HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tucker Poolman Discussion (UPD: signed to one year ELC for 2017-18)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2017, 12:39 PM
  #26
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
What advantages to the Jets have?

As far as I know (and I'm not a CBA expert) the one advantage the Jets have is they could sign Poolman either right now, or immediately after UND's season is over, which would give him a bit of cash this year, plus burn a year of his ELC.

Problem I see though is that the Jets last game is April 8th, which is also the day of the finals of the Frozen Four. And since UND won the damn thing last year, there's a real chance they make it into the Frozen Four again this year (though I checked, and right now they're only ranked 12th).
You mean, last regular season game. Paveluck will have us in the playoffs.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 12:48 PM
  #27
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,430
vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
What advantages to the Jets have?

As far as I know (and I'm not a CBA expert) the one advantage the Jets have is they could sign Poolman either right now, or immediately after UND's season is over, which would give him a bit of cash this year, plus burn a year of his ELC.

Problem I see though is that the Jets last game is April 8th, which is also the day of the finals of the Frozen Four. And since UND won the damn thing last year, there's a real chance they make it into the Frozen Four again this year (though I checked, and right now they're only ranked 12th).
Yes. UND probably plays longer than the Jets do this year. That limits the amount of cash he could get to a signing bonus. Burning that ELC year could be big too though.

The assumption is that being close to home is also in the Jets favour. We have little to base that on. For all we know he may want to get as far away from the prairie as possible.

Then there is any sense of attachment to the team that drafted him, FWIW.

That's about it.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 01:03 PM
  #28
Yukon Joe
Registered User
 
Yukon Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
You mean, last regular season game. Paveluck will have us in the playoffs.
I'd like to assume that if the Jets make the playoffs they're not going to put a raw rookie in the lineup for his first game...

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 01:05 PM
  #29
CaptainChef
Registered User
 
CaptainChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bedroom Jetsville
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,654
vCash: 500
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=118006

That size & scoring at nearly a .8 ppg pace in the NCAA this year! Even if he doesn't make the NHL right away, Jets are desperate to add to their D prospects cupboard. Almost certain to offer him a contract and burn off a year of ELC when his UND season is done


Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 01-23-2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Moved it for you...
CaptainChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 02:22 PM
  #30
Kyosama
Registered User
 
Kyosama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Are they collectively known as "Poolmen"?
Missed opportunity if they're not!

Also, even more reason to draft Colton and hope he turns out.


Last edited by Kyosama: 01-23-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Kyosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 02:49 PM
  #31
truck
Registered User
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChef View Post
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=118006

That size & scoring at nearly a .8 ppg pace in the NCAA this year! Even if he doesn't make the NHL right away, Jets are desperate to add to their D prospects cupboard. Almost certain to offer him a contract and burn off a year of ELC when his UND season is done
He'll be 24 years old if / when he enters Jets camp. If he signs, he'd better figure it out quick.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 02:52 PM
  #32
Hobble
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,591
vCash: 500
Has he voiced any hesitation to signing with the Jets? Any rumours floating around?

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 02:56 PM
  #33
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,296
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
He'll be 24 years old if / when he enters Jets camp. If he signs, he'd better figure it out quick.
He's two years older than Morrissey and a year older than Trouba. Trouba is in his 4th NHL season and Morrissey is already a second year pro!

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 02:58 PM
  #34
csk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobble View Post
Has he voiced any hesitation to signing with the Jets? Any rumours floating around?
Explicitly the opposite, as he has claimed that he intends to sign with the Jets.

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 02:59 PM
  #35
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobble View Post
Has he voiced any hesitation to signing with the Jets? Any rumours floating around?
The Jets have apparently tried to sign him the last two offseasons and he turned them down. 2 years ago to try again for a national championship (mission accomplished) and last year to play with his brother this year.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:01 PM
  #36
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,296
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
The Jets have apparently tried to sign him the last two offseasons and he turned them down. 2 years ago to try again for a national championship (mission accomplished) and last year to play with his brother this year.
He knows pro hockey is a paid gig right?

Seems like he has turned down a lot of money he could have made that he will never see.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:03 PM
  #37
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,974
vCash: 500
I think he gets the Copp treatement this year:
Signed and mostly practices. Game or two at end of season.
Next year will be trying out for bottom pair. May make it or may not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
It's a big jump, but it's not that uncommon for a top NCAA defenseman to fit right into an NHL line-up. Poolman would slot into a bottom-pairing role, and it wouldn't be a huge stretch to imagine him doing that.
It is uncommon. But it does happen.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:03 PM
  #38
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast
 
Ducky10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,032
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
He'll be 24 years old if / when he enters Jets camp. If he signs, he'd better figure it out quick.
Lol, exactly. His expiry date is coming a lot sooner than most.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:06 PM
  #39
csk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
It's a big jump, but it's not that uncommon for a top NCAA defenseman to fit right into an NHL line-up. Poolman would slot into a bottom-pairing role, and it wouldn't be a huge stretch to imagine him doing that.
I would like to have him spend a year in the AHL, to get used to the workload at the very least.

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:12 PM
  #40
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,974
vCash: 500
Some numbers:
1.6% of defenders who play all four seasons become NHLers for 200+ games.
7.4% of drafted defenders who play out all four seasons become NHLers for 200+ games.
40% of drafted defenders who play 1 or more NHL game after (NHL trial game at season end) who play out all four seasons become NHLers for 200+ games.

The last one is a small sample: 6 successes since year 2000.
(Numbers do not include those playing this season)

I think Poolman will be one of those 40%.
I would not be surprised though if he takes half or a full year of AHL prior, like most 4 of those 6 were.
I would not be surprised though if he does not become better than Postma.
I also would not be surprised if I'm wrong with any of the 3 proceeding points.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:15 PM
  #41
Ducky10
Playoff Enthusiast
 
Ducky10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,032
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Some numbers:
1.6% of defenders who play all four seasons become NHLers for 200+ games.
7.4% of drafted defenders who play out all four seasons become NHLers for 200+ games.
40% of drafted defenders who play 1 or more NHL game after (NHL trial game at season end) who play out all four seasons become NHLers for 200+ games.

The last one is a small sample: 6 successes since year 2000.
(Numbers do not include those playing this season)

I think Poolman will be one of those 40%.
I would not be surprised though if he takes half or a full year of AHL prior, like most 4 of those 6 were.
I would not be surprised though if he does not become better than Postma.
I also would not be surprised if I'm wrong with any of the 3 proceeding points.

Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:24 PM
  #42
truck
Registered User
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Some numbers:
1.6% of defenders who play all four seasons become NHLers for 200+ games.
7.4% of drafted defenders who play out all four seasons become NHLers for 200+ games.
40% of drafted defenders who play 1 or more NHL game after (NHL trial game at season end) who play out all four seasons become NHLers for 200+ games.

The last one is a small sample: 6 successes since year 2000.
(Numbers do not include those playing this season)

I think Poolman will be one of those 40%.
I would not be surprised though if he takes half or a full year of AHL prior, like most 4 of those 6 were.
I would not be surprised though if he does not become better than Postma.
I also would not be surprised if I'm wrong with any of the 3 proceeding points.
It'll be interesting to the depth chart in camp.

At this point it looks like we could have Stuart, Chiarot and Poolman battling it out for 3rd pair ice.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:28 PM
  #43
JetBlue420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eagle Creek Drive
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,279
vCash: 500
All indications from what I've heard is Tucker is a pretty big family guy and is pretty happy that he has the opportunity to be playing 2 hours or so away from home. I think things like that matter to guys like him, I don't really care if he's going to be 24, sometimes D men take longer to develop and what i've seen from Poolman so far, it suggests to me that he very well could be a very good 3rd pairing guy, plus the fact he can play on the right side and left side and even has played some wing, it's a good thing, versatility is pretty good to have.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:29 PM
  #44
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
It'll be interesting to the depth chart in camp.

At this point it looks like we could have Stuart, Chiarot and Poolman battling it out for 3rd pair ice.
I sincerely hope they elect not to bring back Chariot and have real options heading into camp and that Poolman will have to force his way on if he signs.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:31 PM
  #45
JetBlue420
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eagle Creek Drive
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,279
vCash: 500
Chiarot is an RFA is he not? I'm not convinced they will qualify him.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:38 PM
  #46
ps241
Playoff push 2017
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 20,981
vCash: 50
At this point any success Poolman has with the Jets "IF" it happens is 100% gravy for me since I never counted on anything from the pick. It would be great to be pleasantly surprised and I would be thrilled for Puck Stoppa!

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2017, 03:47 PM
  #47
CaptainChef
Registered User
 
CaptainChef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bedroom Jetsville
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
All indications from what I've heard is Tucker is a pretty big family guy and is pretty happy that he has the opportunity to be playing 2 hours or so away from home. I think things like that matter to guys like him, I don't really care if he's going to be 24, sometimes D men take longer to develop and what i've seen from Poolman so far, it suggests to me that he very well could be a very good 3rd pairing guy, plus the fact he can play on the right side and left side and even has played some wing, it's a good thing, versatility is pretty good to have.
Precisely my feelings on this one. Jets are by all indications fairly high on this guy & I think the feeling is reciprocal. Even though he's older than the average, I think that will have little implication on his chances of making it with the Jets (unless we suddenly improve our defensive depth).

I'd rate his chances of making this team & sticking as pretty good. Sounds like a prospect akin to Stanley in many ways although his upside would be much lower. The thing I haven't yet got a feel for is his foot speed (can he handle the speed of the faster forwards in the NHL) & his hockey smarts. The rest of his game seems more than adequate.

CaptainChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2017, 09:20 AM
  #48
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
At this point any success Poolman has with the Jets "IF" it happens is 100% gravy for me since I never counted on anything from the pick. It would be great to be pleasantly surprised and I would be thrilled for Puck Stoppa!
Well you know that I've been tracking his Corski and Fenwicz for four years now not to mention I developed PCS (Polish consulting service)! I've always been a big fan of his, kinda like Holden with Dano


Last edited by puck stoppa: 01-24-2017 at 10:05 AM.
puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2017, 10:41 AM
  #49
csk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
Chiarot is an RFA is he not? I'm not convinced they will qualify him.
If they do I'll get upset. I expect to be upset.

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2017, 11:16 AM
  #50
Dayofthedogs
Registered User
 
Dayofthedogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
I believe he signs with the jets if 1 of Trouba/Myers is moved. Otherwise his path to the NHL will probably be a lot clearer with another team. If we carry all of Buff, Toby, JoMo, Trouba and Myers into next season I can see him trying somewhere else.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.