HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Lebrun: Canes Owner Willing To Sell Entire Team

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2017, 02:08 AM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
They said that last time when Skinner was drafted and look what happened to him. It's been years since the playoffs. Look at Winnipeg, they got the Thrashers and have made the playoffs one time. The Jets have been bad and will be bad again. I want QC to get an expansion franchise, that is fresh and wont have dead weight, so to speak.
Three questions.

1) Do you really think Carolina has "dead weight"!? And if so, who? They have some excellent young pieces. And regardless of what you think of them, those pieces will still be a hell of a lot better then what LV will have in 6 months.

2) How long did it take any of the more recent expansion teams to make the playoffs more than once? To make everyone's life easier,here's the history of the last 7 expansion teams. Now, out of those 7 expansion teams, how many in their first decade would be considered a success? Because when I looked at those teams, I only count one who I'd call a success over their first decade in the league - that one being Ottawa. Now seeing the below.. Do you really think LV will be different then the majority of these franchises? Sure they'll get to start with better pieces, but it's still going to be a mess for at least 5 years. And that's only if McPhee doesn't **** it up in the first couple of seasons.

- ANA: Took 6 seasons before they qualified for the playoffs a 2nd time. 10 seasons to qualify a 3rd time.
- MIN: Took 6 seasons before they qualified for the playoffs a 2nd time. 7 seasons for a 3rd time (and then another 4 yr drought).
- CBJ: Took 8 seasons for their first playoff appearance, and 13 seasons for their 2nd appearance. They've been in the league for 15 years and only been to the post season twice.
- OTT: Took 5 years before they started making the playoffs yearly (11 yrs in a row).
- TBL: Took 11 years before they qualified for the playoffs a 2nd time. Won the cup in their 12th season.
- ATL: Took 7 years for their first (and only) playoff appearance. The team moved to Winnipeg after 11 seasons.
- FLA: Made the playoffs twice in their first 4 seasons and 3 times in their first 7 seasons. Then twice in their next 15 seasons.

3) Now seeing the above... Who do you think will have any sort of sustained playoff experience (call it at least 3 times in 5 years)? LV (and if so, how long) or Carolina? Because if I was going to bet on a brand new team with no prospect pool and having to start from scratch or a team that has been meh, but still has multiple pieces that are light years better then what LV will get to start with... I would be putting my money on Carolina each and every time.

01-29-2017, 06:12 AM
SunDancer

Why would Karmanos sell the Canes for less than the amount he knows he can get from Quebecor?

He may now be willing to relinquish full control of the team but any local buyer will still have to meet his price. The market is set.

Old
01-29-2017, 06:19 AM
varano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say but the Canes are so far ahead than any form of expansion team that QC could get. They have arguably the greatest bunch of defensive prospects in the NHL. That alone is worth gold, especially since dmen are such in high demand these days.

Hurricanes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> future team of Vegas AINEC
100% Correct. The Canes have all the right pieces in place. Just need a goalie, some scoring and they're actually a good team. Carolina has had the tough end of the stick in the sense that not a lot of star power would want to go to Carolina to play

Old
01-29-2017, 07:54 AM
Nordskull
WAITING FOR NORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer View Post
Why would Karmanos sell the Canes for less than the amount he knows he can get from Quebecor?

He may now be willing to relinquish full control of the team but any local buyer will still have to meet his price. The market is set.
Thats a good point.

Qcor will go ahead strong as they're loosing lot$ with their sports channel and I guess shareholders will start putting big pressure to get that NHL thing in.

Old
01-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
The only possible relo team that would be better than the Canes is probably Florida. No expansion team is going to have the good young pieces Carolina currently has (Skinner, Aho, Hanifin, Rask, Lindholm, Teravainen, Faulk, Gauthier, Roy and Bean) it will take an expansion team years to get a young core like that. I think Vegas needs to be more worried about having a competitive team off the hop. Quebec will just be glad to have a team back and I bet ST sell out for years when they first go on sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say but the Canes are so far ahead than any form of expansion team that QC could get. They have arguably the greatest bunch of defensive prospects in the NHL. That alone is worth gold, especially since dmen are such in high demand these days.

Hurricanes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> future team of Vegas AINEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Three questions.

1) Do you really think Carolina has "dead weight"!? And if so, who? They have some excellent young pieces. And regardless of what you think of them, those pieces will still be a hell of a lot better then what LV will have in 6 months.

2) How long did it take any of the more recent expansion teams to make the playoffs more than once? To make everyone's life easier,here's the history of the last 7 expansion teams. Now, out of those 7 expansion teams, how many in their first decade would be considered a success? Because when I looked at those teams, I only count one who I'd call a success over their first decade in the league - that one being Ottawa. Now seeing the below.. Do you really think LV will be different then the majority of these franchises? Sure they'll get to start with better pieces, but it's still going to be a mess for at least 5 years. And that's only if McPhee doesn't **** it up in the first couple of seasons.

- ANA: Took 6 seasons before they qualified for the playoffs a 2nd time. 10 seasons to qualify a 3rd time.
- MIN: Took 6 seasons before they qualified for the playoffs a 2nd time. 7 seasons for a 3rd time (and then another 4 yr drought).
- CBJ: Took 8 seasons for their first playoff appearance, and 13 seasons for their 2nd appearance. They've been in the league for 15 years and only been to the post season twice.
- OTT: Took 5 years before they started making the playoffs yearly (11 yrs in a row).
- TBL: Took 11 years before they qualified for the playoffs a 2nd time. Won the cup in their 12th season.
- ATL: Took 7 years for their first (and only) playoff appearance. The team moved to Winnipeg after 11 seasons.
- FLA: Made the playoffs twice in their first 4 seasons and 3 times in their first 7 seasons. Then twice in their next 15 seasons.

3) Now seeing the above... Who do you think will have any sort of sustained playoff experience (call it at least 3 times in 5 years)? LV (and if so, how long) or Carolina? Because if I was going to bet on a brand new team with no prospect pool and having to start from scratch or a team that has been meh, but still has multiple pieces that are light years better then what LV will get to start with... I would be putting my money on Carolina each and every time.
Guys my point is that looking at the Jets, and how they have made the playoffs once, I would like to not see that in Quebec, that's all.

Old
01-29-2017, 08:47 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by varano View Post
100% Correct. The Canes have all the right pieces in place. Just need a goalie, some scoring and they're actually a good team. Carolina has had the tough end of the stick in the sense that not a lot of star power would want to go to Carolina to play
that would work out very well then. they can move to QC and win the cup the very same year. thanks for doing the heavy lifting, carolina.

Old
01-29-2017, 08:59 AM
AllezlesBleus

Quote:
The point is though Hartford has the money and double the population, so why would Winnipeg work out and not them?

Given the Jets not making the playoffs still, I would like to see QC get an expansion team rather then baggage.
Pleasssseee, stop with the nonsense. Hartford, with no building and no possible owner, is far from Quebec City who has all three conditions filed (strong owner, good building, good fanbase/market). As much as I wish for the return of the beloved Whalers, it's not happening any time soon.

And we already know that the NHL gives "'("!('" about "history". The Coyotes didn't went back north to be the 2.0 Jets. At this point and as a Nordiques' fan, all I care is to get a team. ANY team. Could be the Canes. Could be the Coyotes. Could be the Blue Jackets. Could be an expansion team. I DON'T CARE. Just give Quebecor and Quebec City a chance to buy a team. I want the Nordiques back that's it, that's all. Give me the ISLANDERS!! We'll be at the bottom of the league, but we'll cheer for Tavares and al.

At this point neither you nor me is picking the team that will come to Quebec City. All is decided behind closed doors in the NHL's New York offices. Wait and see. And give us a team. Any team.

Old
01-29-2017, 09:01 AM
Mad Brills*

I love how canadian fans forget that the canucks/senators/oilers were almost moved.

Old
01-29-2017, 09:03 AM
jason2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Brills View Post
I love how canadian fans forget that the canucks/senators/oilers were almost moved.
The difference is southern fans think they should be bailed out for ever just because there southern.

Old
01-29-2017, 09:04 AM
JFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer View Post
Because the NHL would keep 225M from any amount he gets from QC.

Old
01-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Mad Brills*

Quote:
The difference is southern fans think they should be bailed out for ever just because there southern.
That's fair, but point is that the non montreal/toronto teams have certainly had their own share of money problems.

Old
01-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezlesBleus View Post
Pleasssseee, stop with the nonsense. Hartford, with no building and no possible owner, is far from Quebec City who has all three conditions filed (strong owner, good building, good fanbase/market). As much as I wish for the return of the beloved Whalers, it's not happening any time soon.

And we already know that the NHL gives "'("!('" about "history". The Coyotes didn't went back north to be the 2.0 Jets. At this point and as a Nordiques' fan, all I care is to get a team. ANY team. Could be the Canes. Could be the Coyotes. Could be the Blue Jackets. Could be an expansion team. I DON'T CARE. Just give Quebecor and Quebec City a chance to buy a team. I want the Nordiques back that's it, that's all. Give me the ISLANDERS!! We'll be at the bottom of the league, but we'll cheer for Tavares and al.

At this point neither you nor me is picking the team that will come to Quebec City. All is decided behind closed doors in the NHL's New York offices. Wait and see. And give us a team. Any team.
Fine, fair enough.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2020 View Post
Who says this Jason?

Quote:
That's fair, but point is that the non montreal/toronto teams have certainly had their own share of money problems.
Exactly. Plus the NTC issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
Really? That makes things interesting for sure.

Old
01-29-2017, 09:53 AM
viper0220

I think they have been trying for at least 5 years to sell the Hurricanes locally but could not find anyone. With Peter Karmanos getting up there in age, he probably wants to clear up everything so his family is not fighting over anything(make a will), and his family probably don't want the Hurricanes.

I think after next year we will start hearing some rumblings about the Hurricanes problems and they will likely move after that. I say after next year because the NHL does not want to spoil the party in Vegas.

As to where it will move, it probably is Quebec City because they came forward with a bid, it was not Hartford or any other city(Quebecor helped the NHL a lot here, the NHL in Vegas was already a done before the expansion drama but the NHL needed another bid because it would have been stupid to just have one bid, so Quebecor came forward and saved a lot of headache and heartache for the NHL).

Old
01-29-2017, 10:00 AM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Guys my point is that looking at the Jets, and how they have made the playoffs once, I would like to not see that in Quebec, that's all.
I doubt one situation really impacts the other. The current Jets making the playoffs once is an extreme just as much as Colorado winning in their first year is the other end.

If Quebec's path back in via a relocation (not necessarily Carolina) they'll work with what they have.

Old
01-29-2017, 10:08 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
And public arena deals don't get broken for free.

Old
01-29-2017, 10:08 AM
Mightygoose

Quote:

It doesn't have anything to do with forgetting or even not wanting to acknowledge the past.

There are no Canadian based clubs for sale, the Hurricanes are and have been for a while with no bites. Now that the PK wants control strings are coming off, the time for local movement is at hand.

Old
01-29-2017, 10:20 AM
Headshot77
Bad Photoshopper

vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezlesBleus View Post

To be fair, I always thought the Islanders were the red-headed stepchild of the three teams in that area. Even with their dynasty I think there is a chance they could move someday.

Old
01-29-2017, 10:33 AM
SunDancer

Quote:
That all depends on how the NHL arrives at the relocation fee. Remember, it was only 60M for the Thrashers.

Old
01-29-2017, 10:37 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscarr99 View Post
Quebec here we come!
Hopefully!

Old
01-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
The league had their concerns, and so did Videotron. That's all. That's why they were at the press conference.
Educated guess, at best. If you have sources, named them. Until then, it remains your read on the situation and nothing more. NOTHING, and I repeat, NOTHING tangible regarding Quebecor deciding to back off has come out to my knowledge. If I am wrong, bring proof to the table.

Concerns were expressed, sure. They said it was a risk to pay that much. They never said they refused to pay. The NHL said no. At least, that's the official version. IMO, they were at the PC only for damage control purpose.

Last edited by Scandale du Jour: 01-29-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old
01-29-2017, 10:56 AM
FosterHewitt

I hope the team stays out for selfish reasons (it's my closest NHL market now) but I think Seattle could be a possibility. Lots of talk about a team there and I think deep down the NHL brass wants a team there before QC

Old
01-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterHewitt View Post
I hope the team stays out for selfish reasons (it's my closest NHL market now) but I think Seattle could be a possibility. Lots of talk about a team there and I think deep down the NHL brass wants a team there before QC
Seattle will get #32.

Old
01-29-2017, 11:07 AM
jason2020

Melrose

Go over all the threads and when it comes to southern teams many say the league should keep them there even run them so they don't move.

Old
01-29-2017, 11:08 AM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
And public arena deals don't get broken for free.
Do we know how much that would cost if it were to go down?

I'm assuming we're in the tens of millions, as I recall there's plenty of time left in the Canes' lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2020 View Post
Melrose

Go over all the threads and when it comes to southern teams many say the league should keep them there even run them so they don't move.
Probably going to need a source for this one. I've read every post here for a long time and I don't recall this line of posting.

01-29-2017, 11:21 AM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot77 View Post
To be fair, I always thought the Islanders were the red-headed stepchild of the three teams in that area. Even with their dynasty I think there is a chance they could move someday.
Apparently their cable deal ensures they are a profitable franchise. I can't see them relocating out of the area. The only place they should move is back to Nassau County.

Closed Thread