HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible Trade-deadline Aquisitions

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Safir*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnytheman
Hartnell would cost you Spezza, he's basically Nashville's star. He would be awesome though, but he's really inexperienced, I think Ottawa should go with more experienced players. This is the year to win it.

This may be out of left field, but would you guys consider trading Spezza to improve the team? Like, for example:

Spezza and Vermette for Marleau and Sturm (or something like that)
or
Spezza for Zednik and Souray (i think somebody mentioned a top 4 d-man)
or
Spezza for.......anyone?

I'm a habs fan first and foremost, but I REALLY want Ottawa to win it this year, enough with Detroit, Colorado and New Jersey. Anyone of those trades, IMO, put Ottawa over the top.

What do you guys think?
Go back under your bridge and stay there!

Old
11-03-2003, 02:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

sadly, though he might be trolling to some extent...he's PRETTY much correct. you'd have to overpay to compensate what hartnell means to the predators. he's cheap(1.2 mil a year, for the next couple of years after resigning this summer) and is one of the few guys that brings it EVERY night. has shown signs early of turning into the power forward he was advertised to be after improving his skating. it might not be SPEZZA, but you'd definitely have to give up more than you'd want to.

Old
11-04-2003, 12:23 AM
Spezza

Hartnell isn't a good example of what a good trade deadline acquisition wouldn't be. His trade value is high because of the number of years he's an RFA.

Hartnell is more a core changing trade.

The better trade deadline pickups (i.e. cheap) are soon to be UFAs. They won't cost as much and you aren't tied into there salary either for more than a few months.

Old
11-06-2003, 02:58 AM
bb74

Forget Rolston - The B's will try to get him on an extension this year prior to the trade deadline and the B's should also make the playoffs this year in the 4-6 spots so we could even meet up on the semi or conf finals. He also like the Boston area and has a pro-active agent and dealings with the B's GM.

Next year is going to be unique in terms of contracts as the CBA expires in mid Sept (if I remember correctly).

As for Ottawa - they have what it takes to make a run today so I don't see the need for such a drastic upgrade of the roster and with the east and west wide open, who knows what you will need in the early rounds to get through.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:39 AM
sluggo*

Quote:
Gary Roberts - If (and its not a big if) the Leafs are out of the playoffs, this trade could be a possibility as Roberts would bring playoff determination to the lineup. They could even rest him down the stretch and hope he has a good playoffs (when he replaces Varada ).
If the Leafs are out of the playoffs by Dec. or the Deadline I think its very possible the team could be blown up and if it is Roberts could have some good trade value, however the Leafs WILL NOT deal with the Senators, unless the Sens offer to over pay for Roberts so much they simply can't turn it down.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:17 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
If the Leafs are out of the playoffs by Dec. or the Deadline I think its very possible the team could be blown up and if it is Roberts could have some good trade value, however the Leafs WILL NOT deal with the Senators, unless the Sens offer to over pay for Roberts so much they simply can't turn it down.
Why exactly would the leafs NOT trade a player to the senators who will only play for a maximum of one more season? Does the Leafs org. have something against the sens organization? Just because there exists a rivavlry between the fans does not imply that there is a rivalry in the management. If the deal has good value for the Maple Leafs and they are out of the playoffs then they will do it. I really don't think Toronto would turn down a good offer just to spite the Senators.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:22 AM
sluggo*

Well Volchenkov, I don't really know if you've noticed or not but the Leafs and Senators have a bit of a rivalry going on and don't like each other very much. There are some teams that just won't deal with each other. The Wings will never send Cujo to the Avs, even if the Wings are out of the playoffs (again, unless the Avs offer a deal the team just can't turn down). The Leafs and Senators are like that as well. The only way Roberts will get dealt to the Senators is if they offer a package like Spezza and a first round pick - grossly over paying for a player, and a deal the Leafs just can't turn down.

Reverse it. If Hossa's contract is up at the end of the year (and I don't know if it is or not, but just for the sake of arguement lets say it is) and the Senators were sure they wouldn't be able to re-sign him (for whatever reason - money, new CBA, Hossa wanted out, whatever) and the Senators were out of the play-offs would they trade Hossa to the Leafs? Not a chance in hell

Old
11-06-2003, 09:12 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Well Volchenkov, I don't really know if you've noticed or not but the Leafs and Senators have a bit of a rivalry going on and don't like each other very much. There are some teams that just won't deal with each other. The Wings will never send Cujo to the Avs, even if the Wings are out of the playoffs (again, unless the Avs offer a deal the team just can't turn down). The Leafs and Senators are like that as well. The only way Roberts will get dealt to the Senators is if they offer a package like Spezza and a first round pick - grossly over paying for a player, and a deal the Leafs just can't turn down.

Reverse it. If Hossa's contract is up at the end of the year (and I don't know if it is or not, but just for the sake of arguement lets say it is) and the Senators were sure they wouldn't be able to re-sign him (for whatever reason - money, new CBA, Hossa wanted out, whatever) and the Senators were out of the play-offs would they trade Hossa to the Leafs? Not a chance in hell
The MAJOR difference between the two is that Roberts is at the end of his career and will pretty much only be a role player. CuJo will still be playing at a high level for a few more years. Hossa will still be playing at a high level for many years. While there is a rivalry between the two teams - they may make a deal which makes sense for both teams. Heck the Yanks and Mariners made a deal - as did the Yanks and the Mets. The people who run the Leafs are mature individuals. If Roberts - whose value is close to nil as a hockey player now and is clearly at the end of his career - wants to be traded to a contender I don't think the Maple Leafs would be against trading him to the Senators.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:25 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
The MAJOR difference between the two is that Roberts is at the end of his career and will pretty much only be a role player. CuJo will still be playing at a high level for a few more years. Hossa will still be playing at a high level for many years. While there is a rivalry between the two teams - they may make a deal which makes sense for both teams. Heck the Yanks and Mariners made a deal - as did the Yanks and the Mets. The people who run the Leafs are mature individuals. If Roberts - whose value is close to nil as a hockey player now and is clearly at the end of his career - wants to be traded to a contender I don't think the Maple Leafs would be against trading him to the Senators.
Roberts may still have another year or two after this season. He could retire, but the Leafs don't know what his plans are. As long as there's a possibility that they could play the Sens in a playoffs series, Roberts won't be traded to the Sens.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:42 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Roberts may still have another year or two after this season. He could retire, but the Leafs don't know what his plans are. As long as there's a possibility that they could play the Sens in a playoffs series, Roberts won't be traded to the Sens.
He's clearly at the end of his career. He won't be much of a contributor even next season. I think people overrate the effect of a rivalry in trades.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:04 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
He's clearly at the end of his career. He won't be much of a contributor even next season. I think people overrate the effect of a rivalry in trades.
He may not be much of an on-ice contributor, but his presence in an Ottawa line-up would give this team a physcological edge over the Leafs if they ever met again in the playoffs. It's the same reason this team has considered acquiring Stumpy Thomas on a few occassions.

Old
11-06-2003, 12:22 PM
kidchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnytheman
Hartnell would cost you Spezza, he's basically Nashville's star. He would be awesome though, but he's really inexperienced, I think Ottawa should go with more experienced players. This is the year to win it.

This may be out of left field, but would you guys consider trading Spezza to improve the team? Like, for example:

Spezza and Vermette for Marleau and Sturm (or something like that)
or
Spezza for Zednik and Souray (i think somebody mentioned a top 4 d-man)
or
Spezza for.......anyone?

I'm a habs fan first and foremost, but I REALLY want Ottawa to win it this year, enough with Detroit, Colorado and New Jersey. Anyone of those trades, IMO, put Ottawa over the top.

What do you guys think?
spezza is untouchable ...no matter what the latest hockey news says....have you seen his moves???? wow

Closed Thread