Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2017, 02:03 PM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviddd View Post
I'm pretty sure the consensus was that Detroit was planning on picking Stanley which is why the Jets had traded up. I don't agree with the move but I'm pretty sure that was their reasoning behind it.
My response to this always has been- if Stanley doesn't pan out, are the Detroit Red Wings gonna give the Jets a compensatory 1st and 2nd round pick? If not, what Detroit wanted to do should have zero relevance

Old
03-20-2017, 03:01 PM
McDLT
ShamWow Inventor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
I didn't care much yesterday but I woke up this morning absolutely pissed at the 2 points last night. That win could be the difference between 7th and 11th seed at the end of the season. I bet they are going to go on their famed garbage time runs now that it's all but over and ruin our draft position
The garbage time jets are a top 5 team.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Rookie109

100% tank the season already.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:56 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie109 View Post
100% tank the season already.
Management will probably do their best to make this happen. The players that are left standing: that's a different story.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:07 PM
blueandgoldguy

It's pretty funny that some posters are getting worked up about the Jets winning a few games down the stretch in what will likely be the worst draft in the past generation going back to 1996 or 1999. Even the top picks in this upcoming draft are thought to be low level first liners or high end second liners.

I would rather see some progress by the team - say a 5 - 7 point improvement to go along with better defense and better goaltending - and miss the playoffs rather then show further regression from last year's disappointing team.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:17 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
It's pretty funny that some posters are getting worked up about the Jets winning a few games down the stretch in what will likely be the worst draft in the past generation going back to 1996 or 1999. Even the top picks in this upcoming draft are thought to be low level first liners or high end second liners.

I would rather see some progress by the team - say a 5 - 7 point improvement to go along with better defense and better goaltending - and miss the playoffs rather then show further regression from last year's disappointing team.
By my way of thinking, if it's that bad, all the more reason to want as high a pick as possible. It's those deep drafts where you don't sweat picking further down. N'est-ce pas?

Old
03-20-2017, 08:22 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
By my way of thinking, if it's that bad, all the more reason to want as high a pick as possible. It's those deep drafts where you don't sweat picking further down. N'est-ce pas?
My understanding is that there is a lot of parity 3-15 with no one really standing out from the rest.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:33 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
My understanding is that there is a lot of parity 3-15 with no one really standing out from the rest.
There may be less league wide consensus in comparison to other years, but that doesn't mean our scouts won't have a defined order of preference. Drafting higher means you're more likely to get the player you want, more room to trade down & acquire additional assets.

Old
03-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:

That's been my stance for awhile too.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:47 PM
GoJetsGo204

Watched Hague play a few days ago. Really controlled the game, had an assist, and fought the captain on the opposing team (and won) after making a few hard hits. He can skate, hold his own physically, isn't afraid to get his nose dirty, and makes safe, smart plays in the D Zone. Overall really impressive.

If the jets can pick him up in the 2nd, thats a steal imo.

Old
03-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
I think b&g guy has mischaracterized this draft. Just my impression from reading here but I think it is deeper/stronger than last year's very weak class except that it lacks the standout top 5/6. Roughly speaking, everybody from 3-20 is near equal. Maybe that should be 4-30. Details. There are a lot of good players this year but if we can't pick top 3 then a few spots up or down don't make much difference but we should still be able to get a very good player with our first.

I wish we would be able to get another first this year and draft a L/R pair of D. Not worried by winning a few games in garbage time though.

Old
03-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Tank going hard core

Old
03-21-2017, 11:23 AM
wpgsilver

I'm not necessarily pro-tank, but the fun part of this time of year is that every game is a win.
If we win, I'm certainly not upset.
If we lose, we get, in theory, a better draft pick, certainly not upset about that.

I'm pretty happy after each game....

03-21-2017, 12:00 PM
fkdog
'Noo'

vCash: 5797
we've seen Liljigren fall pretty far since last summer.
Does anyone think this is the same as Chychrun - where Chychrun was considered ranked 2 or 3 back in fall 2015 and fell way too far?
From what I've read it seems that Chychrun was overall a stronger prospect than Llijigren so not sure if this quite the same.
Surprised to see Chychrun has same points as Morrissey in less games.

Old
03-21-2017, 02:54 PM
csk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkdog View Post
we've seen Liljigren fall pretty far since last summer.
Does anyone think this is the same as Chychrun - where Chychrun was considered ranked 2 or 3 back in fall 2015 and fell way too far?
From what I've read it seems that Chychrun was overall a stronger prospect than Llijigren so not sure if this quite the same.
Surprised to see Chychrun has same points as Morrissey in less games.
Probably just as strong relative to the rest of the draft though, so your point stands

Old
03-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Cal Foote is more like Chychrun. He is getting the can he produce at the NHL type treatment. Basically the same things Chychrun dropped for. Big guy,all the tools oh but he won't be able to produce in the NHL.

My only issue with taking Foote at that 10 range for us is he is a right handed D. He is going to be a very good NHL defender. A top 4 guy for sure and a possible 1/2 guy in his prime.

Old
03-21-2017, 03:02 PM
fkdog
'Noo'

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
Probably just as strong relative to the rest of the draft though, so your point stands
Yeah if thats the case I can't see the first 10 GMs missing again like that.

I know theres lots of other factors that go in to this stuff, so maybe the case is different. Maybe Sergacheyv, Jost, Keller etc all end up being far better than Chychrun. Right now what it appears (again there may be lots of things Morrissey is way better at that Chychrun) that Phoenix got essentially Morrissey at 16th last year. LHD, NHL ready, capable of some offence etc.

This isn't another "Why didnt the Jets trade up to Chychrun instead" - but just makes me think that Liligren will be gone long before the Jets pick. (pending lottery luck)

Old
03-21-2017, 03:10 PM
fkdog
'Noo'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Cal Foote is more like Chychrun. He is getting the can he produce at the NHL type treatment. Basically the same things Chychrun dropped for. Big guy,all the tools oh but he won't be able to produce in the NHL.

My only issue with taking Foote at that 10 range for us is he is a right handed D. He is going to be a very good NHL defender. A top 4 guy for sure and a possible 1/2 guy in his prime.
Same thing with Liljegren however - with Trouba's future still up in the air I'd rather have other pieces to work with. I think Trouba is good enough to trade for a lesser LHD that could still be a top 4 guy ("lesser than trouba" almost includes a LOT of good NHL defenders)

If you're right about Foote (RHD Chychrun that is dropping for same reasons) then I'd be fine with him at 10. I don't want to assume anything about Trouba yet. I thought Foote had fallen farther than Chychurn though and I'm not sure he was ranked quite as high at the start (Chychrun and Liljegren were both at 2 in the pre-draft year)

Old
03-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Channelcat

9th place now. That was very costly tonight

Old
03-21-2017, 10:01 PM
loupie

Quote:

It's funny that some posters except to see any significant change in goaltending or defense when we're 90% through the season and there hasn't be any improvement yet.

Old
03-21-2017, 10:13 PM
fkdog
'Noo'

FROM what i've read this is the year that anything short of top 2 is almost the same.

If theres a year to completely blow the tank this is it

We already got Laine.

Old
03-21-2017, 10:16 PM
JetBlue420

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie View Post
It's funny that some posters except to see any significant change in goaltending or defense when we're 90% through the season and there hasn't be any improvement yet.
Probably not the best time to bring this up after playing pretty good D vs Philly and Hutch playing well

Old
03-21-2017, 10:59 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
If we beat the Kings in reg or OT we will tie them in points and ROW

Old
03-21-2017, 11:23 PM
angrymnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
There's a factoid to feel great about when the team is drafting 10th or worse.

Old
03-22-2017, 12:16 AM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
And lose the draft tiebreaker to them as well

Closed Thread