HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline decision.

View Poll Results: What should we do at the trade deadline?
Keep Current roster (no trades/call up players) 14 14.58%
Minor trade for veteran (pick/prospect traded for a veteran) 12 12.50%
Minor trade for picks/prospects(Rucchin "types" traded) 21 21.88%
Major trades for veterans (Top prospects/picks for top veterans) 3 3.13%
Major trades for picks/prospects (Great Purge #2) 4 4.17%
Upgrade (veteran traded to upgrade a weakness) 42 43.75%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2006, 02:53 PM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
Trade Deadline decision.

What should we do at the trade deadline?

Keep Current Roster - No trades, go into playoffs with what we have

Minor trade for veteran - pick or mid level prospect for depth on the NHL roster

Minor trade for prospects/picks - Non-vital veteran for futre pick or prospect

Major trades (top prospects for good veterans) - Every prospect available for B. Richards (Tampa Bay), Doug Weight type players)

Major trades (Top players for top picks/prospects) Jagr for 2 1st rounders + prospects, all potential unrestritcted free agents traded for picks.

Upgrade (trade veteran to upgrade weakness) Weekes for a decent D + lower level backup goalie type deals.

Last edited by DarthSather99: 02-02-2006 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Change title
Old
02-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Glad to see no one voted to trade for veterans... see where that got us in the past...

Old
02-02-2006, 05:21 PM
GarretJoseph*

I wonder what kind of Picks & Prospects we would get for Jagr, Rucinsky, Weeks, Nylander, Straka, Rucchin and Sykora...

Old
02-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Why would anyone deal all our good vets for spects?

Old
02-02-2006, 05:37 PM
GarretJoseph*

I would. They would have to be top prospects and picks on top of it.

If you trade Rucinsky, Straka, Nylander, ect.. Im guessing your only going to piss off Jagr, whats the point in keeping him if you just traded all his friends.

Jagr would bring such a comeback for us. Maybe something Quebec got for Lindros.

Think about it, the best player in the game. Your only paying him 4.3? a year while the caps pick up the rest.

Hes locked up for a few more years.

If you are a cup contender, you gotta admit Jagr could clinch the cup for you.

Old
02-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Janerixon

the rangers should only really look into dealing rucchin and weekes, obviously if someone calls and wants a roszival, malik, poti, rucinsky, and etc for the right price id make a deal but rucchin, although a good guy to have in the lockeroom and possibly a player who may actually pick it up in the playoffs, has been hampered by injuries this year, i dont think he is the player that is going to win a game 7 for us, so id move him

weekes, well this is lundqvist's team, and i want to get a goalie who we can feel confident playing once every 4 games to give henke a break if needed, yes its nice to have a guy like weekes who can be a starter, but weekes has been the same to us as dunham, flashy at times but extremely inconsistent

yes maybe weekes could get hot and be good for us, but it took poti what 2 plus years to get comfortable at the garden, finally there are no boo birds for him, can we afford to wait that long for weekes

again id deal plenty of players on this team, the only guys i wouldnt trade
jagr
lundqvist
prucha
ortmeyer
tyutin
kasper (leader of the defense)
moore

everyone else id at least be willing to listen to offers, but rucchin and weekes are the players that would serve the rangers best by playing elsewhere

Old
02-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Onion Boy

I voted minor pick/prospect trade for a vet (bottom pair D, vet grinder). Reason, we're making the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade, but I'm not entirely convinced that we're are a perennial playoff team. Since we'll probably be in this year, we should make the most of our chances without completely mortgaging the future. No blockbuster deals, but add some playoff grit. We stocked up on prospects the last two drafts, we can afford to trade some mid-range picks. As an aside, I think dealing Rucchin would be foolish.

Old
02-02-2006, 06:16 PM
TUQ

Let youngsters get playoff experience...

Old
02-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Edge

it depends on the trade.

For example I'd pay more for say a Mark Bell because he's young, fits a need and could play for the team for a while. Not saying that's available, just using an example.

Old
02-02-2006, 07:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

For all those who are in favor of dealing Roszival, remember he's only 27 and has been solid more times than not. Everybody commits turnovers. He plays his role well and even contributes some offense every know and then. In fact, I think only Poti is the defenseman who can implode at any time. As good as he has been playing, I'd sell high and you'd probably get a bigger return than for Rozsival

Old
02-03-2006, 01:41 AM
robertch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
I voted minor pick/prospect trade for a vet (bottom pair D, vet grinder). Reason, we're making the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade, but I'm not entirely convinced that we're are a perennial playoff team. Since we'll probably be in this year, we should make the most of our chances without completely mortgaging the future. No blockbuster deals, but add some playoff grit. We stocked up on prospects the last two drafts, we can afford to trade some mid-range picks. As an aside, I think dealing Rucchin would be foolish.

I Agree 100%. This is the right attitute my brotha!

Old
02-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
I would look to add a d-man, but only if he came at a reasonable price (i.e. not Chara/Redden) or is young(ish)

Old
02-03-2006, 08:40 AM
NYR469

what i would do between now and the deadline is try to fix current needs but with the long term future in mind...

and to clarify what i mean by that...we have some voids such as toughness, pointmen, someone to stand in front on the pp, etc that need to be filled before taking the next step and we have to fill those needs either now or later...

but since we have already far exceeded any expectations and will be happy with the season regardless, instead of looking to deal for someone that might be a 30 game rental this year, look for someone that can be part of the team for the next 3-5 years...and if those type of players are too expensive then i'm willing to wait till the summer if needed.

Old
02-03-2006, 12:05 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph
I wonder what kind of Picks & Prospects we would get for Jagr, Rucinsky, Weeks, Nylander, Straka, Rucchin and Sykora...
man would that rock. we could end up with 2 first round picks this year and next year, 3 second round picks this year and next year, and some great young talent for that package. talk about stocking up for our future. we could then use those extra 1sts and 2nds to move up this year and next to grab a guy like Staal or another top pick. Then we just go after a top FA during the offseason to replace Jagr (might not be an exact replacement obviously, but it would be a guy who will be a part of the team for 5 years or more.)

Old
02-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
man would that rock. we could end up with 2 first round picks this year and next year, 3 second round picks this year and next year, and some great young talent for that package. talk about stocking up for our future. we could then use those extra 1sts and 2nds to move up this year and next to grab a guy like Staal or another top pick. Then we just go after a top FA during the offseason to replace Jagr (might not be an exact replacement obviously, but it would be a guy who will be a part of the team for 5 years or more.)
yeah, that would be awesome, maybe in five years from now, we could be tied for the division lead 54 games into the season

Old
02-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

You guys have to be careful what you wish for.

1 - It's Jaromir Jagr we're talking about here... Trade away a couple of his friends in Straka, Ruca or Rozy and who knows how he'll react...

2 - the goal of the game is to win... Not stockpile draft picks... If the Rangers are this good come trade deadline team, a minor move for a experienced defenseman a la Weinrich might be all they need

3 - development... I know you guys are sometimes down on Rozsival and Malik, but most Ranger games I see are on tape delay, so I know the score already... Tyutin, almost reguralry, has by far bigger and more numerous blunders than the Czech pairing... BUT; the team is balanced and deep to cover for him.
You want that enviroment to bring up your rookies, you want a guy like Staal to be able to learn from Malik, Kaspar or Rozsival... Or a guy like Immonen to learn from a guy like Rucchin or Rucinsky.
A winning, or at least a .500 team, is a much better and healthier enviroment to develop your rookies in.
Prime example, "my" two teams... Buffalo and the Pens... And my "3rd" team, NYR.

Nobody will want to play this team come playoff time... A solid, cheap veteran on D is all you need right now, IMO.

Old
02-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
it depends on the trade.

For example I'd pay more for say a Mark Bell because he's young, fits a need and could play for the team for a while. Not saying that's available, just using an example.
What would you pay for him, what do you think is the market for a Bell talent? Especially around the deadline, I think his value his the roof. If a team is gearing up for the playoffs a big, youngish, PF is gonna cost bigtime.

Dawes, Liffiton, 2nd/3rd for Bell?

Old
02-03-2006, 06:30 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

One caution -- we are tied for 5th overall and rank second (just barely) in goals allowed average. We have the best young goaltender to enter the league since Martin Brodeur. There are people who think the Rangers can make a deep run this spring. I doubt if management is still thinking in the same terms they did six months ago. It may be right or wrong but anyone who remembers how the 1986 Canadiens literally stole The Stanley Cup (with 20 year old Patrick Roy and eight rookies, many undistinguished) has got to wonder if Sather or Maloney isn't thinking about one bold stroke that could put this team over the top.

Old
02-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
The Rangers could be a repeat of last year's Flames team; the similarities are actually quite astounding, if you think about it.

I'd say that NYR should make some small transactions to fill holes, but nothing huge.

Old
02-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Canadude*

This could be a special year for the Rangers. They are not THAT far from being a true contender. They need to make a few moves if they can and they have some depth that they can trade something to get something. Lundqvist is one of the best goalies in the NHL, why not make a few tweaks and go for a cup run?

The Rangers will not be this good again for several years IMO.

Old
02-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto
Tyutin, almost reguralry, has by far bigger and more numerous blunders than the Czech pairing...
I don't agree with that statement. Tyutin definitely had some rough outings even into December, but he's probably been the team's best defenseman since the turn of the year.

Old
02-03-2006, 08:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto
I know you guys are sometimes down on Rozsival and Malik, but most Ranger games I see are on tape delay, so I know the score already... Tyutin, almost reguralry, has by far bigger and more numerous blunders than the Czech pairin.
Don't neccesarily agree but let's not forget that Tyutin is a rookie.

02-03-2006, 08:11 PM
DarthSather99

HOT playoff goalies do win Stanley Cups. If that's the case why don't we just try to play our current roster with no trades. Lundqvist is the type of goalie that cna win a series by himself. Maybe for depth we can get one average veteran D man for a low level prospect.

Old
02-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
What would you pay for him, what do you think is the market for a Bell talent? Especially around the deadline, I think his value his the roof. If a team is gearing up for the playoffs a big, youngish, PF is gonna cost bigtime.

Dawes, Liffiton, 2nd/3rd for Bell?
Yup. That's why I couldn't really say what I'd pay.

Old
02-04-2006, 02:51 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Don't neccesarily agree but let's not forget that Tyutin is a rookie.
I'm not forgetting.

But some of the guys here, IMO, are too focused on that fact.
Is he a promising top-4 rookie? Hell yeah.

Is he playing better than Rozsival/Malik... Not yet. And he doesn't face the Gagne/Crosby/Elias/etc,etc... lines every night like the two Czechs do.

Look at the Pens (3-1 score) game for example. He had a couple of horrible giveaways in the 1st and one in the 2nd... All three led to quality scoring chances for the Pens (3 of their like 7 or 8 in the game).

Tyutin has fulfilled my expectations, but, like Prucha and Lundqvist (and deservedly so, I might add) he gets of the hook sometimes.

It's obvious Renney trusts Rozsival and Malik... And Rozsival won back his spot on the PP, and deserved another shot.
There is no better stat to indicate how much a coach trusts a player, than IT/per game.

That said, Rozsival did struggle a bit in December, and was playing nothing like he is since late January on the point... Instead of pouncing on the quietly effective duo of Rozsival/Malik every time they make a mistake, I think they deserve more praise for playing like a valid #1 pairing more nights than not. Anyone playing over their heads like those two, with that good a +/- rating, leading their team in SH IT (ranked very highly all season... their SH IT is overlooked easily cos people concentrate more on the forwards... one Ranger fan actually said Rozsival doesn't kill penalties 45 games into the season), and leading their team in blocked shots, deserve some credit.

To sum it up... I really think Tyutin will be a stud defenseman, and he's been the best Ranger D-man in more than a few games, but overall, I'd rank him behind the Rozsival/Malik pairing, with Kasparaitis. Poti's not that far behind, he's been real solid, IMO, for like the last 20 games or so.

Closed Thread