HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kovalchuk is a monster

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Bobby Orr's Knees

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk is a monster

Went to Bolts vs. Thrash game last night. Visiting parents, if anyone's wondering . Kovalchuk is looking scary these days. I have not seen anybody so dominant since Mario (flame away!).

Every time he was on the ice, the crowd held its collective breath. Aside from everything we already know (speed, strength, skill, desire, etc.) -- his passing was phenomenal. There was one little pass he made that was SO SLICK, my jaw dropped. The Thrashers didn't convert, but still... And while I wouldn't call him a Selke candidate just yet (understatement of a year), his defense is actually decent now. He is maturing into an amazing player.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Peter25

The next question is:

When will Kovalchuk become world´s best hockey player?

Old
10-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
In the next 2 or 3 years. Or whenever Forsberg or Lidstrom leave the NHL. He is certainly top 3, in my opinion, as far as dangerous players in the NHL.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25
The next question is:

When will Kovalchuk become world´s best hockey player?
Well he's already the NHL's best player through two weeks.
That's a start.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Frozen Testicle

vCash:
I wouldn't rush to conclusions just yet he could be this years Gaborik and fade, but i think his ceiling is waaay higher than Gaborik and he'll net around 50 this year.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:36 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Testicle
I wouldn't rush to conclusions just yet he could be this years Gaborik and fade, but i think his ceiling is waaay higher than Gaborik and he'll net around 50 this year.
That makes no sense at all, Gaborik is still a freakishly amazing player just because he isn't playing now doesn't mean anything.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:50 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
That makes no sense at all, Gaborik is still a freakishly amazing player just because he isn't playing now doesn't mean anything.
I think he's referring to last year when Gaborik lit it up for the first half of the season but then slumped in the second half.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:56 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
That's a start.

Maybe when he learns to play defence, or scores an even-strength goal, we can call him the best.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
Aside from everything we already know (speed, strength, skill, desire, etc.) -- his passing was phenomenal.
Those of us who actually have watched him ever since he came in the league already knew that.

And have said so repeatedly.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Atlanta Jim

Kovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi

Maybe when he learns to play defence, or scores an even-strength goal, we can call him the best.
I think what makes Kovalchuk different is the MEAN STREAK in him that you really pick up on when you see him in person. You CANNOT itimidate this guy. He's got to learn what Hartly wants from him on defense so he stays on the ice for 25 minutes a game. If he stays out there he's going to rack up some BIG numbers. He got one last night and had another clang of the post. So far he's knocking enough people around that he plays a lot. I hope he maintains that ice-time. And he may not be playing the best right now on the Thrashers.......Mark Savard has been awesome.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Those of us who actually have watched him ever since he came in the league already knew that.

And have said so repeatedly.
Funny how people have ignored it for so long, hmm? Kovalchuk is an incredible passer. The one on I saw on the hilites last nights (through the legs to McEachern) just goes to show.

But what I think people will be most surprised in him is his fire, his tenacity, and his pure desire to win. He has an Yzerman-like desire in him, but much more firey. Very unique player.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Damn straight Kovalchuk has fire. A Maurice Richard comparison wouldn't be too far off the mark.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:33 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
This guy's such a stud. I also heard he dropped 20 pounds this offseason. Used to be 240 pounds and now is around 220.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Stuy

IMO he is right now the most exciting player in the NHL. I would pay to see him more than any other player in the NHL.

10-22-2003, 11:37 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I've predicted kovalchuk to win the rocket richard. Sure off to a great start.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
This guy's such a stud. I also heard he dropped 20 pounds this offseason. Used to be 240 pounds and now is around 220.
240??? That's ******* heavy!!! I mean 220 is still extremely heavy for a guy who should use his offensive skills and not his physical skills!

Old
10-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Kovalchuk's fire and desire are what make him so great. He's not one of those guys with all the talent in the world and no desire. He has it, and the accident this year has fuelled it. He's been absolutely phenomenal thus far. I can't wait to see how he plays over the full season...and he's only 20!

~Canucklehead~

10-22-2003, 12:18 PM
beerpaul*

Kovalchuk and Heatley are easily the two best under-25 players in the world. I'd venture to say they both might be in the top 5 or 7 overall. Don't overlook this one fact though. Who was Heatley's centreman from January on last year when Heatley's numbers started going through the roof? Who is Kovalchuk's centreman this year? Kovalchuk was just voted player of the week in the NHL, and is leading the league in goals(and nearly points). Answer: Marc Savard. Savard is easily the least talked about "elite" player in the NHL. If you watch him exclusively, for an entire game, you will see all the great intelligent outlet passes he makes. He sees the ice as well as anyone, and has Gretzky-like playmaking ability. (No I'm not comparing Marc to Gretzky...there was and only will be one Wayne Gretzky). I watched him throughout his junior career and the two things I've noticed he hasn't utilized from there to the Pro's is: He has a cannon of a slap-shot that he rarely uses, and he would make unbelievable passes to team-mates using the angles off the boards. I'd love to see him use these skills regularly in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
Went to Bolts vs. Thrash game last night. Visiting parents, if anyone's wondering . Kovalchuk is looking scary these days. I have not seen anybody so dominant since Mario (flame away!).

Every time he was on the ice, the crowd held its collective breath. Aside from everything we already know (speed, strength, skill, desire, etc.) -- his passing was phenomenal. There was one little pass he made that was SO SLICK, my jaw dropped. The Thrashers didn't convert, but still... And while I wouldn't call him a Selke candidate just yet (understatement of a year), his defense is actually decent now. He is maturing into an amazing player.

Old
10-22-2003, 01:16 PM
kruezer

I liked some of the moves Button made in Calgary, but Savard for RUSLAN ZAINULLIN? What a horrible move, Iginla would be far more consistent with Savard still centering him IMO.

Speaking Gaborik slumping in the second half, who was it that got flamed for calling him to score 30 goals after he had 21 through the first half?

Old
10-22-2003, 01:20 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
That's a start.
Ziggy... the player of the month... may have something to say about that!

Old
10-22-2003, 02:06 PM
Dupuis>Ilya

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerpaul
Who was Heatley's centreman from January on last year when Heatley's numbers started going through the roof? Who is Kovalchuk's centreman this year? Kovalchuk was just voted player of the week in the NHL, and is leading the league in goals(and nearly points). Answer: Marc Savard.
No, Patrik Stefan has been Kovalchuk's center this year. Savard centers Kozlov and McEachern.

Savard gets power play time with Kovalchuk, however, but Ilya plays on the point in man-advantage situations.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:14 PM
Voynich

Savard hasn't been centering Kovalchuk's line.

Stefan has.

Now there are some rare occurences where they've been out there on the same line, but no more than Kovalchuk has been out there with Randy Robitaille as his center.

I'm not counting power play time in this, since Ilya's been playing the point on the pp.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Voynich

Great minds think alike.

Closed Thread