HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XVI

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Runner77

vCash: 9216
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
For me Steven Seagal is the worst actor ever. This is if you consider him an actor of course.
Adam Sandler has to be in that conversation.

Old
04-19-2017, 01:20 PM
mitchmagic

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Adam Sandler has to be in that conversation.
Adam Sandler has Punch Drunk Love.

Old
04-19-2017, 01:48 PM
katatoniak

Antonio Banderas is horrible

Logan : 8/10 .... Not a big fan of the X-men movies but I enjoyed this one.

Old
04-19-2017, 02:15 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Christopher Lambert wins the lifetime bad acting as a lead award.

Old
04-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
Adam Sandler has Punch Drunk Love.
And Little Nicky.

Old
04-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky View Post
Not sure if serious...anyway, if you are, you better be buying a lot of DVD's because that new chain of 70 stores will desperately need your business.

And if you are not serious, kudos to you sir, I love that kind of humour.
Good God so I'm the only one that love to just go to a store and look at the racks of movies? So much that it is seen as a joke?

Anyway as far as Seagle, I think he's limited as an actor but I always thought he had a presence about him going far back as his first flick Above the Law. Even Roger Ebert thought so.

But he chose to make bad cheap movies. I don't think Eastwood has had that much more of a range than him if you watch the Dirty Harry movies, he's basically grunting all the time. But Eastwood grew up with Leone and Don Seagle, learned a lot from them and because of that he understood what made a good movie and a bad movie.

Old
04-19-2017, 09:40 PM
SquiddFX
#Seanski

Steven Segal is a legend. All of y'all are haters

Old
04-19-2017, 10:20 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

Vin Diesel and Segal may not be great actors but they have a presence and charisma. Others like this are Arnold, Eastwood and Dwayne Johnson to name a few. Was going to say Stallone but he's actually got really good range surprisingly.

When I think of bad actors, Jennifer Anniston is probably the first to come to mind. No range, presence or charisma. Just milking the friends role her whole career. Kevin James has to be way up there along with much of the Sandler crew. Nick Cage I would nominate but he's more inconsistent than anything. He can look fantastic in one film (Face Off, Lieutenant, Arizona and Lord of War) but then just be laughably bad like Wicker Man. Jaden Smith is pretty terrible too.

Old
04-19-2017, 11:42 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Jaden smith should be tarred and feathered

Old
04-20-2017, 12:00 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
Vin Diesel and Segal may not be great actors but they have a presence and charisma. Others like this are Arnold, Eastwood and Dwayne Johnson to name a few. Was going to say Stallone but he's actually got really good range surprisingly.

When I think of bad actors, Jennifer Anniston is probably the first to come to mind. No range, presence or charisma. Just milking the friends role her whole career. Kevin James has to be way up there along with much of the Sandler crew. Nick Cage I would nominate but he's more inconsistent than anything. He can look fantastic in one film (Face Off, Lieutenant, Arizona and Lord of War) but then just be laughably bad like Wicker Man. Jaden Smith is pretty terrible too.
Did you just put Diesel in the same category as Clint Eastwood??
Even Arnold, the guy came into the scene as a monster human. He exploited roles where they wanted a gigantic muscular hero.
Vin Diesel is a peanut compared to the size of Arnold. Heck, he's a peanut compared to the Rock.
He has no acting skills whatsoever, isn't particularly large (compared to other massive actors), and has no charisma. He tries to play the tough guy act way too hard. He's so bad...so so bad...

Old
04-20-2017, 12:09 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I mean, they're dumb movies and I don't think anyone who is a fan will say otherwise. You turn your brain off and watch fast cars and stupid fight scenes for a couple of hours. They're not trying to be anything they're not, but they have a huge appeal.

I think I watched the first two and that was enough for me.
I think you should go watch the movie. It's no longer ''just fast cars''. That would be fine actually. I'm not 18 anymore, like when the first one came out, so I would get little thrill from watching a bunch of beach californians car race all over the place. Still, I would get that.
What that franchise has turned into is far from that. They are now freelancers super spies who take Lamborghinis deep into Russia close to the North Pole to chase a submarine. They shoot spears out of their cars. Ughh..It's so bad.
What I don't mind is making the Rock, an actual beast, look superhuman by letting punch through or throw people around like they're nothing.

Seriously, watch it, I'd be curious to see what you think.

Old
04-20-2017, 12:11 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
For me Steven Seagal is the worst actor ever. This is if you consider him an actor of course.
Seagal, as bad as he was, still has legit martial art skills.
Diesel has nothing but a nasty big nose.

Old
04-20-2017, 12:11 AM
SquiddFX
#Seanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
Jaden smith should be tarred and feathered
He should go live with his aunt and uncle in West Philadelphia.

Old
04-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Tim Raines

Good calls on the worst actor list. I have trouble even calling Jaden Smith an actor. It's like calling David Samson a baseball owner.

But I have to throw a nod to Jack Black. Has anyone ever tried so hard to be funny and failed so often?

Old
04-20-2017, 08:06 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Even though John Rambo is at times a ridiculous character, there are moments where he's more than that and Sly does a good job. But his best performance was in Cop Land, he showed some good range there.

Clint plays the old curmudgeon these days and does it well. I guess it's easy when you're a grumpy old Republican IRL. He showed he was able to act with Unforgiven, which, while a far better film, has similarities with the afformentioned Cop Land in having a well-known actor in a role we are used to seeing them in, but taking the character in the opposite direction of what we are used to, defying the typecast. Oddly enough, a film that best showed Clint's acting talent is probably The Bridges of Madison County. Completely different than what we are used to seeing him in and he doesn't look out of place despite playing opposite the greatest actress in history.

Arnold came over as a bodybuilder that barely knew English and ran with it. Typecast for most of his career, I think what best showed his abilities are his comedic roles, he's actually quite good in that genre.

Seagal has a presence, he likes to talk in that whispery tone. I haven't seen much range with him.

Vin Diesel is another level of bad. Imagine him alongside Meryl Streep.

Old
04-20-2017, 08:34 AM
tonytwist15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Raines View Post
It raises an interesting question though. Who is the "worst actor ever?"

Vin Diesel already has one vote I see. It's a tough call. You need someone that is completely inept at delivering lines, is not at all believable in any role and/or is preferably box office poison.

A strong case could be made for a few, but Shia LeBeouf has to be in contention.

Shia is a solid pick. I know plenty of people love him, but I always thought Keanu Reeves was a terrible actor. He has a type, and whenever he goes beyond that type, he's downright terrible. And his type is so narrow in range (he basically has to not have emotions, otherwise he's screwed), that we can't really call it acting. If you really want to have a laugh, just watch him in Dracula. I watch it once in a while for kicks and giggles.

I think David Spade is someone who has no business being in a movie. I know he's probably more of a comedian than an actor, but wouldn't require to be funny at least?

There are one-dimensional actors that I don't mind. They play their role, some like it, some don't. But they're just doing well in their niche, and that's fine. But for as much a big name actor the aforementioned Reeves is, he should be able to transcend the one type. Harrison Ford is a guy who has always had a type, yet when I watched 42, I didn't even recognize him at first. He was actually acting. I feel like Keanu can simply be Keanu under a different name, and that's why I don't think he's a good actor.

Oh, another name: James Franco. I can't buy into any of his characters, he's always James Franco. Although he was decent (less annoying) in 127 Hours.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytwist15 View Post
Shia is a solid pick. I know plenty of people love him, but I always thought Keanu Reeves was a terrible actor. He has a type, and whenever he goes beyond that type, he's downright terrible. And his type is so narrow in range (he basically has to not have emotions, otherwise he's screwed), that we can't really call it acting. If you really want to have a laugh, just watch him in Dracula. I watch it once in a while for kicks and giggles.

Shia is top 3 worst for me, I also cannot stand Dustin Hoffman.

I used to love mocking Reeves, but Damn after John Wick and John Wick 2, I really started to like him again. Plus he was good in The Devil's Advocate.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:24 AM
mitchmagic

You may not like Vin Diesel but he was superb in Saving Private Ryan and his own film Strays.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:27 AM
mitchmagic

Also woah woah woah.

Shia Labeouf has some great performances -- Fury, American Honey, Nymphomaniac, etc.

Old
04-20-2017, 02:34 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Did you just put Diesel in the same category as Clint Eastwood??
Even Arnold, the guy came into the scene as a monster human. He exploited roles where they wanted a gigantic muscular hero.
Vin Diesel is a peanut compared to the size of Arnold. Heck, he's a peanut compared to the Rock.
He has no acting skills whatsoever, isn't particularly large (compared to other massive actors), and has no charisma. He tries to play the tough guy act way too hard. He's so bad...so so bad...
They both have limited range. Who cares how big they are either. That shouldn't even be a factor. Diesel at the very least fills a niche. He's very good in Riddick.

Old
04-20-2017, 02:44 PM
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi

I think some of you guys are confusing character actors with bad actors. Character actors are like Arnold or Sam Jackson that always play more or less the same role. Arnold is the big, buff action hero and Jackson the angry black guy. Doesn't mean they are bad but their are better options than them if you want something beyond their specialty. They can have some range but they are cast because they do one thing so well.

Bad actors are like Jenifer Anniston and Jaden Smith who bring absolutely nothing that somebody else couldn't do significantly better.

Also, not liking somebody doesn't mean they are bad actors. I can't stand Julia Roberts due to her boring roles but I'm not about to say she's a bad actress.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:50 PM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Saw Money Monster with George Clooney and Julia Roberts.

It's a concept we have seen before(probably on shows like CSI or NY PD Blue) where a guy takes control of a TV station live and demands payback.

Clooney host a finance show of sort that talks about stocks from various company. He's a big showman. Roberts is his producer talking him in his hear. A young man lost a lot of money on stock advises from Clooney and takes control of the show with a gun and bombs.

It is very "Hollywood" and unrealistic. The execution and acting were OK. But the script is just very weak. It doesn't offer anything new as far as debates of ideas. A bad guy stole the money(which made the young man lose everything) of a company and he is caught at the end.

Biggest disappointment was in the Clooney character, I felt. Hosts like these are usually I think big jerks who don't really care who they affect with their advises as long as they get good ratings. But noooo, Clooney had to be the good guy, had to play the hero and he lead the young man to the villain, they caught him and that's it. There was a comedy in the early 00s with Jim Carey and Tea Leoni that tackled a similar subject far better where Alec Baldwin played the bad guy and he was really great in it. In a similar vein, Mad City with Dustin Hoffman was much better, especially more intense.

This felt like a star vehicule with two comfortable stars who did a project on the side in the afternoon between their retirement. I think Clooney has really become a boring guy. To think at some point he was doing Good Night and Good Luck, Three Kings, Syriana, A Dangerous Mind.

Old
04-21-2017, 02:44 AM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
IBad actors are like Jenifer Anniston and Jaden Smith who bring absolutely nothing that somebody else couldn't do significantly better.
Jaden Smith who gets plum roles thanks to his famous actor parents and who ruined The Karate Kid franchise? I hate all the nepotism that goes on in the acting world -- it's as if the offspring of famous people are born with these special genes that allow them to bypass auditions and multiple rejections that the rest of the world has to endure.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Tim Raines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Jaden Smith who gets plum roles thanks to his famous actor parents and who ruined The Karate Kid franchise? I hate all the nepotism that goes on in the acting world -- it's as if the offspring of famous people are born with these special genes that allow them to bypass auditions and multiple rejections that the rest of the world has to endure.
Mamie Gummer says you are absolutely correct. I'm pretty sure without Mom, she'd be somewhere around 572, 456th in line for any lead role.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:45 AM
DAChampion

The majority of white-washed films lose money:
https://www.theatlas.com/charts/SJgYjTqax

Closed Thread