HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Nikita Zadorov Discussion Part II

Old
02-06-2017, 10:40 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiCenterMagic View Post
He's getting in their heads hahahahahahahaha
I love it. A minute munching monster mashing savage who loves to hit and makes no apologies for it. If he can ever get his offense going we might have something very special here with Nikita.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Foppberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
I love it. A minute munching monster mashing savage who loves to hit and makes no apologies for it. If he can ever get his offense going we might have something very special here with Nikita.
Even if his offense never really comes around.. He'll be one of if not my favourite Av. Based on what we have on the team right now anyways.

Foppberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 10:50 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Well hes got 4 points in his last five with a +1 rating. Hes just starting to find that offensive swagger again.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 11:02 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Well hes got 4 points in his last five with a +1 rating. Hes just starting to find that offensive swagger again.
I still want him to rush the puck up a lot more but yah his points are starting to come of late. I still hold out belief that he scored that one goal and that Martinsen did not touch it.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2017, 11:10 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
I still want him to rush the puck up a lot more but yah his points are starting to come of late. I still hold out belief that he scored that one goal and that Martinsen did not touch it.
Yeah, I do too. Never seen an angle where it looked like he touched it.

Edit: Where are all the Z smash gifs? Thought someone made a thread for that?

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 02-06-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old
02-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Perratrooper

So what do we think big Z is currently? I think he's currently playing at the level of a number 3? But what do you guys think?

Perratrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 06:55 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perratrooper View Post
So what do we think big Z is currently? I think he's currently playing at the level of a number 3? But what do you guys think?
Skill wise I'd call him a 4-5. His impact on the game is much more than that though. Players look for him and avoid him at all costs. A guy like Laine coming down the wing and dumping the puck instead of creating a chance is a major. Instead of having a possible scoring chance against we end up with possession all because Zadorov is terrifying.

Old
02-07-2017, 08:56 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
Skill wise I'd call him a 4-5. His impact on the game is much more than that though. Players look for him and avoid him at all costs. A guy like Laine coming down the wing and dumping the puck instead of creating a chance is a major. Instead of having a possible scoring chance against we end up with possession all because Zadorov is terrifying.
I don't think you can just say "#4-5#" really... He has games like that night that he plays at the level of a #1 for the entire game. Then he has games where he plays like a "4-5."

Solid defensively against top competition

Terrifyingly physical

Pushing the pace and contributing offensively

Nights when he is doing all three of those things, and does not make any huge mistakes that end up in the back of the net, hes a #1. Especially when hes doing it against the other teams top players like Schef and Laine.

Simply put hes inconsistent, but his lows are getting more tolerable.

Old
02-07-2017, 09:14 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
I'm with you here. He still has a number of faults that keep him from being consistently able to be relied on, but he is getting a reputation now and is being allowed to grow a bit more offensively. There will be a dip defensively naturally while he finds his balance, but I'd say he is playing like a 4 on most nights. I know that sounds like he is being disparaged, but it really isn't. He has come a long way over the past year where at times he looked like a talented 6/7. The growth is there. If this path continues, he should be able to be relied upon as a middle pairing D for next season.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Perratrooper

Does he remind any of you of a young Avs EJ? He does for me. EJ showed flashes of greatness, but also would fall off hard the next game or two, I feel like Z is a little better for not falling off as hard, but he also doesn't peak as high offensively imo.

Old
02-07-2017, 09:16 AM
flyfysher

Quote:
I don't think you can just say "#4-5#" really... He has games like that night that he plays at the level of a #1 for the entire game. Then he has games where he plays like a "4-5."

Terrifyingly physical

Nights when he is doing all three of those things, and does not make any huge mistakes that end up in the back of the net, hes a #1. Especially when hes doing it against the other teams top players like Schef and Laine.

1. He's capable of making the opponent change the way they play when he's on the ice such that it changed the whole complexion of the game. The Jets game proved that.
2. He's physical.
3. He definitely belongs in the NHL.
4. Ask the same question at the end of the season and compare his play with where he started.

If we get Mironov, teams will hate playing the Boom Brothers. These mean *** SOB's will be lighting players up coast to coast.

flyfysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 09:20 AM
JoemAvs

Quote:

Terrifyingly physical

#1 is very much a stretch.

He has been the best D on a team that is icing two geezers and 3 AHLers next to him.

Don't get me wrong. I loved his game against the Jets.

But Z is far, far away from being a #1 right now.

I agree with kento and henchy. Right now he is more of a #4/5 kind of guy on a good team.

If he can improve his decision making and stop the ridiculous mistakes he makes every other game, he could turn into a #2/3 guy next year if we get lucky.

If he takes that step next year and can be a great compliment to EJ on the top pairing, I might be willing to discuss him having a chance of developing into a #1 D but right now I don't see it. His offensive game right now is very much a work in progress (he has to really focus on shot accuracy in the offseason) and he is way too mistake prone for now.

I love the dude as much as everyone but I fear he is getting a bit overrated thanks to his hard-hitting game that very much pleases the eye.

He still needs another 1-2 years of steady development before we can really see what we have with him...

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 09:24 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
#1 is very much a stretch.

He has been the best D on a team that is icing two geezers and 3 AHLers next to him.

Don't get me wrong. I loved his game against the Jets.

But Z is far, far away from being a #1 right now.

I agree with kento and henchy. Right now he is more of a #4/5 kind of guy.

If he can improve his decision making and stop the ridiculous mistakes he makes every other game, he could turn into a #2/3 guy next year if we get lucky.

If he takes that step next year and can be a great compliment to EJ on the top pairing, I might be willing to discuss him having a chance of developing into a #1 D but right now I don't see it. His offensive game right now is very much a work in progress (he has to really focus on shot accuracy in the offseason) and he is way too mistake prone for now.

I love the dude as much as everyone but I fear he is getting a bit overrated thanks to his hard-hitting game that very much pleases the eye.
Simple fact... If he out plays the other teams top offensive line, hes a #1 on that night. Give credit where it's due, why is it so bad to say he has games where he plays at that level? There is a clear separation between saying he has games at that level, and that he "Is" a number 1 defender.

Old
02-07-2017, 09:25 AM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Simple fact... If he out plays the other teams top offensive line, hes a #1 on that night. Give credit where it's due.
So what you are saying is that Barrie is a legit #1 D on some nights ?

Of course he had a marvelous game and is the bright spot in a very dark season but IMO the hype is getting a bit out of control.

Zads is still very raw and has a long, long way to go if he wants to really become a #1 D.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 09:26 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
So what you are saying is that Barrie is a legit #1 D on some nights ?
When was the last time that goof outplayed a second line let alone a teams top line? lol nice try...

Edit : Barrie has had days like that, but it's been a while. Like 1.5 seasons ago before being Matt Cooked...

Old
02-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Perratrooper

Quote:
Simple fact... If he out plays the other teams top offensive line, hes a #1 on that night. Give credit where it's due, why is it so bad to say he has games where he plays at that level? There is a clear separation between saying he has games at that level, and that he "Is" a number 1 defender.
Jesus, how do so many teams have number ones when playing the Avs!?

Old
02-07-2017, 09:28 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perratrooper View Post
Jesus, how do so many teams have number ones when playing the Avs!?
Rotfl fair enough

Old
02-07-2017, 09:32 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I really don't see the Z having the decision making and offensive game to be a legit #1 in the NHL. If it happens, it will be 4-5 years off. Right now, I'd be happy with him continuing to grow into a 3/4 for next year and maybe a guy that in ~2 seasons can be a #2.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 09:32 AM
flyfysher

Quote:
Zads played like a #1 against the Jets. He's not a #1 yet but we all certainly saw what he was capable of.

flyfysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Perratrooper

I honestly think Z is a 3/4, yes he has games where he plays like a 5 and yes he has games where he plays like a 2, maybe I'm more optimistic than most, but he is playing exceedingly well with seemingly no defensive help so that is why I am leaning towards him being a #3. Yes he has blunders where he passes the puck right through the slot tape to tape on an opponents stick, but he also has games where he is a difference maker every shift. Yes he needs to work on his positioning, knowing when to pinch, not taking stupid penalties (has gotten better) and also when to put a guys head through his ***. Zads has made leaps and bounds from the start of the season to now and because of him I'm starting to finally let go on the ROR trade.

Old
02-07-2017, 09:48 AM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I really don't see the Z having the decision making and offensive game to be a legit #1 in the NHL. If it happens, it will be 4-5 years off. Right now, I'd be happy with him continuing to grow into a 3/4 for next year and maybe a guy that in ~2 seasons can be a #2.
I agree with this. If all he becomes is a steady #2 that other teams fear when he is on the ice then the trade is a win for me regardless of what Greer, Compher, etc become.

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Avalanche

Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 11:40 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Nice to see a little remorse there. But LOL. Z was married before he was traded too.

Z is doing well and it's not just the hits. He's eating a lot of minutes and is playing good defense. If we got in another young D he would have growing pains too. Z is a legit top 4 D IMO.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Nice to see a little remorse there. But LOL. Z was married before he was traded too.

Z is doing well and it's not just the hits. He's eating a lot of minutes and is playing good defense. If we got in another young D he would have growing pains too. Z is a legit top 4 D IMO.
Did he give you the impression he worked in reality?

Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2017, 11:37 PM
ibengals
"Is Roy Squinting?"

Tyler Ennis for Zadorov?

ibengals is offline   Reply With Quote