HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

** Proposal ** Florida - Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2006, 01:27 PM
gpearson1968

vCash: 450
** Proposal ** Florida - Edmonton

Hi all,

I think that this is my first actual proposal, although I've seen fit to comment on a few, so please, be gentle.

To Edmonton : Luongo
To Florida : Torres, Staios, Cogliano, Morrison, Edmonton 2nd rounder ( 2006 )

From an Edmonton POV, we get an absolutely legitimate, NHL-quality. top 3 in the league, goalie. Without completely decimating the team to do so.

From a Florida POV, they get the stay-at-home top 4 d-man that every team wants, the 2nd leading goal scorer on Edmonton, Edmonton's best goalie prospect, plus Cogliano and a 2nd rounder. Something for now, and a little something down the road.

I know both sides will think that they're over-paying, but as an obvious Edmonton fan, I do this trade with the thought that we have great NHL depth at D, decent hands at F, and Schremp making an apprearance next year.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
gpearson1968

Old
02-02-2006, 01:29 PM
sveiglar

vCash: 500
An EDM-FLA proposal? Brewer for Jokinen!

Old
02-02-2006, 01:30 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpearson1968
Hi all,

I think that this is my first actual proposal, although I've seen fit to comment on a few, so please, be gentle.

From an Edmonton POV, we get an absolutely legitimate, NHL-quality. top 3 in the league, goalie. Without completely decimating the team to do so.

From a Florida POV, they get the stay-at-home top 4 d-man that every team wants, the 2nd leading goal scorer on Edmonton, Edmonton's best goalie prospect, plus Cogliano and a 2nd rounder.

I know both sides will think that they're over-paying, but as an obvious Edmonton fan, I do this trade with the thought that we have great NHL depth at D, decent hands at F, and Schremp making an apprearance next year.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
gpearson1968
Change Torres for Schremp and 2nd to 1st and we will add in Sean Hill. Realistically i know Hemsky is untouchable, but id still love to have him. Luongo for Hemsky + something else, would be awesome.

Old
02-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Jarri17

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17ster
Change Torres for Schremp and 2nd to 1st and we will add in Sean Hill.
My first instinct I'd do that trade (what is Hill's contract like?)... hate losing Staios and Schremp ... but Luongo makes up for it. Not sure if this would ever get done in the real world.

And you are right ... in my book, Hemsky is untouchable.

Old
02-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Hi all,

From a Florida POV, they get the stay-at-home top 4 d-man that every team wants, the 2nd leading goal scorer on Edmonton, Edmonton's best goalie prospect, plus Cogliano and a 2nd rounder. Something for now, and a little something down the road.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
gpearson1968
I thin that Florida wants to see some top notch talent coming back for their best player. Guys like Hemsky, Bergeron, Torres (is good) perhaps EMD 1st rounder....some posters may even demand Schremp.

I'm seeing Kevin Lowe trying to make a run at Luongo. The Panthers need wingers and defence, if I'm not mistaken.

Old
02-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
I can't see a collection of spare parts getting Luongo. This is no different. J17 was right if Schremp was included and rearranging the deal a bit may make it closer.

Old
02-02-2006, 01:45 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarri17
My first instinct I'd do that trade (what is Hill's contract like?)... hate losing Staios and Schremp ... but Luongo makes up for it. Not sure if this would ever get done in the real world.

And you are right ... in my book, Hemsky is untouchable.
Is there any deal involving Florida where hemksy could be had?

Hill's contract isnt bad, more of the case of just offloading him really .

Old
02-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
An EDM-FLA proposal? Brewer for Jokinen!
The Oilers do not have Brewer anymore, we traded his sorry a$$ to St. Louis for PRONGER

Old
02-02-2006, 02:43 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Change Torres for Schremp and 2nd to 1st and we will add in Sean Hill. Realistically i know Hemsky is untouchable, but id still love to have him. Luongo for Hemsky + something else, would be awesome.
Actually Luongo is one of those players where no one on the Oilers would be untouchable. Hemsky is our only pure skill player on the roster and is the biggest offensive catalyst on our team, if you take him you won't be getting a whole lot else because he's extremely critical to the teams present and future success.

Old
02-02-2006, 02:51 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Actually Luongo is one of those players where no one on the Oilers would be untouchable. Hemsky is our only pure skill player on the roster and is the biggest offensive catalyst on our team, if you take him you won't be getting a whole lot else because he's extremely critical to the teams present and future success.
Hemsky + pick or decent prospect for Luongo? Sound reasonable?

Old
02-02-2006, 03:09 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Hemsky + pick or decent prospect for Luongo? Sound reasonable?
Ya, Sure, no problem at all. That is really not a deal I think Keenan would be looking for though...

Old
02-02-2006, 03:11 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Given that Luongo is going to cost 5-6 M to sign I can't see Lowe moving Hemsky for him. If Luongo were cheaper then he would for sure be on the table, but for 6M I don't see it.

Something along the lines of Torres, Staios, 1st and Pouliot, seem more likely.

Trust me, Keenan will love Torres. Once he gets some consistency (he is still young) he'll be a 30 goal scorer. No doubt in my mind. I think he'd do very well playing with Horton.

02-02-2006, 03:17 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Hold up a minute, Oilfans. There's 2 important questions here. The first is what it would take to get Luongo. The second, that everybody seems to be forgetting, is what would it take to keep him?

Luongo just turned down $6 million a season, didn't he?

Say he does wind up signing for $6 million a season. How do the Oilers fit him into the budget over the next few seasons? First off, what players do we have to get rid of just to fit him into the budget? And second, how are we going to afford raises for guys like Hemsky and Stoll and Horcoff over the next few years?

I think it would be incredible to have a guy like Luongo on the team, but we have to think about the effect on the salary structure over the next few years. (and same goes for Jose Theodore, except that right now Theodore's game is also a huge question mark and that makes it even riskier.)

Old
02-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Motel

There's room for Luongo, depending on what happens with the dollar. Peca won't be getting $4 mill next season, if he signs in Edmonton at all. If the oilers hang on to Bergeron at his low salary it makes at least one of Tarnstrom, Spacek, Smith and Staois expendable (having Greene as a 6th d-man). Conklin's pulling down $1.5 already. It works dollar-wise, but I don't think the trades proposed work Florida-wise.

If they think they're going to lose Jokinen as a UFA then they're going need an impact player; Torres is too streaky to be that guy. Maybe they'd go for Horcoff+Staois+Moreau+pick/prospect but i'd doubt even that happening.

Old
02-02-2006, 03:56 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Hold up a minute, Oilfans. There's 2 important questions here. The first is what it would take to get Luongo. The second, that everybody seems to be forgetting, is what would it take to keep him?

Say he does wind up signing for $6 million a season. How do the Oilers fit him into the budget over the next few seasons? First off, what players do we have to get rid of just to fit him into the budget? And second, how are we going to afford raises for guys like Hemsky and Stoll and Horcoff over the next few years?

I think it would be incredible to have a guy like Luongo on the team, but we have to think about the effect on the salary structure over the next few years. (and same goes for Jose Theodore, except that right now Theodore's game is also a huge question mark and that makes it even riskier.)
No doubt he wants top goalie in the league type money, but Roberto's said all along money is secondary to playing for a winner/contender. He wants out of Florida unless management can prove to him their committment to fielding a better team around him. The Oilers would be a team where you don't have the instability of our management that I could see Roberto playing for...

Old
02-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Oilman72

Would love Luongo but can't afford him and therefore this whole trade proposal is pointless. This guy's going to want $6 Mil. + and therefore is far outside the Oiler's reach.

The only way the Oiler's would be interested in getting Luongo is if we could sign him for say $4.5 Mil. or so for 4 or 5 years. Is that going to happen? I don't think so.

There's other goaltenders out there that would fit the bill without taking a big chunk out of our offense.

EDIT: If he would sign the above deal I would do your original trade in a second.

Old
02-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Hi all,

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
gpearson1968
Edm fan here.. take out cogliano add another 2nd and we have a deal.

Old
02-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilman72
Would love Luongo but can't afford him and therefore this whole trade proposal is pointless. This guy's going to want $6 Mil. + and therefore is far outside the Oiler's reach.

The only way the Oiler's would be interested in getting Luongo is if we could sign him for say $4.5 Mil. or so for 4 or 5 years. Is that going to happen? I don't think so.

There's other goaltenders out there that would fit the bill without taking a big chunk out of our offense.

EDIT: If he would sign the above deal I would do your original trade in a second.
I am pretty sure we'll able to afford luongo at 6mil. half the oil board still wants Theodore on out team. His contract is worse and he isnt really doing too great.

Old
02-02-2006, 04:14 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Given that Luongo is going to cost 5-6 M to sign I can't see Lowe moving Hemsky for him. If Luongo were cheaper then he would for sure be on the table, but for 6M I don't see it.

Something along the lines of Torres, Staios, 1st and Pouliot, seem more likely.

Trust me, Keenan will love Torres. Once he gets some consistency (he is still young) he'll be a 30 goal scorer. No doubt in my mind. I think he'd do very well playing with Horton.
If I`m edmonton, I would do that in a heart beat. I`d also throw in either Conklin or Markhanan

Old
02-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Mike Krushelnyski

Forgive me if this is way off... my first one of these... but in terms of "Keenan-type" players that may appeal to Florida and a likely fair return for arguably the #2 tender in the NHL currently... how would this look to Oiler and Panther fans:

G Jussi Markkanen
D Jason Smith
LW Raffi Torres
C Marty Reasoner
C Robbie Schremp

for

G Roberto Luongo
RW Juraj Kolnik OR C Stephen Weiss

Immediately gives Florida a #2/3 hard-nosed def Dman in Smith, a solid #3 C in Reasoner, a #1/2 young LWer in Torres, and of course a top prospect in Schremp. The only "flaw" I can see would be that Markkanen is a major downgrade in net for them and it doesn't really look like Florida have any future prospects to replace him in their system.

The Oilers lose depth, but make obvious gains in net... though the big question mark would obviously be if they could re-negotiate a long term contract with him for a "reasonable" amount.

Fair? Unfair?

Flame away...

Old
02-02-2006, 04:16 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie

Of all of the high priced players in the league. Luongo is one that you pay to get!
In the next 10 years I don`t see a better goaltender. If you compile his stats over the next 10 years, no other goaltender will be better then him.

Old
02-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lander
Edm fan here.. take out cogliano add another 2nd and we have a deal.
As a neutral party....I can't see Florida having any interest in that. You'd most likely have to adjust the 2nd from the first proposal to a 1st to get the deal done.

One would think that to get Luongo either Cogliano or Schremp would have to go the other way. Mind you, you could probably take out Cogliano and add in Dubnyk and a 2nd/3rd as Florida would probably want a goalie coming back (one with upside).

How about:

To Fla:
Torres, Staios, Dubnyk, 1st

To Edm:
Luongo

Old
02-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney
As a neutral party....I can't see Florida having any interest in that. You'd most likely have to adjust the 2nd from the first proposal to a 1st to get the deal done.

One would think that to get Luongo either Cogliano or Schremp would have to go the other way. Mind you, you could probably take out Cogliano and add in Dubnyk and a 2nd/3rd as Florida would probably want a goalie coming back (one with upside).

How about:

To Fla:
Torres, Staios, Dubnyk, 1st

To Edm:
Luongo

As an Oiler fan, I like that deal, but salary-wise, do you think that Florida would take Conklin as well if the Oilers added a 3rd?

Old
02-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Replace Cogliano with Pouliot, and Morrison with Markannen or Conklin and we got a deal.

Luongo for Torres, Staios, MAP, Conklin and a 2nd.

For the talks including Hemsky and Luongo, I think that would've been great if Huselius was still in FLA and could have came to Edmonton and played the way he's played in CGY.

Something like Hemsky, Staios and a goalie for Luongo and Huselius.

Huselius could have stepped in and played the skill game that Hemsky does.

Also, for the guys saying Luongo will not fit into our budget, I think it is possible if a few mil goes the other way. Alot of us are willing to pay Theodore 5+, so Luongo is money well spent IMO.

Old
02-02-2006, 04:24 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

If we did decide that Luongo would make long-term financial sense (and I still have my doubts...) then I'm sure Edmonton would consider parting with Schremp or Cogliano as part of the deal. I'd do it, at least. I don't think you can enter into this kind of a deal with the attitude that your high draft picks and top prospects aren't on the table.

Closed Thread