HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rozsival, Poti & Strudwick

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2006, 09:01 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Rozsival, Poti & Strudwick

Kasper, Toots & Malik are guaranteed to be half of our 6 defensemen next year. The question now comes for the other three spots. You would think that Strudwick will be replaced. However, I fear that Roszsival's distorted stats will lead the Rangers to resign him. And I am not quite sure that Sather is over his Poti fixation to let him go.
IMO, there is simply no way that the Rangers can enter next year with two of those 3 in the lineup. I would say no to all three, but that is too much to hope for. I think that Sather will make a run at one of Chara, Redden, McCabe, Jovo, Kaberle. I think that Staal will make a bid to be one of the defensemen. And for players like Pock & Lampman, if they cannot make the team next year, then when?
I am not sure that Liffiton or Taylor will be NHL ready next year. And it does not seem like Baranka will be in next year's plans. Sauer is two years away.
So how does it shake out? Will Sather resign both Poti & Rozsival, try to sign a UFA defenseman and send Staal back to junirs? Will he not resign alll 3, leaving room for not only a UFA, but also for several youngsters? Or will he resign one of Rozsival or Poti, make a run at a UFA and have one of Staal or Pock be given a real chance?

Old
02-02-2006, 09:04 AM
NYR469

i'd keep strudwick but as a 7th dman (like he should be this year)...he's great in the lockerroom and is a solid depth guy.

poti and roszival can go...

i think marc staal will be in ny next year and my fingers are crossed that ivan baranka makes the jump too...so that leaves 1 spot open to target one of the quality free agents.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:06 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
i'd keep strudwick but as a 7th dman (like he should be this year)...he's great in the lockerroom and is a solid depth guy.

i think marc staal will be in ny next year and my fingers are crossed that ivan baranka makes the jump too...so that leaves 1 spot open to target one of the quality free agents.
I agree, however I just do not see Sather not bringing back all three. I agree on having Strudwick as a 7th defenseman is a good idea. However, in addittion to that I just cannot see a scenario in which Sather does not bring back at least one of Rozsival or Poti.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Many people are convinced Rachunek is a lock for next year as well.

Jagr may ask/insist that Rozsival is kept on.

Hard to imagine Sather parting with Poti.

Don't forget Martin Richter.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:17 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Jagr may ask/insist that Rozsival is kept on.

Hard to imagine Sather parting with Poti.
That is basically my fear. This is supposed to be rebuilding, but I can very easily see a scenario in which both Rozsival and Poti are both brought back, leaving only one spot for a youngster. Or if UFA is signed, no open spots at all.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:19 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I agree, however I just do not see Sather not bringing back all three. I agree on having Strudwick as a 7th defenseman is a good idea. However, in addittion to that I just cannot see a scenario in which Sather does not bring back at least one of Rozsival or Poti.
roszival will be a RFA so it'll be easy to keep him...but there are some really good dmen available so i'm looking at it more in terms of upgrading the blueline, not looking to get rid of him.

plus one big problem i have with our blueline this year is that we have guys (malik & roszival) who have no business being a top pair playing as a top pair...and while i give them tons of create for playing over their heads and doing a real good job all things considered. but replacing him with a legit top pair guy helps everyone cause it pushes other guys down into more suitable positions...plus you could make the blueline tougher.

of course thats all assuming that some of those dmen would want to come here...

Old
02-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
That is basically my fear. This is supposed to be rebuilding, but I can very easily see a scenario in which both Rozsival and Poti are both brought back, leaving only one spot for a youngster. Or if UFA is signed, no open spots at all.
But, the organziation doesn't seem like they're real high on Pock, they obvously fell out of love with Kondratiev and Lampman's days with organization are effectively over. Other than Baranka, who's threating to earn a spot next year? If they didn't leave a spot this year, when several players seemed poised to make the team, they're not going to leave a spot coming into next year.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:33 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
But, the organziation doesn't seem like they're real high on Pock, they obvously fell out of love with Kondratiev and Lampman's days with organization are effectively over. Other than Baranka, who's threating to earn a spot next year? If they didn't leave a spot this year, when several players seemed poised to make the team, they're not going to leave a spot coming into next year.
You would think that Baranka would be ready. And you would also think that Staal would be given a chance. Judging by the year he is having in juniors, he has not nothing to prove there next year.
As for Pock, I agree. It is rather bizarre how the kid is not even given a chance. Here is someone who made the AHL all-star team and is not even being given a thought

Old
02-02-2006, 09:34 AM
True Blue

Quote:
roszival will be a RFA so it'll be easy to keep him...but there are some really good dmen available so i'm looking at it more in terms of upgrading the blueline, not looking to get rid of him.
It may be easy, but is it worth it?

Old
02-02-2006, 11:17 AM
NYR469

Quote:
It may be easy, but is it worth it?
i think its definitely worth it...IF you can get the right guy.

first just to make sure i'm being clear, when i said free agent dmen, i am NOT talking about someone like brian leetch. there are several guys in the 27-29 year old age range potentially available that could be brought in as part of the defense for the next 5 years...

and even more important than the immediate improvement it would have on the defense, from a rebuild standpoint it also will greatly help the development of the young dmen cause then everyone gets paired with a different vet. i mean thinking of marc staal, how much easier would it make his transition to the pro game if he could be paired with someone like chara or jovanovski as opposed to being forced to play with poti or strudwick?? so by upgrading the veterans on the blueline you are helping out the kids too.

and also my plan is to remove 3 vets and bring back 1, so i'm still leaving spots open for kids. i'm 1000% against keeping our current vets and then signing a free agent cause that would take spots away from kids, so removing some current guys is required before bringing anyone else in...

and the same applies up front too...there are forwards available either as free agents or trades that would improve the team both short term and long term, but going after them should go hand-in-hand with some of the current veterans moving out...

Old
02-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
i mean thinking of marc staal, how much easier would it make his transition to the pro game if he could be paired with someone like chara or jovanovski as opposed to being forced to play with poti or strudwick?? so by upgrading the veterans on the blueline you are helping out the kids too.
I don't know what you know about Jovanovski, but he's certainly not easy to play with

Old
02-02-2006, 11:25 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31-
I don't know what you know about Jovanovski, but he's certainly not easy to play with
easier than playing with poti...but either way i just thru him out as an example cause he's a ufa. i'm not saying he'd be the guy and he wouldn't be my top choice either...but there are 8-9 quality guys that would be tremendous upgrades over poti/roszival.

Old
02-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
easier than playing with poti...
I disagree but whatever

Old
02-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Bretzky*

Staal is a lock for next year.

Old
02-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Unlike most of you here, I actually like Rozsival! I think he plays better D than Poti and Strudwick...and lately has played better defensively too!

I would keep Rozsival and get rid of Poti and Strudwick! My pairs for next season:

Chara - Staal
Rozsival - Malik
Tyutin - Kasparaitis

7th D: Baranka or Pock

Old
02-02-2006, 12:21 PM
eco's bones

Strudwick is not bad in the sense that you can use him as a fill-in at forward although you could do the same with a younger Weller. I think first they'll make a run at the high profile guys and then decide from there. I also think Lampman is done with us. As for Baranka and Staal they'll need to come in at 210-215. That will improve their chances. With Staal that might be all he needs to do. Rachunek could complicate the issue. I don't particularly care for his alleged commentary when he decided to go back to Europe. I'd as soon trade his rights. Richter??? On Roszival and/or Poti again I think they'll wait until the big name D's are gone. I think they like Roszival with Malik. And he probably won't cost a lot. All of this is still a bit off in the distance.

Old
02-02-2006, 12:23 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1
Unlike most of you here, I actually like Rozsival! I think he plays better D than Poti and Strudwick...and lately has played better defensively too!

I would keep Rozsival and get rid of Poti and Strudwick! My pairs for next season:

Chara - Staal
Rozsival - Malik
Tyutin - Kasparaitis

7th D: Baranka or Pock
That wouldn't be bad except I think Ottawa tries to resign Chara before Redden.

Old
02-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
That wouldn't be bad except I think Ottawa tries to resign Chara before Redden.

then we get Redden

Old
02-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
Richter???
In case you missed it eco's, http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=216715

Old
02-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Rozsival is on pace for 6G, 22A, 28P, 90 PIM, and +39. If he keeps it up, he's a lock coming back for stats alone.

Poti I think will go unless he'd take a huge paycut. His salary + 2M more brings a player twice his worth.

Strudwick leaves, IMO, unless he has a huge playoff or something.

Old
02-02-2006, 01:17 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:

Agree 100%. I have a feeling that he'll being keeping Poti and Rosival though. Hopefully Poti gets dealt at the deadline to nix that problem.

Old
02-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Fletch

Lock on stats alone?

What if I told you there may be a guy also can be out there with Jagr for a majority of his even strength shifts and he could be better offensively? If Rozsival spent the majority of his time playing with Moore's line and Betts' line, his numbers, including his +/-, would look a lot different. So replacing him would be assuming that one thinks there's a better offensive option to play when Jagr's out there, whether from within, or outside the organization.

Old
02-02-2006, 01:24 PM
GarretJoseph*

We have one of the best defense's in the league!! why make any changes if we keep this up? Sure, if you can move Strudwick to the 7th D-man and get a Chara, I'll do that. But Rozsival has been playing great as of late.

Poti, I dunno. I like him one week, I hate him the next. My mind isn't made up on him.

I'd like to see this however..

Staal, Kaspar, Chara, Tyutin, Rozsival, Malik

Let Poti walk only if you get Chara.

Strudwick = 7th Dman/ 4th line winger.

Old
02-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Evgeny Oliker

I'd like to see this however..

Staal, Kaspar, Chara, Tyutin, Rozsival, Malik

Let Poti walk only if you get Chara.
.[/QUOTE]

thats the same top 6 I just posted...you got it sir!

Old
02-02-2006, 01:34 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph
We have one of the best defense's in the league!!
YIKES!!!

Closed Thread