HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heh - Panaccio reads the boards

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2006, 07:05 AM
  #1
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Heh - Panaccio reads the boards

From today's Inky:

"Some people took last week's comment likening Flyers prospect Steve Downie to a younger Billy Tibbetts as implying the youngster has a criminal record ... Our point was, Downie, like Tibbetts, has problems controling his emotions on the ice. Pummeling a player who doesn't want to fight, attacking your own teammate from behind, and compiling seven suspensions since January 2004 are serious issues that need to be corrected at the junior level."

dedalus is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 07:16 AM
  #2
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
Until Downie ***** an underage girl, he can never be compared to Tibbets.

Steve L* is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 08:21 AM
  #3
Lisenok
orangeandblack.ru
 
Lisenok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Russians Bad (c)
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
I'm sure, Panaccio is one of us

Lisenok is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 11:49 AM
  #4
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I don't believe it, a thread I made is mentioned (indirectly) in the Philadelphia Inquirer. This might just be the proudest moment of my life.

Realistically, I think Panaccio should read the boards a bit more or at least read up on Downie.

To Mr. Panaccio, I would be more than happy to help you out with your hockey writing. E-mail me at arccampbell@gmail.com if you need assistance.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 02:01 PM
  #5
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
God what a moron, Downie cross checked Aliu in the mouth. How could he have been behind him? Way to make the kid look like a bad guy. I kid.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 04:08 PM
  #6
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,744
vCash: 625
I am Panaccio

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 05:00 PM
  #7
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
From today's Inky:

"Some people took last week's comment likening Flyers prospect Steve Downie to a younger Billy Tibbetts as implying the youngster has a criminal record ... Our point was, Downie, like Tibbetts, has problems controling his emotions on the ice. Pummeling a player who doesn't want to fight, attacking your own teammate from behind, and compiling seven suspensions since January 2004 are serious issues that need to be corrected at the junior level."
Sorry Tim (if you read this), you're still wrong. You clearly do not pay much attention to the OHL and just pick up the press releases.

Pummeling a player that didn't want to fight? That's funny, that player was challenging Downie earlier in the game, he finally got his wish but chickened out. The suspension was a joke.

Attacking your own teammate from behind? That's it? How about how that punk kid Aliu who was being subordinate, lazing off in practice and mouthing off to veterans. Downie dropped the gloves with him like a man. Aliu kept it up and made the insults personal, Downie got angry and crosschecked him, apparently, in the mouth. How can someone be crosschecked in the mouth from behind?

What you don't seem to realize Tim, is the impact that the power hungry leaders of the OHL, the commish and the ref-in-chief, have on certain players. Downie is the poster-child for making the OHL look like a disciplined, no-nonsense league. Branch and Baker pick their spots and their suspensions are a joke. 7 suspensions in 2 years is actually pretty good considering that Branch and Baker love to suspend repeat offenders for practically nothing. If Downie looks at someone the wrong way, you can guarantee it will be reviewed. Meanwhile, other players get away with murder. No doubt, Steve, like EVERY hockey player makes mistakes. I remember a game against Kitchener last year where Mike Richards crashed the goalie, knocked him over so that his teammate could score a goal and then he fell on top of another player and crosschecked him in the back of the head, smashing his face right into the ice. Bet you never heard of that, did you? No OHL press release? The soon-to-be heart and soul of the Flyers is capable of the exact same things. But the difference is Mike Richards didn't have a reputation, so why would Branch even consider doing anything about it? The point is, don't believe everything you hear out of the mouths of OHL league officials.

I won't go into Downie's character, we all saw his true colours at the world juniors, and that is the guy we're eagerly awaiting for in Flyerdom. No need to constantly be negative about him when you clearly don't have all the facts.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 06:33 PM
  #8
KasparKrunch
Registered User
 
KasparKrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
I am Panaccio
jump off a cliff.

KasparKrunch is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 07:08 PM
  #9
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
I am Panaccio
give me an internship.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 08:14 PM
  #10
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,624
vCash: 500
I doubt Panaccio has ever seen an OHL/WHL/QMJHL game in his lifetime. Morganti is probably the only writer in this town who has.

Sadly, there are no writers in Philly who are real "hockey" guys (Morganti is barely part time). Ed Moran isn't too bad but you can tell he doesn't know anything about the other teams. The Flyers beat writer is always the basketball or football guy who draws the shortest straw.

Next season it will be John Smallwood or maybe that miserable slob on DNL whose head won't even fit in your 55" plasma set.

Gert B Frobe is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 09:03 PM
  #11
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 36,024
vCash: 50
comparing a 17 year old kid who made a stupid immature mistake to a punk and a piece of garbage like Billy Tibbitts is friggin ridiculous.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 09:04 PM
  #12
FlyerFanLWB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
I am Panaccio

FlyerFanLWB is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 09:33 PM
  #13
Rails
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: LBurg and FBurg, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,334
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rails
Well, HF is one of the largest, if not the largest hockey/NHL community on the internet. I think that a lot of media personalities in various sports look at places like HF or another sport's message board. I mean, come on, a huge coming together of fans giving their own opinions on a free access message board? This is a sports analysts dream.

Rails is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 09:34 PM
  #14
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 36,024
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
I am Panaccio

you owe me a hundred bucks

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 10:02 PM
  #15
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I doubt Panaccio has ever seen an OHL/WHL/QMJHL game in his lifetime. Morganti is probably the only writer in this town who has.

Sadly, there are no writers in Philly who are real "hockey" guys (Morganti is barely part time). Ed Moran isn't too bad but you can tell he doesn't know anything about the other teams. The Flyers beat writer is always the basketball or football guy who draws the shortest straw.

Next season it will be John Smallwood or maybe that miserable slob on DNL whose head won't even fit in your 55" plasma set.
I'm not sure, Panaccio is clueless, but he's been the Flyers beat writer for a long time.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
01-29-2006, 10:36 PM
  #16
panayiotis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
really

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Sorry Tim (if you read this), you're still wrong. You clearly do not pay much attention to the OHL and just pick up the press releases.

Pummeling a player that didn't want to fight? That's funny, that player was challenging Downie earlier in the game, he finally got his wish but chickened out. The suspension was a joke.

Attacking your own teammate from behind? That's it? How about how that punk kid Aliu who was being subordinate, lazing off in practice and mouthing off to veterans. Downie dropped the gloves with him like a man. Aliu kept it up and made the insults personal, Downie got angry and crosschecked him, apparently, in the mouth. How can someone be crosschecked in the mouth from behind?

What you don't seem to realize Tim, is the impact that the power hungry leaders of the OHL, the commish and the ref-in-chief, have on certain players. Downie is the poster-child for making the OHL look like a disciplined, no-nonsense league. Branch and Baker pick their spots and their suspensions are a joke. 7 suspensions in 2 years is actually pretty good considering that Branch and Baker love to suspend repeat offenders for practically nothing. If Downie looks at someone the wrong way, you can guarantee it will be reviewed. Meanwhile, other players get away with murder. No doubt, Steve, like EVERY hockey player makes mistakes. I remember a game against Kitchener last year where Mike Richards crashed the goalie, knocked him over so that his teammate could score a goal and then he fell on top of another player and crosschecked him in the back of the head, smashing his face right into the ice. Bet you never heard of that, did you? No OHL press release? The soon-to-be heart and soul of the Flyers is capable of the exact same things. But the difference is Mike Richards didn't have a reputation, so why would Branch even consider doing anything about it? The point is, don't believe everything you hear out of the mouths of OHL league officials.

I won't go into Downie's character, we all saw his true colours at the world juniors, and that is the guy we're eagerly awaiting for in Flyerdom. No need to constantly be negative about him when you clearly don't have all the facts.
Dude u were there? There was serious racial overtones all around the incident. Of course the white media. The white hockey establishment. Swept it under the rug. Again, Downie is a kid. I hope the light comes on.

panayiotis is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 04:48 PM
  #17
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Hey Timmy, how about that, Downer was named OHL Player of the Week - 4 goals and 4 assists in 2 games, including a hat trick and 2 assists in the first game back from suspension.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 04:54 PM
  #18
CharlieGirl
Summer
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis
Dude u were there? There was serious racial overtones all around the incident. Of course the white media. The white hockey establishment. Swept it under the rug. Again, Downie is a kid. I hope the light comes on.
How on earth were there racial overtones? Aliu was a mouthy, lazy rookie who was dealt with (inappropriately, in my opinion, but that's whole other discussion that's been hashed and rehashed far too many times) - at no time have I EVER heard any kind of racial spin on this, until right now.

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
  #19
panayiotis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
get real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
How on earth were there racial overtones? Aliu was a mouthy, lazy rookie who was dealt with (inappropriately, in my opinion, but that's whole other discussion that's been hashed and rehashed far too many times) - at no time have I EVER heard any kind of racial spin on this, until right now.
Lazy black guy!!!!!No racial biased their!!!The incident on the bus...Hockeys is the most red neck establishment around...Think my friend....Again put youreself in the other kids shoes..

panayiotis is offline  
Old
01-30-2006, 10:12 PM
  #20
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis
Lazy black guy!!!!!No racial biased their!!!The incident on the bus...Hockeys is the most red neck establishment around...Think my friend....Again put youreself in the other kids shoes..
You can't be serious...

Roger's Pancreas* is offline  
Old
01-31-2006, 12:37 AM
  #21
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis
Lazy black guy!!!!!No racial biased their!!!The incident on the bus...Hockeys is the most red neck establishment around...Think my friend....Again put youreself in the other kids shoes..
Are you insane? NASCAR is the most redneck establishment around, if you're referring to sports. But come on dude, you have no clue what you're talking about with this. There was nothing racial about this incident. Charlie said it perfectly, he was a lazy rookie that mouthed off. Who said anything about the kid being black? Most of the idiots in the media and around the continent who heard about this incident have no clue that Aliu is off a different colour than most hockey players. In fact I guarantee 90% of the people reading this thread are finding out about it for the first time. No one has ever played the race card with this incident. You'd have to be down-right ignorant. His idiot dad, who was an IDIOT, I can't stress that enough, may have said something but he also accused Downie of trying to kill his son and was taking him off the team "for his own safety". The whole family is messed up.

Things are only about race when people like you make them about race. It's a pretty sad day when one hockey player can't beat up another hockey player for mouthing off without some moron thinking it's about race.

Lundqvist started for the Rangers tonight while Kevin Weekes sat on the bench. IT MUST BE RACISM! Get serious.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline  
Old
01-31-2006, 12:41 AM
  #22
markzab
Registered User
 
markzab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Lundqvist started for the Rangers tonight while Kevin Weekes sat on the bench. IT MUST BE RACISM! Get serious.

markzab is offline  
Old
01-31-2006, 12:59 AM
  #23
jfont
Registered User
 
jfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 15,436
vCash: 500
Awards:
stay on the thread topic please...last warning.

__________________
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off
jfont is offline  
Old
01-31-2006, 01:27 AM
  #24
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...
 
Dig Out Your Soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
stay on the thread topic please...last warning.
With all due respect, the thread topic IS about Downie's history and the incorrect facts that have been consistently pumped throughout the internet. Pinatch is wrong comparing him to Tibbetts because he doesn't have his facts straight. This racial thing is just another incorrect fact that needs to be set straight.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline  
Old
01-31-2006, 03:24 PM
  #25
jfont
Registered User
 
jfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 15,436
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
With all due respect, the thread topic IS about Downie's history and the incorrect facts that have been consistently pumped throughout the internet. Pinatch is wrong comparing him to Tibbetts because he doesn't have his facts straight. This racial thing is just another incorrect fact that needs to be set straight.
the racial thing does not belong in the thread...

jfont is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.