HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Impact Thread: Game 3 ----> Montreal Expos @ NY Yankees

Old
01-30-2017, 07:38 PM
ArtPeur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan11 View Post
So he paid 40 million for the team in 2012 and 5 years later its worth 135 million and selling out most games and he's still complaining!
A few years ago, Legendre admitted that to make the team profitable, they would need to sell 18k+ tickets each game (or something like that). Drogba helped a lot for the last "two" years but it's likely not enough yet. If the team has one of the lowest payroll in the League, I wonder about our ticket prices. Are we also the lowest or is it average?

ArtPeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
That doesn't mean it's profitable though. If he were to sell the team, I guess he'd turn in a profit.
We've had this argument on several occasions on the BOH subforum. A franchise is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. Rationally speaking, if a club isn't profitable, it's worth nothing. I also don't see anyone else in Montreal buying that club. Saputo is the only business individual who ever cared for soccer in Montreal. Plus with the MLS rules where franchises are essentially the leagues' property, it's either this team pans out or we are Chivas USA 2.0.

We may sell out but we have one of the smallest stadiums in the league combined with some of the cheapest prices. This isn't a recipe for success at all.

Stanley Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 07:57 PM
Michelangelo

vCash: 50
Yet we were 8th out of 20 in terms of average attendance?

Michelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 08:25 PM
My Velouria
roygbiv

Ok the clip I heard came from the December post-portem conference with Adam Braz and Joey Cheaputo.

Quote:
Over the Impact’s first five years in the league Saputo disclosed over $100m had been invested in the club and that as a business it was still not making a profit.
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/saputo-braz...uture-1.628207

I listened to a bit of the press conference and he reiterated a few times that the team just doesn't have the means to spend like certain other teams (i.e. Toronto). So yeah... I don't expect his "cheapness" to change anytime soon. Honestly, I really don't care how much/little he spends as long as he's able to assemble a good team.

My Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 08:36 PM
penaltykiller

Actually , Saputo spoke today , you can find it here. http://www.985sports.ca/em/les-amate...-sports-3.html

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 09:15 PM
My Velouria
roygbiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by penaltykiller View Post
Actually , Saputo spoke today , you can find it here. http://www.985sports.ca/em/les-amate...-sports-3.html
Ah, thank you! That's exactly the clip I heard.

edit: Actually, no.. I don't think this is the clip I heard. Or maybe it was? I don't know. My brain was so burnt today.

Last edited by My Velouria: 01-30-2017 at 09:23 PM.
My Velouria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 09:33 PM
JunglePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Sangria View Post
Oh yah you're absolutely right! De Santis has never shown to have connections in Argentina . What a stupid comment.

EDIT: We have four Argentinians who can be in our starting 11!!
and? so does Atlanta, FC Dallas. What's your point? we have a complete team with depth, Ha.

JunglePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 09:55 PM
gelu88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPeur View Post
A few years ago, Legendre admitted that to make the team profitable, they would need to sell 18k+ tickets each game (or something like that). Drogba helped a lot for the last "two" years but it's likely not enough yet. If the team has one of the lowest payroll in the League, I wonder about our ticket prices. Are we also the lowest or is it average?
hmm??

We are middle to upper third in payroll. It's low right now since we signed noone over the winter, but after the summer window opens up I expect we'll be top 3rd in overall spending again.

gelu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2017, 11:46 PM
JunglePete

JunglePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 05:34 AM
Luiginho
Captain Saku

Interesting article. 5 years since joining the MLS and the impact is still not profitable.

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie...-un-profit.php

Luiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 09:15 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelu88 View Post
hmm??

We are middle to upper third in payroll. It's low right now since we signed noone over the winter, but after the summer window opens up I expect we'll be top 3rd in overall spending again.
Lol.

So who between LA Galaxy, Toronto, NYCFC, Atlanta and Seattle are we supose to be spending more by the end of the year?

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 09:32 AM
gelu88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax Macioretty View Post
Lol.

So who between LA Galaxy, Toronto, NYCFC, Atlanta and Seattle are we supose to be spending more by the end of the year?
I chose my words carefully. We are a 22 team league, top third means around 7th.

So the answer is none of those teams.

We might be 10th, but I doubt much lower.

Point is we are competitive with the middle or upper tiers. We are not and have never been a cheap team.

gelu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 09:35 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylers Dad View Post
Link?
I couldn't find it online, but I tried to upload the picture a sales rep sent me. I'm sure if you email the impact they will forward it to you.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 10:22 AM
penaltykiller

In the book Soccernomics , one of my favorites ever, they have a chapter on the " paradox of investment" among pro sports team owners. This is the dilemma between turning a profit and having a winning team on the field.

The reason is simple. One way to make a profit is to cut spending. What is the biggest expense when you own a sports team? Player's salaries. If you cut the salaries. your team will most likely be bad. If your team is bad, nobody will care for it and you won't make any money. Think of the 1994 Expos that traded everyone instead of keeping the potential dynasty that they had.

The author says that owners should see their team as a long investment. Think of Gillett who bought the Habs around 2001 and sold it back to the Molson family and made a lot of money.

Saputo is kind of stuck since the Impact is his baby and has not intention to sell so he'll have to live with loses, at least in the short term.

https://www.amazon.ca/Soccernomics-E...s=soccernomics

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 11:36 AM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by penaltykiller View Post
In the book Soccernomics , one of my favorites ever, they have a chapter on the " paradox of investment" among pro sports team owners. This is the dilemma between turning a profit and having a winning team on the field.

The reason is simple. One way to make a profit is to cut spending. What is the biggest expense when you own a sports team? Player's salaries. If you cut the salaries. your team will most likely be bad. If your team is bad, nobody will care for it and you won't make any money. Think of the 1994 Expos that traded everyone instead of keeping the potential dynasty that they had.

The author says that owners should see their team as a long investment. Think of Gillett who bought the Habs around 2001 and sold it back to the Molson family and made a lot of money.

Saputo is kind of stuck since the Impact is his baby and has not intention to sell so he'll have to live with loses, at least in the short term.

https://www.amazon.ca/Soccernomics-E...s=soccernomics
I read the book too. The argument is that sports team are mostly an expense (aka a toy for rich boys) and should be treated as such. If you seek to make money with the team's operations, we are likely in the wrong business. As you said, increasing franchise value AND peripheral revenus are what is interesting about having sports team - never forget how much you can leverage your sports property to help your other businesses (that's mainly why Bell owns part of the Leafs and Habs, Rodgers part of MLSE and the Jays and why Videotron is looking into acquiring a team in Quebec City).

One thing they also argue is that exhorbitant transfer fees are stupid, but having high wages is important (which implies get players on the cheap, raise their value and then keep them until someone is willing to give you an amount over your valuation of the asset and then sell them for a profit and rince/repeat - they actually give the OL example).

They also argue that making your players feel at home and helping them AND THEIR FAMILIES be happy in their new city is SUPER important. Help them get settle. Help them network with other people. Help their WIVES build a social circle, etc. Make sure their head is on football and not on their loved ones being miserable.

They also say that coaching is highly overrated, at least tactically speaking. Managers have to manage people essentially. Listen to them, nurture them and put them in a position to succeed. And that's where "hiring" becomes very important. You need to get the right PEOPLE that will fit in the team so their output and the output of those around them will be maximized. On that front, we have generally done pretty well. A team is more than the sum of its parts - and that's what people obsessed with DP and salary figures seem to forget.

Basically, this book is just "business common sense 101" (proper asset valuation, HR management, etc). Very interesing if you don't understand **** about business (like most GMs in sports), but if you have a business background, it is a big "duh!" Still an interesting read as it gives you business insight from a soccer point of view.

When you look at HIGHLY successful organizations in sports, that's generally how they operate (and well, especially in soccer, they also have a ******** more money than anyone so when the right managers/decision makers become available, they can hire them).

Last edited by Scandale du Jour: 01-31-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Scandale du Jour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Emanresu Wen

My bosnian homeboy Medunjanin just signed with Philly

6'1 holding midfielder, captained the bosnian national team a few times recently

Emanresu Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 04:08 PM
Tylers Dad
Registered Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I couldn't find it online, but I tried to upload the picture a sales rep sent me. I'm sure if you email the impact they will forward it to you.
I looked it up and I only saw the Cloud 9 package for the 2016 season

Tylers Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 05:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
My bosnian homeboy Medunjanin just signed with Philly

6'1 holding midfielder, captained the bosnian national team a few times recently
Was very good in Spain. Curious how he does.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 06:58 PM
JtotheC

http://www.mlssoccer.com/topic/expan...on-cities-bids

These cities made a formal bid to join the MLS.

JtotheC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 08:00 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Do you guys think US Soccer.could push to throw Canadian teams out of the league at some point?

Scandale du Jour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2017, 10:19 PM
Emanresu Wen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandale du Jour View Post
Do you guys think US Soccer.could push to throw Canadian teams out of the league at some point?

That is a scary thought but I don't think they'll do that. Toronto has been huge for the MLS, Montreal as well, but a bit less, plus our rivalry is very closely followed by every North American soccer fan. Vancouver has rivalry with Portland and Seattle, good publicity there too.

I don't see a 4th Canadian MLS team ever forming and what we have is just perfect

Old
02-01-2017, 05:54 AM
jason2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandale du Jour View Post
I don't think US Soccer would but my fear is the CSA will say all teams must play in the Canadian League.

jason2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2017, 05:55 AM
jason2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu Wen View Post
That is a scary thought but I don't think they'll do that. Toronto has been huge for the MLS, Montreal as well, but a bit less, plus our rivalry is very closely followed by every North American soccer fan. Vancouver has rivalry with Portland and Seattle, good publicity there too.

I don't see a 4th Canadian MLS team ever forming and what we have is just perfect
Toronto has been good not sure if I would say huge same with Montreal the one outcast seem to be Vancouver.

jason2020 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2017, 02:33 PM
BigFatPapa

JGL just signed with AS Vitré (France 4th division)

http://www.lejournaldevitre.fr/28301...-deux-recrues/

Quite a drop from his trial with Stade Rennais (Ligue 1) last November. Best of luck to him

BigFatPapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Emanresu Wen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatPapa View Post
JGL just signed with AS Vitré (France 4th division)

http://www.lejournaldevitre.fr/28301...-deux-recrues/

Quite a drop from his trial with Stade Rennais (Ligue 1) last November. Best of luck to him
He will still make significantly more money in a 4th division euro club than here in the MLS

I have a cousin that has played for a 3rd divison Germany team and then in 2nd division in Austria and he did make low 6 figures (euros)