HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

GDT: Philadelphia Flyers @ Buffalo Sabres, Feb 2nd, 7:00pm

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2006, 08:40 PM
erin07

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheIce
i think it is a skill problem

brash, stevenson, savage not so much

i like eager but not a goal scorer

i like kappy, but he is hurting bad

richards and zeus are great, but not goal scorers

i mean seriously pitkanen is the second most skilled guy on the team

we have a deep team, yes. but without foppa, scoring is lagging
good points but i think skill wise we have enough to get it done ,why not put a shooter with zeus and richards if kappy is hurting put him on ir these are all coaching decisions.i still see hitch trying to use zeus to shut down or defend and its not working.

Old
02-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
It's not a coaching problem.

This team is in a funk, all teams go through funks. They really need to learn to win without Forsberg though. Hopefully a trade is in the works, because the group of players that was on the ice tonight can't get it done night in and night out. And Niittymaki needs to play.
I agree, Doc. These injuries have been brutal for the Flyers, and a little tweak is all they need. Nedved made two or three heady passes to a wide open Gagne early on, but they didn't get anything else from the rest of the lineup.

Speaking of Gagne, I love that guy. When I was a rook on these boards, I argued that he was one dimensional. While I more than likely was just arguing for the sake of having an argument (that happens when you're the youngest of five boys), I get reminded about how stupid my claims were every time I see him play. I love Richards, too. People want to compare Zach Parise and Thomas Vanek, but Richards vs. Parise is a much better comparison. I think Richards>>>Parise.

Back to topic, I think you have to write off Primeau for the season. Brash is going to kill you guys as the season goes on. I almost wonder what a pair of guys in STL would do for the Flyers: Drake and Cajanek. Just a thought off the top of my head.

Old
02-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
And while we're complaining about who stinks, Esche stinks too
Esche has become Brian Boucher v2.0. Fitting that they were traded for each other. Excellent first years as starters, then a regression the next year and total lack of consistency.

Old
02-02-2006, 08:43 PM
erin07

Quote:
Huh? Brashear didn't get a new contract this year.

They haven't been playing poorly for a month.

I don't. With all the injuries lately, Hitch is doing the best he can. It's not his fault Brian Savage, Donald Brashear, and Chris Therien are on the team and are completely useless.
they havnt played a complete game for almost a month,and unless clarkie is calling lines down from above its hitchs decision who plays where and when if brash is on the ice for 3 goals against you would think after the first two they may sit him.i just dont think hitch has changed his style with the new game

Old
02-02-2006, 08:44 PM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
i think it is a skill problem...we have a deep team, yes. but without foppa, scoring is lagging
I agree. Watching the game tonight it's hard to see where a Philly goal is supposed to come from. It gets dumped in deep and everyone scrambles after it.

The Flyers have never been super tight defensively this season - but they were winning games because if the other team scored 3 they could score 4. Without Forsberg to dictate the attacks that game plan no longer works.

Old
02-02-2006, 08:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost
Checkmonik

are you serious?

Old
02-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Drop The Gloves

Good Game tonight guys. Don't let the trolls give you a bad impression of us Sabres fans!

Old
02-02-2006, 08:45 PM
BloodOnTheIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin07
good points but i think skill wise we have enough to get it done ,why not put a shooter with zeus and richards if kappy is hurting put him on ir these are all coaching decisions.i still see hitch trying to use zeus to shut down or defend and its not working.
i agree, why not put a shooter with zeus and richards

but who is that shooter?

we only have one gagne

carter could be someday, but he just doesnt seem ready, and can't hack wing

that is my whole point.
name the shooters

1. gagne

2. ...? can Pitkanen play wing?

Old
02-02-2006, 08:47 PM
erin07

Quote:
i agree, why not put a shooter with zeus and richards

but who is that shooter?

we only have one gagne

carter could be someday, but he just doesnt seem ready, and can't hack wing

that is my whole point.
name the shooters

1. gagne

2. ...? can Pitkanen play wing?
i may be one of the only ones who thinks given enough ice time carter can score if hes given clearance to play the offensive game,umberger could also fill the role but why put savage with richards and brash but lets face it unless a blockbuster trade happens were stuck with savage,brash,stevenson

Old
02-02-2006, 08:56 PM
BloodOnTheIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin07
i may be one of the only ones who thinks given enough ice time carter can score if hes given clearance to play the offensive game,umberger could also fill the role but why put savage with richards and brash
carter could yes, wicked shot, as soon as he learns to put it on net.
but yes carter has the ability to be a goal scorer. I just don't think he is this year

umberger, might be a strech. he is more of a knuble that relies on their line mates. More of a mucker. Will get goals, but has to work extra hard.
While that is all good, a person that has to work extra hard to score is not the guy that can be relied on for those clutch need-to-score-now goals.

I am talking a guy defined as a goal scorer. I still count only one.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:02 PM
blueandgold*

We almost let you back in....

I think we're better and faster... but your guys didn't skate very hard tonite.....

Plus we have your number at HSBC.....

On to Ottawa

Old
02-02-2006, 09:05 PM
FearTheFlyers

Give a shout out to all the Sabres fan who can take a win graciously, which seems to me the big majority.

I like your team this year and hope you can win that division.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:06 PM
sansan

Zus can score goals. He's a 20 goal scorer if he's put into an offensive role. He was doing pretty well playing on Richards wing at the begining of the season. Since that's not going to happen again this year with Primeau out the Flyers need to get a winger to play with Richards who is definitely more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. For now, they just need to hang on and hope for the best. Tough to stomach now, but I have a feeling things will get better after the olympic break.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:15 PM
BloodOnTheIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan
Zus can score goals. He's a 20 goal scorer if he's put into an offensive role. He was doing pretty well playing on Richards wing at the begining of the season. Since that's not going to happen again this year with Primeau out the Flyers need to get a winger to play with Richards who is definitely more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. For now, they just need to hang on and hope for the best. Tough to stomach now, but I have a feeling things will get better after the olympic break.
zeus is solid and pots some, he is one of the best two way forwards in the game. but he is not a goal scorer.

and the line that it is because he isn't playing with Richards doesn't work with me

goal scorers find ways to score goals no matter who they play with.

sure, zeus might have a few more had he been used more offensively, but he is not the scoring difference we lack

Last edited by BloodOnTheIce: 02-02-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old
02-02-2006, 09:17 PM
sansan

Quote:
zeus is solid an pots some, he is one of the best two way forwards in the game. but he is not a goal scorer.

and the line that it is because he isn't playing with Richards doesn't work with me

goal scorers find ways to score goals no matter who they play with.

sure, zeus might have a few more had he been used more offensively, but he is not the scoring difference we lack
Let's wait and see who Clarke gets to solve this problem.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Rex88

The difference to me was the D -
The Sabres D pinched at every opportunity and still covered their end - a great game for them.
The Flyers essentially went with 4 and Pitts was out of gas midway through the third - he was coasting all over the place. Not that I blame Hitch as who wants Bundy on the ice.
Miller is very good - and Roy was excellent as well.
Solid game from the Sabres.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Drop The Gloves

Once you get Forsberg back, you guys will be ok.

Old
02-02-2006, 09:30 PM
BloodOnTheIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Gloves
Once you get Forsberg back, you guys will be ok.
thats the problem

we rely too much on one guy

Old
02-02-2006, 09:37 PM
sansan

Do you think we would have won this game if Forsberg was in the lineup?

Old
02-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan
Do you think we would have won this game if Forsberg was in the lineup?
I honestly don't think so. As stated earlier, there was no balance in the Flyers lineup tonight. The Sabres out-skated the O&B from top to bottom. The dpeth in the Philly lineup didn't show.

Old
02-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Huh? Brashear didn't get a new contract this year.
No, but he's played like a dog since he got the deal he's on now. The guy was feared and could chip in a bit. Now, he's a complete waste of a roster space. No effort, no emotion... At $1.7 million a year, expecting a little of either might make for a nice change of pace. In the half-dozen or so Flyer games I've seen this year, he has made zero positive difference for the team

02-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Pretty disappointing for my first ever live Flyers game. The boys were flat, couldn't generate offense and didn't get any calls their way - and even if they did, they were cancelled out right away. I've never seen a game in which a team doesn't get at least one whole powerplay.

I thought Esche played really well tonight, he had to put up with a lot because the D was weak. Even the saviour of Monday, Pitkanen, didn't play well. In fact, nobody did. We were lucky to score 2 goals, as far as I'm concerned.

The personnel on this team, as a whole, can't get it done. Clarke needs to do something.

Old
02-02-2006, 10:17 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I wouldn't expect a move for a while just because of cap reasons, one thing I'm a bit disappointed on is that they didn't move for Sykora whom I've always liked, but I'll trust Clarke's judgement.

Old
02-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
My first NHL game, [sarcasm]awesome.[/sarcasm]

Both teams played like garbage tonight, it was actually painful to watch. When the game started and Gagne scored the first goal I was thinking some pretty positive things. A couple shifts later Brashear suddenly plays like Hellen Keller and gives up on a defensive play, result goal against (just one of the many while he was on the ice.) I really liked the Eager-Carter-Stevenson line though, Eager and Stevenson both fought hard along the boards which gave Carter some room to work with.

My memory is a little foggy because I tried to block it out but then Esche had his pattend fudge in the shorts. I grabbed my hair trying to figure out how a pro NHL goalie can see a shooter face to face, perfectly unobstructed, and let a slow wrister pass him by. Aside from that goal, they were all pretty flukey.

One more thing.... Poor Pitkanen. It looked like his surgery really took away from his mobility tonight, he was definately missing a step. Aside from his speed, he really made our power-play function. He held onto the puck like Forsberg on D, it was intense to see.

Old
02-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Lupul*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
My first NHL game, [sarcasm]awesome.[/sarcasm]

Both teams played like garbage tonight, it was actually painful to watch. When the game started and Gagne scored the first goal I was thinking some pretty positive things. A couple shifts later Brashear suddenly plays like Hellen Keller and gives up on a defensive play, result goal against (just one of the many while he was on the ice.) I really liked the Eager-Carter-Stevenson line though, Eager and Stevenson both fought hard along the boards which gave Carter some room to work with.

My memory is a little foggy because I tried to block it out but then Esche had his pattend fudge in the shorts. I grabbed my hair trying to figure out how a pro NHL goalie can see a shooter face to face, perfectly unobstructed, and let a slow wrister pass him by. Aside from that goal, they were all pretty flukey.

One more thing.... Poor Pitkanen. It looked like his surgery really took away from his mobility tonight, he was definately missing a step. Aside from his speed, he really made our power-play function. He held onto the puck like Forsberg on D, it was intense to see.

I'm bitter after that loss. Thanks for making me laugh.

Closed Thread