Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

1290 am - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2017, 09:23 AM
broinwhyteridge

vCash: 50
Toth essentially cant listen to the show this morning because of his "logic". Holy smokes....

I cant imagine that Westwood doesnt get migraines before coming into work every morning.

Old
02-07-2017, 10:03 AM
kanadalainen
The spruce returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
Toth essentially cant listen to the show this morning because of his "logic". Holy smokes....

I cant imagine that Westwood doesnt get migraines before coming into work every morning.
This.

Today was a very weak show by Toth. His points are sometimes just fine (controversial) but he tends to back-slide and shift ground when challenged, stating "I didn't say that", "not what I meant".... just so bad. He loses all credibility with this lightweight approach.

Old
02-07-2017, 10:08 AM
kanadalainen
The spruce returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
"I'm not saying this is what I'm saying but I'm just saying I'm saying this is what I'm saying."

something something confidence something.
O my gosh, Toth. Please buddy, give your brain a chance.

Old
02-07-2017, 10:41 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

At the sake of getting flagged for piling on I find Jim frustrating. For some reason he seems to always want to take on the role of the TNSE apologist, "SPECULATE" why they are doing something then defend his speculation like he is debating for the Jets. Jim here's an idea, just give your opinion about the topic and defend your opinion.

I'm just saying this could be why they are doing it gets really tired....so does the "I have been around the Jets and you haven't" passive aggressive appeal to authority Schtick which is not nessesary.

Old
02-07-2017, 11:47 AM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadalainen View Post
This.

Today was a very weak show by Toth. His points are sometimes just fine (controversial) but he tends to back-slide and shift ground when challenged, stating "I didn't say that", "not what I meant".... just so bad. He loses all credibility with this lightweight approach.
"I'm not saying it, it's my opinion of what's happening."

So you're saying it then.

"It's a process." Say that about 50 times an hour.

Old
02-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I don't buy the the overlord thing. The media had no issue throwing the org's goalie of the future under a bus. You'd think if TNSE had anywhere near as much say they would never have let that happen considering they believe in that kid enough to demote Pavs in the first place.

This isn't knee for the media they've adequate excuses for Pavs for years and have always been high on his flashy saves.
I agree.

Those who pay attention to stats (Rewucki, Westwood, Hustler) seem perfectly willing to trash Pavelec. And Maurice's decision to keep playing him.

Those who don't pay attention to stats (Toth, Beyak, Lawless seems to have a loose grasp on them) defend Pavs more. They're more prone to be dazzled by those flashy saves. Beyak in particular gets real excited about them. I like him as a pbp guy, but he's a terrible analyst.

To someone who knows nothing about goaltending technique, and also ignores / doesn't understand stats, Pavs can easily look like the better goalie.

Old
02-08-2017, 06:53 AM
SensibleGuy

Man, Toth has nothing to go on aside from post game comments made by the players and coach. He's constantly basing his position on stupid little comments made after games to the media...as though those ever actually mean anything. Today he says he "knows enough to know when they are saying what they really mean." Lol... "And to me it goes back to what Paul maurice said after the game when he said 'we want to win more games.' I think he's a coach who wants to win more games and that's his primary goal and I think Chevy knows he wants to win more games."

Old
02-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Do or Die

What we really mean, is that we think we want to win more games.....

Old
02-08-2017, 09:19 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!

vCash: 949
Thats weird to me. I put very little stock in what a coach says.

And less than zero stock into what your average player says

Old
02-08-2017, 09:41 AM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Thats weird to me. I put very little stock in what a coach says.

And less than zero stock into what your average player says
well yeah...I mean nobody does. But he constantly refers to those sorts of comments as though he's receiving one on one deep interview info or something...

Old
02-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Gil Fisher

in 10 seconds this morning on CITI FM, they nailed Jets analysis better than 1290 ever has.

guy 1: So has Pav's hot streak worn out?
guy 2: never was one
guy 3: he's been bad the whole time
guy 1: then why was he up?
guy 2:
guy 3: to light a fire under the players *****?
guy 1: helluva a fire ya got going there Jets!

Old
02-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Duke749
Formerly "BigTuna49"

vCash: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
in 10 seconds this morning on CITI FM, they nailed Jets analysis better than 1290 ever has.

guy 2:

Old
02-08-2017, 10:39 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:

guy 2:
LOL! Bang on!

Old
02-09-2017, 06:49 AM
SensibleGuy

this goaltending debate happening now on the BS is just remarkable. Toth is just saying stuff. I mean he's literally talking in circles and saying stuff that doesn't make sense. He's arguing so hard against Westwoods notion that there might have been something attitude related going on with Helly and I don't know why...he just can't allow the idea to persist and its so stupid! lol...he talks about how they were just working on some technical element of helly's game - like we're talking about some sort of machine where you take it off the line and replace a widget and then put it back in action all fixed up. Toth! Can't you just say "Sure, we don't really know what was up. Maybe it was attitude or something..."

Rewicki - "Let's just move on now guys..."

Old
02-09-2017, 07:31 AM
Briscodog

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....The morning show is unlistenable. I will not turn it on. And here's the problem.....I'm a 44 year old male with season seats, no kids, who drives around in his truck all day, with loads of disposable income. I'm the guy that TSN 1290 and it's advertisers should covet as a listener. But until Bell injects some money into this station to get some proper on-air talent I won't listen or support their advertisers.

And it's the same on the TV side. TSN has the local rights to Ottawa's games and those viewers get a live panel from Toronto for pregame and intermissions. What does Winnipeg get? Some canned features on which Jets like Lady Gaga or Thorburn scooping zebra sh** at the zoo. Bell does as little as possible and just spends the minimum required.

Old
02-09-2017, 07:47 AM
lomiller1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briscodog View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again.....The morning show is unlistenable. I will not turn it on.
I think you are missing some of the best entertainment going.

Old
02-09-2017, 07:52 AM
doogie5

Every morning it's the same crap with the positive spins. They need to switch it up with rick ralph.

CJOB it is

Old
02-09-2017, 09:28 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:

guy 2:
The 30 seconds I listened to that joker it was about Vince Li and I had to shut it off, Wheeler is awful.

Old
02-09-2017, 12:39 PM
MikeRahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie5 View Post
Every morning it's the same crap with the positive spins. They need to switch it up with rick ralph.

CJOB it is
I think it was Rick Ralph this morning who was saying yeah Pavelec hasn't been putting up great stats but he got some W's and that is what counts.

Pavelec hasn't won when the team has scored less than 4 goals, Helle was 15-2-1 when they score 3 or more.

I guess the arugment he is making is that he isn't letting in soft goals (which is a lie) to demoralize the team... but how demoralizing does it have to be to KNOW you have to score 4 goals to put up a win? If we were back in the early 80s where the GAA was in the upper 3's that's not bad... but when the average teams GAA is at 2.61... that's not great.

Old
02-09-2017, 01:05 PM
wizzer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRahl View Post
I think it was Rick Ralph this morning who was saying yeah Pavelec hasn't been putting up great stats but he got some W's and that is what counts.

Pavelec hasn't won when the team has scored less than 4 goals, Helle was 15-2-1 when they score 3 or more.

I guess the arugment he is making is that he isn't letting in soft goals (which is a lie) to demoralize the team... but how demoralizing does it have to be to KNOW you have to score 4 goals to put up a win? If we were back in the early 80s where the GAA was in the upper 3's that's not bad... but when the average teams GAA is at 2.61... that's not great.
Was Beyak

Old
02-09-2017, 10:13 PM
blues10

You guys and gals should just do yourselves a big favour and turn off 1290 for the Big Show. Since I quit listening to 1290 before work and on the drive in my day is off to a much better start. Two minutes of Toth is two minute too many.

When he is eventually canned I will give it a try again.

I like the banter on H&L. Lawless today mentioned that an NHL executive told him Chevy has not been addressing the Jets weaknesses. SHHHHH.. dont't tell Beyak, Edmonds or Munz. I turn off 1290 when those guys come on for their paid advertising infomercial in support of anything TNSE related. Media bias at its worst.

Old
02-09-2017, 10:51 PM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

I was listening to this interview of the Bruins President Cam Neely after the Julien firing and you should too. The interviewers tear Neely a new one, ask hard questions, call him out on the bad trades, lack of plan and lack of transparency. Every one please listen to atleast a part of it to see what real journalism looks like

Can you imagine any member of the media the covers the Jets doing an interview like this?

Old
02-09-2017, 10:55 PM
Gnova
CowboysR^2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckatron 3000 View Post
I agree.

Those who pay attention to stats (Rewucki, Westwood, Hustler) seem perfectly willing to trash Pavelec. And Maurice's decision to keep playing him.

Those who don't pay attention to stats (Toth, Beyak, Lawless seems to have a loose grasp on them) defend Pavs more. They're more prone to be dazzled by those flashy saves. Beyak in particular gets real excited about them. I like him as a pbp guy, but he's a terrible analyst.

To someone who knows nothing about goaltending technique, and also ignores / doesn't understand stats, Pavs can easily look like the better goalie.
Do you think these guys are actually providing their true opinions? They all have a role to play in order to create discussions for people to listen to.

Old
02-09-2017, 11:24 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
I was listening to this interview of the Bruins President Cam Neely after the Julien firing and you should too. The interviewers tear Neely a new one, ask hard questions, call him out on the bad trades, lack of plan and lack of transparency. Every one please listen to atleast a part of it to see what real journalism looks like

Can you imagine any member of the media the covers the Jets doing an interview like this?
They haven't for 5 and 1/2 years so I don't expect it to start now. That was good listening. Wish we had some of that around here. All we get here is media lapping up the process. I assume it would be Chipman himself answering the questions as our Front Office is a tad bit on the thin side and we don't have a Team President. Perhaps Sr. Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Craig Heisinger could field the tough questions.

I would tune into the Big show again if Toth and Westwood were asking Senior Jets management questions like that.

I respect Neely for taking the hard ball questions and the media for delivering them.

Old
02-10-2017, 12:26 AM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Do you think these guys are actually providing their true opinions? They all have a role to play in order to create discussions for people to listen to.
Mostly, I'd say yes. The only guy who I think stirs things up a bit, just for the sake of doing so, is Lawless.

For the most part, I don't think you need to lie to create interesting discussion about the Jets. There's a lot to talk about. I mean, look at how many thousands of new posts pop up here every week. I don't think too many of us are trolling. Maybe a few.

But I would agree that having some difference in opinion makes for good radio. You wouldn't want two guys with the exact same opinion agreeing on everything. The problem with the morning show is that you tend to have 2 guys who are at least well informed (Westwood, Rewucki), arguing with someone who generally isn't (Toth). I think if Toth was making stuff up just for the sake of debate, he'd stick to his guns a little more.

I don't mind Toth as a radio personality. I don't like him at all in any sort of analysis on the Jets.

Closed Thread