HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-encompassing Goaltending Megathread: Part II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2017, 11:22 PM
  #26
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather 4 Ever
 
Glen Sathers Cigar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 6,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revel View Post
Saving his own face by not taking more blame.

Like I've said before, this team never criticizes Hank and guys would rather play the martyr before calling him out. Hank conducts himself differently. He has no problem publicly placing blame on his teammates. IMO, criticism of others should take place behind closed doors or on the practice ice. I just don't like it. Let AV do the public calling out.

I keep rehashing the same things and repeating my opinion. I'm sure others are getting annoyed by this...as I am. I really want to stop, lol. Please stop asking me to repeat myself.



Seriously, I give up. I'm not responding to any more of this trash.

I'm done with this topic.
Honestly, you should give up. You're completely wrong here.

Those comments by Hank are in no way, shape or from an example of throwing his defense under the bus. The bulk of the statement is him taking responsibility for being bad and knowing he needs to be much better.

It seems like you're just hearing what you want to hear. The tone and content of what he's saying is largely pointing the finger at himself. Then after that also mentioning what he needs going forward to help him out of the funk, which is for the defense to tighten up. He's not just the goalie, he's basically the captain and leader of the team. He's allowed to comment about the performance of the team without it being him throwing the team under the bus.

The same way when Stepan or Mcdonagh comment on the play of the team in any given interview, it isn't them throwing the team under the bus, it is them giving honest assessments to the press about the team's performance. That's what the leaders on the team are supposed to do.

All goalies have had post game pressers where the tone of their interview is deflecting the majority of the defense and absolving themselves of blame, Hank included. He has done this in the past, same as all goalies have. This simply isn't an example of that.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 12:09 AM
  #27
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,617
vCash: 500
http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017/...286658/article

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 01:09 AM
  #28
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
So noone on a long contract should have their play questioned until absolutely sure that it's more than a 'slump' and even then its pretty pointless because they'll be on the team for a while?

Seems legit...

Out of curiosity, how does that fly with regards to you calling on Staal to retire becuass hs missed the net on a shot?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 01:59 AM
  #29
SouthernRanger
Registered User
 
SouthernRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Country: South Africa
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
I don't quite know what Adam Herman was trying to say with this article. Lots of "maybe's" and I get the feeling overall he is saying we should give Hank a bit of a pass. Did anyone else get that sense?

I am all for being patient while the King gets it together but I hope it doesn't come at the cost of too many games or worse, the season. All athletes go through this but we are still here to win.

SouthernRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 02:53 AM
  #30
Pavel Buchnevich
AV OUT
 
Pavel Buchnevich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
I don't think anyone is suggesting there is any other viable solution than letting him figure out whether he's still good or not. Gorton could try to make a bold move, and trade him, anticipating he's declined enough, but maybe other GM's will anticipate the same thing, and he won't be able to trade him.

Unless he continues to give up like 6 or 7 goals, I don't think Raanta is going to start over him. I think the team is aware that Hank finds his game or this team is done as a contender. The Rangers are not good enough to have an average goalie and contend. Not unless the defense plays a lot better, and the offense stays as the best in the league. Thats a lot to ask, and considering how the team is built, we expect our goalie to be our best player.

He'll get to the end of this year, and probably next year. If he doesn't find his game, I think they'll start transitioning him into a back up role. Its not ideal to have a back up making that much, but the team gave him too long of a contract.

Pavel Buchnevich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 03:21 AM
  #31
aufheben
Global Moderator
#RIPClendening
 
aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 30,839
vCash: 69
Quote:
If 12 months from now it's the same story for Lundqvist, then a course of action for managing the situation will be necessary.
It has been 12 months. I posted this in the other thread:



This is going back to 2007-08:


__________________


Last edited by aufheben: 01-19-2017 at 03:29 AM.
aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 03:42 AM
  #32
Rangerfan4life90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: College Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Buchnevich View Post
I don't think anyone is suggesting there is any other viable solution than letting him figure out whether he's still good or not. Gorton could try to make a bold move, and trade him, anticipating he's declined enough, but maybe other GM's will anticipate the same thing, and he won't be able to trade him.

Unless he continues to give up like 6 or 7 goals, I don't think Raanta is going to start over him. I think the team is aware that Hank finds his game or this team is done as a contender. The Rangers are not good enough to have an average goalie and contend. Not unless the defense plays a lot better, and the offense stays as the best in the league. Thats a lot to ask, and considering how the team is built, we expect our goalie to be our best player.

He'll get to the end of this year, and probably next year. If he doesn't find his game, I think they'll start transitioning him into a back up role. Its not ideal to have a back up making that much, but the team gave him too long of a contract.
With an average goalie, the Rangers likely win 2 out of 3 games they've recently lost. So, I disagree there.

I think the defense will be okay if they trade for someone at the deadline, and get Staal back. So what you want about him, but Staal is still a legit top 4 d-man, and a minutes eater.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 05:07 AM
  #33
Hunter Gathers
Electrified Angels
 
Hunter Gathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 99,655
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Citing Herman or, well, anything from Fortunato's blog, isn't going to help anything, here. No one takes them seriously.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
My MS Excel crashed so I couldn't watch the game. - ReggieDunlop68
Hunter Gathers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 05:08 AM
  #34
Hunter Gathers
Electrified Angels
 
Hunter Gathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 99,655
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
It has been 12 months. I posted this in the other thread:



This is going back to 2007-08:

Hah wow. It's literally a continuous downward trend from last year.

Hunter Gathers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 08:16 AM
  #35
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 14,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Gathers View Post
Citing Herman or, well, anything from Fortunato's blog, isn't going to help anything, here. No one takes them seriously.
Considering how in the last thread Machinehead basically discredited them by looking at the actual numbers, I am sure this is true.

__________________
3 most memorable goals in New York Rangers history:
- Stephane Matteau in game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals in 1994
- Brad Richards in game 5 of the Eastern Conference Semi Finals in 2012
- Tanner Glass in game 84 of the Tanner Glass goalless streak in 2015
Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 08:18 AM
  #36
Hunter Gathers
Electrified Angels
 
Hunter Gathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 99,655
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
I wonder if Joe still posts here or if the valid criticism drove him away.

Hunter Gathers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 08:19 AM
  #37
Siddi
Registered User
 
Siddi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
It has been 12 months. I posted this in the other thread:



This is going back to 2007-08:

Thank you Auf for taking the time and effort. Looking at your graph it certainly shows a downward trend in Hanks play. However if you break down the months and exclude the 895 he had against the Pens during April it doesn't look as bad. Is it fair to assume his eye injury might have affected his play in the PO's?

2015/2016

oct: 943

nov: 929

dec: 892

jan: 922

feb: 934

mars: 906

april (PO): 895

If we take into account that he might have battled trough eye injury during april then honestly it doesn't look that bad to me. 4 arguably great months out of 6 total.

Lundqvist being affected by his injury in the playoffs is just speculation from my part.


Last edited by Siddi: 01-19-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Siddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 08:24 AM
  #38
Hunter Gathers
Electrified Angels
 
Hunter Gathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 99,655
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
I mean, if you exclude April, it's still a huge downturn. You're just lopping off a small portion of the year when he was already trending down. A trend that has continued all year this year. I don't see what that has to do to help your argument.

Hunter Gathers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 08:37 AM
  #39
Siddi
Registered User
 
Siddi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Gathers View Post
I mean, if you exclude April, it's still a huge downturn. You're just lopping off a small portion of the year when he was already trending down. A trend that has continued all year this year. I don't see what that has to do to help your argument.
I am not even going to argue this season, he has been bad, and the graph clearly shows a negative trend.

My argument is for those saying Hank had a bad season last year. While the graph shows a negativ trend in his play to date. Actual breakdown of the months for last season proves he had far from a bad season.


Last edited by Siddi: 01-19-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Siddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 09:02 AM
  #40
NYR425
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 433
vCash: 500
We all know Hank is not playing well. Why not take a different approach with this situation. I know Raanta is still injured but why not tell Hank to take a break from the rink, take a break come back after the AllStar break refreshed and ready to play. It is only 4 games. Play Hellberg and see what he is capable of doing. Bring Skapski from ECHL to back him up. Hank gets an almost 2 week mentally and physical break. That alone could do wonders for him.

NYR425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 09:18 AM
  #41
offdacrossbar
draft the BPA
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 11,878
vCash: 500
that dallas 5th goal was a back breaker of atrocious proportions. i mean an epic level fail.

I've watched it over and over- as well as live and still cannot believe what i saw. we were back to 4-3 and had all the mojo working and then.

henrik completetly lost it. lost himself and the game. and on such a simple play.

or what should have been a simple, routine, hold the post tight kinda mundane ho hum stop against a weak attempted wrap around that never works, turns into a devastating back breaker, momentum killing whiff.

and like I've said before, he looked completely clueless while doing it. looking the other way while the puck is slid into the open side.

i mean, to give up that goal at that time was just..... i dont even have words.

and that is ALL ON HIM.

a microcosm of whats gone wrong for him. all in one play.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 09:18 AM
  #42
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Gathers View Post
Citing Herman or, well, anything from Fortunato's blog, isn't going to help anything, here. No one takes them seriously.
It's a good article, you should take the time to read it.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 09:19 AM
  #43
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
that dallas 5th goal was a back breaker of atrocious proportions. i mean an epic level fail.

I've watched it over and over- as well as live and still cannot believe what i saw.

henrik completetly lost it there. lost himself and the game. and on such a simple play.

or what should have been a simple, routine, hold the post tight kinda mundane ho hum stop against a weak attempted wrap around that never works, turns into a devastating back breaker, momentum killing, whiff.

and like I've said before, he looked completely clueless while doing it.

i mean, to give up that goal at that time was just..... i dont even have words.

and that is ALL ON HIM.

a microcosm of whats gone wrong for him. all in one play.
100% agreed, but guess what? he's human.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 09:23 AM
  #44
offdacrossbar
draft the BPA
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 11,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
100% agreed, but guess what? he's human.
see now thats not really the issue. we all agree. hes always been human.

its when hes failing, how hes failing and how many times the shots hes failing to stop seem harmless and routine yet end up in the back of the net.

the crisis of confidence isnt merely in hanks head. the entire team has lost some confidence in hank

thats scary.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 09:39 AM
  #45
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 14,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
It's a good article, you should take the time to read it.
What makes you think he didn't? He knows who wrote it so I will assume he read it, even though he disagrees with the consensus laid out in that piece

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 10:03 AM
  #46
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
What makes you think he didn't? He knows who wrote it so I will assume he read it, even though he disagrees with the consensus laid out in that piece
I assumed he didn't because of his disdain for Adam Herman.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 10:11 AM
  #47
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Gathers View Post
Citing Herman or, well, anything from Fortunato's blog, isn't going to help anything, here. No one takes them seriously.
Says the guy posting on HFBoards.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 10:15 AM
  #48
Irishguy42
Registered User
 
Irishguy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bayside
Country: United States
Posts: 8,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
I assumed he didn't because of his disdain for Adam Herman.
There's enough to not like about Herman from reading his stuff. He's a decent follow, but it's not like he's some immaculate blogger.

Irishguy42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 10:30 AM
  #49
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 14,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
I assumed he didn't because of his disdain for Adam Herman.
Well, he has good reason for that because of the subjective view of Herman. I follow the guy on Twitter but he certainly has an agenda.

Also, and I do not mean this as an insult, some people might not even read a tweet or article you post because without reading it is already perfectly clear whatever you quote is pro-Lundqvist, denying anything is his fault

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2017, 10:58 AM
  #50
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Well, he has good reason for that because of the subjective view of Herman. I follow the guy on Twitter but he certainly has an agenda.

Also, and I do not mean this as an insult, some people might not even read a tweet or article you post because without reading it is already perfectly clear whatever you quote is pro-Lundqvist, denying anything is his fault
That's a shame, but the link I posted wasn't any way pro-Lundqvist, it was a very objective view of whats going on this season. I shared it because I thought it was a good read and a great take on the situation which has caused lots of discussion here.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.