HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Lebrun: Canes Owner Willing To Sell Entire Team

Old
01-28-2017, 05:53 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
It's really happening guys, it should be obvious at this point. Canes are moving to Québec. I would bet a lot on that. Laraque deserves credit for this, he was the first to announce both that only LV would get an expansion team and that Canes will move to Québec. He has his sources for sure.
you want the AHL Checkers in that deal, too, Quebec fans, because it's likely both franchises, not just the NHL Club

CHRDANHUTCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 06:25 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Reason why I agree with you:

Before the expansion

"But...Mr. Bettman if Quebec submits an application, there will be East/West imbalance"

Bettman: It won't be a factor.

Quebec submits $2M application...the league makes deep market studies and all that stuff

Time to announce expansion teams

Bettman: Well Quebec is fine, market and arena are fine, but you know, because of the East/West imbalance, we can't give them a team!

Riiiight. Like they didn't know the imbalance thing before accepting the non-refundable $2M fee and studying the market.
Nah,quebecor bailed because they didn't want to pay the price that Vegas paid. Had to save face in Quebec so they made a deal with bettman for next relocation. Bettman and company didnt release the fact that quebecor backed out.

The NHL isn't going to turn down half a billion US.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
Nah,quebecor bailed because they didn't want to pay the price that Vegas paid. Had to save face in Quebec so they made a deal with bettman for next relocation. Bettman and company didnt release the fact that quebecor backed out.

The NHL isn't going to turn down half a billion US.
Stop with that BS. Quebec didn't bail, they got rejected.

Scandale du Jour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Vdom999

Audio of Bettman on Carolina

https://radioego.com/media/hurricane...nt-point-point

Vdom999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 07:52 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandale du Jour View Post
It was both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdom999 View Post
This league is a circus.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 08:26 PM
Mightygoose

Regardless if QC's bid was denied by the league or Quebecor couldn't/wouldn't follow through, bottom line their application is still active. The fact they were at the presser for the expansion announcement that DID NOT include their entry speaks volume where they stand with the league.

How this relates to the Canes, perhaps nothing at all. Saying that, if Karmanos' wanting to keep control is 100% the reason why a sale to keep the team in place hasn't taken place, now that barrier is removed, I see no reason why a sale locally can't be done ready for approval at the June meeting this year.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 09:10 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

All this means is what we've known and expected for about 5 years now.

Karmanos reason for putting the team for sale was his age and his will to take care of his wife and children.

His conditions may have been crazy but those were his conditions.

Now those conditions have became flexible.

Buyers from Carolina, from USA, from Canada, from China and from everywhere else in the world know there is a franchise up for sale. The ball is in their camp, they need to make a move, make an offer and see how that offer pleases Mr. Karmanos.

powerstuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 09:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not so sure. Might be a set-up.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 09:19 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Why would you even want the Hurricanes? They're not good and besides Hartford should get first crack if anything. Wait for expansion and call them the Nordiques.
Say what you want about the location in regards to being a economic power house, but that is a franchise with a lot of nice young pieces. Sure they have a ways to go, but this team is setup a lot better then what LV will be even several years down the road. They have some interesting goaltending prospects and a stacked blueline. All they need to really make some noise is a better forward group - and they have some decent pieces there as well.

01-28-2017, 09:22 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotOpie View Post
I'll just leave this right here....to be totally trashed and ignored...

It'll be trashed and ignored for two reasons.
1) Because no one would expect Bettman to say anything else.
2) Because ignoring it would be boring.

Last edited by Riptide: 01-28-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
It'll be trashed in ignored for two reasons.
1) Because no one would expect Bettman to say anything else.
2) Because ignoring it would be boring.
Aint that Grand?... Same thing he said about the Thrashers & the same thing Ziegler said about the Flames... same thing being said about the Coyotes since 2008..

Old
01-28-2017, 09:35 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
All this means is what we've known and expected for about 5 years now.

Karmanos reason for putting the team for sale was his age and his will to take care of his wife and children.

His conditions may have been crazy but those were his conditions.

Now those conditions have became flexible.

Buyers from Carolina, from USA, from Canada, from China and from everywhere else in the world know there is a franchise up for sale. The ball is in their camp, they need to make a move, make an offer and see how that offer pleases Mr. Karmanos.
Peter is dumb and this is all his fault. Has he even called Michael Jordan? At least he would keep the team there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Not so sure. Might be a set-up.
It was both.
Quote:
Say what you want about the location in regards to being a economic power house, but that is a franchise with a lot of nice young pieces. Sure they have a ways to go, but this team is setup a lot better then what LV will be even several years down the road. They have some interesting goaltending prospects and a stacked blueline. All they need to really make some noise is a better forward group - and they have some decent pieces there as well.
I would agree, except we have said this for years. They have not been a good franchise at all and have been missing the playoffs forever. That might continue, like with Winnipeg right now. I think QC deserves a clean slate. The demand to be better fast will be there.

Plus I think Hartford should get first crack of its old team if it comes to that.

Old
01-28-2017, 09:43 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Peter is dumb and this is all his fault...Plus I think Hartford should get first crack of its old team if it comes to that.
Peter is a Wingnut. A greedy opportunistic Wingnut. Remains to be seen if the NHL enables, facilitates.... And no, Hartford wont get "first crack". No owner with the kinds of pockets you suggest.

Old
01-28-2017, 09:43 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

How was it "both"?

Old
01-28-2017, 09:47 PM
Riptide

Quote:
I would agree, except we have said this for years. They have not been a good franchise at all and have been missing the playoffs forever. That might continue, like with Winnipeg right now. I think QC deserves a clean slate. The demand to be better fast will be there.
We've said this about a lot of teams over the years. But I think most fans can look at what Carolina is doing and see that they're on the right track. Whether that translates into on ice success or not is a different matter. But on paper they're doing everything right. Give them a couple years for their D to continue maturing and their forwards to catch up and lets see where they are.

A "clean slate"!? Do you really think that things are so screwed with the Carolina franchise that anyone inheriting the team is getting shafted? What do you think LV will look like, and how long do you think it will take them to have sustained success? Because I bet despite how favorable this expansion draft is compared to the past ones, that they're going to be **** for at least 5 years. And that's only if McPhee has a good/great draft in his first two seasons and doesn't strike out with any of his ED picks.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Because I bet despite how favorable this expansion draft is compared to the past ones, that they're going to be **** for at least 5 years. And that's only if McPhee has a good/great draft in his first two seasons and doesn't strike out with any of his ED picks.
... George McPhee. Yeah. Right. On.

Old
01-28-2017, 09:53 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
... George McPhee. Yeah. Right. On.
In Washington we called him "McFail" for a reason

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Peter Skudra
Nucks fan since '02

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why would you even want the Hurricanes? They're not good and besides Hartford should get first crack if anything. Wait for expansion and call them the Nordiques.
What building would they play in, and who would own them?

Peter Skudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 10:05 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Peter is a Wingnut. A greedy opportunistic Wingnut. Remains to be seen if the NHL enables, facilitates.... And no, Hartford wont get "first crack". No owner with the kinds of pockets you suggest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Skudra View Post
What building would they play in, and who would own them?
Ray Dalio, Stehpen Schwartzman and Steven A Cohen. All worth at least 10 billion and hedge fund guys in the NYC area. It can happen. A new arena in Downtown Hartford or West Hartford will be fine.

Quote:
We've said this about a lot of teams over the years. But I think most fans can look at what Carolina is doing and see that they're on the right track. Whether that translates into on ice success or not is a different matter. But on paper they're doing everything right. Give them a couple years for their D to continue maturing and their forwards to catch up and lets see where they are.

A "clean slate"!? Do you really think that things are so screwed with the Carolina franchise that anyone inheriting the team is getting shafted? What do you think LV will look like, and how long do you think it will take them to have sustained success? Because I bet despite how favorable this expansion draft is compared to the past ones, that they're going to be **** for at least 5 years. And that's only if McPhee has a good/great draft in his first two seasons and doesn't strike out with any of his ED picks.
They said that last time when Skinner was drafted and look what happened to him. It's been years since the playoffs. Look at Winnipeg, they got the Thrashers and have made the playoffs one time. The Jets have been bad and will be bad again. I want QC to get an expansion franchise, that is fresh and wont have dead weight, so to speak. Either the Hurricanes figure it out, or go home to Hartford.

Quote:
How was it "both"?
Because the NHL concerns about the dollar and realignment were valid. But Quebec didn't want to pay 650 million for a team. It was a mutual decision not to go forward with the bid, which is why it's "on hold" and not "done" per se.

Old
01-28-2017, 10:07 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

How can you prove, not guess, that Quebecor backed out of the deal? All we KNOW is that the league said no "at this time". The nonsense about Quebecor backed down because of the price is, at best, an educated guess.

Old
01-28-2017, 10:09 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

vCash: 859
Quote:
How can you prove, not guess, that Quebecor backed out of the deal? All we KNOW is that the league said no "at this time". The nonsense about Quebecor backed down because of the price is, at best, an educated guess.
When you choose to believe it was more than a simple league decision, an educated guess isn't a bad place to go.

01-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
In Washington we called him "McFail" for a reason
Thank ye'.... for piping up... how that Ultra-Maroon managed to keep his job?... Gobsmacked... I get that ownership in DC is brilliant but c'mon here... WtF Man... Mediocrity is not a "plan". McPhee a loaf of Wonder bread. Never stale but hideously... never goes bad... re-tread... like the loaf I found at the cottage, forgotten in the bread-bin at the cottage in September still fresh the following May.... eat it? Yeah... Dont think so. ... Possessed one of the greatest players in NHL history, leaves er' parked in the garage. "Lets leave the Porsche parked in the garage" hah?... Total.... Idiot... Moron... also Young Morgoth... need ta checkout Procul Harums A Salty Dog & Grand Hotel. Very impressive.

Old
01-28-2017, 10:21 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Thank ye'.... for piping up... how that Ultra-Maroon managed to keep his job?... Gobsmacked... I get that ownership in DC is brilliant but c'mon here... WtF Man... Mediocrity is not a "plan". McPhee a loaf of Wonder bread. Never stale but hideously... never goes bad... re-tread... like the loaf I found at the cottage, forgotten in the bread-bin at the cottage in September still fresh the following May.... eat it? Yeah... Dont think so. ... Possessed one of the greatest players in NHL history, leaves er' parked in the garage. "Lets leave the Porsche parked in the garage" hah?... Total.... Idiot... Moron... also Young Morgoth... need ta checkout Procul Harums A Salty Dog & Grand Hotel. Very impressive.
Impressive indeed! I'm "into" prog rock and Procol Harum were pioneers I've seen Caps fans go full psycho at the mere mention of "Forsburg for Erat".....that's McFail in a nutshell

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2017, 10:25 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
Impressive indeed! I'm "into" prog rock and Procol Harum were pioneers I've seen Caps fans go full psycho at the mere mention of "Forsburg for Erat".....that's McFail in a nutshell
Yeah... well... good luck with that Las Vegas. Lets hire the biggest Moron we can find. Christ almighty Man.

Old
01-28-2017, 10:26 PM
Bruins1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Ever look at Hartford's demographics? Sorry but no pro is ever going there, end of story.
Hartford County has a median family income of $62,100 and 895,000 people.
Erie County, NY has a median Income of 49,400 and 922,000 people.
That make Hartford County 122% as wealthy as Erie County.
Hartford Neighbor to the north, Springfield (Hampden County) has 422,000 people and a median Family income of 49,400. Niagara County meanwhile has a population of 212,000 and a median family income of 47,800. Don't even have to do the math on that one.
If Buffalo is a viable market so is Hartford.

Bruins1233 is offline   Reply With Quote