Notices

Tucker Poolman Discussion

Old
01-21-2017, 06:27 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Tucker Poolman Discussion

We were getting a bit OT in the Postma thread, so I moved the posts that were primarily discussing Poolman here.

Have at it.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 01-22-2017 at 04:59 PM.
YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Agreed.

I'm *hopeful* Poolman can be an upgrade, but I am not going to assume he is.

NCAA -> NHL is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig jump
Absolutely.

I'm hopeful too. If he can be an upgrade to Postma great, if not, c'est la vie. But we need a quality 3rd pairing.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Mortimer Snerd

vCash: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky10 View Post
In the big picture not many college players go the UFA route, Vesey and Schultz are recent examples but they are in the minority. The Jets haven't had trouble signing any of their NCAA players to date, why is Poolman an issue?

Poolman is a decent player but people acting like he's a lock to make the Jets next Fall underscores their lack of depth on defense. They can't afford to be letting guys like Postma go right now unless they plan to sign a better piece in the off season. Going into next season with Poolman already written in as your #5 D would be a little short sighted.
In the big picture not many good prospects play their 4th year of NCAA. Of those who do, how many go the UFA route?

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 07:39 AM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
In the big picture not many good prospects play their 4th year of NCAA. Of those who do, how many go the UFA route?
Poolman is well known to be a late bloomer and he's a 5th round draft pick, he's not Charlie McAvoy.

Playing an additional year with his brother on a UND team that had most of it's roster returning and have a good chance at repeating, probably sounded more fun than a year with the Moose. He can do that next season.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 07:47 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Agreed.

I'm *hopeful* Poolman can be an upgrade, but I am not going to assume he is.

NCAA -> NHL is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig jump
It's a big jump, but it's not that uncommon for a top NCAA defenseman to fit right into an NHL line-up. Poolman would slot into a bottom-pairing role, and it wouldn't be a huge stretch to imagine him doing that.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 09:27 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
It's a big jump, but it's not that uncommon for a top NCAA defenseman to fit right into an NHL line-up. Poolman would slot into a bottom-pairing role, and it wouldn't be a huge stretch to imagine him doing that.
I agree, I think he's capable. He's developed well, the age thing doesn't bother me as he's not s top pairing guy anyway but bottom pair. I think they sign him as soon as und is finished, and if we are outve the playoffs he plays ahead of postma to see what we got.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 09:49 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I agree, I think he's capable. He's developed well, the age thing doesn't bother me as he's not s top pairing guy anyway but bottom pair. I think they sign him as soon as und is finished, and if we are outve the playoffs he plays ahead of postma to see what we got.
Absolutely no risk to signing him and seeing what he can do. By then it is post TD so roster limits are relaxed so you don't even need to risk losing one of your other D on waivers.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 12:17 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I could literally list more of examples of NCAA defencemen who were better and more sought after than Poolman who weren't NHL calibre than I would ever care to type on here. I would say it's not common, especially for players Poolman's age and I doubt the proportion of defencemen which graduate straight to the NHL that are still CHL aged is higher or lower in any noteworthy amount.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
Poolman is well known to be a late bloomer and he's a 5th round draft pick, he's not Charlie McAvoy.

Playing an additional year with his brother on a UND team that had most of it's roster returning and have a good chance at repeating, probably sounded more fun than a year with the Moose. He can do that next season.
Is he? I would say more like known to have started late and therefore always been 2 years older than those he is being compared to.

I think there would be a lot of teams very interested in him. He is a good, not great prospect.

All of your statements are of little relevance to my post unless you are stating that he is still in the NCAA because he is not a good prospect. The fact the Jets tried to sign him in each of the last 2 off-seasons says otherwise.

Your statement was "In the big picture not many college players go the UFA route, Vesey and Schultz are recent examples but they are in the minority. The Jets haven't had trouble signing any of their NCAA players to date, why is Poolman an issue?"

That is true but for it to relate to Poolman we have to look only at those NCAA prospects who get to this position. That does not mean including all those NCAA players who have little or no NHL potential.

Him being a late bloomer or not is entirely irrelevant. So is his desire to play with his brother. That year with the Moose would have been worth about 160k. Do you think another year at UND was that much more fun? He can't get that 160k back. There is no mechanism for that. The relevant fact is that he will have arrived at the point where he has the UFA option. Of those players who get to that point, how many take that route?

All the arguments supporting him signing with the Jets have been made several times. We don't have any idea how he values some of those aspects. Jets can still offer some financial incentives that no one else can. The Jets clearly still have an advantage but it is not a lock.

Old
01-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast

Quote:
Is he? I would say more like known to have started late and therefore always been 2 years older than those he is being compared to.

I think there would be a lot of teams very interested in him. He is a good, not great prospect.

All of your statements are of little relevance to my post unless you are stating that he is still in the NCAA because he is not a good prospect. The fact the Jets tried to sign him in each of the last 2 off-seasons says otherwise.

Your statement was "In the big picture not many college players go the UFA route, Vesey and Schultz are recent examples but they are in the minority. The Jets haven't had trouble signing any of their NCAA players to date, why is Poolman an issue?"

That is true but for it to relate to Poolman we have to look only at those NCAA prospects who get to this position. That does not mean including all those NCAA players who have little or no NHL potential.

Him being a late bloomer or not is entirely irrelevant. So is his desire to play with his brother. That year with the Moose would have been worth about 160k. Do you think another year at UND was that much more fun? He can't get that 160k back. There is no mechanism for that. The relevant fact is that he will have arrived at the point where he has the UFA option. Of those players who get to that point, how many take that route?

All the arguments supporting him signing with the Jets have been made several times. We don't have any idea how he values some of those aspects. Jets can still offer some financial incentives that no one else can. The Jets clearly still have an advantage but it is not a lock.
I have no idea what you're going on about, my very first post said it makes complete sense to sign Poolman. The context was let's not be letting guys like Postma go expecting Poolman is going to walk in and be better, or even as good as he is.

I don't think the Jets are worried about signing Poolman, I haven't heard a thing to suggest that, anyway it's ot , this is more about Postman.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 11:00 PM
lanky

Quote:
let's not be letting guys like Postma go expecting Poolman is going to walk in and be better, or even as good as he is.
You're 100% right. If Poolman is going to have an NHL future, he can prove that he deserves it with the Moose. Anyone suggesting he can step right in and play 3rd pair is just as naive as those that said Lemieux should be on our 4th line this season. I realize that he's older than Lemieux but the jump is big and there's no incentive for Chevy to apply that much blind faith.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2017, 11:30 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Poolman is at the very least an open box of crackers in an otherwise pretty bare LD prospect cupboard. If we're lucky he might turn out to be a full box, or even a case of condensed soup!

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 12:32 AM
Kyosama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Poolman is at the very least an open box of crackers in an otherwise pretty bare LD prospect cupboard. If we're lucky he might turn out to be a full box, or even a case of condensed soup!
He's a RD. He played the final half of last season on the left side.

Kyosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 12:39 AM
tbcwpg

I admit that I know almost nothing about the guy, but I believe that guys who play out their 4th year in NCAA are more likely not to sign with the NHL team that drafted them, than they are to sign with them. I really doubt that the Jets believe this guy is getting anything more out of NCAA and would like to have him playing with the Moose right now. That said, it's unlikely (not impossible) that he's anything more than a bottom pairing guy, eventually. He'd have to learn the pro game first as it's rare that a player can come in that quick and have an impact right away, even at a reduced role.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 12:39 AM
Mortimer Snerd

Quote:
I have no idea what you're going on about, my very first post said it makes complete sense to sign Poolman. The context was let's not be letting guys like Postma go expecting Poolman is going to walk in and be better, or even as good as he is.

I don't think the Jets are worried about signing Poolman, I haven't heard a thing to suggest that, anyway it's ot , this is more about Postman.
I responded to one specific statement that you made. It was technically correct but quite misleading. This post I mostly agree with.

Old
01-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosama View Post
He's a RD. He played the final half of last season on the left side.
Is he not playing on the left side this year too?

Old
01-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Kyosama

Quote:
No he's playing RD on the top pair with his brother who is a LD.

Kyosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 11:33 AM
csk

Quote:
I don't think so.

From games 4 & 18 (the only ones I could find):

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Flair Hay

Hopefully we are able to get him signed.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Peggy

Who is this poolman guy?

Peggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 12:25 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
Who is this poolman guy?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...hlight=poolman
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...hlight=poolman

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
What advantages to the Jets have?

As far as I know (and I'm not a CBA expert) the one advantage the Jets have is they could sign Poolman either right now, or immediately after UND's season is over, which would give him a bit of cash this year, plus burn a year of his ELC.

Problem I see though is that the Jets last game is April 8th, which is also the day of the finals of the Frozen Four. And since UND won the damn thing last year, there's a real chance they make it into the Frozen Four again this year (though I checked, and right now they're only ranked 12th).

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 12:30 PM
MardyBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
What advantages to the Jets have?

As far as I know (and I'm not a CBA expert) the one advantage the Jets have is they could sign Poolman either right now, or immediately after UND's season is over, which would give him a bit of cash this year, plus burn a year of his ELC.

Problem I see though is that the Jets last game is April 8th, which is also the day of the finals of the Frozen Four. And since UND won the damn thing last year, there's a real chance they make it into the Frozen Four again this year (though I checked, and right now they're only ranked 12th).
They're a pretty meh team this year, I don't think they'll make it near the FF.

MardyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosama View Post
No he's playing RD on the top pair with his brother who is a LD.
Are they collectively known as "Poolmen"?

Old
01-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Peggy

Thanks!

Guessing the best we can hop for him is to become a 3rd pairing dman(?)

Peggy is online now   Reply With Quote