HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Observations XV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2017, 07:26 AM
  #26
Preds33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 8,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
That was a really good win- we needed it badly. We have now held the Oilers to 2 goals in 125 minutes- not bad at all.

Too bad the loss to Pittsburgh eliminated us from contention or else this one would have had even more meaning.....
I do not think anyone said it eliminated us from contention, just that it showed us where we stand against the true elite teams. I would call this team a pretender right now. They have some strong games, but not enough to get the job done yet.

We will probably see the same result against Washington later this month.

Preds33 is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 07:38 AM
  #27
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Schroedingers box
Country: United States
Posts: 24,998
vCash: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I do not think anyone said it eliminated us from contention, just that it showed us where we stand against the true elite teams. I would call this team a pretender right now. They have some strong games, but not enough to get the job done yet.

We will probably see the same result against Washington later this month.
Sorry, but reading anything regarding playoff success based on one game in early February is a fools errand. Too much can change by the time it becomes relevant, and quite frankly, if we are worried about losing to Pittsburgh(or Washington) who we could only face in the SC Finals... well, you're doing it wrong.

We beat Minnesota on the road, at the end of a 5 game road trip, without Josi. If you want to extrapolate our potential for playoff success from one game, I'd recommend using that one

__________________
Surgeon General's Warning: Shea Weber may be hazardous to your health.
PredsV82 is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 07:59 AM
  #28
token grinder
Facts Get Deleted
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alleged Mod Abuser
Country: United States
Posts: 4,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Sorry, but reading anything regarding playoff success based on one game in early February is a fools errand. Too much can change by the time it becomes relevant, and quite frankly, if we are worried about losing to Pittsburgh(or Washington) who we could only face in the SC Finals... well, you're doing it wrong.

We beat Minnesota on the road, at the end of a 5 game road trip, without Josi. If you want to extrapolate our potential for playoff success from one game, I'd recommend using that one
Stop it with your alternative facts. It doesn't fit the narrative around here.


I try to decide and can't, which is our biggest tire fire right now and it is close between the PP and the bottom pair. I think I don't breathe when Weber and Bitetto run around the defensive zone looking like my beer league team rather than a serviceable pairing.

And before someone brings up holding the Oil and McJesus off the board, that was a whole lot of Mike Fisher and Ryan Ellis. They were fantastic last night.

token grinder is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 08:51 AM
  #29
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I do not think anyone said it eliminated us from contention, just that it showed us where we stand against the true elite teams. I would call this team a pretender right now. They have some strong games, but not enough to get the job done yet.

We will probably see the same result against Washington later this month.
You just proved the entire point of my sarcastic post- that that one Pittsburgh game is what determines whether we can beat elite teams. While completely ignoring all the recent wins we have over the top teams....

drwpreds is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 09:58 AM
  #30
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4,117
vCash: 500
The discussion on us against the elite teams got me wondering just how we are doing:

Against the top 4 teams in the league we are 3-2-1

We are currently #12 overall in the league- against the top 11 teams we are a combined 9-7-3 (would be 8-4-3 if not for 3 freaking losses to the Hawks).


So while we certainly have not been dominant, we have at the very least held our own against the good teams in the league. And have done so while being severely shorthanded most of the season.

drwpreds is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 10:24 AM
  #31
TitansVolsPreds615
Registered User
 
TitansVolsPreds615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Matt Irwin baby

TitansVolsPreds615 is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 10:33 AM
  #32
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 4,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansVolsPreds615 View Post
Matt Irwin baby
I really keep waiting for him to fall off, like in a deep dark pit. He just keeps at it. Possibly the best bottom bin pick up Poile has found in a while.

Armourboy is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 11:11 AM
  #33
glenngineer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
The discussion on us against the elite teams got me wondering just how we are doing:

Against the top 4 teams in the league we are 3-2-1

We are currently #12 overall in the league- against the top 11 teams we are a combined 9-7-3 (would be 8-4-3 if not for 3 freaking losses to the Hawks).


So while we certainly have not been dominant, we have at the very least held our own against the good teams in the league. And have done so while being severely shorthanded most of the season.
And all we have to do is be 4-3 every playoff series and we keep going.

glenngineer is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 11:18 AM
  #34
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,912
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
The discussion on us against the elite teams got me wondering just how we are doing:

Against the top 4 teams in the league we are 3-2-1

We are currently #12 overall in the league- against the top 11 teams we are a combined 9-7-3 (would be 8-4-3 if not for 3 freaking losses to the Hawks).


So while we certainly have not been dominant, we have at the very least held our own against the good teams in the league. And have done so while being severely shorthanded most of the season.
So, basically, you're implying for some reason we achieve better results against the demonstrably better teams? Cause we better hope so - we have the 7th most difficult remaining schedule, based on opponents record.

deanwormer is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 11:23 AM
  #35
glenngineer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,748
vCash: 500
Jerks and not jerks of the NHL.

http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/t...B-B&view=lista

Interesting link. Look at the top 4 in particular.

glenngineer is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 11:24 AM
  #36
Drake744
Tennessweden
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,472
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
So, basically, you're implying for some reason we achieve better results against the demonstrably better teams? Cause we better hope so - we have the 7th most difficult remaining schedule, based on opponents record.
If we go back to either last year or the year before (hell, maybe both I don't remember) we were having a lot of success but when you looked at results you would see that we were owning lesser teams and struggling against playoff teams. Whatever the case is, the trend of playing better this season against the contenders is certainly a good sign if nothing else.

Drake744 is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 11:48 AM
  #37
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
So, basically, you're implying for some reason we achieve better results against the demonstrably better teams? Cause we better hope so - we have the 7th most difficult remaining schedule, based on opponents record.
Basically I researched and posted that because of some on here who after every loss to a good team use that as evidence that we aren't good enough to compete with upper echelon teams.

9-7-3 isn't incredible or anything, but not bad considering how shorthanded we have been pretty much all year.

drwpreds is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 12:20 PM
  #38
Preds33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 8,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Basically I researched and posted that because of some on here who after every loss to a good team use that as evidence that we aren't good enough to compete with upper echelon teams.

9-7-3 isn't incredible or anything, but not bad considering how shorthanded we have been pretty much all year.
I just do not see this team winning 4 out of 7 against these teams. That's all I'm saying. I may end up being wrong, but I just have a very bad feeling with the current state of this team and their history.

- Definitely will not win 4 against the Wild, 2 maybe, but I just do not see 4. As long as Dubnyk is in net, he owns this team.
- for Chicago we will win 1, maybe 2, but they will both be home games. Nashville hasn't won in Chicago in years.

Preds33 is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 12:46 PM
  #39
TitansVolsPreds615
Registered User
 
TitansVolsPreds615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Nashville hasn't won in Chicago in years.
We won in Chicago less than a year ago....

TitansVolsPreds615 is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 12:55 PM
  #40
Preds33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 8,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansVolsPreds615 View Post
We won in Chicago less than a year ago....
Ok, so we are 1-5-2 (including playoffs) in Chicago since PL took over. I forgot about 1 win.

Preds33 is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 02:07 PM
  #41
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I just do not see this team winning 4 out of 7 against these teams. That's all I'm saying. I may end up being wrong, but I just have a very bad feeling with the current state of this team and their history.

- Definitely will not win 4 against the Wild, 2 maybe, but I just do not see 4. As long as Dubnyk is in net, he owns this team.
- for Chicago we will win 1, maybe 2, but they will both be home games. Nashville hasn't won in Chicago in years.
And for the millionth time, you (and others) were saying the same thing last year at this time.

No one knows what is going to happen- those teams will all be tough to beat no question. But for anyone to just outright totally dismiss any possibility of it happening is completely ridiculous.

drwpreds is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 02:18 PM
  #42
FossilFndr
Registered User
 
FossilFndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,330
vCash: 500
Lets get to the playoffs, anything can happen in 7 games.

FossilFndr is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 03:22 PM
  #43
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 10,035
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Good thing players never get as up and down as fans.

Win the first 2 in Anaheim. WE'RE GOING TO SWEEP THEM!

Lose the next 3 including 2 at home. JUST PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY IN GAME 6!

Win game 6 and game 7. TEAM OF DESTINY!

Lose first 2 in San Jose. Series over. Just can't compete with them.

Win next 2 in Nashville. TEAM OF DESTINY BACK ON!

Lose game 5. Just outclassed. We can't beat them.

Game 6. ARVY! TEAM OF DESTINY ONCE AGAIN!

Game 7. Bunch of loser scrubs. Didn't deserve to be in the playoffs in the first place.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 03:46 PM
  #44
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Good thing players never get as up and down as fans.

Win the first 2 in Anaheim. WE'RE GOING TO SWEEP THEM!

Lose the next 3 including 2 at home. JUST PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY IN GAME 6!

Win game 6 and game 7. TEAM OF DESTINY!

Lose first 2 in San Jose. Series over. Just can't compete with them.

Win next 2 in Nashville. TEAM OF DESTINY BACK ON!

Lose game 5. Just outclassed. We can't beat them.

Game 6. ARVY! TEAM OF DESTINY ONCE AGAIN!

Game 7. Bunch of loser scrubs. Didn't deserve to be in the playoffs in the first place.
LOL- that one post pretty much perfectly sums up this board in a nutshell..

drwpreds is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 03:50 PM
  #45
Preds33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 8,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
LOL- that one post pretty much perfectly sums up this board in a nutshell..
Sums up most fans in a nutshell. This is sort of what have you done for me lately type of business and by lately I mean last couple of days (unless they are on a win streak). It's like 303 said weeks ago, 1 mistake wipes out 10 instances of success emotionally at least.

Preds33 is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 05:06 PM
  #46
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Sums up most fans in a nutshell. This is sort of what have you done for me lately type of business and by lately I mean last couple of days (unless they are on a win streak). It's like 303 said weeks ago, 1 mistake wipes out 10 instances of success emotionally at least.
Yep- and although I think I have somehow developed a reputation on this board as an "optimistic" fan, if any of you knew me in real life you would see that it really isn't the case- I am a pretty pessimistic sports fan in general- always expecting the worst to happen for the teams I am passionate about.

drwpreds is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 07:57 PM
  #47
Mypetrobot
sua sponte
 
Mypetrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Good thing players never get as up and down as fans.

Win the first 2 in Anaheim. WE'RE GOING TO SWEEP THEM!

Lose the next 3 including 2 at home. JUST PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY IN GAME 6!

Win game 6 and game 7. TEAM OF DESTINY!

Lose first 2 in San Jose. Series over. Just can't compete with them.

Win next 2 in Nashville. TEAM OF DESTINY BACK ON!

Lose game 5. Just outclassed. We can't beat them.

Game 6. ARVY! TEAM OF DESTINY ONCE AGAIN!

Game 7. Bunch of loser scrubs. Didn't deserve to be in the playoffs in the first place.
Yep and then they trade the captain away...

And now people think ryjo is gonna sign for 500k more AAV compared to duchene who's a #2 center who signed his contract years ago.

Mypetrobot is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 09:05 PM
  #48
Adz
Eudora Wannabe
 
Adz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hermitage TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mypetrobot View Post
Yep and then they trade the captain away...
For PK Subban. They traded Shea Freakin Weber straight up for PK Freakin Subban. Not anywhere near "Team of Destiny" vs "We're OutCLASSED" in the same week. This will take at least a year.

Adz is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 09:13 PM
  #49
Pred303
Registered User
 
Pred303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,113
vCash: 50
Cann't understand why everyone is posting like their hair is on fire and not just enjoying the fact we are 8-2-1 in our last eleven games. and playing the best hockey of the year. Instead it reads like we are 1-8-2.

These shouldn't be the times that tries men's souls and cause everyone to fret about what we aren't or who we need desperately to trade for. These are the times to enjoy while we are playing good hockey and making a run at chasing down Chicago. These are the good times. Enjoy them while you can.


Last edited by Pred303: 02-03-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Pred303 is offline  
Old
02-03-2017, 09:19 PM
  #50
Mypetrobot
sua sponte
 
Mypetrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
For PK Subban. They traded Shea Freakin Weber straight up for PK Freakin Subban. Not anywhere near "Team of Destiny" vs "We're OutCLASSED" in the same week. This will take at least a year.
The point being if we are one win away why would you blow up the franchise, but the preds are trending better except the PP.

But it's done and over. Worrying about the current roster I'd how much better ask how the preds play their hand.

I said before josis' concussions makes him liable. He's not the Crosby equivalent on defense and he's one hit away from retirement. He's gonna get the skinner treatment if he hasn't already

Mypetrobot is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.