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
Sukhachyov's season ended due to the injury he got at the WJC, so sounds like there will be plenty of opportunities for other goalies in the Sochi tournament. Btw, Berdin's KHL rights have been traded to CSKA recently, so it might be that there is a possibility of him returning to Russia, especially since new restrictions will be there in the USHL for import goalies starting from the next season.
Interesting, CHL bans foreign goalies and then they all go to USHL lol. Go look at top 15 goalies in that league, I believe majority are imports. Berdin strengthening his play in USHL IMO will win the starting role at the U20s next year. Would rather him go to some other team than CSKA where Sorokin will likely play most of the season then there is Filonenko who looks to be prime candidate for the backup role. Filonenko not a bad overagsd draft prospect in his on regards btw.

malkinfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2017, 06:47 PM
  #16
MaxV
Registered User
 
MaxV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,050
vCash: 500
He is 21, so not draft eligible.

But Tretyak still is I believe...

MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2017, 07:58 PM
  #17
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Interesting, CHL bans foreign goalies and then they all go to USHL lol. Go look at top 15 goalies in that league, I believe majority are imports. Berdin strengthening his play in USHL IMO will win the starting role at the U20s next year. Would rather him go to some other team than CSKA where Sorokin will likely play most of the season then there is Filonenko who looks to be prime candidate for the backup role. Filonenko not a bad overagsd draft prospect in his on regards btw.
Denisov is also playing well in the Q for Shawinigan.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 03:56 PM
  #18
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,160
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Maltsev Rubtsov Kostin
Abramov Sokolov Kayumov
Kosorenkov Shvyryov Varyayev
Popugayev Rasseikin Svechnikov
Kravtsov Lipanov Kuznetsov
Alexeyev Altybarmakyan Manukyan


Rodionychev Dronov
Kurashov Zaitsev
Minulin Zaitsev
Karpukhin Yakovenko
Makeyev Samourokov


Sukhachyov
Melnichuk
Berdin
Denisov
Tarasov

Early training camp prediction, not necessarily in particular order especially goaltenders. Who else do you think will get a serious shot at the team. Maybe KKhovanov and Denisienko will get a look? Not sure, strong draft class next year but doubt Bragin would go with 3 17 year old forwards even if they are all high end, too much depth up front next year.

malkinfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 06:34 PM
  #19
Fantomas
Registered User
 
Fantomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,168
vCash: 500
We'll see but if these 17-year olds are as special as they're supposed to be then they should be there.

Svechnikov is definitely special. Khovanov, maybe. He is at least very good.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 06:35 PM
  #20
Fantomas
Registered User
 
Fantomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,168
vCash: 500
Again, let's not forget that the Finns won the WJC a year ago mostly on the shoulders of their 17-year old stars. If Svech and Khov are comparable to Laine and Puljujarvi then you ride them.

I'd rather see them getting icetime than Kayumov.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 07:39 PM
  #21
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
We'll see but if these 17-year olds are as special as they're supposed to be then they should be there.

Svechnikov is definitely special. Khovanov, maybe. He is at least very good.
But the coach is Bragin can't forget that, I think one 17 year old is enough for him, was there a situation where he had more? I remember seeing Provorov , Grigorenko and Kuznetsov in full face shields but atm I'm too lazy to look up if there were any others on the same team lol. Khovanov is really good but is he better than Kaprizov at the same age? Kaprizov wasn't taken as an underager while being in the KHL mostly full time at 17. May be a different circumstance but I'm not certain Khovanov will be a full time KHL player next year.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 08:35 PM
  #22
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT
 
Pavel Buchnevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 20,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Maltsev Rubtsov Kostin
Abramov Sokolov Kayumov
Kosorenkov Shvyryov Varyayev
Popugayev Rasseikin Svechnikov
Kravtsov Lipanov Kuznetsov
Alexeyev Altybarmakyan Manukyan


Rodionychev Dronov
Kurashov Zaitsev
Minulin Zaitsev
Karpukhin Yakovenko
Makeyev Samourokov


Sukhachyov
Melnichuk
Berdin
Denisov
Tarasov

Early training camp prediction, not necessarily in particular order especially goaltenders. Who else do you think will get a serious shot at the team. Maybe KKhovanov and Denisienko will get a look? Not sure, strong draft class next year but doubt Bragin would go with 3 17 year old forwards even if they are all high end, too much depth up front next year.
Sokolov is a winger. I think Lipanov has to be on the team. Kuznetsov doesn't belong in discussion for the team right now. I think Samorukov is better than he gets credit for. Khovanov should make this team.

Pavel Buchnevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2017, 09:49 PM
  #23
Fantomas
Registered User
 
Fantomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
But the coach is Bragin can't forget that, I think one 17 year old is enough for him, was there a situation where he had more? I remember seeing Provorov , Grigorenko and Kuznetsov in full face shields but atm I'm too lazy to look up if there were any others on the same team lol. Khovanov is really good but is he better than Kaprizov at the same age? Kaprizov wasn't taken as an underager while being in the KHL mostly full time at 17. May be a different circumstance but I'm not certain Khovanov will be a full time KHL player next year.
I wasn't really predicting Bragin's actions. I have no control over what he will do, and can only say what I think should be done.

As you say, he selected 17-year olds before. Buchnevich was almost selected at 17 too, if I remember correctly.

But I can't claim to know what the mentality is in the Russian coaching and scouting circles in which they deem certain players special enough to warrant consideration. Some KHL success is probably a key piece to the puzzle, but I hope there is more to it than that.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 05:40 AM
  #24
kp61c
On vam ne Dimon!
 
kp61c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,872
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Maltsev Rubtsov Kostin
Abramov Sokolov Kayumov
Kosorenkov Shvyryov Varyayev
Popugayev Rasseikin Svechnikov
Kravtsov Lipanov Kuznetsov
Alexeyev Altybarmakyan Manukyan


Rodionychev Dronov
Kurashov Zaitsev
Minulin Zaitsev
Karpukhin Yakovenko
Makeyev Samourokov


Sukhachyov
Melnichuk
Berdin
Denisov
Tarasov

Early training camp prediction, not necessarily in particular order especially goaltenders. Who else do you think will get a serious shot at the team. Maybe KKhovanov and Denisienko will get a look? Not sure, strong draft class next year but doubt Bragin would go with 3 17 year old forwards even if they are all high end, too much depth up front next year.
svechnikov is already a way better than kostin.

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2017, 09:09 AM
  #25
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
I wasn't really predicting Bragin's actions. I have no control over what he will do, and can only say what I think should be done.

As you say, he selected 17-year olds before. Buchnevich was almost selected at 17 too, if I remember correctly.

But I can't claim to know what the mentality is in the Russian coaching and scouting circles in which they deem certain players special enough to warrant consideration. Some KHL success is probably a key piece to the puzzle, but I hope there is more to it than that.
After Trenin and Guryanov were some of the biggest contributers this past tournament I hope Bragin is now more open to NA based players.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.