HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Tucker Poolman Discussion (UPD: signed to one year ELC for 2017-18)

Old
03-18-2017, 04:34 PM
JetBlue420

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegger View Post
Maybe I am just used to watching NHL defencemen but he doesn't look terribly fast or agile. For example he is nowhere near the skater that Morrissey is.
Not many guys are. Morrissey is a very good skater. Poolman? Who knows.. seems like a late bloomer... I guess what I'd hope for is an upgrade on the third pair.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:38 PM
winnipegger

vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
Not many guys are. Morrissey is a very good skater. Poolman? Who knows.. seems like a late bloomer... I guess what I'd hope for is an upgrade on the third pair.
He seems to have a very good head on his shoulders as far as processing things in his own end. This would be a nice to thing to have on the Jets 3rd pair as it doesn't really exist (has existed when exactly?)

winnipegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:43 PM
JetBlue420

Quote:
He seems to have a very good head on his shoulders as far as processing things in his own end. This would be a nice to thing to have on the Jets 3rd pair as it doesn't really exist (has existed when exactly?)
Lots of very good D men aren't the best at everything..they all have their issues. It does seem tho that the ones with Hockey IQ and who know what their role is..
They tend to do all right.

I think Poolman will be a pretty solid player

Old
03-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
With that if he skates as well as Chiarot he will do just fine thank you. Otherwise he might just be a right handed Pardy.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 04:48 PM
surixon

Quote:
Skating is what stands out as far as possible weaknesses, but plays responsible and smart. He would make a great Stuart replacement (to be clear, a buttered piece of toast would be an adequate Stuart replacement at this point)

Lots of looks at his game in this one:

Yeah his skating wasn't as good as I was expecting. Certainly not bad by any stretch but I'd peg it as average.

He's good at reading the play both offensively and defensively. I think he's going to have some issues with his breakouts at the next level. I found he coughed it up or miss fired when being pressured. That pressure will intensify substantially at the next level. I was also expecting him to be more dominant physically against that level of competetion. He still looks to have a nice set of skills and could be a good bottom pair guy, don't know that it's next year though.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 05:12 PM
winnipegger

vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Yeah his skating wasn't as good as I was expecting. Certainly not bad by any stretch but I'd peg it as average.

He's good at reading the play both offensively and defensively. I think he's going to have some issues with his breakouts at the next level. I found he coughed it up or miss fired when being pressured. That pressure will intensify substantially at the next level. I was also expecting him to be more dominant physically against that level of competetion. He still looks to have a nice set of skills and could be a good bottom pair guy, don't know that it's next year though.
You tend to forget how fast the NHL is when you watch college or junior. A player like Postma is dominant in lower level hockey because he has a couple of extra seconds to read the play. Take those couple of seconds away and he is struggling to stay a regular in the NHL. Postma's skating is actually quite good but in his own end he needs more time to make plays than the NHL typically allows you. I wouldn't bet on Poolman being an impact defender any time soon with the Jets. Hope I'm wrong though.

winnipegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 05:23 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post

I noticed the same thing on breakouts. I expected a guy with that many points to be a better puck mover in his own end.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
Awards:
In about a half dozen full game viewings of Poolman, I see average to above average tools across the board. Only major plus is his size and how effectively he uses it along the boards. Decent awareness, but that's not a standout trait either (I thought Kostalek looked like a much "headier" player in junior, as an example).

My NHL projection for Poolman is still pretty guarded. I think he'll be a fine AHL defenseman, there's no question he'll get his cup of coffee with Jets, but I'm not banking on more than that. Kinda like another Zach Redmond.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Oh oh

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 09:08 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Oh oh

Any hope of luring him here for some NHL time this season could be gone. He might as well wait for the UFA offers now.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
Any hope of luring him here for some NHL time this season could be gone. He might as well wait for the UFA offers now.
No. All he has to do is sign this year to get his 92.5 signing bonus. Getting into any games is not necessary.

Old
03-18-2017, 11:54 PM
JetBlue420

Berry (UND coch) expects Poolman back for next weekends games

Old
03-18-2017, 11:57 PM
JetBlue420

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/sta...06668096143360

Old
03-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
UND will face Boston University whose roster includes the likes of Keller, Greenway, Bellows, Krys, McAvoy, Fabbro. Game is in Fargo on friday afternoon. Game is on TSNGO

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:40 AM
gbill2004*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
No. All he has to do is sign this year to get his 92.5 signing bonus. Getting into any games is not necessary.
If I was him I'd forego the $92.5k and then sign with whatever team I preferred. $92.5k isn't that much.

gbill2004* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Bob E

Wonder if it's a shoulder?

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Deedog99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbill2004 View Post
If I was him I'd forego the $92.5k and then sign with whatever team I preferred. $92.5k isn't that much.
Is this guy really in high demand? People are projecting him a number 6 D on the Jets. One of the worst defensive teams in the league! Where would he fit on any other team?

Deedog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 12:40 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Also finishing year with club gives him probably around 115k. That's a lot of money to give up when you already took an extra year to play with your brother and have no guarantee of making NHL. He takes the cash and opportunity. Close to home and he's a loyal guy according to und. May get games in too.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
Berry (UND coch) expects Poolman back for next weekends games
Good news!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Unless he was born rich it would be quite a lot to a young guy who may never have cashed a paycheque before. Also a lot to a guy who may spend the next 2 years in the A earning 70k/yr. That also knocks a year off his ELC which could potentially be worth a lot of money, even by your standards.

What advantage do you think there might be to his 'preferred' team? You realize that there is a pretty good chance that Winnipeg is his preferred team, right?

Old
03-20-2017, 05:59 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Unless he was born rich it would be quite a lot to a young guy who may never have cashed a paycheque before. Also a lot to a guy who may spend the next 2 years in the A earning 70k/yr. That also knocks a year off his ELC which could potentially be worth a lot of money, even by your standards.

What advantage do you think there might be to his 'preferred' team? You realize that there is a pretty good chance that Winnipeg is his preferred team, right?
I suppose if he believes he would have more success going forward with a different team he might forego the money up front. Pretty big gamble for a prospect of his calibre though.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:09 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
I suppose it's possible that Poolman signs somewhere else, but it doesn't really make sense that he would.

As others have mentioned, he'll be leaving a good chunk of change on the table. Not many (any?) franchises with worse minor league depth on the blueline, and he'll get to play his AHL hockey in the same city as the parent club. And to boot, he'll be close to home.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 08:11 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
UND plays BU Boston University this Friday at 2 pm. If they win that game they most likely play Minnisota Duluth on Saturday the final game to see if they can advance to the frozen four tournament.

If Poolman is going to play in a Jet uniform this year .....UND would have to lose one of these 2 games this weekend. The frozen four tournament coincides with the Jets final weekend of the season.

I have to think that Poolman is a better option than Nogier /Strait/melechiori/ and STUART who may all start in tonight's game.........( I Am hoping for a repeat of that first year matchup against Philly tonight and a 10-9 win for the Jets).

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Channelcat

Quote:
Wpg would be a great fit for him if he wants to move up the depth chart, which he clearly would.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 08:22 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Uhhh, that signing bonus is over a years worth of salary if he's playing in the AHL....That seems pretty damn significant.

Also what team is more likely then the jets to give him NHL time?

I'd you want to talk about money let's frame it this way:

Location he hates offers 92k bonus + 400k/year because hes going to play the majority of the season in the NHL

Location he loves offers : 120k a year, standard 60-80k year two way AHL money and a couple games in the big league.

He would really have to hate the place giving him an opportunity to earn 5x the amount of money.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote