HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Sports Media Thread III (TV, Radio, Print)

Old
02-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 3158416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
My bad. I was thinking you were referring to the daily on air personalities.
No worries.

One thing sure to happen is that both stations will now schedule commercial breaks at the exact same time as you will have one traffic department handling both.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 02:12 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

vCash: 500
Quote:
I don't know about dropping Dale but I agree you can tell there was an immediate chemistry between Holly and Keefe. Minihane mentioned that in his podcast with Holley and said Dale is starting to come across as the odd man out.
That's funny. I think the real noticeable difference is mainly a stylistic one. Back a couple of weeks ago they were doing a lot about the crap coming out of Atlanta about Boston being a racist town (and no, I am not looking to debate/discuss that it's just what they were discussing at the time), and Keefe and Holley were both open and engaging with the folks that called in on that subject, even if they disagreed. If Dale disagreed with the caller, he got agitated and annoyed, to the point where you could feel it coming over the broadcast. Keefe and Holley were far more patient and willing to give the callers a fair shot to explain themselves and the reasoning for their views.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
He was the only reason to listen to Adam Jones' show. Since he's left it's beyond painful. I don't understand why anyone would give that guy his own show...
As we clearly disagree on this, and I find Keefe to be atrociously unlistenable, I'm curious as to what you find "beyond painful" about Jones' show.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 02:17 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
As we clearly disagree on this, and I find Keefe to be atrociously unlistenable, I'm curious as to what you find "beyond painful" about Jones' show.
How manufactured his takes are. How whatever he says is designed to **** off the locals just to get them to call in and argue the counterpoint. How condescending he comes off. How boring most of his takes really are, which is different than just using them to incite people. How if he doesn't have a guest, his show basically plods along with really uneven pacing. How when people call in to argue, you get the sense he doesn't even believe what he's saying, but that he has to continue the front since it's part of his show. Pretty much all of it. The only show that I wanted to listen to less was Planet Mikey, because that was insufferable.

Old
02-03-2017, 02:22 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
How manufactured his takes are. How whatever he says is designed to **** off the locals just to get them to call in and argue the counterpoint. How condescending he comes off. How boring most of his takes really are, which is different than just using them to incite people. How if he doesn't have a guest, his show basically plods along with really uneven pacing. How when people call in to argue, you get the sense he doesn't even believe what he's saying, but that he has to continue the front since it's part of his show. Pretty much all of it. The only show that I wanted to listen to less was Planet Mikey, because that was insufferable.
Nicely put.

If I read this without knowing who you were talking about, I'd say it pertains to just about any sports host I've listened to, but I don't know if I'd say Jones is worse at those things than most others.

Mikey sucked cuz he'd venture off topic and discuss....who the heck knows what?

The worst guy I've heard....weekend nights when the local shows get replaced by ESPN radio, there's a guy who sounds like he smoked 7 packs a day for at least 50 years....terrible.

Last edited by Roll 4 Lines: 02-03-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old
02-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery

Quote:
Nicely put.

If I read this without knowing who you were talking about, I'd say it pertains to just about any sports host I've listened to.
Replace Jones with Felger in his post and it is spot on. I have heard from others calling Jones just a say whatever I overheard from Felger earlier kind of host.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 02:44 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Replace Jones with Felger in his post and it is spot on. I have heard from others calling Jones just a say whatever I overheard from Felger earlier kind of host.
Yep. Very similar. But in fairness, Felger does a much better job of trolling the locals than Jones does. But yes, very similar acts...

Old
02-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
I can see that.

When I say I like to listen to a host, I don't necessarily mean I ever agree with the host. It's prolly more interesting to me when I don't agree with them.

However, I guess I'm olde-fashionde enough to expect a talk show host to have a decent speaking voice with very few speech impediments, and a relatively good understanding of the English language.

Now...you kids get off my lawn!!!!

Old
02-03-2017, 03:11 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Nicely put.

If I read this without knowing who you were talking about, I'd say it pertains to just about any sports host I've listened to, but I don't know if I'd say Jones is worse at those things than most others.

Mikey sucked cuz he'd venture off topic and discuss....who the heck knows what?

The worst guy I've heard....weekend nights when the local shows get replaced by ESPN radio, there's a guy who sounds like he smoked 7 packs a day for at least 50 years....terrible.
Mikey's old NECN show, Sports Tonight, was hilarious, it just didn't translate to radio very well. Now my all time least favorite was Ted Sarandis. He was terrible.

Old
02-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Mikey's old NECN show, Sports Tonight, was hilarious, it just didn't translate to radio very well. Now my all time least favorite was Ted Sarandis. He was terrible.
I miss that show

Old
02-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't like Ted's show. But then, I don't like basketball, let alone college basketball.

Bet I'd have a few laughs if I joined Mikey for one or 2!

Old
02-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Ted Sarandis has his moments. His all night suicide prevention shows after a brutal Red Sox loss were great radio.

Old
02-03-2017, 03:38 PM
TP
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Ted Sarandis has his moments. His all night suicide prevention shows after a brutal Red Sox loss were great radio.
I grew up with Teddie at night. and his March Madness shows won me a bracket one year.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 03:46 PM
sarge88

Quote:
I remember his show the night that Reggie Lewis died. Very, very sad night that he handled very well.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 04:18 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

As I've said before I love the Dale & Holley show. I've never heard this Keefe guy so I don't have any opinion. D&H has far less sports radio buffoonery and bull ship which is why I listen to & like them so much.

Other sports radio shows make my ears bleed. No thoughtful discussions just lots of ranting by the hosts and sheer idiot callers. I know there's something wrong with me as a sports fan that I don't like this, I know this is the template that drives ratings. I just wish it was different.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
As I've said before I love the Dale & Holley show. I've never heard this Keefe guy so I don't have any opinion. D&H has far less sports radio buffoonery and bull ship which is why I listen to & like them so much.

Other sports radio shows make my ears bleed. No thoughtful discussions just lots of ranting by the hosts and sheer idiot callers. I know there's something wrong with me as a sports fan that I don't like this, I know this is the template that drives ratings. I just wish it was different.
I think I need help, because I yell at the radio, call them names, disagree with them, etc......and then do it again the next day! !!

Old
02-03-2017, 04:27 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Do you think Kirk believes he has this power/pull or is it schtick

When he realized on air he and Curtis were the only 2 not invited to the Davio's owners dinner in Houston he seemed a bit stunned

He thought it was their show but when Callahan finally got his phone up and running on the show and said 77 texts came through and soon thereafter saw the invite it dawned on minihane he was ostracized

I don't blame WEEI hosts for not inviting him. You can't trust anything you do or say around him won't be brought up on air- he's like that kid in high school

You may have heard things on this

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 06:49 AM
TP
Global Moderator

Awards:
Officially, I cannot stand Maria Stefanos. I just have to get that off my chest.

Annoying and she thinks she's all that.. SHE AINT

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 05:01 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Felger and Mazz

We've now resorted to blaming Rask.

Yeah right.

02-07-2017, 05:51 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Felger and Mazz

We've now resorted to blaming Rask.

Yeah right.
That's been more Mazz than Felger though.

Old
02-07-2017, 05:55 PM
chizzler

Quote:
That's been more Mazz than Felger though.
Mazz should stick to baseball.

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 05:58 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzler View Post
Max should stick to baseball.
Agreed. He's not even a very good co-host. At all.

Old
02-07-2017, 06:10 PM
MattFromFranklin
#FireSweeneyandNeely

Quote:
Agreed. He's not even a very good co-host. At all.
I wasn't able to listen much, but did Felger go after his buddy Neely at all?

MattFromFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Wrigley

vCash: 3495
Here's a thread about Jack Edwards: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2186751

Yogi Berra: When you come to a fork in the road, take it. You can observe a lot by just watching. It ainít over till itís over. Itís like dťjŗ vu all over again. No one goes there anymore, itís too crowded.
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2017, 10:31 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
Here's a thread about Jack Edwards: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2186751
Thanks for the link.

And congratulations on winning the World Series!

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote