HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

What to do with B.Johnson

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 06:57 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
What to do with B.Johnson

Discuss. (I'll toss in my $.02 after noon.)

10-22-2003, 07:11 AM
blues1234

vCash: 500
Try to get a decent prospect and/or a pick and ship his butt out of here.

Does anyone no how Sanford and Divis are doing this year?

Old
10-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Frenzy1

Divis hasn't been great and Sanford had a child and missed a couple of games (210 should be able to discuss this better).

I think that Johnson would benefit from a change of scenery. I think he has the tools, but he really tries to anticipate the play - hence he leans twords where he thinks the play is headed - and gets caught out of position. (Sorry for the run on).

I am not sure what the market value for Johnson is and I am not sure we should burn the 26 yr. old for 1 game. I think it could be argued that the 1st 2 goals were not his fault and I dont think Hasek in his prime would have had a chance on the 1st and maybe the 2nd.

What could we get for him? Maybe a marginal prospect or a mid-round pick 4 or 5, but not much more. I just wouldn't rush to trade him at this time...

Old
10-22-2003, 08:13 AM
execwrite

Trade him to Carolina for Irbe and a third-round draft pick. Carolina has to pay half of Irbe's salary.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:51 AM
blues1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Divis hasn't been great and Sanford had a child and missed a couple of games (210 should be able to discuss this better).

I think that Johnson would benefit from a change of scenery. I think he has the tools, but he really tries to anticipate the play - hence he leans twords where he thinks the play is headed - and gets caught out of position. (Sorry for the run on).

I am not sure what the market value for Johnson is and I am not sure we should burn the 26 yr. old for 1 game. I think it could be argued that the 1st 2 goals were not his fault and I dont think Hasek in his prime would have had a chance on the 1st and maybe the 2nd.

What could we get for him? Maybe a marginal prospect or a mid-round pick 4 or 5, but not much more. I just wouldn't rush to trade him at this time...
I did not see the first goal and I agree he did not have much of a chance on the 2nd one but the 3rd one was vintage Johnson.

Also I dont think anyone is burning him for that game alone more like that game and all of last season. I dont think Pleau has much of a choice but to get rid of him, its obvious the team doesnt have much confidence in him.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:55 AM
degroat*

I'm not nearly as concerned about what to do with Johnson as I am with what to do with the position of backup goaltender.

Biron.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:58 AM
blues1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I'm not nearly as concerned about what to do with Johnson as I am with what to do with the position of backup goaltender.

Biron.
I would love to get Biron I just dont see that happening.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Besides the question of how to get Biron, I'm not sure he'll be happy being the backup this season behind Osgood. He's had a taste of the #1 spot, I think he wants to be the #1 no questions asked.

Depends on what scenario you play out post-CBA. If you say Osgood would definitely be gone and Biron would be the #1, I'd say OK. If you say Osgood could still be here (i.e. Blues win the Cup) and Biron might have a chance to compete for the #1 spot, I'd say forget it.

Either way, Johnson's confidence is clearly shot. The team doesn't have confidence in him, he doesn't have confidence in himself, and the fundamental mistakes he's making now are the same ones he made last year when he regressed. I know it would be nice to get something for him in a deal, but if you can't fill your needs via trading him, see if he clears waivers and if he doesn't that's OK - if he does, let him play at Worcester until he either gets his head on straight or plays out this season.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:06 AM
c-carp

I already tossed out my quality backup ie Mclennan amd a pick proposal. he would be perfect for this situation if you could get him. He knows he is a backup has a good attitiude about it and would nnot rock the boat.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:40 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
I wonder what price boucher would come at, or maybe a jussi markanen?

Old
10-22-2003, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
All reports are that Divis is playing fine, it's the rest of the team that's blowing chunks right now. Divis gives up his share of rebounds so he needs defenseman that can clear the puck. Right now most of our good defensemen are either hurt or in St. Louis.

Sanford was away for the birth of his son (Landon Alexander Regis Sanford, 8lbs 7oz and is 21" tall) but is as far as I know back with the team and expected to start either Friday vs Springfield or Saturday vs Portland.

Closed Thread