Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

1290 am - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2017, 11:58 AM
SensibleGuy

vCash: 500
Sadly, we represent a tiny proportion of the listening market. I suspect (fear) that the audience is mostly made up of guys like Ty From Labroquerrie and Ralph In St James.

I have no doubt they all read the forum though...and I imagine Westwood appreciates the (mostly) support he gets here...

I heard a fresh Ty "clone take" the other day. I honestly can't see how it's possible for a human being to be so completely "self-unaware" as that dude is. How can he not recognize on any level what an utter DB he sounds like?? Seems unpossible to me... and yet there's not a hint of irony or anything in his dumb diatribes.

Last edited by SensibleGuy: 02-03-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old
02-03-2017, 12:26 PM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai jet View Post
I'm pretty sure I remember the ratings went up after Toth got hired. Personally I find it more of a fault in a segment of the listeners who can't seem to handle a bit of banter and a different opinion from their's.
they all quite regularly express opinions different from mine. I have no problem with that. Toth is an ass.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 02-03-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: QEP
Old
02-03-2017, 12:28 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I remember the ratings went up after Toth got hired. Personally I find it more of a fault in a segment of the listeners who can't seem to handle a bit of banter and a different opinion from their's..
Lots of people seem to think that, if the guy on the radio doesn't agree with them, that the radio is "bad". Talk radio isn't designed to have everyone agree all the time. Too much there appears to be "Toth disagrees with my thoughts so he's bad" on here. Toth's problems are not really being able to back up his arguments after a bit of prodding, not the points he's making themselves.

I'm more likely to tune in for debate than 3 guys agreeing with themselves all the time. There's a term that's not forum appropriate for that kind of echo chamber.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 02-03-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: QEP
Old
02-03-2017, 01:19 PM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Lots of people seem to think that, if the guy on the radio doesn't agree with them, that the radio is "bad". Talk radio isn't designed to have everyone agree all the time. Too much there appears to be "Toth disagrees with my thoughts so he's bad" on here. Toth's problems are not really being able to back up his arguments after a bit of prodding, not the points he's making themselves.
it's often both...but the not being able to back up his arguments thing is what makes it real annoying.

Old
02-03-2017, 01:52 PM
KurtG8

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I remember the ratings went up after Toth got hired. Personally I find it more of a fault in a segment of the listeners who can't seem to handle a bit of banter and a different opinion from their's. [mod]
My opinion of Toth has Zero to do with me disagreeing with him, he just often sounds like he's arguing with Troy just for the sake of arguing. And he also comes off like a total Dbag. Id love to see the ratings before and after he was hired, i find it hard to believe ratings went up. And like another poster said, i ofter disagree with many of the things that RR or especially Lawless has to say, but i have no issue with them. I think its a bigger segment of fans that dislike him than like him.

Old
02-04-2017, 12:46 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post

I'm more likely to tune in for debate than 3 guys agreeing with themselves all the time. There's a term that's not forum appropriate for that kind of echo chamber.
It is the points. He can't defend them because they are ignorant or ill thought out to begin with. I have no problem with people who can find the holes in my position. That's how I learn. Someone who takes an indefensible position and refuses to accept that he might be wrong is just irritating.

Old
02-04-2017, 01:06 AM
kanadalainen
The spruce returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
It is the points. He can't defend them because they are ignorant or ill thought out to begin with. I have no problem with people who can find the holes in my position. That's how I learn. Someone who takes an indefensible position and refuses to accept that he might be wrong is just irritating.
What it is. I enjoy a healthy disagreement if the antagonist can make a convincing case. No issues with acquiring knowledge and if I'm not fully equipped with data, mea culpa. Just standing your ground with no demonstrable fact base (or shifting ground a la Toth) is sad. And wearisome.

I enjoy Westwood's and Ruiwicki's contributions. Both are far more linear in their presentation and organization. Ruiwicki should host the show, guy is solid as hell.

Last edited by kanadalainen: 02-04-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old
02-04-2017, 04:48 AM
Jets 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadalainen View Post
What it is. I enjoy a healthy disagreement if the antagonist can make a convincing case. No issues with acquiring knowledge and if I'm not fully equipped with data, mea culpa. Just standing your ground with no demonstrable fact base (or shifting ground a la Toth) is sad. And wearisome.

I enjoy Westwood's and Ruiwicki's contributions. Both are far more linear in their presentation and organization. Ruiwicki should host the show, guy is solid as hell.
They should move Rick Ralph to the morning show as host , i would think there is more listeners in the morning than there is at 11 in the morning. Put your best people at the best times , let Toth be on when there are less listeners . I like Hustler but he should go to gamblers anonymous already he spends way to much time on this topic .

Old
02-04-2017, 06:14 AM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets 31 View Post
They should move Rick Ralph to the morning show as host , i would think there is more listeners in the morning than there is at 11 in the morning. Put your best people at the best times , let Toth be on when there are less listeners . I like Hustler but he should go to gamblers anonymous already he spends way to much time on this topic .
agreed. The focus on sports betting is weird afaic...

Old
02-04-2017, 10:13 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

I disagree, I enjoy all the gambling talk. Sports betting represents a large number of sports fans.

Old
02-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!

vCash: 949
People complain endlessly about the warm-up, but its my favorite 1290 show.

Not your normal sports talk, a lot more light-hearted, and dive into weird topics.

The Major League Eating guy coming on and giving us a picture into that world? Love that, and he is able to frame the sport into nice narratives as well.

Old
02-04-2017, 11:08 AM
FFHockey

I can tolerate the hosts/shows for the most part. RR is a keeper for sure always enjoy the banter he and Hnidy have...they are pretty comical. He is 1290's gem.

JT comes across like an arrogant a** most mornings. I appreciate the devil's advocate take but not when you can't back it up. Troy is ok but I think he overstates his hockey knowledge a bit. Rewicki is solid and usually has the best takes while the other 2 bicker away.

I really enjoy H & L most days when I catch them, except when that loser Morency comes on...Hustler's man crush on him makes me want to puke.

I am not by a radio all the time so actually enjoy some of the replays of the shows...I expect I am in the minority though.

Overall, my car radio is usually tuned to 1290 until they talk gambling and Wrestling...then I switch to Sirius.

Old
02-04-2017, 11:12 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
I like: Troy and Brandon, RR, Hustler, H&L (I yell at Lawless because he's so clueless from time to time, but I love the banter between he and Hustler). I don't even mind the TSN talking heads, especially Hnidy - they are what they are.

I can very much do without Toth though. Bleh.

Old
02-04-2017, 11:41 AM
SLAYER
GO JETS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I disagree, I enjoy all the gambling talk. Sports betting represents a large number of sports fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
People complain endlessly about the warm-up, but its my favorite 1290 show.

Not your normal sports talk, a lot more light-hearted, and dive into weird topics.

The Major League Eating guy coming on and giving us a picture into that world? Love that, and he is able to frame the sport into nice narratives as well.
Agree with both of these takes. Love the Warm Up.

Hearts Racin', Cup Chasin'
Old
02-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
This is the truth. Sports betting is a $3 trillion industry worldwide, though the vast majority of it remains "illegal". I've placed maybe a dozen wagers in my lifetime, but I still find it an interesting discussion.

Watch a Sunday Night Football game, Al Michaels will almost always give a wink and a nudge mention to the point spread.

Old
02-04-2017, 12:53 PM
SensibleGuy

I find it dull as can be. Couldn't care less about the betting angle...

Old
02-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Channelcat

Thought Brandon hit on some very good points today, things that have been bugging me since the team came here. Specifically the predictable bed******* we see from this team. We know when they are going to let up, we see the failures coming a mile away. Essentially we have established where the boundaries of success are for this team.

Old
02-06-2017, 09:39 AM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
Thought Brandon hit on some very good points today, things that have been bugging me since the team came here. Specifically the predictable bed******* we see from this team. We know when they are going to let up, we see the failures coming a mile away. Essentially we have established where the boundaries of success are for this team.
yup. It's a pattern and it's pretty discouraging...

Old
02-06-2017, 10:52 AM
lomiller1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I like: Troy and Brandon, RR, Hustler, H&L (I yell at Lawless because he's so clueless from time to time, but I love the banter between he and Hustler). I don't even mind the TSN talking heads, especially Hnidy - they are what they are.

I can very much do without Toth though. Bleh.
RR is good overall but he still annoys me sometimes. He argues against a lot of Strawmen and some of his guests are pretty bad. That said hes still one of the better personalities they have. Only Hustler and (gasp!) Lawless rank above him.

I like Brandon as well. But hes nowhere near as polished on the radio side of things. Westwood has improved a lot over the years but still falls back on excessive use of big words when he isnt sure what hes talking about. They need a genuine broadcast pro working with them and Toth has everything needed on that side of things I just get the impression hes not the brightest bulb on the Xmass tree.

The guy I like a lot thats I think would do well in an expanded role is Walby.

Old
02-06-2017, 01:17 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
I think he has some form of legitimate point to make, he just doesn't know how to do it. He debates like he's heard this second hand and he's trying to repeat what he's heard but can't quite remember everything, so he fills in gaps with his own opinions and that's when it falls apart.

The betting stuff I don't mind, especially on the warm up, but the guy they bring in for it is grating.

Old
02-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Whileee

Lawless is really ripping Buff (and to a lesser degree the rest of the "Atlanta core") on H&L this afternoon.

Honestly, I have been worried about Buff's attitude and play since early this season. He just hasn't seemed nearly as engaged as he was the past two seasons. If the Jets are going to go anywhere, Buff needs to be "on" much more than he has been this season.

Old
02-06-2017, 05:13 PM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Lawless is really ripping Buff (and to a lesser degree the rest of the "Atlanta core") on H&L this afternoon.

Honestly, I have been worried about Buff's attitude and play since early this season. He just hasn't seemed nearly as engaged as he was the past two seasons. If the Jets are going to go anywhere, Buff needs to be "on" much more than he has been this season.
He has his retirement contract. And he doesn't have to worry much about the extra season for most of the time he has left.

Old
02-06-2017, 05:33 PM
MardyBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post

Did he rip Pavelec, or continue to praise him for making the "big saves" and brushing off his weak goals?

Old
02-06-2017, 05:36 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardyBum View Post
Did he rip Pavelec, or continue to praise him for making the "big saves" and brushing off his weak goals?
Hasn't talked about him from what I've heard. At the very least his Buff comments should hopefully put to bed the "media is just saying what TNSE is telling them to" theory, but I doubt that.

Old
02-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardyBum View Post
Talked at some length about how Pavs has come in and brought confidence with his "big saves". Nauseating, really. Amazing that he's so happy with an 0.894 goalie as his #1.

Closed Thread